• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ace Combat 6 images (with HUD)

Superfrog

Looks awesome, can't wait!

I don't care about the slight aliasing, but what bothers me a little bit is the missing self-shadowing. This (and getting the lighting done right) is something that adds so much to the graphics. Especially the AWACS aircraft looks really dull without any shadowing (AC6 screenshot mirrored for comparison):

4pey6wg.jpg

It's true there is a lot of aliasing in the in-game shots, but it may well look better when it gets released, and it probably looks much better in motion right now. People concerned about the lack of next-gen increase need to realize this is the first AC game that's ever had an online component.

OMG :eek:

Guess i'm gonna have to get a 360 sooner then expected, i won't be able to wait for the PS3 release.

My wallet is hurting badly now ;(

jett

D-Member
Superfrog said:

I don't care about the slight aliasing, but what bothers me a little bit is the missing self-shadowing. This (and getting the lighting done right) is something that adds so much to the graphics. Especially the AWACS aircraft looks really dull without any shadowing (AC6 screenshot mirrored for comparison):

4pey6wg.jpg

This is something you'll have to live with. In the AC games, the only detailed aircraft with complex shadowing and lighting is your own. Everything else uses a noticeably downgraded model. Looks like it's not changing in AC6. On the plus side, when you're busy breaking the sound barrier you don't really notice this shit in the game. :p

Crypto

Banned
I wonder if the self shadowing is only on the player planes now, one of the new shots actually has some, but it's light.

M3d10n

Crypto said:
I wonder if the self shadowing is only on the player planes now, one of the new shots actually has some, but it's light.

I think those are part of the painting, which might look like shadows from some angles, not actual shadows.

Lacking self-shadows is a bit sad, since a flight sim is arguably the genre where they should be the easiest to implement: It's always outdoors, so you only need to care about the sun. Also, there's hardly more than 2 models very close to the camera, and they'll rarely be close enough to shadow each other, so independent shadow buffers per model (allocated to the planes closest to the camera) aren't a problem.

I think that this, along with other things, kinda shows that Namco hasn't really grasped next-gen techniques yet. They're almost applying PS2 concepts with more leg room.

Crypto

Banned
M3d10n said:
I think those are part of the painting, which might look like shadows from some angles, not actual shadows.

Lacking self-shadows is a bit sad, since a flight sim is arguably the genre where they should be the easiest to implement: It's always outdoors, so you only need to care about the sun. Also, there's hardly more than 2 models very close to the camera, and they'll rarely be close enough to shadow each other, so independent shadow buffers per model (allocated to the planes closest to the camera) aren't a problem.

I think that this, along with other things, kinda shows that Namco hasn't really grasped next-gen techniques yet. They're almost applying PS2 concepts with more leg room.

Ace Combat 4 on PS2 actually had self shadowing, so I doubt this game will fully lack it at least.

The shot I'm talking about is http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5477/1228_0003.jpg

I think that is self shadowing.

andthebeatgoeson

jett said:
This is something you'll have to live with. In the AC games, the only detailed aircraft with complex shadowing and lighting is your own. Everything else uses a noticeably downgraded model. Looks like it's not changing in AC6. On the plus side, when you're busy breaking the sound barrier you don't really notice this shit in the game. :p
Makes sense, you don't ever get that close to see all those details. If they make some concessions to increase your plane's detail by decreasing the detail of a plane I'll either blow up with a missle from a quarter mile away, then I'm all for it. 2, if the ground textures look bad while flying '50 feet above ground', then that's ok, because I'm not usually flying 50 feet above ground.

champain6wc0.jpg

Look at that, it's fricken beautiful.

SonnyBoy

Most of the time I'm close to the ground once the normal mechanics of the game start to bore me. I start to fly in between buildings and under bridges and thats when I start to yearn for more actual at the lower level. Nothing against AC, that's just me.

Crypto

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
I just always wanted to dive down into a city, fly past a bunch of skyscrapers and use them as cover to get someone off my ass.

Since AC isn't a strongly realism based game, they should do things like this, it would be awesome.

Xdrive05

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Hello Google Earth images of Mt. St. Helens! Glad to see you make an appearance in this AC6 thread.

So glad to be here, Hitler. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Jube3

Man online co-op with friends is gonna be a blast. Cant wait for this one. This fall is gonna hurt the wallet yet again -_-

Das-J

Law of the West
Way too much shit in that hud. During a landing sequence I don't need to see all of that other stuff.

Agreed, that screen is entirely too busy... give the player some focus for ****'s sake! Still, this looks awesome and will be a day 1 PStripple purchase!

Crypto

Banned
kassatsu said:
Way too much shit in that hud. During a landing sequence I don't need to see all of that other stuff.

I'm amazed the game even has landing sequences.

HUD is pretty nice IMO.

blue squares allied points, green and red are targets, ammo on right, damaged to the left of it. squad speak and radar on left. target cam top left, extra tutorial text top center...

Really I wouldn't want any less than that.

every freakin time I convince myself I'm not going to buy this game you guys post awesome screens like this to make me want it again...when is it coming out?

Crypto said:
I'm amazed the game even has landing sequences.

HUD is pretty nice IMO.

blue squares allied points, green and red are targets, ammo on right, damaged to the left of it. squad speak and radar on left. target cam top left, extra tutorial text top center...

Really I wouldn't want any less than that.

Ever played an Ace Combat game? :p

The game even has mid-air refuelling sequences now.

Superfrog

Crypto said:
Ace Combat 4 on PS2 actually had self shadowing, so I doubt this game will fully lack it at least.

The shot I'm talking about is http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5477/1228_0003.jpg

I think that is self shadowing.
Well spotted, it indeed looks like self-shadowing. Also in this screenshot. It seems to be lacking in various other screens, though. I guess we will have to wait for the first trailer/video.

Btw, I will play the game from cockpit view anyway, it's just nitpicking. :D

Flo_Evans

Namco continues to impress...

looks like the PS2 version running in HD. 60fps I hope at least? Ah well online should be awsome. :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Superfrog said:

4pey6wg.jpg

The heck? What's up with next-gen games and lack of selfshadows?:/

EDIT: Yeah I also always play in cockpit view and they improved it this time around (you can even see your knees).

BTW the HUD screen above is not a landing sequence at all.

Crypto

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Ever played an Ace Combat game? :p

The game even has mid-air refuelling sequences now.

Last I played was 4, before that 1, I think.

None of those games had anything like that.

The smoke looks so ****ing awesome, it's not really important but I wonder if it's interactive in any way/ like if you fly through it doing mach 1+ if there will be any dispersal? That's not a realistic expectation as that would be a pretty intensive calculation to add to the engine but maybe in the next iteration of the game we can see something like this:
060516f9712c956zr4.jpg

Crypto said:
Last I played was 4, before that 1, I think.

None of those games had anything like that.

I'm 98% sure 4 had landing sequences, i left 2% out cause it might have been just 5 and mistaking the two :p

Crypto

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I'm 98% sure 4 had landing sequences, i left 2% out cause it might have been just 5 and mistaking the two :p

It didn't, I owned 4, beat it completely, and I even made a ~2 hour long VHS tape of me doing so...

MickeyKnox said:
The smoke looks so ****ing awesome, it's not really important but I wonder if it's interactive in any way/ like if you fly through it doing mach 1+ if there will be any dispersal? That's not a realistic expectation as that would be a pretty intensive calculation to add to the engine but maybe in the next iteration of the game we can see something like this:IMG]

is that the flying spaghetti monster?

spwolf

Monsterland said:
I'm pretty sure someone posted some Ace Combat screenshots here a couple of months ago and it looked a whole lot better than these. Actually, it looked amazing. I should've known they were bullshots.

Still, it looks ok, but some of those shots look like ass.

well, we can honestly say that PS2 version got owned :)

Crypto

Banned
Ah I just looked it up, apparently you could completely skip the takeoff and landing in AC4, plus a lot of times the missions wouldn't even offer you landing...

kassatsu

Banned
Crypto said:
Ah I just looked it up, apparently you could completely skip the takeoff and landing in AC4, plus a lot of times the missions wouldn't even offer you landing...
You could go land to rearm your plane, that was the whole point of it.

Crypto

Banned
kassatsu said:
You could go land to rearm your plane, that was the whole point of it.

Well I must have never needed it, because I never used it once, and I got up to that
big underground base you have to fly through with the fire falling in the sky

ElectricBlue187 said:
is that the flying spaghetti monster?
That would be a most beautiful capture of the effects of jet-wash as that C17 flies through the contrails left by countermeasures.
Yes it is.
so is this:
hercules4ru8.jpg

RumFore

Banned
Ace Combat 4 does have landing sequences. I played the game to death so I know. When I first landed on the carrier I thought it was the coolest thing.

Maggot9

Banned
kassatsu said:
1228_0002.jpg

it has exactly the same amount of info as AC5 or Zero. Blue= friendly. Red = target

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'd buy this game if i didn't know it was a timed exclusive.... damn those pics, must resist temptation and impulse buy.....>_<

Bulla564 said:
The wait for AC7 on PS3 is going to be a hard one... damn you Namco.

yes very hard.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
kassatsu said:
1228_0002.jpg

Uh... he isn't landing. Those red boxes are highlighted targets. This your first AC game?

neojubei said:
I'd buy this game if i didn't know it was a timed exclusive.... damn those pics, must resist temptation and impulse buy.....>_<

You own a fucking 360. It's alright to buy a game for it every now and then. I won't tell Sony on you.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
recklessmind said:
Uh... he isn't landing. Those red boxes are highlighted targets. This your first AC game?

Omg... I'm a jackass. The ****ing landing gear is out... *slaps forehead*

Top Bottom