• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Atari 2600+ from PLAION. Plays 2600 and 7800 carts.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The Atari 2600+ has been introduced by both Atari and PLAION. The Atari 2600+ is a modern recreation of its 1980 counterpart coming packed with 10 of Atari's most widely known games in their history ranging from Adventure and Missle Command. The all-new CX40+ Joystick Controller is also included with the Atari 2600+ offering a one-to-one recreation of the original 2600 controller to offer players nostalgia from the ‘70s and '80s, The Atari 2600+ is launching on November 17 for $129.99.

WIth the home brew scene being so busy right now for the Artari and producing real carts I am not surprised someone wanted to do this.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Where can I give them my money?
Here: https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus

Please...be a mark ass MARK like me and buy the games and paddles too!\

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I am. I feel as though not many people appreciate the fun that is playing Warlords or Breakout with the paddle controllers.
"They are ants Michael...THEY ARE ANTS" (familyguy.gif)

Let them SUFFER from the lack perfectly controlled Warlords deflections and the bliss of sliding that Breakout paddle across the screen.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have an original one, but the price on this is tempting. I had a lot of fun playing the Atari, loved Pitfall.

ElRenoRaven

I'll be buying this no doubt. Regret giving my old 2600 and games to a cousin about 20 years ago. Wouldn't mind a modern version just for collecting reasons. It'll give me a reason to rebuild my collection.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
The 2600 was my very first console and the discovery of video games. Lots of good memory, but today it's just nostalgia and you can play those old games on emulators. Most of them are very simple outdated pieces of video games history but remember The 2600 had 4 kb cartridges and 128 bytes of ram ! Yeah.

MrA

Banned
The 2600 was my very first console and the discovery of video games. Lots of good memory, but today it's just nostalgia and you can play those old games on emulators. Most of them are very simple outdated pieces of video games history but remember The 2600 had 4 kb cartridges and 128 bytes of ram ! Yeah.
But it does have fun games, asteroid breakout, space invaders etc were never meant to be played for hours but playing a single game for a high score is great, sure half the library is trash but they were trash back then too
Anyway 7800 support is a big deal (going to use my homemade robotron stick) but I wonder if the emulator will handle the ambitious homebrew add-ons like the melody cart and whatever Rikki and Vikki uses,
The supercharger seems to be supported as it lists one supercharger game as compatible and ballplayer working is good news as well

LordBritish

Just got my shipping notice!!! Its going under the tree for my wife... I have about 30 carts in the basement on an old 2600 that has to be hooked up via s-video or something old like that.... should be cool trying this out christmas morning.. got two controllers, gonna be some combat action going on

I wonder what I can get for that atari to offset this...

Last edited:

T-0800

I'm tempted to get on of these eventually. 2600 was my first console in 1982.

Still home to the best version of Space Invaders thanks to the different modes. I could make a top 20 list for the machine and would consider all of them fun to still play today.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
There's free emulators on PC with the entire library of both 2600 and 7800 though. I have 70 000 games over 65 different consoles on a single drive (yeah it's a bit too much ^^). But if you want a physical console why not.

Krathoon

The annoying part about it is that the 2600+ is a rom dumper and it does not support all 2600 cartridges.

A Retron 77 flashed with Stella and roms is way better.

You can't even use the Harmony cartridge with it because it dumps the roms. You have to flash the cart with a rom for it to work.

Last edited:

Krathoon

For some reason, they have a hell of a time getting the damn thing to support all of the original cartridges.

It is nuts. It can't be that hard. Just precisely emulate the original motherboard and stop doing half assed emulation.

Better yet, just recreate the original damn hardware.

Last edited:

Krathoon

There's free emulators on PC with the entire library of both 2600 and 7800 though. I have 70 000 games over 65 different consoles on a single drive (yeah it's a bit too much ^^). But if you want a physical console why not.
Oh, yeah. You can download the entire library in under a minute. The files are so small.

The same goes for C64 and Amiga games.

dcx4610

No FPGA, no buy. Everything can emulate Atari and there's no reason to have a standalone box to do it unless it offers FPGA.

dcx4610

You can use your real carts if you have them and new game carts are being made.
It's just ROM dumping them and emulate theming them via software. It's no different from a Retron and other clone devices. If it was an FPGA where it's actually playing the game off the cart and simulating the hardware like an Analogue device, then I'd be interested.

Krathoon

Yes. It needs to be an FPGA. Enough of the half assed emulation.

You should be be able to play all cartridges like an actual Atari.

They are too cheap to do it right.

Krathoon

I have been cleaning some carts to try out.

I got my Spiderman cart.

I ran into some trouble with the Demon Attack cart, but it worked.

I have been using contact cleaner on them with a Q-tip. That stuff eats off corrosion.

Krathoon

You can easily collect Atari games.

I guess it is because they are so low tech, people don't want them.

Red5

I had two Atari 2600's growing up, so I was tempted to get one for the nostalgia value but then I fired up my Atari collection on Steam then realized you can only go back for so long, I think mid 80's arcade, NES and Master System games is my cutoff point.

Havoc2049

I had two Atari 2600's growing up, so I was tempted to get one for the nostalgia value but then I fired up my Atari collection on Steam then realized you can only go back for so long, I think mid 80's arcade, NES and Master System games is my cutoff point.
Some of the older 2600 games are rather basic, but some of the 1982-1984 Atari Silver Label, Activision and a few other 3rd party games hold up fairly well and are fun today. The 2600+ also plays 7800 games, which is from the NES/SMS era. The new Atari is also re-releasing some phisical 7800 games at $30, some of which go for like $200+ these days on ebay.

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Honestly I really can't see how anyone would wanna spend time playing Atari games of all things, I mean these where all pretty basic AF and even back in the day when I got one for Xmas it was pretty shite..

Anyways fair play to Yee's not my cup of tea

Last edited:
Top Bottom