• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Banjo Kazooie site launches

Gigglepoo

TheOddOne said:
Just my 2 cents.

The reason we aint seen much of BK, Alan Wake etc. is because of Too Human. I think Too Human gave MGS a hart attack, so there carefull to release anything then a complete working build.

Viva Piñata also got a lot of bad press before it was released. There is nothing to gain by showing a game too soon.

Orodreth

TheOddOne said:
Just my 2 cents.

The reason we aint seen much of BK, Alan Wake etc. is because of Too Human. I think Too Human gave MGS a hart attack, so there carefull to release anything then a complete working build.

Off-topic, your avatar is nomiya maki isnt?

Michan

Gigglepoo said:
It's a logic/problem solving puzzle game. It's more akin to the awesome Layton than Tetris Attack. Since you (and every living person) couldn't finish the game, replay value doesn't seem that relevant.

I'll agree with you that Layton is an awesome game, but comparing it to It's Mr Pants is laughable. Remember that Layton also comes with beautiful graphics and cut scenes, an intriguing story, and catchy music. Also, unlike Pants, each of Layton's puzzles are very differently constructed from the previous.

Pants' graphics were complete and utter tosh, and the audio drove me insane. The puzzles were all it had.

I couldn't complete Pants, no. It lasted me several bus trips before I got impossibly stuck and found that re-playing older puzzles was a bore. So yes, replay value is absolutely relevant. Layton, on the other hand, keeps me interested with the story and other items, so even after completing, I wouldn't mind playing it again just to progress from A - B (sort of like watching a film over, I guess).

If you're going to compare Layton, at least compare it to something that doesn't feel like a filler game shat out by a couple of programmers.

DuckRacer

pswii60 said:
That's why I wouldn't be surprised if MS actually have a few surprises up their sleeves for 2008 in terms of game releases. Rare, for example, mentioned in a recent scribes that the VP team has been working on an unannounced game that should also see a 2008 release.
Link?

stotch

Banned
Duck said:

http://rareware.com/extras/scribes/13feb08/index.html

pswii60 said:
That's why I wouldn't be surprised if MS actually have a few surprises up their sleeves for 2008 in terms of game releases. Rare, for example, mentioned in a recent scribes that the VP team has been working on an unannounced game that should also see a 2008 release.

Wikipedia says the VP team is the Banjo team, but

George K. said:
You are correct - Gregg Mayles, the creator of Banjo-Kazooie, is still the lead designer of the new Banjo game.

Is the VP team the Banjo team while the Banjo team is Gregg Mayles + a new team?

beerbelly

Banned
Keep this thread going. Maybe George will be able to answer some more questions in the morning (it's like 12.50am UK time now).

Gigglepoo

Michan said:
If you're going to compare Layton, at least compare it to something that doesn't feel like a filler game shat out by a couple of programmers.

I guess you just don't like spatial reasoning. I thought it was the best puzzle game for the GBA and one of the most unique ones I've ever played.

TheOddOne

Orodreth said:
Off-topic, your avatar is nomiya maki isnt?

Nope, its the cover of a rap album called ''Time:Line'' by dutch producer Nicolay (of Foreign Exchange) and rapper Kay. Its a very cool album and too bad it going to be forgotten by the mainstream heads.

Read the reviews:
http://www.plugonemag.com/reviews/reviews-3-08/nicolay-kay-timeline.html
http://www.imprintmagazine.org/2008/03/19/nicolaykaytimeline/
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/54780/nicolay-kay-timeline/

George K.

stotch said:
Is the VP team the Banjo team while the Banjo team is Gregg Mayles + a new team?

It's more the other way round. The Banjo and Piñata teams are separate entities and Gregg has acted as design lead on both games. Banjo Team is and always has been Banjo Team and VP Team are hard at work on their own projects, if that makes any sense (you're right, it's getting late).

Btw, try refreshing the Banjo teaser site - we've tweaked it a bit. Hope you like.

MCD

260bxw7.jpg

nice.

The new Banjo Design is basically the same as the difference between Mario's normal design and the Brawl design - it's more rugged and real and such. I personally don't like the N64 style banjo, it just reeks of early CG. Honestly, I wish Nintendo would stop rendering Mario in this way and move on to the Brawl design. Ironically, Zelda works better with the cartoony cell shading and whatnot, and Mario just looks badass with the more real design, as does Peach with detail in her dress and stuff, and Bowser with cool detailing on the scales.. etcetera.

mario.jpg

vs
220px-BrawlMario.jpg

Raide

Conker on the Xbox will give you some idea of how they may approach this but I am getting the feeling that Viva Piñata was the start of something for RARE. :lol

I cannot wait for this game!

The new Banjo Design is basically the same as the difference between Mario's normal design and the Brawl design - it's more rugged and real and such. I personally don't like the N64 style banjo, it just reeks of early CG. Honestly, I wish Nintendo would stop rendering Mario in this way and move on to the Brawl design. Ironically, Zelda works better with the cartoony cell shading and whatnot, and Mario just looks badass with the more real design, as does Peach with detail in her dress and stuff, and Bowser with cool detailing on the scales.. etcetera.

I totally disagree with everything you just said.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
manueldelalas said:
Wow so you'll tell me next that SFA, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, BK GBA, It's Mr. Pants, Sabrewulf GBA, PD zero were all great games?

I'll tell you, all of them (even Kameo) were shit (pretty shit). They couldn't even do the Conker port right. How can you hope BK3 will be good?

I think that Rare has gone the way of Sonic... someone said Sonic was all about speed and all Sonic games that are released are faster but worse than the last one; then someone said Rare is all about pretty graphics and all Rare games have been a beautiful unplayable crap.

I haven't played Viva Piñata, and I won't because it's not my kind of game, I don't like chore games.
Don't be such a troll! Starfox Adventures sucked, granted, Grabbed by the Ghoulies on the other hand is quite underrated. Far from a masterpiece but a really fun little game. BK GBA is a nice game too and Kameo is awesome. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Conker remake. It's sthe same nice game with gorgrous graphics. I think Banjo-Threeie will be an incredibly great game and I hope it will be up to one of my N64's favourites, B-K :).

My God! If anyone ever wanted to see just how much snobby, assholish "hardcore" gamers are, they just have to look at how Rare gets treated.

Seriously, that company can not catch a break. I guess thats what happens when you "switch sides".

Sydle

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I wonder if the blueprint theme could be some kind of indication of what's new about the series, or if it's just a random template.

The Christmas card had a bunch of gadgets in it, plus there have been mechanical elements in previous Banjo's (Grunty was mechanical in GBA's Banjo, a level called Grunty Industries in Tooie featured a factory, as well as Gruntilda's tank).

Gigglepoo

Vast Inspiration said:
My God! If anyone ever wanted to see just how much snobby, assholish "hardcore" gamers are, they just have to look at how Rare gets treated.

Seriously, that company can not catch a break. I guess thats what happens when you "switch sides".

It's easier to have an opinion on a bunch of games if you don't take the time to actually play them. For as bad as Grabbed by the Ghoulies sold, it's startling just how many people have strong opinions about it. I find it curious that some people say Rare hasn't made a good game since 2000 (or whatever arbitrary number they come up with). I know if I played a half dozen straight games from one developer that I thought were awful, I would stop playing. But the Rare haters apparently dive right into games they know they'll hate. Utterly baffling.

MCD

Vast Inspiration said:

note: avatars max res. is 90x120.

I'm actually psyched for a new Banjo. The only briefly played the original Banjo on N64, but I own Banjo Kazooie on GBA which was pretty good actually. Looking forward to Banjo coming to the 360. We need more next-gen platformers.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
pswii60 said:
Well, it's obvious that MS have been listening to Dyack. They are now very careful as to when they announce a game, and also very careful about when they release the media and information to the public.

Ninja Gaiden II was announced last year, and it was clearly far along in to development at that point. The first time we saw actual Fable 2 footage was GDC and again, clearly far along in development. Gears has only just been announced for a 2008 release, and even now we don't know anything about it, nor have we seen any media.

I didn't read the latest scribes writeup, but if the last line of your post has any truth to it...

:D

EDIT: Isn't the VP team the Banjo team (or at least analogous to it, plus or minus a few developers here and there?)

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
The game will be familiar to fans of the original games, but will also have a new core gameplay mechanic. What this is is unknown so far, but it apparently approaches Jiggy "tasks" differently.

I wouldn't be surprised if this meant the duo is going into space and the new gameplay feature is gravity:)

And even though I still like Rare they're pretty hit or miss now. Not as reliable as they used to be, but I blame most of that on the MS purchase and multiple platform changes. Hopefully a solid VP -> Banjo 3 combo can reverse the trend.

MCD

Dupy said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this meant the duo is going into space and the new gameplay feature is gravity:)

And even though I still like Rare they're pretty hit or miss now. Not as reliable as they used to be, but I blame most of that on the MS purchase and multiple platform changes. Hopefully a solid VP -> Banjo 3 combo can reverse the trend.
"This gameplay mechanic may be something as of yet unseen in any other game."

you missed this part :p

SPEA

I adored Viva Pinata. it was a phenomenal game. I have a high amount of confidence in Rare. If you played VP, you should too.

Vast Inspiration said:
Yeah, and? Mine is 90x133.
Fixed

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
George K. said:
I really wouldn't base your ultimate judgements of the final Banjo model from what you've glimpsed on the teaser site if I were you - all shall be revealed in due course, not that long to wait now...

God, this is what Dyack said three months prior to the Too Human media extravaganza. If three months is "not that long," then...

It's natural for one to conclude that if Banjo Three was not announced as a part of Microsoft's 2008 entertainment software portfolio at GDC (according to Shane/Garnett on one of the first 1UP Yours GDC podcasts) and George K., presumably a Rare developer, claim that the title (BK3) is on track for a 2008 release, it would be just as reasonable to make this declaration: Alan Wake will too be released in '08.

:D Come on Finland, you have raging internet-based partisans fueling the development fire.

Banned
Vast Inspiration said:

Switched sides....no offense but no one defends Star Fox Adventure.

Rare has made shitty games, a lot of shitty games. They don't get treated any worse or better than any other developer.

I'd actually be very sad if they didn't use the Banjo model from the teaser. He seemed like a crazy breakfast cereal mascot. I love the Banjo series to death, but I can admit that it's a cool new style. Purists suck, new Banjo rocks(ed?).

Gigglepoo said:
It's easier to have an opinion on a bunch of games if you don't take the time to actually play them. For as bad as Grabbed by the Ghoulies sold, it's startling just how many people have strong opinions about it. I find it curious that some people say Rare hasn't made a good game since 2000 (or whatever arbitrary number they come up with). I know if I played a half dozen straight games from one developer that I thought were awful, I would stop playing. But the Rare haters apparently dive right into games they know they'll hate. Utterly baffling.

If I could nod any more than while reading your post, my head would fall off.

Side Note - Just wanted to tell you, my girlfriend absolutely loves your name. She cracks up all the time and now uses it "gigglepoo" on a regular basis.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
McDragon said:
"This gameplay mechanic may be something as of yet unseen in any other game."

you missed this part :p

I kid, I kid! I actually hope another big platformer uses space/gravity in their next game. Galaxy was a blast.

Gigglepoo

Vast Inspiration said:
Side Note - Just wanted to tell you, my girlfriend absolutely loves your name. She cracks up all the time and now uses it "gigglepoo" on a regular basis.

Has she seen my Raptor Rex?

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I wonder if the blueprint theme could be some kind of indication of what's new about the series, or if it's just a random template.

Something like Keys to the City or Forge would make me wet, maybe Microsoft's answer to LBP? Some interview with Rare said there was co-op iirc...

Ah, fuck it I'm just setting myself up for disappointment :(

Top Bottom