• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Banjo Kazooie site launches

Wizpig

Michan said:
I've been trying to get my girlfriend playing the original over the past month, and she found the title odd. In fact, she seems to find the whole game odd.
I played the first two Banjo games when i didn't know English, since it's not my main language, and believe me i found both more than odd.:lol
But so fucking awesome :(
Those games are my childhood along with Mario & Zelda.

Michan

Wizpig said:
I played the first two Banjo games when i didn't know English, since it's not my main language, and believe me i found both more than odd.:lol
But so fucking awesome :(
Those games are my childhood along with Mario & Zelda.

Let's take a step back for a second.

You play as a talking bear
You're wearing shorts and a backpack
Your sidekick is a foul-mouthed bird, who lives in said backpack
With her, you become a flying bear
You're fighting against a butt-ugly witch who thinks she is the most beautiful thing conceived since time itself

Put all of the characters, enemies, and complete mess of worlds into the mix, and it's hard to understand how Rare made it all work. It's almost as if they wrote the entire game at the local pub.

beerbelly

Banned
Dupy said:
No offense but no one likes the "wink wink" stuff. Is an unveiling imminent?

I don't like to be doing the wink wink stuff too. But there's a reason some of us seem very confident with this one :D

Michan said:

You're fighting against a butt-ugly witch who thinks she is the most beautiful thing conceived since time itself

wat?

Michan said:
She aint no Blue Tit

RIMSHOT.jpg

FirewalkR

George K. said:
Believe you me, Banjo 3 will be a showcase for Rare's "technical expertise", as you put it.

I'm dying to see how far they can push the 360! I bought Kameo recently (after seeing pics here at gaf the graphics whore in me couldn't resist) and it's quite good especially for a launch title. Haven't played much yet but those environments with all the pretty vegetation and the first time I rode a horse against (through!) that huge army already made the purchase worth it. :D And the gameplay is pretty fun too, I thought it would be more of a tech demo but was pleasantly surprised.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Salmonax said:
Wow, how did I not know this? I still consider the original Banjo Kazooie the best platformer ever - not to be confused with the mess of a sequel.

Boy birds don't lay eggs. (or shoot them out their butts as the case may be).

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
George K. said:
Confirmed. In fact, there's a fair bit in the first level that should please long-time Banjo fans.

If at some point you threw in Grunty's life-sized board game from the end of the first game I would be one happy gamer:)

I know this has been said before, but the first two games NEED to be ported to XBLA.

It would both introduce new players to the series and allow old fans to revisit the series. Personally, I'd want to jump in with BK and BT before B3 because its been a good 5 or 6 years since I've played a Banjo game, but I have no way of doing so now that I no longer own a N64.

I know the Banjo team is busy on B3, but surely they don't need the original team for such a small project. It could be outsourced to fucking Carbonated Games for all I care - it just NEEDS to happen.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Koopakiller said:
I know this has been said before, but the first two games NEED to be ported to XBLA.

It would both introduce new players to the series and allow old fans to revisit the series. Personally, I'd want to jump in with BK and BT before B3 because its been a good 5 or 6 years since I've played a Banjo game, but I have no way of doing so now that I no longer own a N64.

I know the Banjo team is busy on B3, but surely they don't need the original team for such a small project. It could be outsourced to fucking Carbonated Games for all I care - it just NEEDS to happen.

I'd buy them both the second they were online. In fact, I recently bought a used N64 just so I could play them again. I had been hoping that they'd show up on Wii Virtual Console (which is why I foolishly sold my N64 to begin with, d'oh), but that seems unlikely. XBLA would be great.

beerbelly

Banned
Koopakiller said:

I agree. I can't wait to play Banjo Tooie without framerate problems (which was the biggest complaint for the game).

Koopakiller is right!

By the way, I'm a bit scared by all those "this will be a total new Banjo, and not a platformer" things. I just want it to be the way I love it, how I loved to play it when I was young. I daresay that BK and BT are my favourite platforming games ever. It was just so weird and original and good at the same time.

I hope there's no spoken voices, but only the talking sound effects with text. Otherwise we would probably miss the hilarious comments from Grunty and Kazooie.

Gigglepoo

Pizza Luigi said:
By the way, I'm a bit scared by all those "this will be a total new Banjo, and not a platformer" things.

It's built around a new gameplay mechanic, like Mario Galaxy with gravity. It's still a platformer. How weird would it be if it didn't evolve at all in 8 years?

George K. said:
Bingo! It wouldn't be much of a 'teaser' site if it didn't do any teasing, would it?
I knew it! Come on people, let's get to speculating! Maybe it's some kind of wacky stuff where you have to build the levels as you go.

George K. said:
Believe you me, Banjo 3 will be a showcase for Rare's "technical expertise", as you put it.

Viva Pinata for me is the best use of art and technology I've seen this generation, if the next Banjo and Kazooie game is even more so...wow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You know what they GOTTA do... put in at least a reference to the whole Stop N Swop stuff from the first game. If that's what George K means by 'something that pleases long time fans', I'll be more than happy.

GreekWolf

Koopakiller said:
This.

And was it a figment of my twisted imagination, or did I read/hear something about Mad Monster Mansion making an appearance in Threeie?

SPEA

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I knew it! Come on people, let's get to speculating! Maybe it's some kind of wacky stuff where you have to build the levels as you go.
Thats what I was thinking. How would that work though?

Gigglepoo said:
It's built around a new gameplay mechanic, like Mario Galaxy with gravity. It's still a platformer. How weird would it be if it didn't evolve at all in 8 years?

Judging from what I've read, this new mechanic seems to heavily relate to the game's multiplayer component. Needless to say, I'm skeptical.

...By the way, I've recently played the Banjo-Kazooie games from the Nintendo 64, and I don't think they should be classified as part of the platforming genre, as some here have also suggested.

Gigglepoo

TheGrayGhost said:
...By the way, I've recently played the Banjo-Kazooie games from the Nintendo 64, and I don't think they should be classified as part of the platforming genre, as some here have also suggested.

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are exploration heavy 3D platformers. Ratchet and Clank is action heavy with minimal exploration. They are both platformers, but have different focuses. It's rare to see a 3D platformer focus entirely on jumping because jumping doesn't really work in 3D.

I am still wowed by Banjo today. It took the basic, exploration idea of Mario 64 and expanded it to a whole new level. No longer were you lead by rope to the nearest goal. Huge worlds were open and you could do whatever you wanted in whatever way you wanted. The collectables are used to urge gamers through the world, to see everything it has to offer. It's a very unique concept and one that worded extremely well. I hope the exploration is still present in Banjo 3 because no other company seems willing to design complex levels like that anymore.

[Nintex]

BobFromPikeCreek said:
How about:
Each puzzle piece is a piece of the world, you need to collect the "game" together.

Gigglepoo

Just a suggestion: when the big reveal finally happens, Rareware.com should have the MP3 of the theme on their site. Please? Videos and details are great, but they're just a tease. A song from the game would make the wait (...) bearable!

bridegur said:
It works perfectly in Mario Galaxy and the secret levels of Sunshine.

Jumping works perfectly in Super Mario World. Do you really think it's the same in the last two 3D Mario games? The majority of jumping sections require a camera switch to a 2D plane. It always seemed like an idea that was crammed into a 3D platfomer because it was an expected mechanic rather than building a game around the strengths and limitations of your engine. Jumping in 3D can work in small doses, but building a game around it? Why not just made a 2D platformer?

Gigglepoo said:
Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are exploration heavy 3D platformers. Ratchet and Clank is action heavy with minimal exploration. They are both platformers, but have different focuses. It's rare to see a 3D platformer focus entirely on jumping because jumping doesn't really work in 3D.

I think Shigeru Miyamoto has expressed similar thoughts, but I personally think SMG is the closest 3D games have come to true 3D platofming. *Shrugs*

Blueprint theme, eh? Okami-esque influence? I think the most elegant use of a celestial mechanic is the aformentioned SMG, where the Wiimote cursor is used to influence the game-world. Perhaps Banjo and Kazooie acquire/make use of something similar. But whatever it is, I think it has something to do with multiplayer component.

Orodreth

SteveMeister said:
I'd buy them both the second they were online. In fact, I recently bought a used N64 just so I could play them again. I had been hoping that they'd show up on Wii Virtual Console (which is why I foolishly sold my N64 to begin with, d'oh), but that seems unlikely. XBLA would be great.

Me too, i only played the first one but would like to play all again before the new game. I also bought BK last year but for collecting porpuses more than anything as i ended up without an n64 (too many consoles already).

[waving hand]
George, this is the XBLA port you´re looking for.
[/waving hand]

[Nintex] said:
How about:
Each puzzle piece is a piece of the world, you need to collect the "game" together.
That's kind of what I was thinking. From the teaser the world was just a blank white plane. Maybe you have to reconstruct the world in some manner.

[Nintex]

BobFromPikeCreek said:
That's kind of what I was thinking. From the teaser the world was just a blank white plane. Maybe you have to reconstruct the world in some manner.
It could be awesome, especially if you could collect the pieces in any order.

Kydd BlaZe

Michan said:

Put all of the characters, enemies, and complete mess of worlds into the mix, and it's hard to understand how Rare made it all work. It's almost as if they wrote the entire game at the local pub.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Gwanatu T

I can't wait for this friggin game. We need more awesome platformers and it looks like developers are catching on. Come on Rare, after Kameo I know you can do it.

Also, why all the complaining about Silverlight? It's nice and works just fine.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Gwanatu T said:
I can't wait for this friggin game. We need more awesome platformers and it looks like developers are catching on. Come on Rare, after Kameo I know you can do it.

Also, why all the complaining about Silverlight? It's nice and works just fine.

M$, Ballmer, money, EU, developers, Bill Gates, DOS, IBM. Did I cover everything?

Top Bottom