• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Banjo Kazooie site launches

Angelo

It's gonna be interesting to witness the sales of the third installment.

Will it beat N64's games in terms of sales? Or to put the question in another light: will the mainstream Xbox360 owners care enough to buy this game?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Angelo said:

Will it beat N64's games in terms of sales? Or to put the question in another light: will the mainstream Xbox360 owners care enough to buy this game?

Depends on how Microsoft advertises it and more importantly, their expectations for it. Will it be a slow burner like Viva Pinata? I've said this plenty of times before, but I fully expect this to be the best looking game to be released this year. That is a big plus if it comes to pass. It isn't going to sell like Mario Galaxy did, as that is unrealistic. I think anything north of 300K first month in NPD will be great.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Angelo said:

I thought Banjo-Tooie didn't do so well because of the poor state of the N64 in late 2000. Or was that just Conker?

beerbelly

Banned
Dupy said:
I thought Banjo-Tooie didn't do so well because of the poor state of the N64 in late 2000. Or was that just Conker?

Tooie released more than a year after the release of the Dreamcast and a month after PS2's launch AND Zelda: Majora's Mask. It was heavily overshadowed.

If Banjo 1 and Tooie went up on XBLA, I would be willing to pay top dollar for them. Banjo is my favorite videogame series of all time and I would love to relive the memories on the 360.

It is updated!!!

It's bigger and instead of Banjo's stupid face there is the silhouette of Banjo and Kazooie OHMYGOD MeGaToN is coming

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
This is so exciting! Two new Rare games for '08! Banjo and whatever else the unnannounced title is!

And....ALAN WAKE!! COME ON REMEDY.

George K.: as a Rare employee and ergo, an individual who works under Microsoft Games Studios who's office of employment resides closer to Finland than any of Microsoft's other wholy-owned studios (not sure about Lionhead, actually), do you know if Alan Wake will......well, you can't answer that; let me ask something else. Will we see some substantial Alan Wake media trickle out of MGS this year?

Gigglepoo

dirtmonkey37 said:
This is so exciting! Two new Rare games for '08! Banjo and whatever else the unnannounced title is!

Don't forget about Viva Piñata DS and their unannounced XBLA game. They might have four games this year. And we still don't know what Chris Seaver (Conker) or the PDZ guys are working on.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Gigglepoo said:
Don't forget about Viva Piñata DS and their unannounced XBLA game. They might have four games this year. And we still don't know what Chris Seaver (Conker) or the PDZ guys are working on.

I don't care for Viva Piñata DS much, having already emptied thirty-hours into the 360 rendition, and as far as XBLA goes, unless their arcade title is Marble Madness or something of the like, I doubt I'll have significant interest in it, as I'm not a major XBLA consumer.

But two new games for '08 is great. I'm sure Chris Seaver's and the PDZ team's games will be pushed into '09. Microsoft needs to at least start building up a potential portfolio for the year ahead.

Besides...who knows when ALAN WAKE will wake us up and deliver the "total mind****" that 1UP's Bryan Intihar proclaimed after being treated to a non-participatory gameplay demonstration some ten odd months ago.

Darkjad

Neo Member
George, I just want to thank you for being out here and giving us what little information you can. Between the information you've been giving us (not a kid's game, Banjo-creator is lead designer, etc) and Rare's previous games (Kameo, VP, as well as older games), I'm getting extremely excited.

Unless the game's final revelation includes a Battle Rifle, count me in for a day 1 buyer.

George K.

Darkjad said:
Unless the game's final revelation includes a Battle Rifle, count me in for a day 1 buyer.

Heh, I'm happy to report that we haven't gone all 'Banjo X-Treme' on you - the charm and tone of the game remains the same as the first two games in the series.

Shiggy

George K. said:
Heh, I'm happy to report that we haven't gone all 'Banjo X-Treme' on you - the charm and tone of the game remains the same as the first two games in the series.

Don't forget the Grunty's Revenge ;D

nightez

Banned
APZonerunner said:
The new Banjo Design is basically the same as the difference between Mario's normal design and the Brawl design - it's more rugged and real and such. I personally don't like the N64 style banjo, it just reeks of early CG. Honestly, I wish Nintendo would stop rendering Mario in this way and move on to the Brawl design. Ironically, Zelda works better with the cartoony cell shading and whatnot, and Mario just looks badass with the more real design, as does Peach with detail in her dress and stuff, and Bowser with cool detailing on the scales.. etcetera.

mario.jpg

vs
220px-BrawlMario.jpg

I disagree with you on everything. I prefer the old Banjo to the new 'boxy' looking one. I also prefer the Mario design from Mario64 to the Mario in Brawl.

nightez

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are exploration heavy 3D platformers. Ratchet and Clank is action heavy with minimal exploration. They are both platformers, but have different focuses. It's rare to see a 3D platformer focus entirely on jumping because jumping doesn't really work in 3D.

I am still wowed by Banjo today. It took the basic, exploration idea of Mario 64 and expanded it to a whole new level. No longer were you lead by rope to the nearest goal. Huge worlds were open and you could do whatever you wanted in whatever way you wanted. The collectables are used to urge gamers through the world, to see everything it has to offer. It's a very unique concept and one that worded extremely well. I hope the exploration is still present in Banjo 3 because no other company seems willing to design complex levels like that anymore.

I'd actually call the Banjo games "adventure heavy". Its one of those platform games which isn't really sure whether its an adventure game or a platformer.

dirtmonkey37 said:
I cannot wait until the media previews BK3. I hope it's not in June (E3) ...I can't wait that long...

June would be my guess (being that E3 is in July).
Basically a little after Ninja Gaiden 2 releases is when I expect to see some media/previews on Banjo 3.

And we will say wow.

beerbelly said:
Neither do I. I mean, the new one is not much better but it's an improvement over the old design:

2h849j4.jpg

WTF are you saying? The old design (this one) is infinitely better then the new, pathetic, squared, anticreative art of Banjo and Kazooie that we saw with the teaser.

George K. said:
I really wouldn't base your ultimate judgements of the final Banjo model from what you've glimpsed on the teaser site if I were you - all shall be revealed in due course, not that long to wait now...

Ahà. That's a GREAT news. Thanks.

George K. said:
Confirmed. In fact, there's a fair bit in the first level that should please long-time Banjo fans.

WOW. This interests me a lot. I hope that you will put into this game A LOT OF BRITISH HUMOR.

FFChris

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WOW. This interests me a lot. I hope that you will put into this game A LOT OF BRITISH HUMOR.

Being a Brit myself, this is one of the things that makes Rare games so great. Viva Pinata was packed with innudeno and satire.

I don't see why you guys have such a problem with the art style though, I think his new look is off the hizzle.

MCD

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WTF are you saying? The old design (this one) is infinitely better then the new, pathetic, squared, anticreative art of Banjo and Kazooie that we saw with the teaser.

nah, the new design is better and "funnier" imo.

Alex

he old design (this one) is infinitely better then the new, pathetic, squared, anticreative art of Banjo and Kazooie that we saw with the teaser.

It's a fucking cartoon bear that looks 99% the same.

neight

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Depends on how Microsoft advertises it and more importantly, their expectations for it. Will it be a slow burner like Viva Pinata? I've said this plenty of times before, but I fully expect this to be the best looking game to be released this year. That is a big plus if it comes to pass. It isn't going to sell like Mario Galaxy did, as that is unrealistic. I think anything north of 300K first month in NPD will be great.
I'd love to see a Banjo animated series. Let's hope Microsoft's marketing involves that like it did with Viva Pinata.

I don't think the new Banjo design is horrible, it's just a little too stylized. I'll admit old Banjo does reek a bit of "Early CG", but so does Donkey Kong, and he still looks fine. If anything, DK reeks more of early CG than Banjo.

But the new style just makes the characters ugly. They aren't visually pleasing anymore. They have weird proportions in all the wrong places.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Looking back, the old designs look way more dated than the new ones. I really like them personally. The only way I can see someone preferring the old ones is if they have some twisted nostalgic connection to them.

new > old by a landslide

Gigglepoo

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Urg! I can't install Silverlight in the library and won't be home until 5 or 6 hours from now. Summary please!!

It's a picture of the Ice Key rotating around a green pasture littered with six eggs with question marks on them.

Two Sites! Arg!

watkinzez said:

Great news. Too bad that nothing can be exchanged between Three and Tooie or Banjo-Kazooie 1.

APZonerunner said:
You know what would be awesome?

If Stop & Swop was involved, and was done via owning both Banjo 3 and Banjo 1 on XBLA

:eek:

Impossible. Banjo 1 and Tooie will NEVER be on XBLA. Iwata to blame. You saw what he did with Goldeneye 007.

Raide

Maybe have Banjo 1 and 2 on XBLA while we wait for 3 :)

That means we can unlock some stuff ready for Stop 'N' Swop!

Top Bottom