• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BIOSHOCK 2 Teaser Site Launches

pringles

Never during my several playthroughs of Bioshock did the thought "co-op" ever enter into my mind. If they include it simply as an option, I won't have a problem with it.
However, if they start messing with the formula of Bioshock to make it more co-op friendly and, worst case scenario, have an A.I. companion when you're playing alone, I will be disappointed beyond belief.
The mere fact that they are including it makes me think that they aren't exactly going to add more RPG-elements, more detective work/puzzles or make it more scary. I hope I'm wrong though.

Two of my favorite games ever are RE4 and Bioshock. The sequel to one of them has already been ruined by co-op, don't let it happen to the other one as well..

About the other info, it doesn't sound too bad.
I personally think 2k are borderline insane if they completely remove the
Big Daddies
They are pretty much the symbol of Bioshock and can't be replaced by
spliced rhinos and squids
I'm willing to bet they'll be in there, maybe not at first but expect some twist half-way through that brings them back. However, thinking about it a bit more, if the Big Sister works sort of like a
Big Daddy
only you can't kill it, only scare it off, it could work. Actually that might be the case, remember it carries a Little Sister on it's back.. scare it off, harvest/save the LS, and next time it comes back with a new LS.
Soviets
? It could turn out really cool. Remember a lot of the splicers have probably died off during the 7 year span, so new ones has to come from somewhere.

Nizz

pringles said:
Never during my several playthroughs of Bioshock did the thought "co-op" ever enter into my mind. If they include it simply as an option, I won't have a problem with it.
However, if they start messing with the formula of Bioshock to make it more co-op friendly and, worst case scenario, have an A.I. companion when you're playing alone, I will be disappointed beyond belief.
The mere fact that they are including it makes me think that they aren't exactly going to add more RPG-elements, more detective work/puzzles or make it more scary. I hope I'm wrong though.

Two of my favorite games ever are RE4 and Bioshock. The sequel to one of them has already been ruined by co-op, don't let it happen to the other one as well..
I agree with you. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I've never really been grabbed by the whole co-op thing. I like playing online against other players, but I've never played co-op. I like playing through the campaign of games on my own. Granted, I've never tried co-op with anyone, it could be a fun experience I guess. But if co-op was left out it'd be no big deal to me. Plus a game with the atmosphere like Bioshock imo lends itself better as a single player experience. Some of the worst parts of RE4 was when I had to "babysit" Ashley. And that was a pain in the ass.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
By telling you there's no big daddies they're just setting you up for one to swoop in near the end. Think T-rex in Jurassic Park.

StuBurns

Banned
fps fanatic said:
I agree with you. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I've never really been grabbed by the whole co-op thing. I like playing online against other players, but I've never played co-op. I like playing through the campaign of games on my own. Granted, I've never tried co-op with anyone, it could be a fun experience I guess. But if co-op was left out it'd be no big deal to me. Plus a game with the atmosphere like Bioshock imo lends itself better as a single player experience. Some of the worst parts of RE4 was when I had to "babysit" Ashley. And that was a pain in the ass.
I do love co-op play, but I also love single player gaming. And I agree with the co-op complaints if it's going to be something like RE5 where you have an AI partner when you're not playing co-op, but I think there'll be very little chance of that happening. It'd be stupid.

More likely the second player isn't regarded in the game, or there is an alternative scenario for co-op.

goMaki

Hyped as hell for this game, but I had to post to ask: has anyone confirmed the GI article as truth yet? I don't find GameFAQs posts are incredibly reliable ( and the thread about it on the 2k Bioshock 2 forums is finally being locked ). Maybe I am missing something? I haven't seen any scans or any proof that this info is real. Just wondered.

I know I can't wait for this game. This viral marketing has me going crazy for it. Time to finally replay BIOSHOCK. :D

Dyno

The Big Sister is
Tenenbaum.
I'm calling it right now.

What sticks with me from Bioshock is the rich environments with the ocean always in sight. The tinkling bells of the cash register, the clinks and clunks of the vending machines. The host of hefty feeling, jury-rigged weaponry to say nothing of the meaty twack of a wrench.

So long as those elements are in I have no problem in the developers mixing things up. Bioshock was a damn fine game but its potential far outreaches the first attempt.

EDIT: And of course Big Daddies are going to be in there! It's Bioshock!!! Who do you think is going to ride the giant squid?

I actually doubt it is Tenenbaum. I bet it is that girl holding the Big Daddy doll from the trailer. It could be "Masha", the only Little Sister actually named in the first game.

Dyno

monkspider said:
I actually doubt it is Tenenbaum. I bet it is that girl holding the Big Daddy doll from the trailer. It could be "Masha", the only Little Sister actually named in the first game.

I would think she'd be too young.

2K Elizabeth

Neo Member
To reiterate what that Game Informer update says, I'd like to advise you not to believe everything you read on the internet, but instead what you read in the Game Informer article.

The magazine has shipped out, and is en route to subscribers and should be in mailboxes and on store shelves soon.

2K Elizabeth said:
To reiterate what that Game Informer update says, I'd like to advise you not to believe everything you read on the internet, but instead what you read in the Game Informer article.

The magazine has shipped out, and is en route to subscribers and should be in mailboxes and on store shelves soon.

*high five* I await the mailman.

bottles

monkspider said:

Nah, I think Masha was simply a device for emotionally involving the player.

2K Elizabeth said:

Thanks, Elizabeth. And monkspider.

Alex P, don't leave us hanging! Can't wait to get my hands on this article.

Azzwanker

Banned
The Bioshock 2 news that is running around the web is quite...interesting.
While we can¹t confirm or deny anything that is being said, let us give you a quick piece of advice: don't believe everything you read from some dude on the Internet.

If people had actually read the Bioshock 2 cover story from this month's issue...well, you will see how it matches up with the real deal when it arrives this weekend, as the rumors floating around are so amazingly wrong on a very "big" point. Watch for the magazine in stores and in mailboxes this weekend, so you will have your information soon enough.

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/733D5FF5-DED2-49D8-A4F2-87932F123CF6.htm

fps fanatic said:

A Game like BioShock with COOP is a recipe for disaster.

Alex P

So there's a phone number written on one of the documents that got posted in today's Something in the Sea update.

I couldn't quite make it out, so I called four different numbers.

609-394-5438: Rang for two minutes, no machine
609-394-0543: Gave me a message that said "all circuits are busy" and an error code
609-394-5436: "Number you dialed has been disconnected"
609-394-5430: A man answered and said "hello?" but I hung up without saying anything

Alex P said:
So there's a phone number written on one of the documents that got posted in today's Something in the Sea update.

609-394-0543: Gave me a message that said "all circuits are busy" and an error code
609-394-5430: A man answered and said "hello?" but I hung up without saying anything
Last one's correct. You were supossed to give the detective information about the kidnappings.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
was pissed about mandatory co op but now i'm moving in with my boy alex in may... bring on the (local) co op!! :lol

Archer

Alex P said:

Bertha Robinson (609) 394-5430 854 Beatty St,Trenton, NJ 08611

:lol

Bertha's gonna get spammed.

Nizz

AlStrong said:
There's a location for the last number if you put it in google.

854 Beatty St,Trenton, NJ 08611
Didn't the plane in the first game crash in the Atlantic? Coincidence? Hmmm....

Instead of having independently reoccuring instances of the Soviet/Squid/Rhino rumor, it seems like everything may have been based on this original post. It is the earliest and has several things that are clearly bogus, like about being co-published by Microsoft.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=945380&topic=48554653

It looks like people around the internet embellished and played purple monkey dishwasher with it on different forums instead of being true independent sources.

So along with 2k Elizaabth on the official forums saying it is a "rumor, not the real plot". We can definitively put the era of Soviets and Giant Squids to bed.

monkspider said:
Instead of having independently reoccuring instances of the Soviet/Squid/Rhino rumor, it seems like everything may have been based on this original post. It is the earliest and has several things that are clearly bogus, like about being co-published by Microsoft.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=945380&topic=48554653

It looks like people around the internet embellished and played purple monkey dishwasher with it on different forums instead of being true independent sources.

So along with 2k Elizaabth on the official forums saying it is a "rumor, not the real plot". We can definitively put the era of Soviets and Giant Squids to bed.
Thank you.

So I looked at the website, and the latest update gave a clue as to what the gameplay will be like when encountering the Big Sister (if we do encounter her, that is). The guy who wrote the letter to Meltzer said the Big Sister moved "like a ballet dancer almost."

goMaki

When I first saw the number, I asked my boyfriend to try calling it. He said a lady picked up ( sounded old, but formal ) and said hello twice. He hung up without saying anything, thinking he was bothering some old lady. Probably was. :lol

MAJOR SPOILERS (the guy has a screenshot of the mag)

copy/pasted from the tip I sent to *******. Summary: You're a Big Daddy, and you get to use the drill and rivet gun. And you can use plasmids too. You can take little sisters from other Big Daddies and take them around Rapture to collect ADAM like you see happening in BioShock 1.

It's 10 years since the first game. The Big Sister returns to rapture, bringing back the Little Sisters with her. You play as the original Big Daddy. You can use the drill, the rivet gun, and you can still use plasmids.

Little Sisters have been given a new look to be less creepy, as you're seeing them from the eyes of their protectors. You don't get your own Little Sister from the start, as you're a renegade Big Daddy. So you fight other Big Daddies to get your own sister. You can still harvest them, but the other option has been changed to "adopt" instead of rescue. If you adopt the sister, she'll ride on your shoulders, and you can go around Rapture looking for corpses for her to collect ADAM from. When your sister goes to harvest ADAM, a wave of Splicers will come and start attacking to try and harvest her. You have to hold them off until she finishes harvesting. You gain some ADAM from this, but not enough to tide you through the game. You can permanently rescue them, but the article doesn't say how.

The Big Sister is one of the surviving little sisters from the last game. She's the new ruler of Rapture, and is the main antagonist of the game. With each Big Daddy you kill, the game lets you know how close you are to incurring the wrath of the Big Sister. When you do, the little sister you're with will sing a song about how the Big Sister doesn't want you playing with her, then you get jumped.

Other info: Vita Chambers return, there is confirmed multiplayer(no details), audio logs are back, and Fontaine Futuristics is a level in the game.

Top Bottom