• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BIOSHOCK 2 Teaser Site Launches

Multiplayer revealed! Done by Digital Extremes:

2K Games Reveals First Details Of The BioShock® 2 Multiplayer Experience

Digital Extremes tapped to create extensive and exciting multiplayer element for 2K Games’ highly anticipated shooter

Windsor, UK, May 8, 2009/... 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that it has signed a partnership with Digital Extremes to develop the multiplayer experience for BioShock® 2. Under this partnership, Digital Extremes is working closely with the creative team at 2K Marin to develop a new and substantial element that enhances the lore and fiction of the BioShock universe.

“The fans asked for a multiplayer experience and we answered,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “With Digital Extremes delivering a multiplayer experience for BioShock 2 that features all of the things that make BioShock unique, we’re holding ourselves to a high standard so that we can deliver the depth and variety that fans of the BioShock universe demand.”

Multiplayer in BioShock 2 provides a rich prequel experience that expands the origins of the BioShock fiction. Set during the fall of Rapture, players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a premier provider of Plasmids and Tonics in the underwater city of Rapture that was first explored in the original BioShock. Players will need to use all the elements of the BioShock toolset to survive as the full depth of the BioShock experience is refined and transformed into a unique multiplayer experience that can only be found in Rapture.

Key features:

• Evolution of the genetically enhanced shooter – Earn experience points during gameplay to earn access to new Weapons, Plasmids and Tonics that can be used to create hundreds of different combinations, allowing players to develop a unique character that caters to their playing style.

• Extend the Rapture fiction – Players will step into the shoes of Rapture citizens and learn more about the fall of Rapture as they progress through the experience.

• See Rapture before the fall – Experience Rapture before it was reclaimed by the ocean and engage in combat over iconic environments in locations such as Kashmir Restaurant and Mercury Suites, all of which have been reworked from the ground up to deliver a fast-paced multiplayer experience.

• FPS veterans add their touch to the multiplayer experience – Digital Extremes brings more than 10 years of first person shooter experience including development of award-winning entries in the Unreal® and Unreal Tournament® franchise.

BioShock 2 is currently in development at 2K Marin, 2K Australia and Digital Extremes for PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows-based PCs. This title is not yet rated by the ESRB.

Sai-kun

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Yeah, same here. I don't know how was Dark Sector multiplayer, but other than that what did they do? Warpath, Pariah and Unreal Championship... Definitely mehware.

Dark Sector multiplayer was fucking rad.

....if you weren't lagging all the time [which was impossible]

Well, at least they're making the multiplayer aspect of the game make sense within the context of the game.

Good call to whoever made this decision.

Mau ®

Set during the fall of rapture? Awesome!

And I like the fact that its a separate developer working on the multiplayer, that means the SP will not suffer. BTW Digital Extremes made the PS3 port (and I guess the DLC, which was quite good).

SlayrUK

Not quite sure what to determine from the new stuff in here now..

... any one get any thoughts? He has a broken leg and seems to be AWOL..... ?

SlayrUK said:
Not quite sure what to determine from the new stuff in here now..

... any one get any thoughts? He has a broken leg and seems to be AWOL..... ?
Apparently, yes, he's gone missing or has been away from his apartment for quite a long time. His daughter is also missing as well.

DuckRacer

According to Geoff Keighley, Take Two in their conference call said BioShock 2 is coming November 3rd in North America. I'm kinda surprised they're sticking it in November (especially after BioShock 1's success in August), but that's just me.

DuckRacer said:
According to Geoff Keighley, Take Two in their conference call said BioShock 2 is coming November 3rd in North America. I'm kinda surprised they're sticking it in November (especially after BioShock 1's success in August), but that's just me.

That is a bit surprising but with the big marketing budget take 2 has promised I bet they can pull it off.

JCtheMC

I just watched the "Hunting The Big Sister" Demo and i think i shortly fainted... Bioshock 2 with multiplayer, an interesting story arch and awesome new gameplay features?

DUDE WAT

So, uh....http://somethinginthesea.com/ updated.

Page now loads to what looks like an office with the map/old landing page of the site hanging above a desk.

I'm seeing what's clickable and what's not now. Click the box on the floor in the middle of the screen. Brings up what looks like a combination lock with alot of strange symbols. Have at it, GAF!

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
So, uh....http://somethinginthesea.com/ updated.

Page now loads to what looks like an office with the map/old landing page of the site hanging above a desk.

I'm seeing what's clickable and what's not now. Click the box on the floor in the middle of the screen. Brings up what looks like a combination lock with alot of strange symbols. Have at it, GAF!
It's been that way for some time now; since before E3.

Look here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Visualante said:
Game could end up a complete mess. Why the fuck does so much stuff need to be outsourced?
2K Marin is a small-ish studio?

Visualante said:
Game could end up a complete mess. Why the fuck does so much stuff need to be outsourced?

I read a write up on the multiplayer (from a hands on at E3) that didn't beat around the bush with saying how average and unnecessary it is....

As long as the story and singleplayer is good though, it's all gravy.

Poimandres said:
I read a write up on the multiplayer (from a hands on at E3) that didn't beat around the bush with saying how average and unnecessary it is....

As long as the story and singleplayer is good though, it's all gravy.
How is it average?

Hopefully the Trophies don't require grinding in the multiplayer because I ain't playin' it, though I would like to Platinum it.

If a Trophy requires 1,000 kills or something ridiculous like that, fuhgeddaboudit!

Dax01 said:
How is it average?

Well, the small preview in HYPER magazine (Australian mag... pretty respectable) calls it "one of the limpest multiplayer experiences of E3" which is pretty damning. This same magazine gave the original Bioshock 97%, so they are convinced of the games merits.

It's a problem with a lot of previews- even if they aren't convinced its shaping up well concerns often go unexpressed in favour of optimism. I prefer an honest outlook.

DMeisterJ

Banned
azentium said:
So at the earliest it will be released in April 2010, correct?

Not sure when Take 2's Fiscal year ends and begins...

Will check

Edit: Nov 1, 2009 is Q1 2010 fiscal year, so it releases sometime after November 1, 2009.

Parham

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Edit: Nov 1, 2009 is Q1 2010 fiscal year, so it releases sometime after November 1, 2009.

Most retailers were already listing the game for a November launch. But given that they've said it has been delayed, I guess they might push it to a December / Early 2010 release date.

Otheradam

I thought it was always dated for November. After the non-news about this game during E3 and then the announcement of a third studio, it became a "wait and see reviews" title for me. I was going to buy it day 1 but not now, and I LOVED Bioshock. I really hope this game turns out ok.

Good news! Holiday 2009 never felt right, it will have early 2010 nearly to itself. It will suck to have to wait 2-3 more months to play it, but it should result in a better game and is great move for the franchise.

There's already a ton to look forward to for 2009 so I'm happy to see that so much awesomeness is also coming in the first half of 2010.

Rayne.S said:
You've just got your wish. Bioshock 2 has been delayed.

I wouldn't call it my wish, but it's definitely a smart business move. It just didn't seem like a title that could survive the November frenzy of games.

First Red Dead Redemption, then Mafia II, and now this. Not good for T2.

In Q1 2010 with ME 2, Alan Wake, God of War III.

Officially, Take-Two blames the delay on the need to "provide additional development time for the title."

Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two called the delay "the right decision for the product," but calls the impact on its revised financial outlook a "disappointment."

"The decision to shift a release date is never an easy one, especially with a product as highly anticipated as BioShock 2," Take-Two CEO Ben Feder said in a financial release. "We felt that it was essential to invest the additional time to ensure that this title will deliver what its fans expect and deserve."

Top Bottom