• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BIOSHOCK 2 Teaser Site Launches

this guy

I'm not liking the helmet on the Big Sister. The rest of the design looks cool, but the helmet looks like an eyeball. I'm still optimistic though. I'd be silly to get caught up about this until we can read the issue anyway.

Kinda dissapointed we're going back to Rapture. The kidnapping teasers had me all excited for maybe some outdoor stuff but that cover is just, "yep, it's just like the first Bioshock...but skinny". Can't wait for the info to leak from the GI issue.

Bernbaum

The game will be awesome, I have no doubt about that.

I was never hyped for the first Bioshock and only picked it up because I had nothing else to play. Ended up being my GOTY for 2007. I have complete trust in the new director helming the sequel. Given the depth and complexity of the original, you can all rest assured that no matter what 2K choose to reveal now, the actual story in the game will transcend any viral campaign-related plot points revealed prior to the games release. Expect massive twists.

Spoo

Bernbaum said:

... I have complete trust in the new director helming the sequel. Given the depth and complexity of the original, you can all rest assured that no matter what 2K choose to reveal now, the actual story in the game will transcend any viral campaign-related plot points revealed prior to the games release. Expect massive twists.

omg you said whut was in my <3 :O BFF

Bernbaum said:

I was never hyped for the first Bioshock and only picked it up because I had nothing else to play. Ended up being my GOTY for 2007. I have complete trust in the new director helming the sequel. Given the depth and complexity of the original, you can all rest assured that no matter what 2K choose to reveal now, the actual story in the game will transcend any viral campaign-related plot points revealed prior to the games release. Expect massive twists.

Plant.

:D

Scarecrow

Well, I was always dissapointed they weren't called "Big Brothers" in the first Bioshock. That would make a little more sense to me.

They've got a lot of ground to cover to explain these new heavies. I mean, they would have to have been thought up after the whole BS1 events, right? They make no mention of these big gals. Perhaps some of the splicers got all industrial and Superman 3'd a bunch of women.

Spoo

Bernbaum said:
More like gushing fanboy. If Rapture were real, and I could go there, even with all the splicers and civil anarchy, I would so totally still do it.

Hell yeah, man, I'd totally splice it up with you. One currrazyy night.

That is, if we make it out.

Bernbaum said:
More like gushing fanboy. If Rapture were real, and I could go there, even with all the splicers and civil anarchy, I would so totally still do it.
You do that, and I will gladly attend your funeral.

Batongen

Banned
A great, narrative story like the first one and I'm there. Although, I would rather have seen a "prequel" than this :/.

wRATH2x

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:
gi_bioshock2.jpg

Hmmm!

Very interesting!

A Big Sister = Little Sister attached to something?

Oh hells yeah!!!!!!

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm glad we're going back to Rapture, be interesting to see what they provide us this time round. Fort Frolic is one of my favourite levels in a game, ever. The first game is immense.

I loved BioShock. I beat it once and immediately began a second game to get the second ending. I always want sequels to games that I love. I want Shenmue 3, Mirror's Edge 2, and Metal Gear 5 but...I can't say the same for BioShock. It just doesn't seem like the sequel-type. I'm talking out of my ass, I know....but I'm not ready to get behind this one 100%. I will definitely get it but it will be under a thick cloud of apprehension.

sky

Undeux said:
I hate that the industry is so obsessed with making sequels. Why not take the same creativity that went into the first one and make a new IP with a new twist on the mechanics and ideas? Isn't that more or less what Bioshock was?

I'm going to buy it and probably love it, and I'm excited to play it, but I would've been much more excited if the original team decided to work on a completely new idea.
The industry saw what you did there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hmm. I'm not really feeling this Big Sister design but I'll wait to see how it ties in.

Which is where I'm starting to get worried. Rapture as a whole was such a meticulously well crafted world, and there were no references (from what we know) to anything remotely like this Big Sister. How will they tie it in without it seeming like Big Daddy 2.0? Rapture is dead. It needs to be plausible.

We'll see.

mandiller

I'm worried Bioshock 2 will have a big sense of 'been there done that' that it won't be able to escape.

What was the most awesome thing about Bioshock? The unique art style and awesome dive down to this leaky city under the sea. We've already seen the art style and we've already explored Rapture and gotten a feel for what it's like down there. Bioshock 2 will lack the impact the first did.

Amir0x said:
Oh god those things are gonna be all speedy and terrifying.

SPEEDY horrors are so much scarier >_<

x100

Nothing scares me more than something I don't have time to deal with properly.

When something gets a good jump on me, I end up madly spinning the character in all directions and wasting most of my ammo reserves. :lol3

mandiller said:
I'm worried Bioshock 2 will have a big sense of 'been there done that' that it won't be able to escape.

What was the most awesome thing about Bioshock? The unique art style and awesome dive down to this leaky city under the sea. We've already seen the art style and we've already explored Rapture and gotten a feel for what it's like down there. Bioshock 2 will lack the impact the first did.

Kind of agree. The demo section is perhaps my favorite part of Bioshock, but if they can deliver Ft. Frolic quality levels I won't have any complaints at all.

Kimi

If these Big Sisters are
the little sisters from BioShock 1, then would that make them 14 years old?

Slathe

I've seen a lot of references to the good ending, has there ever been an official "this was the ending" statement?

If not, perhaps, going off the bad ending,
Jack takes the key to the city and, as the little sisters age (I forget if there was a reference to them not aging), he realizes he needs to collect new little girls to keep the city working. So, he takes the now older little sisters and converts them into Big Sisters.

Of course, that would assume that one of the endings is canon at all, which may not be the case.

bottles

As a huge BioShock fan, I want to love the design of this character, but I’m not feeling it at all. The Big Daddies were huge, slow and incredibly powerful. They sounded like whales and their boots made loud clanking noises. That’s what made them terrifying. This character is skinny. Is she going to shriek and run around? What’s with the red light (ooh, red, scary...) and the contrived helmet and boot design?

But I’m going to reserve judgement. I want to love BioShock 2 so bad. Please be good!

I don't know.

I think based on this design, the teaser approach, and extrapolating Jordan Thomas's work on Shalebridge Cradle in Thief3 and Fort Frolic, that Bioshock 2 may well be going down a more 'horror' route, and that would suit me just fine and dandy.

Whilst Bioshock had *some* horror elements as the spiritual successor to SS2, it really didn't deliver in that area for me. Dead Space was much better in that respect IMO.

The Big Sister looks more 'ninja' to me, and that could be very interesting (remembers the ninja cyborgs in SS2 and shudders)

this guy said:
I'm not liking the helmet on the Big Sister. The rest of the design looks cool, but the helmet looks like an eyeball. I'm still optimistic though. I'd be silly to get caught up about this until we can read the issue anyway.

hopefully it's like Bioshock 1 and there are multiple Big Sisters, thus different designs for each?

I love the idea from Zen- playing as the Big Sister would be very interesting.

John_B

I was expecting something very different, but it seems it litteraly will be Bioshock 2.

I hope they will try to make the game much more scary and less about shooting.

John_B said:
I was expecting something very different, but it seems it litteraly will be Bioshock 2.

I hope they will try to make the game much more scary and less about shooting.

more adventuring/puzzle (not just hacking) elements would be well appreciated by me. :D

Neiteio

Does BioShock 2 still have the "Sea of Dreams" subtitle? It's not on the logo on the magazine cover.

Also, is the Big Sister cocking its head sideways, with its right ear to the ground? It seems like the grill (for lack of a better term) on the one side of the helmet would be the mouth area (they resemble mandibles), in which case it's tilting its head sideways as though bearing the weight of the contraption on its back. Think Quasimodo.

Once you see it, you'll never be able to UNSEE it. You can, uh, thank me later. In the meanwhile, I like the eye; it gives the Big Sister a creepy sense of cunning...

Spoo

I think the Big Sister idea is very good, but that, so far, is just because I like the design. If the thing act's like a 2 meter tall fucked-up-on-drugs-or-some-shit defensive mother-type with eerie sounds and hides mostly in the dark when she sneaks up on you... well, it could be plenty scary :D

With their agility, I can see situations where you turn around only to see one right in y0 face :O

Again, so much depends on Jordan to nail the horror as well as the suspense. And that has a lot to do with getting the Big Sisters right.

Also, does the inclusion of a Big Sister negate the inclusion of a Big Daddy?

Spoo said:
I think the Big Sister idea is very good, but that, so far, is just because I like the design. If the thing act's like a 2 meter tall fucked-up-on-drugs-or-some-shit defensive mother-type with eerie sounds and hides mostly in the dark when she sneaks up on you... well, it could be plenty scary :D

With their agility, I can see situations where you turn around only to see one right in y0 face :O

Again, so much depends on Jordan to nail the horror as well as the suspense. And that has a lot to do with getting the Big Sisters right.

Also, does the inclusion of a Big Sister negate the inclusion of a Big Daddy?
I think two types of mini bosses are better than one.

Top Bottom