• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Blink 182 songs

Dipper145

Since I cant play these in Canada, I went to Blink-182s youtube channel and saw they have a lot of lyric music videos for these already.

I'm not going to comment much on the songs themselves, I think they're actually suprisingly good, but can someone else check out the lyric videos and tell me if I'm crazy or not? They all seem very mistimed and off to me...

(their channel is here/this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeKpZI54gF0s6h74_S9vC02XmFLn0G5vv )

Kibbles

Can we not have another blink thread with people wishing Tom was back? He's gone. And his voice is long gone. Let him chase his aliens it's time to move on.

Anyways while technically not new Hey, I'm Sorry is probably my favorite of the bunch. Glad they decided to release all of these.

In the title track Dogs Eating Dogs Tom sounded the most blink he has since the first split. But then again he also sounds awful in Boxing Day. :X

Should've just been +44, but I guess there's more $$$ in it for them to just continue under the Blink name.

Kibbles

Blows my mind Even if She Falls wasn't a single or even on the standard version of the album, sounds a lot like an evolution of Blink from the Untitled era.

People try to say it's too much AvA but Neighborhoods still is distinctly Blink to me, just them trying to evolve instead of staying the course. Some songs maybe do creep too far into AvA style, but man it's not as bad as its rep. Even if She Falls, After Midnight, Natives, Heart's all Gone, Snake Charmer, Ghost on the Dancefloor, hmmmm.

sbarbati

Goddamn Last Train Home is good. This is what I was hoping for when I heard Matt was stepping in. When Matt and Mark get the harmonies going right it works really well.

I skipped most of the original release of California, due to.. I dunno, whatever.

Listening to the Deluxe is great.. I actually like a number of songs off the original release, and the 2nd disk is borderline great.

Kinda surprised actually.

I thought the original California had some good songs (Bored to Death, Los Angeles, Sober, Only Thing that Matters) but ultimately wasn't overly memorable. Kind of leaned too much to 40 something guys singing about teenage motifs. Still liked it better than Neighborhoods.

The Deluxe edition I feel falls into a similar mix of gems and forgettable stuff. Really like 6/8, Last Train Home, Parking Lot, and Bottom of the Ocean.

Does anyone else feel though the Deluxe tracks are all so somber? Not a lot of fun, poppy, or energetic songs as some of the original California stuff. I miss goofy Blink.

I'm also OK with Matt now. It's different from what Blink was with Tom, but that's completely okay. They just need to get more creative and not play it as safe.

gimmmick

I thought the original California had some good songs (Bored to Death, Los Angeles, Sober, Only Thing that Matters) but ultimately wasn't overly memorable. Kind of leaned too much to 40 something guys singing about teenage motifs. Still liked it better than Neighborhoods.

The Deluxe edition I feel falls into a similar mix of gems and forgettable stuff. Really like 6/8, Last Train Home, Parking Lot, and Bottom of the Ocean.

Does anyone else feel though the Deluxe tracks are all so somber? Not a lot of fun, poppy, or energetic songs as some of the original California stuff. I miss goofy Blink.

I'm also OK with Matt now. It's different from what Blink was with Tom, but that's completely okay. They just need to get more creative and not play it as safe.

You can't expect Mark (45) and Matt (41) to be writing the same songs that they were doing back in the late 90s and early 00s. I really enjoyed the second part of California, it really feels like a whole new album.

Best stand out tracks are Good Old Days, Last Train Home (my favorite track off the deluxe part of California), Long Lost Feeling (Travis's drumming is the best part of the track, though can't wait to hear the acoustic version of this) and Bottom Of The Ocean.

Solid album. I have a feeling this is going to be in rotation just as much as California was back in 2016.

scoobs

Mate; it's not about Tom's voice. It's about his energy. Have you watched the Ernie Ball documentary they did on him? He's infectious and he's a big reason I gave a shit about Blink.
So you'll take Tom's "energy" and never releasing new music, over Skiba's "talent" and actual consistent new music and world tours. I'll never understand you people. Tom has literally zero interest in the band, he's said he could come back if he wants to, but he doesn't. He also can't sing at all, nor play the guitar parts correctly in his own songs anymore.

It's time to face it, Tom is never coming back and Blink is a million times better off for it.

If Tom means that much to you, you'll always have the rest of their discography to go back to, and whatever music he's still putting out with AVA if that is even still a thing. I actually was really sceptical of Skiba joining, but after having met him and the band and seeing them live, I couldn't be more stoked. He plays the guitar parts (mostly) correctly and actually sings and pronounces words. It's wonderful. The crowd at the Springfield, MO show had a great fucking time. Was raucous. Bored To Death was the loudest sing along shockingly.

I understand the sentiment that Blink will never be Blink without Tom, but Tom hasn't been Tom since the Untitled album. This is just a new chapter, and the only way the band could move forward. The new music isn't perfect, but I really like a lot of it and am just glad I get to be excited about new Blink music again.

Fav songs off California: San Diego, Cynical, Sober, Teenage Satellites, No Future

Deluxe: Misery, Wildfire, 6/8, Don't Mean Anything, Last Train Home, Bottom of the Ocean

Jesus.

This has been on repeat for the last couple of days. I can't get enough. As a late 30-something who grew up in So Cal and followed Blink from high school on.. This album just speaks to me.

And since I never listened to California last year, it's like a 28 track new album for me. This is fantastic.

When I saw them live last year, it was either before the album dropped or soon thereafter so I didn't know any of the new songs they played. I almost hope they pair down the older songs live, since some really just don't sound the same without Tom. Hopefully with California and Deluxe, the crowds will be happy hearing the newer stuff.

Was always a big Alkaline Trio fan too.. Can hear some of that in the newer songs.

Stoked to finally be listening to this.

Havoc2049

Mate; it's not about Tom's voice. It's about his energy. Have you watched the Ernie Ball documentary they did on him? He's infectious and he's a big reason I gave a shit about Blink.

I agree. Tom sings like shyt, but he sounds great.

scoobs

I agree. Tom sings like shyt, but he sounds great.

Wat8.jpg

lawnchair

Banned
as one of the biggest blink 182 fans on the planet, i'm holding off on listening to these songs.

i'm still getting over the fact that their last album sounds like taylor swift or some shit.

I'm not a huge fan of California or any of these new songs. Songs/production are as bland as it gets. I am glad Matt Skiba is cashing in though.

Was always more of a Tom guy at heart and I'm glad he's happy doing whatever he's doing.

Top Bottom