• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Faiz

Stonemaier announced a new edition of Viticulture, the Essential Edition.

http://stonemaier-games.myshopify.com/pages/viticulture-essential-campaign

It's basically second edition with some of the better parts of Tuscany included in the base box. Four of the expansions from Tuscany have been designated unlikely to ever be printed again, and the intention is to later reprint the remaining partis of Tuscany (extended board, special worker meeples, and structures) in a lighter expansion box.

mercviper

The dragon was in such a spot that assaulting the city meant provoking the dragon. So I just went balls wild with it.

Oh yeah, when I said ignore I just meant to provoke it and then eat the 3 wounds it gives you. Blocking the cold fire poison brutal dude instead saves you two net wounds. (draconum is 6 x 2 / 4 = 3, upper left dude is 5 x 2 x 2 / 4 = 5).

I was bored and tried another conquest last night as Tovek and came close but did not end up finishing the scenario. I couldn't draw my move cards to get to the last city (it was the green one surrounded by swamps) so I had to ditch a lot of them to position myself for an assault. I was also against the timer so I couldn't sit and wait for a perfect hand (dummy had called last turn by the time I got there). I ended up 16 damage short of killing everything in the city because of all the cards I ditched.

zulux21

A question for the experts in here:

Can anyone recommend games that work for 6-10 year old kids while not being offensively dull for adults as well? I'm thinking there's a bit too much reading for Family Fluxx to work, but I'm currently toying with Dobble, Dixit and maybe No Thanks!

And I might throw in Uno. Because it's Uno.

Anything else I might have overlooked that'd fit the bill?

hanabi has very little reading at all and is fun for all ages.

dungeon roll might be an alright choice, quick and easy to pick up.

Stonemaier announced a new edition of Viticulture, the Essential Edition.

Ah cool, I was thinking about picking this up but kinda glad I waited. And considering how often it'd be played, well, don't mind just getting an "essential" version.

Copy of Galaxy of Trian arrived. Probably the last kickstarter I'll do for quite a long time. It was a fun thing to try, but kickstarter game after game felt undercooked and the rulebooks always felt lacking, and there always seemed to be a game published game beforehand that did it better (just maybe not with the same theme).

Of for Trian? It's basically Carcassonne in Space, but if you could send ships out to steal resources from other players, and if you scored like a bajillion more points by the end.
I quite like it as someone who mostly plays Carcassonne 2 player.

GiJoccin

Played cosmic encounter tonite for the first time... So awesome! Ordered a few of the expansions that add players. Are the variants fun? What about tech, hazards?

EYEL1NER

I love that there is a teaser trailer for Pandemic Legacy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCN-cgMu9k
I keep forgetting this is going to be a thing. I'm not sure how interested I am in it yet. I love Pandemic and the Legacy mechanics definitely sound cool. I have yet to play Risk Legacy (or even vanilla Risk for that matter) and am unsure how much I could stomach ripping up components and drawing on the board and stuff. I'll continue keeping an eye out and ear open for more info though.

All of my BattleCON stuff came in from the War:Revised Kickstarter. I can't wait to get back to the States for good in a month and start inventorying and sleeving it. And then hopefully play it at some point. I've still only gotten like two physical games of regular War in ever, and then played a bunch of games against the AI in the iOS version when it decides it doesn't want to crash. BattleCON Online seems like exactly the thing for me and I was fully ready to pledge money towards the Kickstarter for it until I saw the pricing. $120 for all characters and costumes? Way too much money for me to ever spend on a game for my iPad (I don't have a PC so the fact that it is a unified account means nothing to me since I won't be playing any other version). Hell, that is probably triple the amount I have spent on all apps I have ever bought combined. I watch AppShopper like a hawk and get games on the cheap. There is a $40 option for just all characters I think and maybe $80 is all characters forever but I would want the full complete package. And I have no interest in paying for anything less that the full package anyway because I don't want to be part of the 'F2P rotating weekly character with others released piecemeal throughout the season' business plan. So that was a bit of a bummer....
I'm hoping I can talk my wife into trying it but luckily the game is super-simple to teach so I feel like I could easily go into a FLGS and sit some people down and have some matches going quickly.

JSR_Cube

I am glad I waited for Viticulture too. I will check that out.

Anyone else try Armello yet? I know this is the physical board game topic but I like what I have played so far for it.

Mr E.

Rahdo just praised Gloomhaven on KS calling it top 10 of 2016. Anyone backing or planning to?
To be fair I've grabbed some great games because of Rahdo. Nauticus and Palaces of Carrera to name some.
He does however seem to praise everything lol.

Edit to add he's got me gong on the 7th continent lol.

almost 2 years later, finally got my Incursion stuff. Great looking minis and components, good Space Hulk like clone... but damn sick of kickstarter bs

NEO0MJ

For those with experience mixing paints can you give me any info on what went wrong here? I used a Marabbu universal primer (I didn't want to use the bottled tamiya primer I have), and after leaving it for a day put tamiya acrylic gold leaf on the spoon followed after two hours with clear red. I used Tamiya acrylic thinner with both.

20468289314_644a18283f_o.jpg

20903019918_3517c4d971_o.jpg
While I like the resulting color (planning on using it as Kemet's Phoenix main color) it seems bubbles have formed and there are some areas with a strange uneven streak.

Edit: Oh, and the paint seems kinda runny, though that might be because of the shape of the spoon and how I just painting it with the rush immediately after dumping it in the paint canister. Maybe I should dry the brush first.

Ecto311

Just got Zombicide and Arcadia quest. Anything I should know before I give up on the books or long winded YouTube videos and just make the figures kill my daughters pony toys?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am glad I waited for Viticulture too. I will check that out.

Anyone else try Armello yet? I know this is the physical board game topic but I like what I have played so far for it.

I'm on the fence. I want to buy it...I'm curious how it plays solo and online.

Palmer_v1

Just got Zombicide and Arcadia quest. Anything I should know before I give up on the books or long winded YouTube videos and just make the figures kill my daughters pony toys?

The zombicide missions are not ordered very well in the book as far as difficulty goes. The actual M1 is one of the tougher ones.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So Gloomhaven...Looks cool, but am I understanding it right that you have to make semi-permanent modifications to things with stickers and shit?

Faiz

Ah cool, I was thinking about picking this up but kinda glad I waited. And considering how often it'd be played, well, don't mind just getting an "essential" version.

Keep in mind the Essential Edition doesn't include the expanded board, which many people actually DO consider essential. But it should be reprinted along with a few other pieces of Tuscany in the future, in a slimmer box.

And to frame it a little, I've gotten Viticulture out three times so far and think I need at least two more playthroughs before I might get into Tier II of the Tuscany expansions. Tuscany has 12 expansions, maybe two of which are terrible (and one is N/A to me because it's the solo variant).

Viticulture/Tuscany is the all-in expansion and the Essential Edition + possible future expansion could end up more expensive with some things removed.

joelseph

Stonemaier Games is based out of St. Louis and is a headline sponsor of Geekway. If you ever dreamed of winning one of those swag limited edition Viticulture's that come in the wine barrel box sign up for Geekway 2016. Stonemaier Games gives out so many door prizes!

Palmer_v1

So Gloomhaven...Looks cool, but am I understanding it right that you have to make semi-permanent modifications to things with stickers and shit?

That's part of what sold me on it. I'm sure there will be ways to adapt it to be less permament, though. Dry Eraseable stickers?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's part of what sold me on it. I'm sure there will be ways to adapt it to be less permament, though. Dry Eraseable stickers?

Eh - that's why I DON'T like the idea of it. Why would I want a game that I can only play once from start to finish? Boo.

Yeah, I mean...I'm still probably going to back at the highest level and get over it. But it's just this weird feeling of "Well, now what?" after playing it a bunch.

I like that, if I ever play a game 20 times and then can call it mine I think it's worth that price. I'd gladly buy another copy after that.

wow I wish I'd seen this thread a long time ago. I've been getting into board games lately. None of my group are "gamers" but we've enjoyed all the games we've tried so far and don't mind complex rules. I generally play with 3 people (very occasionally I might have 4, rarely 5 people). My group are pretty chilled out but enjoy games that promote player interaction and/or screwing others over. At the same time, I want to find games that aren't simply "kill the leader" in 3 player settings.

So far, I've played Settlers, Dead of Winter, Coup, Bang! and Risk which have all been excellent fun - favourite would be Dead of Winter.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

The Amazon Prime app is giving £20 off if I buy Dixit and Ticket to Ride: Europe which is very tempting. However, I also like the look of Carcassonne big box and Ticket to Ride: Nordic...

joelseph

Medieval Academy from iello Games is really fun. If you enjoy drafting and divergent strategies give this colorful monster a look. Easy to teach and plays quick!

Baseball Highlights 2045 continues to be one of my favorite 2 player games. My L.A. lost to my buddies Boston in the first series when I was trying to build a defensive pitching strategy around striking out Cyborgs and robots. Unfortunately my Boston opponent caught on and bought mainly Naturals in the off seasons. Final series 4-2. Wwe flipped sides and I took Boston to an easy 4-0 against L.A. with the help from Ty Terry! Boston is a beast! I like L.A.'s low roster cost and aggressive base running, just couldn't get the flips on the free agent market.

fenners

Medieval Academy from iello Games is really fun. If you enjoy drafting and divergent strategies give this colorful monster a look. Easy to teach and plays quick!

Just picked it up myself in a trade, glad to hear it's good - it sure looks like a great lunchtime game & something my kids might aspire to.

joelseph

Just picked it up myself in a trade, glad to hear it's good - it sure looks like a great lunchtime game & something my kids might aspire to.

It had me doing the "man this game is great" speech to myself between turns. Scooped up my own copy on Amazon this morning!

JSR_Cube

wow I wish I'd seen this thread a long time ago. I've been getting into board games lately. None of my group are "gamers" but we've enjoyed all the games we've tried so far and don't mind complex rules. I generally play with 3 people (very occasionally I might have 4, rarely 5 people). My group are pretty chilled out but enjoy games that promote player interaction and/or screwing others over. At the same time, I want to find games that aren't simply "kill the leader" in 3 player settings.

So far, I've played Settlers, Dead of Winter, Coup, Bang! and Risk which have all been excellent fun - favourite would be Dead of Winter.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

The Amazon Prime app is giving £20 off if I buy Dixit and Ticket to Ride: Europe which is very tempting. However, I also like the look of Carcassonne big box and Ticket to Ride: Nordic...

I would check out Caylus, Keyflower, Le Havre, and Terra Mystica. I think they all have some player interaction (Terra Mystica to a lesser extent). Be ready for some more meat on these games though.

If you want to bridge a jump to these games, you can look at stuff like Lords of Waterdeep which isn't so heavy. Maybe others can give you some suggestions.

Gloomhaven is pulling me in with its promise in the same way that Myth did.

And though I did enjoy Myth at first, that reason is why I don't trust it and am hesitant to back. The more you played Myth, the more it felt broken, a result of no apparent playtesting and unclear rules.

I wonder if Gloomhaven could deliver the promise Myth was meant to, that open world RPG with branching stories and persistent characters, but since it has a beginning and an end, maybe it'll be cool? I hear its combat and enemy AI is much simpler. Question mark?

Karkador

Banned
I would check out Caylus, Keyflower, Le Havre, and Terra Mystica. I think they all have some player interaction (Terra Mystica to a lesser extent). Be ready for some more meat on these games though.

These games are crazy complicated compared to what they've played!

JSR_Cube

These games are crazy complicated compared to what they've played!

Well, that is why I suggested Lords of Waterdeep as well. I guess I am just looking at games that they will enjoy with some more interaction as opposed to the meeple pushing games out there.

Hey all, looking for recommendations again. :) I want a co-operative game to play with my SO. Kind of want something that can be played in more than one sitting, if it's a long game, possibly with a campaign or something. We don't know much about tabletop RPGs, so I've looked into some board games with RPG mechanics that might be more accessible for us like the Dungeons & Dragons series of games.

Some games that I have thrown on my list (some of which don't have RPG mechanics)
- Flash Point Fire Rescue
- Ghost Stories
- Lord of the Rings: The Board Game
- Mage Knight Board Game
- Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
- Dungeons & Drag​ons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
- Rune Age
- Arkham Horror
- Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

My SO is less willing than I to invest into a game, so something shorter and with less of a learning curve is probably best. I watched a video with them on Arkham Horror and they seemed intimidated so probably not a good choice. Also showed them a video of The Legend of Drizzt and they seemed more receptive.

joelseph

List of "Legacy" games is not going to be long.
Risk Legacy is not coop, is not high fantasy.
Shadowrun: Crossfire* and Pathfinder: The Card Game are both coop. One is sci-fi, the other is high fantasy. Both are card driven.
Gloomhaven is currently on kickstarter. It is legacy. It is a board game and it is high fantasy.

Other non Legacy games that are coop include:
Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game*
Legendary: Alien* (I think this has a better coop narrative than Marvel.)
Robinson Crusoe*

*Can be extremely challenging.

Hey all, looking for recommendations again. :) I want a co-operative game to play with my SO. Kind of want something that can be played in more than one sitting, if it's a long game, possibly with a campaign or something. We don't know much about tabletop RPGs, so I've looked into some board games with RPG mechanics that might be more accessible for us like the Dungeons & Dragons series of games.

Some games that I have thrown on my list (some of which don't have RPG mechanics)
- Ghost Stories
- Mage Knight Board Game
- Rune Age
- Arkham Horror

My SO is less willing than I to invest into a game, so something shorter and with less of a learning curve is probably best. I watched a video with them on Arkham Horror and they seemed intimidated so probably not a good choice. Also showed them a video of The Legend of Drizzt and they seemed more receptive.
If you like the theme of arkham, check out elder signs. My wife really likes that one.

Experien

Broken Token has released an Imperial Assault organizer for $42. They said it fits Twin Shadows as well. Even has 2 AT-STs so probably every expansion to date.

I am tempted for that since the Tinker Thinker on Kickstarter is going to reset and take until December.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

- Ghost Stories
- Mage Knight Board Game
- Rune Age
- Arkham Horror

Mage Knight is amazing, but if Arkham Horror looked intimidating, MK is probably not a good idea. It's often considered one of the hardest games to learn. That said, it'd an incredible solo experience if you're into that.

The D&D boardgames are great fun. Simple packages with easy rules. Can be tough, but they offer a really nice RPG in a box.

emag

Legend of Drizzt is a good option and has reasonable campaign rules. Castle Ravenloft has multiple adventures as well, but nothing is maintained between adventures. Flash Point, Ghost Stories, and Arkham Horror don't have any real campaigns and are very dry Pandemic-like co-ops. Rune Age's co-op modes aren't very replayable (the whole game is very shallow, unfortunately).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Disagree that Arkham (!) and Ghost Stories are very dry co-ops. Arkham is oozing with theme (probably considered one of the most thematic games out there) especially if you don't just try to research and min-max the game, and Ghost Stories is more abstract but I feel like it still has great art and a that feeling of impending doom with the ghosts circling the village. Super exciting.

Flash Point I agree with. Too much fiddliness for what the game offers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Legend of Drizzt is a good option and has reasonable campaign rules. Castle Ravenloft has multiple adventures as well, but nothing is maintained between adventures. Flash Point, Ghost Stories, and Arkham Horror don't have any real campaigns and are very dry Pandemic-like co-ops. Rune Age's co-op modes aren't very replayable (the whole game is very shallow, unfortunately).

Is Drizzt the one where you almost have to do PvP?

Draxal

- Ghost Stories
- Mage Knight Board Game
- Rune Age
- Arkham Horror

Mice and Mystics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ytmBjB6bY&list=PLHvfN_pNBj_H_vr4_G1I9i8fu6tkaaklw

Other games are to consider are Zombicide (go for the first season). Legendary encounters: Aliens seems to be more popular here than Legendary: Marvel.

Blizzard

Banned
Disagree that Arkham (!) and Ghost Stories are very dry co-ops. Arkham is oozing with theme (probably considered one of the most thematic games out there) especially if you don't just try to research and min-max the game, and Ghost Stories is more abstract but I feel like it still has great art and a that feeling of impending doom with the ghosts circling the village. Super exciting.

Flash Point I agree with. Too much fiddliness for what the game offers.
I think that Elder Sign is a nicely themed game if one likes Lovecraftian horror, but I disagree about Ghost Stories. The theme didn't do much for me and it was sort of actively dry and annoying. The various tao-ish symbology and reference stuff almost seemed actively annoying to me, and the ghosts around the village were just irritating/frustrating.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Best co-op evar. Not sure what you mean by annoying. I really like that they all have different abilities. To me it's kind of a perfect sweet spot between uber simple games like Elder Sign and Pandemic and complex ones like AH. It's also quite hard but beatable which is great.

Top Bottom