• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zulux21

Hey all, looking for recommendations again. :) I want a co-operative game to play with my SO. Kind of want something that can be played in more than one sitting, if it's a long game, possibly with a campaign or something. We don't know much about tabletop RPGs, so I've looked into some board games with RPG mechanics that might be more accessible for us like the Dungeons & Dragons series of games.

Some games that I have thrown on my list (some of which don't have RPG mechanics)
- Flash Point Fire Rescue
- Ghost Stories
- Lord of the Rings: The Board Game
- Mage Knight Board Game
- Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
- Dungeons & Drag​ons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
- Rune Age
- Arkham Horror
- Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

My SO is less willing than I to invest into a game, so something shorter and with less of a learning curve is probably best. I watched a video with them on Arkham Horror and they seemed intimidated so probably not a good choice. Also showed them a video of The Legend of Drizzt and they seemed more receptive.

if Arkham insterested you but seemed crazy maybe look at Eldrich (or how ever you spell it) it's basically a newer version of the game but a bit more streamlined and I found it much easier to learn. There are a number of bosses to play with that change things decently. play time can be around 3 hours though depending on how things go.

mage knight is a huge no no if arkham looked bad though, it's stupid complicated to teach yourself, if you know someone who plays it it might not be bad, but my wife and I are used to learning games and have struggled twice to play it even with new guides and what not.

Flash point is fun, easy to learn, but it does lack any sort of real story. only usually takes around an hour though.

ghost stories isn't bad to learn, but even on easy it will knock you over and stomp on you until you cry yourself asleep at night. I tend to play with slightly altered rules that make things even just a touch easier (we still lose though, but the main rule changes we make to easy are that tao tokens can be given up for the global effect, that the push back tile allows you to affect 3 haunters instead of just one side, and that Buddhas can be placed where ever you want the turn you get them.) replayability is based on just randomization of the tiles and decks. this one takes about an hour when you know what you are doing.

the D&D games aren't bad, they aren't that complicated and are fine to play with two players, though with a two player game I recommend both players play two characters as some of the scenarios are quite unbalanced with just two players. but there are multiple scenarios to play thus can be done in multiple sittings. this one varies, typically around 2 hours though.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game solid co op game and plays well with two players this one takes about 90 min to play on average but until you get it down set up and clean up can take a bit since there are so many decks. there are many villians and cases so there is decent replayability there.
edit: as someone else said before me I have heard people prefer the later legendary games to marvel, but I haven't personally played them.

stuff not on your list to check out.

Pathfinder card game. This is a co op card game that has multiple chapters that you progress through and slowly alter your character deck. It has a slight story, but mostly is just exploring decks to do stuff. This game wasn't to bad to learn (big thing is keeping track the difference between discard, bury, recharge, and destroy.) but can take a bit to get used to everything. There are currently 3 different sets to this game so you can pick your theme to go through (though the two not named rise of the runelords seem to have a better design with the items and what not) this one takes about 90 min to play with two players.

Sentinals of the multiverse.
Super hero card game where you are trying to take down a boss, not to much story but all of the cards have flavor text on the bottom. With the different bosses it has a good amount of replayability especially since the heroes feel decently different. The best part, there is an app for this (ios, android, steam) thus you can give this one a go for like $10 if it interests you (the app is pretty good) takes about 90 min to play if you know what you are doing.

Mice and Mystics. this one is odd. calling it a good intro to table top rpgs isn't a bad thing (it has a decent story, teaches you the mechanics and isn't all that complicated) but at the same time despite seemingly being designed for people new to these games, the game isn't all that easy. I'd still say it's easier and better to learn than the D&D games, but some of the scenarios can be oddly difficult for a game that feels like it is aimed at a bit younger age group.

Dead of winter.
I'll start off by saying I don't like zombies, they are boring, and I tend to avoid stuff with them. That being said I decided to give this a try given the rave reviews I saw and I am glad I did. It's got plenty going for it, and with all of the different goals, and crossroads cards the game feels decently different each time. The zombie theme is well done with what is going on and thus while I stil find zombies meh, I don't feel like the game could easily be changed to not have them (I am curious what they will do for future crossroads games) This one wasn't to bad to learn, but there is a decent amount of stuff to keep track of. This one takes about 2 hours.

there might be more, such as maybe something like defenders of the realm, but alas I was in heat all day and my brain isn't working so well so I will leave it at this which I already spent way more time on than I expected lol.

Blizzard

Banned
Best co-op evar. Not sure what you mean by annoying. I really like that they all have different abilities. To me it's kind of a perfect sweet spot between uber simple games like Elder Sign and Pandemic and complex ones like AH. It's also quite hard but beatable which is great.
By "annoying" I suppose I mean the theme felt like it did not add much (to me), and obscured the rules and play slightly because of strange symbols and terms. The village and ghosts didn't appeal to me and it felt more like "Okay, what does this weird symbol do. Is this another marching enemy? Okay let's spawn it here." I'm not even sure the other players were into the ghosts either, and it was just a series of dealing with player-screwing card effects even though we barely won on easy (with one player dead).

This may largely be a personal thing because I prefer scifi or Lovecraft or Greek mythos versus Ghost Stories mythos, though. Obviously some people must enjoy it.

Broken Token has released an Imperial Assault organizer for $42. They said it fits Twin Shadows as well. Even has 2 AT-STs so probably every expansion to date.

I am tempted for that since the Tinker Thinker on Kickstarter is going to reset and take until December.
I might get one. As much as I like doing foam core, I try doing one for Imperial Assault but due to thickness of the foam it just can't hold as much and too time consuming to make individual slot for the figures.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's one PvP adventure (out of around two dozen total).

Cool. I may pick it up at some point. I love Ravenloft.

Also, here's my spread for solo Shadows of Brimstone. SO insane with how much space this game takes up, ha.

oNlQRUt.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Starting the base game campaign of Galaxy Defenders tonight. Am I correct to assume each expansion is run separately? So different agents for each expansion? Or can you play them simultaneously?

Also, the Elite expansion is meant to supplement any of the missions in the base game, is that correct?

E: And should I just play 5 agents on my own since the final mission requires 5? Figure I get used to all 5 now instead of having to arbitrarily bring a 5th in later?

Lyng

Any of you have some thoughts on Tales of Arabian night?

Want to get a adventure/choose your own adventure/story telling kind of game for two players.

Been thinking about Tales.

Any other suggestions?

I use to own Mice and Mystics, and while I enjoyed the story the gameplay was so fiddly and boring that I ended up trading it away.

Want to get a adventure/choose your own adventure/story telling kind of game for two players.

Any other suggestions?

I use to own Mice and Mystics, and while I enjoyed the story the gameplay was so fiddly and boring that I ended up trading it away.
Tales is a very fun game, but it's also very light on game. If you go in expecting not really to play a game, but experience a story, then get it.

If you are looking for more of a game, Agents of Smersh might work for you. It takes the story book concept of Tales but it adds a co-op game to it. It can be random, but if you go in knowing that and letting the story take you along it's fun.

Any other suggestions?

It'a not bad activity but there's very little game in there and it's not apparent at first glance. I'd recommend Sherlock Holmes consulting detective over it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Had a great board game day with some buddies on Saturday out at a cabin. Played Eclipse once, Settlers twice, 7 Wonders four times, Citadels and several games of Bang! (fun card game).

Probably could have fit in more, but we had a newbie in Eclipse.

Blizzard

Banned
Had a great board game day with some buddies on Saturday out at a cabin. Played Eclipse once, Settlers twice, 7 Wonders four times, Citadels and several games of Bang! (fun card game).

Probably could have fit in more, but we had a newbie in Eclipse.
The two shocking things here are that you managed to play Eclipse and another game in the same day (Eclipse took me 5+ hours?), AND that you managed to play several games of Bang! (which normally takes my group ages due to endless healing, miss cards, stagecoaches, etc. even without the Santa Claus character).

Been thinking about Tales

I love Tales, but it needs the right group so everyone enjoys it. Some people in my group are terrible story-tellers and one even had embarrassingly poor reading skills. Things that you might not realize can make for a rough session. If you have drama people or other performers in your play group, it will be ace.

Agents of Smersh is on my shelf and we haven't had the chance to try it yet ={

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The two shocking things here are that you managed to play Eclipse and another game in the same day (Eclipse took me 5+ hours?), AND that you managed to play several games of Bang! (which normally takes my group ages due to endless healing, miss cards, stagecoaches, etc. even without the Santa Claus character).

Lol. More or less played from 11am to 11:30pm. Eclipse took probably about 4 hours. Some Bang games went pretty quick.

Cool. I may pick it up at some point. I love Ravenloft.

Also, here's my spread for solo Shadows of Brimstone. SO insane with how much space this game takes up, ha.

Ha I see your table spread, I raise you Descent solo campaign Dark Elements. (I think they are about the same real estate wise, both game require a lot of space.

The tiles keep kept going to the end of the table and luckily turn downward and for the first time I actually made it to the end (and using all the room set up cards, I lost though)

The tiles keep kept going to the end of the table and luckily turn downward and for the first time I actually made it to the end (and using all the room set up cards, I lost though)
And wait till you play a scenario with a pre-arranged map. We did the Stop the Ritual scenario and were pretty tight for space.

Lyng

Tales is a very fun game, but it's also very light on game. If you go in expecting not really to play a game, but experience a story, then get it.

If you are looking for more of a game, Agents of Smersh might work for you. It takes the story book concept of Tales but it adds a co-op game to it. It can be random, but if you go in knowing that and letting the story take you along it's fun.

Yeah I am going in with the wish for the game to primarily tell me fun stories more than actual fun mechanics.
So based on that I ended up ordering Tales of Arabian Nights.

Cant wait to get it to the table. Will be fun with a very different style of game to what I usually play.

Also ordered Patchwork. Looks like a fun little game with some interesting decisions.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like Dominion is an ancient game by this point, but somehow I seem to have never played it. It should be arriving tomorrow so I guess I'll get to decide whether I should also invest in card sleeves, and whether I enjoy it. :D

Lyng

I feel like Dominion is an ancient game by this point, but somehow I seem to have never played it. It should be arriving tomorrow so I guess I'll get to decide whether I should also invest in card sleeves, and whether I enjoy it. :D

Ancient or no, its still a fun little game if you take it for what it is.
There is zero theme in the game but it is a pure deckbuilder and plays very fast.
The only reason I dont own or play the game anymore is due to my wife hating it with a passion.

Blizzard

Banned
There is zero theme in the game but it is a pure deckbuilder and plays very fast.
The only reason I dont own or play the game anymore is due to my wife hating it with a passion.
Do you mind if I ask why she hates it? Also, I saw recently there are a million expansions, though I may not end up getting them.

Speaking of pure deckbuilders, I learned two things in a local game store today:
1. Race for the Galaxy, a game I like, has 4+ expansions. (This is not a deckbuilder, but I didn't know the expansions existed.)
2. There is a game called Deck Building. It is a deckbuilder for 2 players, in which you race to build a (wooden) deck. There was apparently some special offer bonus, while supplies last, according to a sticky note. It said, "It's a grill!"

NEO0MJ

Dominion is a lot of fun, especially with the expansion. However I hate how it makes the game take longer to finish, especially considering that the short sessions were one of the game's main attractions to us.

zulux21

I lump dominion into the same exact group I do Munchkin.
It can be fun if you are playing with others that don't play it that often and thus don't know exactly how to win, but a real drag if you are playing with people who are playing an optimal strategy to win.

with muchkin it runs into the problem that there are to many end game cards and with to many people who play to win it goes on for ever.

with dominion once the board is laid out you can almost always see the optimal path to take and who ever wins is who ever has their deck line up early on to take that path. thus you need to not know how things work well enough to not be able to see that path as the game very rarely has a lay out that leads to two legitimate paths to take.

I need to try Dominion again with some randomization rules that keep information hidden until certain criteria are met, as not knowing what two of the building are until mid game could make things a lot less obvious what the overall optimal path is.

Do you mind if I ask why she hates it? Also, I saw recently there are a million expansions, though I may not end up getting them.

Speaking of pure deckbuilders, I learned two things in a local game store today:
1. Race for the Galaxy, a game I like, has 4+ expansions. (This is not a deckbuilder, but I didn't know the expansions existed.)
2. There is a game called Deck Building. It is a deckbuilder for 2 players, in which you race to build a (wooden) deck. There was apparently some special offer bonus, while supplies last, according to a sticky note. It said, "It's a grill!"

I would suggest getting at least one or two expansions as the winning strategies in the base set of Dominion can get stale real fast. Even just one expansion adds a ton of variety to the game.

I love Race for the Galaxy too. The first expansion alone is great because it adds the goal tiles that give players additional ways to score points and sometimes even guide their strategy.

fenners

I love Race for the Galaxy too. The first expansion alone is great because it adds the goal tiles that give players additional ways to score points and sometimes even guide their strategy.

Yeah, the first expansion (Gathering Storm) is a great addition - it rounds out the card set nicely, and the goals tiles give some nice direction & twists. The other expansions add more mechanics (like takeovers & prestige) & I'm not as keen on them because of that.

Experien

I never cared for Dominion. It always seemed dull and boring and it is probably cause my first deck builder was Resident Evil. Might have to play it again cause my nephew is into it now.

Started painting my Stormtroopers from IA. They turned out amazing after the black wash, but when we tried to bring back the white...it went all downhill and to amateur territory. Only did someone of them and might just keep the rest as is since they look so nice.

Lyng

with dominion once the board is laid out you can almost always see the optimal path to take and who ever wins is who ever has their deck line up early on to take that path. thus you need to not know how things work well enough to not be able to see that path as the game very rarely has a lay out that leads to two legitimate paths to take.

I need to try Dominion again with some randomization rules that keep information hidden until certain criteria are met, as not knowing what two of the building are until mid game could make things a lot less obvious what the overall optimal path is.

Yeah that is very true. That also leads to it beeing almost impossible to catch up if someone gets their engine going first. Especially in the base game.

With the base set, sure. For the most part, it's one or two key cards and then buying money all the way.

Once you throw in something like Intrigue or Seaside, though, you immediately add so many more paths to win. When I play with my friends, the competition changes to who comes up with the best strategy and executing. In fact, we rarely have games where there's only one obvious way to win.

The best way to avoid optimal pathing in dominion for savvy players is to double the cards that you can buy and then draft them until you get the correct number. It's still pseudo random but allows for more strategy and you can try to block certain strategies during drafting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So bummed that the Tumblin' Dice reissue appears to have shit components (noticed 3 stars on CSI -- which is super rare). Why oh why do so many board-game developers have to cater exclusively to the lowest common denominator. I would have paid a lot for a "premium" edition because that game is so good. Now I won't bother upgrading my (also junky quality) older edition. :/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Played Galaxy Defenders last night. I figured playing with 5 agents wouldn't be too bad...But wow - teleporting in 4 signals and getting something like, "Activate all aliens" makes it VERY hard to make significant strides towards victory. My mission ended poorly with me destroying zero of the teleport beacons. Crazy. That being said, I am enjoying the game a ton.

I'm trying to figure out how to organise Cosmic Encounter and the 2 expansions I bought today (Incursion and Conflict) but I don't know what to put where and the boxes are too small and oh god help

NEO0MJ

God damn it, I fucked up the painting of my first minature. It was going fine at first but then I rushed the yellow paint without testing it. It seems I put too much thiner and it started dissolving the silver paint underneath. To continue my fuck up I decided to rush putting black paint for the eyes other the good red paint and then had a big black spot, which forced me to remove all the paint around it. Though I guess it looks like the phoenix has a scar now.
Lesson learned, I guess.

Speaking of Imperial Assault insert, have any of you guys use product from Go7? I only bought a few Broken Token (mostly for the LCG and the last one I bought was for Aliens Encounters after giving up trying to make foamcore). My problem with Broken Token is the price (I think they are a bit expensive and they make the game box really heavy).

http://go7gaming.com/

Go7 has a "value line" and I can get all my LCG organize for just $14.00, but I never heard of them before. They also make a really nice Imperial Assault, which cost more than the one by Broken Token but it suppose to hold all the expansion up to Wave 4 with the caveat that you have to put the tiles in another box (Twin Shadows).

http://go7gaming.com/product/imperial-001-insert/

GiJoccin

I'm trying to figure out how to organise Cosmic Encounter and the 2 expansions I bought today (Incursion and Conflict) but I don't know what to put where and the boxes are too small and oh god help

I fit 4 expansions in the box... I removed the organizer they had in there and just put everything in, while organizing the cards into red, yellow, green aliens, and the cards into a few Ziploc bags

Neverfade

I saw a base set of Doomtown for stupid cheap and I ordered it.

The card game sickness is real. I don't even know what boards are anymore!

Blizzard

Banned
The best way to avoid optimal pathing in dominion for savvy players is to double the cards that you can buy and then draft them until you get the correct number. It's still pseudo random but allows for more strategy and you can try to block certain strategies during drafting.
By drafting, do you mean every player gets a turn to pick a pile that will remain in the game, until 10 piles are picked?

Or, do you mean every player gets a turn to REMOVE a pile from the game, until only 10 piles are left?

Experien

Speaking of Imperial Assault insert, have any of you guys use product from Go7? I only bought a few Broken Token (mostly for the LCG and the last one I bought was for Aliens Encounters after giving up trying to make foamcore). My problem with Broken Token is the price (I think they are a bit expensive and they make the game box really heavy).

http://go7gaming.com/

Go7 has a "value line" and I can get all my LCG organize for just $14.00, but I never heard of them before. They also make a really nice Imperial Assault, which cost more than the one by Broken Token but it suppose to hold all the expansion up to Wave 4 with the caveat that you have to put the tiles in another box (Twin Shadows).

http://go7gaming.com/product/imperial-001-insert/

That Imperial Assault holder is no good. It doesn't hold everything out now and more expensive? Also, do people really need three sets of dice?

Broken Token is $41 and they've been bragging how it holds Twin Shadows. I am on the fence between theirs and Thinker Tinker Maker KS which is $45 but looks like it holds it all. It also has labeled dividers for cards unlike BT. And it looks like it is a good way to story painted figures aslong as you shake the box.

That's the downside, how they are stored. I'm almost tempted to just buy foam and some plastic container of some kind and forgo all these inserts.

GiJoccin

For those of you who picked up Mysterium at comicon, how is it? Is the new version worse than the polish/ukranian versions?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Will this be available to purchase later? I really want a copy of this game.

The CEs I suspect were Kickstarter only, so I think your only chance for one of those is the reseller market.

The reprint of the standard deluxe version I think is sold out again at the publisher site, so you'll have to wait for another print run if you can't find it at another retailer.

Neverfade

For those of you who picked up Mysterium at comicon, how is it? Is the new version worse than the polish/ukranian versions?

I don't have it, but from what I understand the new stuff added to the English version can be removed and the game played identically to the polish version.

GiJoccin

I don't have it, but from what I understand the new stuff added to the English version can be removed and the game played identically to the polish version.

yea, i decided to hold off on mysterium until i have a few more sessions on some games i got recently

instead decided to preorder codenames to fill a different niche

fenners

The CEs I suspect were Kickstarter only, so I think your only chance for one of those is the reseller market.

GMT will have some, but not many, of the Twilight Struggle CEs to sell via their own website - they've said so repeatedly since the KS launched.

Top Bottom