• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Such as?

Abstract games don't generally have much theme, so you either love the mechanics/puzzling or you don't.

Hive with the multiple types of pieces, Pyramid Arcade with the different games, Patchwork with the three kinds of currencies, etc.

They don't find it that interesting, what's wrong with that?

I'm ok with the conclusion. In fact, I have found it a bit more meh than I expected.

My issue is that their description of the game and how it works was wrong. Normally this is understandable, but Santorini is literally "learn it in 60 seconds". If you don't even know the win condition you do have to wonder about the opinion overall.

When you combine that with thoughts on Scythe based on the rulebook, it was all very off.

Totally fair. I think their comment was more in line how uninteresting the gameplay is.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Got a copy of Roads & Boats! Unplayed with the & cetera expansion unopened. Now only Great Zimbabwe and Antiquity remain. Can not wait to get this game to the table. It will probably be the one to make me finally put Gloomhaven away for the first time lol

Chris R

How many were you playing with?
Heard that the game difficulty is kind of out of wack -- i.e., quite easy for 2 and quite hard for 4. We just barely got the highest rating by three points, but were playing 2p (and obviously a lot of it is kind of random).
3/4 were with 4 and the other were with 3. We thought it was hard but again I thought we did well in our final games :/ apparently not

EYEL1NER

I will finally get to try Twilight Struggle at some point soon, because I bought it a few hours ago. I have wanted to play it for a while but didn't intend on buying it for a long while. I finally caved on a new printing of the Deluxe Edition for $38 though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hive with the multiple types of pieces, Pyramid Arcade with the different games, Patchwork with the three kinds of currencies, etc.

They don't find it that interesting, what's wrong with that?

Totally fair. I think their comment was more in line how uninteresting the gameplay is.

I really like Hive and Patchwork, but I find Santorini quite a bit more intricate and varied than both of those. I cannot state enough how huge of a deal it is that Santorini matches play different every time and you are staring at a different puzzle with every match. One match I was playing against my girlfriend with an ability to ride around the board wherever she wanted, so I needed to come up with "wave breakers" to stop her accessing every part of the board. Super interesting and nothing that came up in any other match of Santorini.

This becomes even more pronounced in 2v2, where I played a match where one team put teleport portals on the map and with the second ability could walk up to an enemy worker and kill it. For our opponents this was super tense and crazily intricate due to how many different kill moves this allowed and when they were safe to stand close to us (meaning, my team partner couldnt kill their workers, but I could, so they started developing tactics that would take that into account).

This game is incredibly interesting. If someone has it around, you really should play 3-4 matches with different setups to let all that sink in. Opinions and all, but "uninteresting" really does not seem all that fair to me considering how much is going on in that game. I could see how someone gets that impression after moving pieces a bit without actually playing more than a few matches. However, if you played some matches and even if its not your cup of tea and even if you think it might be too complex with the different options, Santorini at least deserves credit for the intricate puzzle it creates every time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I will finally get to try Twilight Struggle at some point soon, because I bought it a few hours ago. I have wanted to play it for a while but didn't intend on buying it for a long while. I finally caved on a new printing of the Deluxe Edition for $38 though.

Great choice. If you end up liking the genre, grab Wir sind das Volk as well.

Edit: Also Genoa arrived today. :) Thanks again for the recommendation, will probably play it on sunday.

Iced

Dammit everyone, stop talking so favourably about Santorini! I promised myself I wouldn't buy any games for a while!

chifanpoe

Dammit everyone, stop talking so favourably about Santorini! I promised myself I wouldn't buy any games for a while!

It is such an amazing game. I even enjoy just watching my 6 and 10 you play it against each other. It has surpassed our old favorite abstract 2p game of Patchwork.

Iced

Has anyone here been keeping an eye on the Terminator board game on Kickstarter? Looks pretty interesting. Plays across two boards: one in 1984, and another in 2029. Actions in 1984 affect the future 2029 board. I'm watching their playthrough video using a demo board and it seems like it could be fun. Hopefully the minis turn out well in the final product.

This could be the first game I support on Kickstarter. I LOVE the first Terminator film.

joelseph

I don't think I will be going to GenCon this year. It has become way too much of a pain to get a hotel downtown and the Convention is becoming less and less about board games and more about geek culture in general. I am much happier at smaller Cons that are still focused on gaming.

I don't think I will be going to GenCon this year. It has become way too much of a pain to get a hotel downtown and the Convention is becoming less and less about board games and more about geek culture in general. I am much happier at smaller Cons that are still focused on gaming.

What we decided on last year too. Miss what Gencon used to be like

Has anyone here been keeping an eye on the Terminator board game on Kickstarter? Looks pretty interesting. Plays across two boards: one in 1984, and another in 2029. Actions in 1984 affect the future 2029 board. I'm watching their playthrough video using a demo board and it seems like it could be fun. Hopefully the minis turn out well in the final product.

This could be the first game I support on Kickstarter. I LOVE the first Terminator film.

I'm kinda iffy on it, the product quality of their Evil Dead game looked pretty bad.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well shit this will be my first Gencon. What has changed so much? I thought there was still plenty of gameplay?

Well shit this will be my first Gencon. What has changed so much? I thought there was still plenty of gameplay?

They have been every year making it more and more into a general geek con. It wouldn't be too bad if the con wasn't so crowded. The gaming doesn't really grow, but they keep adding general geeky shit to the con, like cosplay stuff keeps growing, steam punk stuff, geek film fests, geek craft seminars, etc rooms being used for random con shit instead of actual gaming.

It gets harder and harder to actually do what you want to do, companies have limited space to run their events so popular demos and such fill up within minutes of registration. Instead of expanding, the space is being taken up by other non gaming related stuff. You got tons of event rooms in the con occupied by crap like the old school Arcade in a huge room which is prettty bare bones, yet a company like Rio Grande is stuck demoing in a tiny space so you have to wait forever to try anything.

There is tons of gaming at the con yes, but they keep piling on other crap and the attendance keeps going up, which just makes the experience kinda miserable. Getting any kind of food takes longer and longer each year. Getting a place to stay gets harder and harder. Events are getting harder to get into, demos take longer to wait for, etc. The exclusives selling out quicker.

The con would really benefit from them putting limits on tickets, it's gotten too big, while other cons like PAX and such have learned long ago to limit ticket sales. But Gencon just wants to sell as much as they can.

Lot of folks wanting to focus on gaming have been switching to events like Origins and BGGcon. Not as fancy as Gencon, but it's comfortable and tons of gaming to be had.

Slacker

Did everyone give up on Star Wars Destiny already? Seems like it'll never be in stock anywhere and I don't read or hear about it much these days.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Did everyone give up on Star Wars Destiny already? Seems like it'll never be in stock anywhere and I don't read or hear about it much these days.

I'm still playing a ton.

the supply issues are certainly hampering the game's growth, though to be honest it's also a great sign they sold it out.

Slacker

I'm still playing a ton.

the supply issues are certainly hampering the game's growth, though to be honest it's also a great sign they sold it out.

I'm a little concerned with rumors that they're not going to bother reprinting the first run. Seems very strange to have a competitive game where there are certain cards relatively few players will have.

I'm a little concerned with rumors that they're not going to bother reprinting the first run. Seems very strange to have a competitive game where there are certain cards relatively few players will have.

Highly doubt that. If anything it's likely more that they have no reprint on the current radar with the new sets coming out. They likely will reprint down the line though, but they rather focus on getting the new product out.

ultron87

As this thread's designated Gen Con apologist, I'll just say that the vast majority of the convention is still game focused. It sounds like they're going to have even more space for that this year by putting games on the main floor of the Colt's stadium. It is very easy to fill up a full day with gaming.

It can take a bit of time if you want to demo a game at a booth in the dealer hall sure, but you can schedule events to play a lot of stuff and have a guaranteed time and spot. You just need to be on it when event registration comes up if there's a popular thing you want to play. There's also a several game libraries that you can buy time to use as well. If you're a Tabletop RPG player at all, it's even easier to fill up time with playing in RPG sessions.

Smaller cons are also great (I've been to Origins the last two years) but Gen Con is my favorite still. I love the spectacle and all the people it brings together.

As this thread's designated Gen Con apologist, I'll just say that the vast majority of the convention is still game focused. It sounds like they're going to have even more space for that this year by putting games on the main floor of the Colt's stadium. It is very easy to fill up a full day with gaming.

It can take a bit of time if you want to demo a game at a booth in the dealer hall sure, but you can schedule events to play a lot of stuff and have a guaranteed time and spot. You just need to be on it when event registration comes up if there's a popular thing you want to play. There's also a several game libraries that you can buy time to use as well. If you're a Tabletop RPG player at all, it's even easier to fill up time with playing in RPG sessions.

Smaller cons are also great (I've been to Origins the last two years) but Gen Con is my favorite still. I love the spectacle and all the people it brings together.

The issue I have is the spectacle. If you want to actually play games, then yes there is tons of that, but you can get that in more comfortable smaller venues and for alot cheaper. The biggest reason to go to Gencon was the spectacle part, which has gotten just so over crowded. Going to actually play a game with the open gaming tables and such, was never an issue. But to get into special events, con exclusives, demos, etc has gotten worse each year. And the housing situation is a nightmare

While cleaning out the garage over the weekend I found my old (early-90's maybe?) boxed copy of Axis & Allies (Classic?). I haven't played since high school, but since it was a crazy rainy weekend here in CA, I thought it might be fun to give it a try with my kids now (14 and 10).

I was _not_ prepared for how many of the rules & regulations I forgot over the last 20 years. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on things.. but as soon as we started setting up the board I realized I had no idea what I was doing!

A "quick" perusal of the rule book confirmed that fact. I figured I had the kids captive for now, so I might as well start and do a little "on the job training". Checking back into the rule book every time a situation came up.. it worked out OK, and helped teach the kids the rules at the same time.

I couldn't remember which side was more difficult, so I opt'd to be the Axis, and let them be the Allies (probably a mistake in hindsight...).

axisandallies02.jpg

The game ended up lasting close to 6 hours, though there were a few breaks in between. I felt a little bad, I steamrolled Russia, who was being played by my 10 year old, but I told myself it was a learning opportunity :) The kids ended up having a good time, though it lasted a little too long for their tastes.

I spent the next day reading the rules in depth, and the revised rules as well, an realized we did some things wrong (air movement, islands) but it was still a fun time. Hopefully I can get them to try again, as it was fun to do it together.

At some point I bought the Axis & Allies: 20th Anniversary Edition and Axis & Allies: D-Day, but never got around to opening/playing them. Does anyone know how these compare/differ from the "Classic" version I'm familiar with?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
They have been every year making it more and more into a general geek con. It wouldn't be too bad if the con wasn't so crowded. The gaming doesn't really grow, but they keep adding general geeky shit to the con, like cosplay stuff keeps growing, steam punk stuff, geek film fests, geek craft seminars, etc rooms being used for random con shit instead of actual gaming.

It gets harder and harder to actually do what you want to do, companies have limited space to run their events so popular demos and such fill up within minutes of registration. Instead of expanding, the space is being taken up by other non gaming related stuff. You got tons of event rooms in the con occupied by crap like the old school Arcade in a huge room which is prettty bare bones, yet a company like Rio Grande is stuck demoing in a tiny space so you have to wait forever to try anything.

There is tons of gaming at the con yes, but they keep piling on other crap and the attendance keeps going up, which just makes the experience kinda miserable. Getting any kind of food takes longer and longer each year. Getting a place to stay gets harder and harder. Events are getting harder to get into, demos take longer to wait for, etc. The exclusives selling out quicker.

The con would really benefit from them putting limits on tickets, it's gotten too big, while other cons like PAX and such have learned long ago to limit ticket sales. But Gencon just wants to sell as much as they can.

Lot of folks wanting to focus on gaming have been switching to events like Origins and BGGcon. Not as fancy as Gencon, but it's comfortable and tons of gaming to be had.

I am still excited for it. We were able to get some pretty good rooms in the hotel, I guess that will help. I am worried about anything that I might want to get selling out before I get a chance to pick them up.

CoolstuffInc came through. Just got the tracking number for my pre-ordered copy of Gloomhaven!

Be prepared for some shit. Gloomhaven is some shit.

I am still excited for it. We were able to get some pretty good rooms in the hotel, I guess that will help. I am worried about anything that I might want to get selling out before I get a chance to pick them up.

Just go in with the expectation that you are not going to get everything you want. You go for one new release at Gencon at door opens, you are missing out on something else. If you are going for Con exclusives, then set your expectations lower.

And if you just are gonna run in to try and get a new release game, maybe consider not doing that. People rush in to buy a new game a couple months early at full retail price and then have to pay even more to ship it home or pack it up to travel back with them. Just wait a little and get a preordered copy of that game online at discount. For years I used to go and come back with tons of new games early, having to ship by fedex home all the stuff, just to realize that I was spending hundreds more to just get a game a month or two early?

If you want exclusives, then focus on that, just realize the bigger the company the harder it is to get. Wizkids stuff for example will often have their exclusives line shut down within 2 minutes of door open.

Slacker

At some point I bought the Axis & Allies: 20th Anniversary Edition and Axis & Allies: D-Day, but never got around to opening/playing them. Does anyone know how these compare/differ from the "Classic" version I'm familiar with?

Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy A&A, it really hasn't evolved much over the years. The newer versions have tweaks to a few things, but the mechanics are largely the same. I've daydreamed about creating an A&A-style game using Eclipse type mechanics, specifically the limited number of actions per turns, waiting 45 minutes for your opponent to take a turn in A&A is freakin ridiculous.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

they are reprinting the first set/

The challenge for them is their production facility is at max, and right now they need to do a couple things:

more starters
print Spirit of Rebellion
Summer Awakenings reprint

Awakenings won't be as needed either once SoR comes out (more good cards should mean more choices, and should mean the Awakenings cards are still good, but there are options.

I'm confident FFG will get more cards out there, it's really just that timing thing and the real logistical issue of manufacturing the dice.

And I'd guess you'll see Awakenings re-printed again after the summer too in time for the fall. They'll keep turning it out at least for a year or two as needed.

ParityBit

Oh man ... as kid I played this game so many times. We played in the extra (unfinished) room above my friends garage. We had one 5 player game game that went on for days and we ran out of chips and dice to mark troops on the German/Russia boarder! So we finally decided to put all the chips from both sides on the table and roll a shit ton of dice for hours.

Those were the days.

joelseph

I will already guarantee Pandemic Season 2 will be in extreme short supply and will sell out to VIG and members of the Press before the doors ever open. Every single day of the Con.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point but GEEKWAY is the best gaming convention. Small convention in Missouri capped at less than 1500 people. You are guaranteed a free game just for going. Last year I got Fury of Dracula. There will be a long list of the hottest new games that you can play all weekend. For every game logged you have a chance of winning that game at the end of the Con. There are tons of great other prizes given out each day. Miniature Market is just minutes away from the con and has a table of DEEP discounts rotated daily. There are no-ship trades and flea markets. and a ~1000 item FREE Library that you can check out anything you want and play it wherever you want. Want to check out a super rare game overnight and play it in your hotel room? Go for it! Best part of all this is that is all there is to it. Just gaming and more gaming. Geekway is the best.

Speaking of conventions, anyone going to any other board gaming conventions out there? So far I've only been to HeavyCon, hosted by the HeavyCardboard podcast in Denver, CO. Just finalized plans to go later this year. But I've yet to go anywhere else. I know a few in NJ happen once every few months about an hour or two north of me. And then there's that PAX Unplugged happening in Philly that I'm really interested in going. Hopefully it doesn't sell out as quickly as PAX East.

JesseZao

I'm debating going to a small board gaming convention this weekend, but still haven't decided.

I'm already going to a couple of meetups this week so my "free time usage" is pretty capped. I might go friday night at the very least. I've never gone to a con before, but would love to meet other people from the area and maybe play-to-win some new stuff.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Is this a good shit or bad shit? :p

100% good shit.

Just go in with the expectation that you are not going to get everything you want. You go for one new release at Gencon at door opens, you are missing out on something else. If you are going for Con exclusives, then set your expectations lower.

And if you just are gonna run in to try and get a new release game, maybe consider not doing that. People rush in to buy a new game a couple months early at full retail price and then have to pay even more to ship it home or pack it up to travel back with them. Just wait a little and get a preordered copy of that game online at discount. For years I used to go and come back with tons of new games early, having to ship by fedex home all the stuff, just to realize that I was spending hundreds more to just get a game a month or two early?

If you want exclusives, then focus on that, just realize the bigger the company the harder it is to get. Wizkids stuff for example will often have their exclusives line shut down within 2 minutes of door open.

I just want t obe able to maybe get a copy of Rising Sun early. That's all I want, man.

Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy A&A, it really hasn't evolved much over the years. The newer versions have tweaks to a few things, but the mechanics are largely the same. I've daydreamed about creating an A&A-style game using Eclipse type mechanics, specifically the limited number of actions per turns, waiting 45 minutes for your opponent to take a turn in A&A is freakin ridiculous.

Yeah, I've been down a rabbit hole this week looking up the different versions and variants of the game that have popped up over the last 15 years. Seems like they've TRIED to narrow the scope, or streamline things.. but with pretty mixed results.

The A&A 1940 "Global" version seems impressive.. but that game board must be yuuuuge and take forever. I don't even have enough friends to reliably stock a 9-person game!

The time between moves is a pain, I don't think I've ever played a super competitive game, but I could see that taking forever as people analyze every last move.

Oh man ... as kid I played this game so many times. We played in the extra (unfinished) room above my friends garage. We had one 5 player game game that went on for days and we ran out of chips and dice to mark troops on the German/Russia boarder! So we finally decided to put all the chips from both sides on the table and roll a shit ton of dice for hours.

Those were the days.

Ha! Yeah, it's my fond memories that got me to pull it out. Would be cool if my kids end up having a similar memory for the games.. but with video games these days, I'm not sure I can convince them to keep going!

Karkador

Banned
I think Legacy 2 sounds interesting on paper (the paper on the back of the box, anyway), but I'm very skeptical after other "legacy" games have just floundered a bit. The farther they get away from a proven game design, the worse it is. I mostly enjoyed Legacy 1, but I can easily wait until well after release to consider this one.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Launching a KS tomorrow. Super nervous, been a bit since we've done one of these.

Give you kids a sneak preview:

Jon Gilmour (Dead of Winter) + Brian Lewis (Titans of Industry).

Dinosaur Island.

Tight mid-weight Euro about building a Dinosaur theme park where dinos can escape and eat your guests. Dice as resources, with a pretty competitive resource acquisition phase, a light auction mechanic and worker placement where each player builds their own worker placement board.

It's getting a little tight right now. Art is 100% done, but the (non text) rulebook layout and gameplay video are both finishing the night before :p

Mikeside

Launching a KS tomorrow. Super nervous, been a bit since we've done one of these.

Dinosaur Island.

Tight mid-weight Euro about building a Dinosaur theme park where dinos can escape and eat your guests. Dice as resources, with a pretty competitive resource acquisition phase, a light auction mechanic and worker placement where each player builds their own worker placement board.

It's getting a little tight right now. Art is 100% done, but the (non text) rulebook layout and gameplay video are both finishing the night before :p

Jon Gilmour is involved? I just backed his make/100 game. How does it work managing time between this and that one?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jon Gilmour is involved? I just backed his make/100 game. How does it work managing time between this and that one?

His work on Dino Island has mostly been done for over a year. It's ready to go to the printer, and other than some balance tweeks over the last few months it's been "in the can" so to speak.

Most of the work in the interim has been between us and the graphic design team.

Dino Island has basically been 3 months behind Wasteland Express (also a game Jon worked on) for us since we signed WEDS. We gobbled up two of his designs straight away when we first played them because he's super good at making things fun.

His make 100 (which I'm backing, but other than liking Jon I have no involvement with) I think is more of an art project for Jon to kind of share the game creation experience which is pretty cool.

Mikeside

His work on Dino Island has mostly been done for over a year. It's ready to go to the printer, and other than some balance tweeks over the last few months it's been "in the can" so to speak.

Most of the work in the interim has been between us and the graphic design team.

Dino Island has basically been 3 months behind Wasteland Express (also a game Jon worked on) for us since we signed WEDS. We gobbled up two of his designs straight away when we first played them because he's super good at making things fun.

His make 100 (which I'm backing, but other than liking Jon I have no involvement with) I think is more of an art project for Jon to kind of share the game creation experience which is pretty cool.

ahh fair enough!

not that I doubted he'd do both (he seems a great designer and a good dude to boot), but it interested me how he'd satisfy two KS commitments at once!

WEDS sounds great, I'm looking forward to pre-ordering and getting it
Dino Island sounds promising too. Def link it in here, I'll be eager to see it (I assume there'll be a lot of deep cut jurassic park references?)

Dinosaur Island.

Sounds like it ticks a lot of my boxes, will check it out for sure

Then let me suggest El Grande :) While its not as pretty as the others its a far better game.
As for Blood Rage, the reviews seem to point to it being a great game, but I've recently seen a lot of comments on BGG and youtube videos complaining about the gameplay (is gameplay the correct term?) being subpar and that the minis are what sells the game. As opposed to Kemet which seems like a more well rounded game.

Do Blood Rage or Kemet suffer from anticlimactic endings or runaway victories? I want a game that can remaing exciting up until the very end.

Slacker

The A&A 1940 "Global" version seems impressive.. but that game board must be yuuuuge and take forever. I don't even have enough friends to reliably stock a 9-person game!

A&A Global is fun, but yeah it takes 8-10 hours. I've played maybe a dozen times through, but always with only me and one other friend. We'll do it on a Sunday during football season so we can watch 9 hours of football games while we play.

Playing with 9 I think the game would take longer than the war it's based on. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
they are reprinting the first set/

The challenge for them is their production facility is at max, and right now they need to do a couple things:

more starters
print Spirit of Rebellion
Summer Awakenings reprint

Awakenings won't be as needed either once SoR comes out (more good cards should mean more choices, and should mean the Awakenings cards are still good, but there are options.

I'm confident FFG will get more cards out there, it's really just that timing thing and the real logistical issue of manufacturing the dice.

And I'd guess you'll see Awakenings re-printed again after the summer too in time for the fall. They'll keep turning it out at least for a year or two as needed.

Yeah it seems like a lot of hearsay right now regarding the first set. Derived from a couple general places: (1) FFG not yet confirming reprint timing (possibly just due to the fact they don't know yet; (2) speculation that FFG will not reprint so as to prop up the market and scarcity.

#2 sounds like total gamer FUD/conspiracy theorizing to me. FFG knows damn well they have to foster and grow the community around this game if they want to keep making big money with each new release. Occam's Razor here is just that no one in the world has experience making these dice at scale and demand outstripped expectations (I remember people complaining about Destiny being too expensive, so despite all the Monday-Morning Quarterbacking, maybe FFG did think the price point would lead to modest rather than insane demand).

My speculation is no better than any rando's though so who knows. :p I'm just glad we finally have an event south of freaking Concord here in the bay area coming up in a few weeks.

EYEL1NER

Dinosaur Island.

Awwwww yiss. We definitely need more dinosaur games out there. I still remember how bummed I was when I checked out the "Dinosaur" theme page on BGG and saw how few there were.
Any chance you could share with us now what time the project goes live?

I played my first game of Terra Mystica. Add me to the camp of people who love the game.

It was overwhelming at first with all the rules to remember. We even thought we had some rules wrong since by the second round we felt so restricted by the limited resources we had at our disposal. We clearly did a bad job in our first round to setup an engine that enabled us to consistenly have gold and power.

I was the nomads and didn't look into my special power for building a fortress (Huge mistake). I was too busy trying to enforce the rules and teach the game to everyone else in the table. Making sure there was no confusion.

Suffice to say, the game has many rules but is very intuitive. By the third round everyone knew exactly what to do and we got into a rhythm.

I lost by three victory points to my wife, who also always beats me in manhattan project, lol.

I think I'm going to pick up Mage Knight tomorrow.

I have Robinson Crusoe and A Feast for Odin pre-ordered now. Will probably stick to expansions and some lighter opening games for my next round of purchases.

Top Bottom