• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

JesseZao

Mine showed up yesterday as well. Took me over 2 hours to punch, organize, and sleeve this monster. Girls picked out their characters and I am going to start painting them today. We ran through mission 1, one time before going to bed. Hit it again this morning for a practice play. The game is already a huge hit with them (and me).

B6lE7jc.jpg

The box is as big as your kid! Guess that's why I haven't seen it in retail.

SumGamer

Mine showed up yesterday as well. Took me over 2 hours to punch, organize, and sleeve this monster. Girls picked out their characters and I am going to start painting them today. We ran through mission 1, one time before going to bed. Hit it again this morning for a practice play. The game is already a huge hit with them (and me).

B6lE7jc.jpg

That box is massive. There goes my dream of importing it.

Mikeside

Gloomhaven just got delivered. My god. Even after reading impressione and podcasts about it, nothing can prepare you for its utterly massive amount of stuff. If you aren't prepared to be storing as you punch out I don't know how you'd ever be able to find stuff. And I say this as a positive.

I'm so upset I don't have a copy of this coming

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Meh don't agree with that review of it not being fun. Of the 8-9 times I have played it solo and 2-4p I have always had fun. Slow and plodding moving, see Cry Havoc. Never haveI seen even close to a snowballing winner out of the gate. Inis as an alternative to Scythe? please, it can keep its Bren and Uno mechanics.

They weren't saying it was a 1:1 alternative, just that if you were into X thing they preferred Inis for that thing (don't remember what that thing was, maybe territory control), whereas Scythe was just a mishmash of stuff that didn't match up in any individual department. Not saying I agree -- and I know they will get tons of criticism for this review as the Scythe fanbase is pretty rabid -- but I think that was more their take.

Scythe review was ok, I agree with parts and disagree with others.

I have never seen someone snowball but when assigning factions and player mats randomly I have definitely been assigned utter shit combinations and within a couple of turns been landlocked, completely losing access to resources until much later in the game. That really sucked.

I love the game though.

Iced

Welp, I bought Santorini. Hoping to either play it tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for making me spend money, Neogaf, you jerks.

:D

Now where the hell am I going to fit this on my already full shelves...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
First time I've watched them since Quinn's tore into my beloved Trajan. They seem to have lost their allure for me.
Out of all the board-game reviewers out there I really can't think of anyone who comes close. Most are just waaaay too positive about anything that has any hype behind it. I may not always agree with SUSD but for such a big site really respect how they're willing to be critical of games. It's reviewers though so ymmv. I can see people who love Scythe being irked just as I was about their opinions of 7 Wonders and Duel.

Mr E.

Out of all the board-game reviewers out there I really can't think of anyone who comes close. Most are just waaaay too positive about anything that has any hype behind it. I may not always agree with SUSD but for such a big site really respect how they're willing to be critical of games. It's reviewers though so ymmv. I can see people who love Scythe being irked just as I was about their opinions of 7 Wonders and Duel.

Jon gets games and Slickerdrips are both good no nonsense reviewers. Although Slickerdrips purchases his games and therefor his tendency is to like them but he still gives an honest review and a separate full play through.

Not knocking SUSD. I was into them in the Paul & Quinn's days back when they were on Vimeo. Matt & Quinn's doesn't have that magic spark that they had back then and my tastes have changed also. Plus how dare he mock my Trajan lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jon gets games and Slickerdrips are both good no nonsense reviewers. Although Slickerdrips purchases his games and therefor his tendency is to like them but he still gives an honest review and a separate full play through.

Not knocking SUSD. I was into them in the Paul & Quinn's days back when they were on Vimeo. Matt & Quinn's doesn't have that magic spark that they had back then and my tastes have changed also. Plus how dare he mock my Trajan lol.
Yeah I subscribe to jongetsgames too, and he definitely has solid analysis but his style is almost too by-the-book for me and tbh he just loves super-dry long euros way more than I do is our styles kind of clash. Reviewer-wise in terms of taste I'm probably closest to Tom Vasel but he's got his own issues as a reviewer, largely revolving around the fact that he seems to barely have any time to dig into the games he reviews, and definitely suffers from the overly positive issue.

I think it is quite clear now that Matt doesn't give a shit about boardgames in favour of videogames and Quinns isn't far behind. That really just leaves Paul reviewing things by himself. That is fine, but he has clear preferences for some games over others and they work best when there are alternative opinions bouncing off of each other.

That said, pretty sure they would all say scythe is only average.

I think it is quite clear now that Matt doesn't give a shit about boardgames in favour of videogames and Quinns isn't far behind. That really just leaves Paul reviewing things by himself. That is fine, but he has clear preferences for some games over others and they work best when there are alternative opinions bouncing off of each other.

That said, pretty sure they would all say scythe is only average.

I have been noticing this too. I like Quinn's insights in the Cogwatch series, but it is still somewhat of a shame.

I am finding the opposite for myself, pretty rapidly. I'm looking forward to Torment and Divinity OS 2, outside of them I am not sure what video games I am even looking forward to this year.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What is their video game stuff? That Cool Ghosts thing still? I tried to listen but thought the other participants were generally really bad.

What is their video game stuff? That Cool Ghosts thing still? I tried to listen but thought the other participants were generally really bad.

Yeah cool ghosts and the podcast.

I really don't enjoy it too much. It may sound arrogant but I don't think they have much to tell me about videogames and they don't have the access of a giantbomb etc. In boardgame land however they still have a lot to offer... except probably making money for themselves.

I have been noticing this too. I like Quinn's insights in the Cogwatch series, but it is still somewhat of a shame.

I am finding the opposite for myself, pretty rapidly. I'm looking forward to Torment and Divinity OS 2, outside of them I am not sure what video games I am even looking forward to this year.

I'm much the same. In my case however it is because I have girls getting to the age where we can play dungeon petz or something. That is often more enjoyable then playing a game by myself.

Super rhino hero goty 2017

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Time for Genoa today. Now to decide on the second game of the night, hmmm.

chifanpoe

Welp, I bought Santorini. Hoping to either play it tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for making me spend money, Neogaf, you jerks.

:D

Now where the hell am I going to fit this on my already full shelves...

It is addicting and fast! Between it, Mint Works, and Love Letters my girls play 4-5 times a week sense we picked it up.

This was game number 3 in a row from yesterday morning:
kXME3Xv.jpg

Keasar

Viticulture is a really good one a bit heavier but it has a race feel to it. The victory conditions are based on the first to a set amount of points.

Snowdonia is very solid too.

How many players are you looking for?

Edit to add neither are anywhere near as heavy as Argent.

I would recomend looking bgg marketplace for crisis (only ever sold in ks shipped in Last autumn) by ludicreations. It is excellent workerplacemen/econony engine with a nice twist. If you only focus on money and resources and dont gather victory constantly the econony goes to crisis and if you dont stop it you all lose

Thanks! I'll definetly check these out, though the Crisis game seems to be gone from everywhere, it looks cool, so I hope they do a reprint. :(

Hm, something to keep in mind then for later, really need a good worker placement game for the collection and don't know what to go for. Been thinking about Argent: The Consortium but it looks so really goddamn heavy (but it is a Level99 game that people seem to really like).

I know I am definitely in for a copy of Dinosaur Island and Monikers with the SUSD expansion.

Well, don't let me deter you from Champions of Midguard if it's something you think will be good for you and your group. If you are looking for light worker placement then Midgard might be good especially if you don't mind dice aspect. (I generally don't detest dice but for me there are just not enough mitigation to fail dice roll and the penalty for failing is just far too great in Midgard).

Someone mention Viticulture and that is also pretty good. It has this mechanic where everyone get a one meeple that can go to location that might have already been taken which solve some of the problem regarding worker placement game and being lock out due to turn order. I recently play Carson City, it is a bit heavier game than Midgard and Viticulture but I find it to be very good and after a play or two is very easy and intuitive. It is definitely my current favorite as far as worker placement. (And it has dice) However, the game is expensive and if you play with AP prone people or with high player count the game can be really long.

I am not sure is being critical for the sake of being critical is a good thing. Rodney Smith from Watch it Played is probably my favorite non-review reviewer and I think he said it best if you are going to take time to review or put out content why would you put out negative stuffs. He said each one of his video take almost 12-14 hours to script and film and if he only doing bad games it doesn't in any further the joy of this hobby. He also mention that you also have to keep in mind that the people that are doing these contents generally really into this hobby so it's natural that they are more overly positive. I like Jon Get Games and Slikerdrip and most of the play through like Ricky Royal. I find that is usually best way for me to see if I will like the game is watching someone actually play through or even mock play through. I watch Rahdo but his spitfire commentary sometimes just too much for me especially late at night.

As for as SUSD, take Inis for example, while I think the game is good and they (SUSD) definitely love it, I find that the game big problem is the king maker aspect either by choice or accidental. Last few games I played of Inis just make me feel not wanting to bring it to meet-up. I was constantly ganging up on by the new players especially couple who seems to think that I must be good at the game because it's mine. Some play to help their friends even knowing that the doing so is not to their best interest but they did it because they want to keep me out of winning even when I wasn't even close to having victory objective.

Keasar

Well, don't let me deter you from Champions of Midguard if it's something you think will be good for you and your group. If you are looking for light worker placement then Midgard might be good especially if you don't mind dice aspect. (I generally don't detest dice but for me there are just not enough mitigation to fail dice roll and the penalty for failing is just far too great in Midgard).

Someone mention Viticulture and that is also pretty good. It has this mechanic where everyone get a one meeple that can go to location that might have already been taken which solve some of the problem regarding worker placement game and being lock out due to turn order. I recently play Carson City, it is a bit heavier game than Midgard and Viticulture but I find it to be very good and after a play or two is very easy and intuitive. It is definitely my current favorite as far as worker placement. (And it has dice) However, the game is expensive and if you play with AP prone people or with high player count the game can be really long.

I don't mind dice either but I think I am with you regarding the mitigation. I prefer if you can somehow try and make things work in your favor anyway by paying resources and whatnot, the only mechanic I saw of that in Midgard was the Horn that you can burn to get a re-roll of all your dice.

I decided to get Argent anyway but mostly for the fact that I saw copies were running out and I am a huge fan of everything Level99 Games does. As soon as they announce whatever the hell Seventh Cross is, my money is already in there. :p

Still, taking all the tips I can get.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I am not sure is being critical for the sake of being critical is a good thing. Rodney Smith from Watch it Played is probably my favorite non-review reviewer and I think he said it best if you are going to take time to review or put out content why would you put out negative stuffs. He said each one of his video take almost 12-14 hours to script and film and if he only doing bad games it doesn't in any further the joy of this hobby. He also mention that you also have to keep in mind that the people that are doing these contents generally really into this hobby so it's natural that they are more overly positive. I like Jon Get Games and Slikerdrip and most of the play through like Ricky Royal. I find that is usually best way for me to see if I will like the game is watching someone actually play through or even mock play through. I watch Rahdo but his spitfire commentary sometimes just too much for me especially late at night.

I wouldn't say SUSD is critical just to be critical at all. I'd just say they're more immune to hype trains than most. Not saying their opinions are perfect or anything either. As to the Rodney Smith comment as applied to reviews, I don't think it holds. Critical reviews are useful to prospective buyers and also offer more opportunities for analysis in many cases.

Lyng

I wouldn't say SUSD is critical just to be critical at all. I'd just say they're more immune to hype trains than most. Not saying their opinions are perfect or anything either. As to the Rodney Smith comment as applied to reviews, I don't think it holds. Critical reviews are useful to prospective buyers and also offer more opportunities for analysis in many cases.

They get hyped about very different games then the typical BGG crowd. A social deduction game about a ghost going through a sexual depression would get Quinns hyped as heck I am sure.
The experience is the most important for them, which is perfectly fine btw.

My only issue with Quinns and especially Matt is that they are so inconsistent. Matt in particular (weird hair Matt, not wargame review Matt) will often give criticism for something in a game while at the same time praising the very same thing in a different game. And ofc he often gives his opinion on games he hasnt even played which drives me up the wall.

Paul seems more consistent and he usually doesnt give a finite opinion until he feels he has properly digged through what the game has to offer, which is also why his reviews are the ones on SUSD i enjoy the most.

Iced

While we're on the topic of Scythe (in a way), would anyone like to chime in with their opinions on it? I own it but have yet to bring it to the table. I've read that there are certain strategies you can use that basically ensure victory each time. Has anyone found that to be true? It would seriously turn me off from the game.

Lyng

While we're on the topic of Scythe (in a way), would anyone like to chime in with their opinions on it? I own it but have yet to bring it to the table. I've read that there are certain strategies you can use that basically ensure victory each time. Has anyone found that to be true? It would seriously turn me off from the game.

I own it and have played it many times. The statement is not true. Yes if you only play the game a few times some factions/play style seem really strong but once you get deeper in the game you'll realize it's very balanced. Adapting to your factions special powers and how your player board is setup is key.

r1chard

Agree with Lyng's assessment here.

Also, if you own it and can't quite organise the gang to play it with you I highly recommend the 1-player automa mode. I've played many games of this; it's similar enough to the regular game to learn how things work, but different enough that it doesn't mean you'll totally dominate playing against humans.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, Genoa was basically the perfect pick for our heavy trading game. Thanks again to everyone who recommended it. We had a blast with the deals and planning.

fenners

So, Genoa was basically the perfect pick for our heavy trading game. Thanks again to everyone who recommended it. We had a blast with the deals and planning.

You're welcome ;) Sometimes those old Euros are regarded as classics for real reasons, not just being first/age. ;)

I played Scythe about 7 or 8 times and at various player count including solo and max player and I don't know what certain strategy that will ensure victory. Unless you play with same people all the times, the game change depending on your opponents, their factions and their board configuration. Sometimes sitting next to player that doesn't do Enlist can greatly affect what you do. Playing Scythe also greatly depend on how aggressive the other players are at getting stars. I guess if you play the same people over and over and pick the same faction may be there is strategy you can used to guarantee win. If you can point me to the article where you read this I can get back to you what I think.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I dont even know how this would work unless everyone picked the same faction and action mat every time. I have played around a dozen times now, so I wouldn't really know any dominant strategies yet as I haven't even played all of the combos. New players might think that red is dominant because of its travel options maybe.

zulux21

so looking into gloomhaven after it was brought up in this thread I see it is considered to be a legacy game.

is this because there is a campaign that your characters and choices change things and carry over (if you write them down), but ultimately you can reset just fine.

or does it play more like pandemic legacy where changes are permanent?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
so looking into gloomhaven after it was brought up in this thread I see it is considered to be a legacy game.

is this because there is a campaign that your characters and choices change things and carry over (if you write them down), but ultimately you can reset just fine.

or does it play more like pandemic legacy where changes are permanent?

Changes are permanent. You place stickers on the board, write on it and in the rulebook etc. Although it would be much easier to replay this than Pandemic Legacy I would assume.

zulux21

Changes are permanent. You place stickers on the board, write on it and in the rulebook etc. Although it would be much easier to replay this than Pandemic Legacy I would assume.

ah good to know.

makes the price tag all the more scary then :(

oh well I will keep an eye on it for a while, it sounds like it would be fun but with all the games I have that already don't get enough play I don't know if I want to spend $120 on another game.

Palmer_v1

Went to a local gaming con in nebraska and tried out some new games. My wife hated Santorini, unfortunately, but we also played la Granja: No Siesta(?), and ended up winning it from the play to win pile, which is pretty lucky.

Also played a ton of Werewolf, which I always enjoy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ah good to know.

makes the price tag all the more scary then :(

oh well I will keep an eye on it for a while, it sounds like it would be fun but with all the games I have that already don't get enough play I don't know if I want to spend $120 on another game.

It is certainly worth the price. From our play sessions this campaign could take multiple months if it was the only thing we played. And we play a LOT.

zulux21

It is certainly worth the price. From our play sessions this campaign could take multiple months if it was the only thing we played. And we play a LOT.

see that isn't so much the issue as the thousands of dollars of other games that I could instead be playing that are just collecting dust on the shelf.

I mean it's kind of lose lose for my situation
either I spend $120 on that and we love it and don't play my other games at all. or I spend the money and it collects dust while we play other things.

aka... I need to play my other games more before I think about buying more, but I still am curious about the game lol.

Iced

Played Santorini last night for the first time with my fiancee. We only got one game in, and that game did not involve the god cards as the instructions advise to play without them a couple of times before you move on. I'm gonna have trouble bringing this back to the table, I think. My fiancee was super bored throughout. Most of the time it felt like actions were being performed out of necessity, not out of any sort of strategy - there was usually a move I HAD to do on my turn, otherwise I was going to give the game away. I ended up winning, but it didn't feel earned. It just felt like the game was on a linear path and it just happened to end in my favour.

Does the game change dramatically with the god cards? I'm pretty sure the game existed previously without them, but I can't imagine playing the base game as is without some sort of hook. Unless I'm missing something?

Toma

Played Santorini last night for the first time with my fiancee. We only got one game in, and that game did not involve the god cards as the instructions advise to play without them a couple of times before you move on. I'm gonna have trouble bringing this back to the table, I think. My fiancee was super bored throughout. Most of the time it felt like actions were being performed out of necessity, not out of any sort of strategy - there was usually a move I HAD to do on my turn, otherwise I was going to give the game away. I ended up winning, but it didn't feel earned. It just felt like the game was on a linear path and it just happened to end in my favour.

Does the game change dramatically with the god cards? I'm pretty sure the game existed previously without them, but I can't imagine playing the base game as is without some sort of hook. Unless I'm missing something?

It changes dramatically with the god cards, especially on multiple sessions. I find the base game a bit dry myself as you stick to similar tactics every game. Using the god cards makes it so much more enjoyable though, as you now have way more things to consider. Using your ability to your best advantage while preventing your opponent to do the same is a really interesting puzzle.

Gurrry

Gloomhaven just got delivered. My god. Even after reading impressione and podcasts about it, nothing can prepare you for its utterly massive amount of stuff. If you aren't prepared to be storing as you punch out I don't know how you'd ever be able to find stuff. And I say this as a positive.

Damn, I love games like this. Descent, Imperial Assault, Battlecon... I love opening a box and seeing a shit ton of stuff inside.

I need to look into this game. I imagine its expensive judging by the box and I really need to finish painting the rest of my minis before I start a new project... but depening on how this thing plays, I might need to convince my gf we need this game.

Im still playing the shit out of SW Destiny. Im actually going to a Frenemies event tonight where everyone is building a Hero and Villian deck. Its gonna be so crazy broken, but it will be so much fun.

Im thinking Rey/Grevious, or Leia/Trooper/Trooper. I can obviously only use cards I own, but does anyone else have any ideas? Id love to splash in some yellow somewhere.

chifanpoe

It changes dramatically with the god cards, especially on multiple sessions. I find the base game a bit dry myself as you stick to similar tactics every game. Using the god cards makes it so much more enjoyable though, as you now have way more things to consider. Using your ability to your best advantage while preventing your opponent to do the same is a really interesting puzzle.

Well said, though I also enjoy just the base game. I think it helps if both parties are interested in the game and want to win. My wife and both kids are very competitive, as such we are always fully vested in any vs games we play. But like all things in life not every game is for everybody, two of the bigger games from last year that many people like, I do not enjoy at all (INIS and Cry Havoc).

Keasar

When is the retail release of Gloomhaven? Starting to get very much into it after all the impressions.

I asked before and don't know if anyone perhaps knows this yet, but is there a big difference between what will come in the retail box and what Kickstarter backers got? Like are the stretchgoals exclusive or?

chifanpoe

When is the retail release of Gloomhaven? Starting to get very much into it after all the impressions.

I asked before and don't know if anyone perhaps knows this yet, but is there a big difference between what will come in the retail box and what Kickstarter backers got? Like are the stretchgoals exclusive or?

It was Feb 21. It comes with everything the Miniature Kickstarter does sans a kickstarter note of thanks.

You might be able to get a copy for around $250-350 on BBG or Ebay. There was only 2250 copies that shipped world wide for retail that had over 25,000+ pre-orders. Look for a reprint or another kickstarter some time after Isaac puts up Founders of Gloomhaven in the next few months.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I still haven't actually PLAYED Gloomhaven. I've taken it out of the box and marveled at it...I feel dirty for even considering selling it with what they're going for right now.

I'm waiting to hear more about the actual game, everyone seems to just be going nuts over how big the game is and cool looking components, but very little about how good the game actually is.

chifanpoe

I still haven't actually PLAYED Gloomhaven. I've taken it out of the box and marveled at it...I feel dirty for even considering selling it with what they're going for right now.

I have organized and prepped the game. As well as painted the 4 char we are starting out with but not played the actual campaign yet. Played 3 Solo games to test out how combat works and then did two test games with 3p and 4p with my kids and myself (running two hands). 4p would take too long for kids attention spans.

This next weekend we are going to start the campaign going with 3p.

@BattleMonkey, the actual game play is great! Think Mage Knight light card play. It is very strategic on what to use when and when you should or could rest along with looting items/bodies. Every test play I have done has been very close one way or the other. Fun and Challenging game but fair. It will take some quarterbacking from me to get my 6yo to player Her Tinkerer well. As far as the story and how that is going I have only run the 1st scenario over and over. The road events and city events look interesting as well ( you only start with the first 30 of each to use) It would not surprise me to see Gloomhaven break into the top 10 on BGG once more people play and get into it.

Isaac just posted up some good stuff here: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/62743/designer-diary-gloomhaven-or-trying-fit-full-rpg-w

Keasar

It was Feb 21. It comes with everything the Miniature Kickstarter does sans a kickstarter note of thanks.

You might be able to get a copy for around $250-350 on BBG or Ebay. There was only 2250 copies that shipped world wide for retail that had over 25,000+ pre-orders. Look for a reprint or another kickstarter some time after Isaac puts up Founders of Gloomhaven in the next few months.
Crud. ._.
Guess I'll just have to wait. Have they said that there will be a reprint/Kickstarter? Surely with such a gigantic pre-order amount there as to be.
I'm waiting to hear more about the actual game, everyone seems to just be going nuts over how big the game is and cool looking components, but very little about how good the game actually is.

cifanpoe's impressions sounds great as a start. :)
But while waiting for more, will definitely read up on more and see how it turns out, but I do know that I want a heavy RPG co-op board game. Tons of bits or not, as long as the final price doesn't go to the 1000 dollars as some certain game do, I am intrigued.

Top Bottom