• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thank you both! I'll look into all of those.

I guess what I meant was things that aren't collectible card games like Magic and also things that don't have strong role-playing elements. Catan and Munchkin are the ones I'm most familiar with.

How many players? How deep (easy to learn, medium, hard?)? How long a playtime roughly? Any themes you love/hate?

It's SUCH a broad universe it's almost like saying "hey I'm coming from arcade fighting games and now I wanna play PC games what are some good ones!?" haha ;)

There are lots of lists though. This might be a good one: https://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs...way-boardgames-for-converting-non-gamers.html. I can endorse pretty much all those games, actually Catan being my least favorite.

chifanpoe

Has anyone tried a few Gloomhaven games with 2 players? If I get it, that would be almost my sole target (or 1-player).

Yes I have played it solo (1 and 2 handed) as well as with 2p and 3p. All variants work just fine. Solo 1 player is the hardest but it can be done on the first few missions anyhow. My mind is blown at how well balanced the game is with any of the 6 starting guy. I have not yet unlocked any of the new people so I can not speak of them yet.

EYEL1NER

Last night's game night consisted of the following games: A 2-player game of godless Santorini, a 5-player game of Red Dragon Inn, a 6-player game of Xia, and a 3-player game of King of Tokyo.

The game of Santorini was played while waiting for people to show up. My opponent was really tough and the game last maybe 15 minutes or so. Before it started, I was asked how long it took to play. I said it was quick to explain, quick to set up, and quick to play, and then I told him that I can usually get three or so games played in ten minutes. I guess my competition has just been lousy up to now because it wasn't an easy win. He kept me in my toes throughout.

I thought Red Dragon Inn was pretty fun. I played the female fighter/warrior character. There were a couple harrowing moments early in the game where I was low on funds; gambling actually kicked off in the first person's turned and I lost a good amount of coin while still trying to understand how the gambling sub-phase worked. Eventually I worked out the rules in my head but I was still low on money for a while. I was the first person to knock someone out of the game and that person had the most money by far, so another player and I who didn't have much then got a good amount back. The next time it came around to me I knocked that other player who didn't have much money before out; they used all theirs up with gambling on turns that I was able to get out of and then I forced them into gambling to take their last coin. I eventually won it. It took a bit to figure out, mainly the gambling phase, but it's light and fun, a good filler.

Xia went well. We had to call the game after a couple hours when people started getting tired. I was doing pretty well for myself and I liked the sandbox nature of it. I was doing taxi jobs, ferrying people around, but I had some missiles ready for when someone wanted to pop off at me. I want to play a complete game at some point down the line and may pick it up to own it anyway. It did make me really want to play Firefly though.

King of Tokyo is King of Tokyo, I don't need to say anything about that other than I haven't decided recently that I dislike it or anything. It's still a fun game.

That took us to midnight, so yet again we couldn't get any BattleCON in. Maybe next week though. No Super Motherload either, though one person did seem interested in it (the others didn't really, which sucked).
The end of the night was a real bummer when I got home and it was raining. There were no open parking spaces anywhere near my apartment building so I had to park elsewhere in the complex and walk a good distance. The boxes for Codenames, BattleCON, and Super Motherload were okay with a few raindrops hitting them. Santorini looked to be in rough shape when I got upstairs though. There were standing water spots on the box, so I took my shirt off and dabbed it all up without scrubbing at it. The box had spots all over the top though where the cardboard slightly bubbled up a bit. I took the cover off and applied pressure to the spots with my shirt while applying pressure against the inside and then let it sit out for a while. The bubbles didn't seem like they would go away though, which upset me a good deal (I got really heated about the parking lot situation and went and asked the apartment managers if they had ever thought of assigned parking spaces for each apartment, there are enough for each apartment number to have a numbered space in the front row with open free-for-all parking elsewhere. I was like "It's gonna rain all spring and I've got a baby that I can't be carrying all across the apartment complex because someone stores their motorcycle trailer full-time in a space while the bike itself is stored in his garage, and so on..."). I checked the box an hour or so ago though and the bubbles have gone down and are not really visible anymore. There is a rough texture now if you slide your fingers over the affected area. I mean, I don't ever plan to sell it or trade it; I love it. And because I love it, I would prefer it stay in great condition.

I don't have a tracking number yet but Fugitive has begun shipping to people. I just looked up the rulebook for Paperback, which I am receiving as an add-on. Man, that game seems great. And it just looks so pleasant and quaint. I haven't tried to introduce a deckbuilding game to my wife yet, so I don't know how easily she'll grasp deckbuilding mechanics. Her favorite of any board game is Scrabble though, so I am hoping she digs it. I am eager to play it.

Keasar

I still have memories of my 7 player Twilight Imperium game that took 10-11 hours.

Was a fucking great marathon that I won by 1 point!

Got a copy of Myth unpunched for 50 bucks. Downloaded the 2.0 rules and am going to give it a go.

It's a ghost town over on Reddit with your Blackwall Warrens and Shores of Kanis question, and even BGG is pretty bare. Looking over at the Megacon Games community forums, it's mostly just gameplay questions and not much in the way of reviews either. Surprising considering some people did receive their kickstarted copies shipped to them.

I still haven't got my copies yet. I kickstarted it and am waiting for everything to be delivered instead of paying for it in waves -- *sigh* and here I'm looking at fall 2017. Ah well, plenty of other stuff to play. I'm even waiting on all the rest of the 2.0 stuff before diving head first into a campaign with friends.

Experien

Xia went well. We had to call the game after a couple hours when people started getting tired. I was doing pretty well for myself and I liked the sandbox nature of it. I was doing taxi jobs, ferrying people around, but I had some missiles ready for when someone wanted to pop off at me. I want to play a complete game at some point down the line and may pick it up to own it anyway. It did make me really want to play Firefly though.

But it is only a 5 player game! Did that once, don't know if I'd ever want to do that again.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's a ghost town over on Reddit with your Blackwall Warrens and Shores of Kanis question, and even BGG is pretty bare. Looking over at the Megacon Games community forums, it's mostly just gameplay questions and not much in the way of reviews either. Surprising considering some people did receive their kickstarted copies shipped to them.

I still haven't got my copies yet. I kickstarted it and am waiting for everything to be delivered instead of paying for it in waves -- *sigh* and here I'm looking at fall 2017. Ah well, plenty of other stuff to play. I'm even waiting on all the rest of the 2.0 stuff before diving head first into a campaign with friends.

Yea it is pretty strange. I messed around with it solo using a couple characters and it is a very interesting game. I ended up liking the characters I tried and the realm tile setup stuff is fun. Placing a new tile and going further and further reminds me of doing rifts in Diablo or something lol.

My friend I play games with all the time bought a Switch and Zelda, so I guess I'll play Mage Knight solitaire and the Patchwork app tonight.. *grumble grumble*

Just started playing a bunch of Codex recently- game is damn good. Feels like a more interesting non-collectible MTG.

Awesome. I've been wanting to check Codex out.

That sucks. Just going to have to fly solo for the next two days.

Pretty much. It isn't all bad though, it is one of my best friend's birthdays next week and I picked her up a copy of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective/Jack the Ripper standalone thing. So I have that to look forward to :)

Lupercal

Banned
Played some more Doom last night but we played with 4.
I still think 2 players (or 2 marines) is the best way to play it.

Some unlucky initiative on our part and the Invader got 3 frags in one round.
Sure with 2 you have less initiative but the 2 actions per turn really do help a lot.

There's a new board game lounge open in Portland (Oregon) by couple of guys in our MeetUp group so we went to their cold open last night. Nice place with a lot of cute board game related decorations and board game theme menu. It's Game Knight Lounge on N. Williams Ave. so check them out if you are in PDX area.

Anyway, we played Blood Rage which I haven't play in a long time and I didn't realize that the random card draw was a thing to do to teach new players. It actually is pretty good way to prevent experience player from running away with good combo during drafting and cut down a lot of game time. Of course the draw back is that there is a lot of randomness and you could get handed a really good set of cards. I went to check BGG and you can also do open drafting using Small World mechanic which is also interesting though it removed the mystery of who had what cards but allow for good way to teach new players what card would be good to draft.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played some more Doom last night but we played with 4.
I still think 2 players (or 2 marines) is the best way to play it.

Some unlucky initiative on our part and the Invader got 3 frags in one round.
Sure with 2 you have less initiative but the 2 actions per turn really do help a lot.

This game is kind of under the radar I feel for how good it is. I agree that it may be best at 3 players. that way the demon is powerful, but so are the 2 marines in play. We have so many games coming in now but I would never refuse to play this one.

Has anyone tried a few Gloomhaven games with 2 players? If I get it, that would be almost my sole target (or 1-player).

I am currently playing it as 2-player. It is probably better with more but I just can't get a group together to do this consistently. The game can be play solo and probably work OK but it is really meant to play as 2 or more because of the hidden information aspect.

Backed kings road on Kickstarter because grail games do good productions and it is cheap.

Anyone actually played Imperium? Those two reasons may not seem like good reasons come tomorrow.

Lupercal

Banned
Backed The Terminator game on KS.
Loved the Evil Dead one and this one looks even more unique in terms of gameplay.
Especially the 1984 board.

MZoon

Neo Member
Thank you both! I'll look into all of those.

I guess what I meant was things that aren't collectible card games like Magic and also things that don't have strong role-playing elements. Catan and Munchkin are the ones I'm most familiar with.
I'm a relatively new and only into light/medium games, these games have an amazing replay value and are just so fun and addicting:
  • 7 Wonders: A civilization building game that is so satisfying for something that plays in 40~ minutes, simultaneous turns and no player elimination means all players are engaged throughout the game. It plays 3-7 players very well too. A must unless your group is really casual (Parents, non gamers, children...etc).
  • The Resistance: Avalon: Fantasy themed social deduction game that is considered to be the best of its kind. IMO you need a social deduction game if your group has 6+ players.
  • Coup: Lovely short bluffing game. Can be both tense and funny.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Some of MoM painted minis. Just started painting minis last year. Really enjoy it.

3j8BaJc.jpg

uiaCEfR.jpg

JSR_Cube

Nice paint job!

We tried Assault of the Giants last night. It has some interesting mechanics and my group enjoyed it quite a lot. The rulebook is a bit of a mess with lots of text but we figured it out in the end. We played a 6 player game and it is nice to have a new 6 player area control game. Anyway, area control fans should check it out.

XShagrath

Some of MoM painted minis. Just started painting minis last year. Really enjoy it.
Good stuff! I started painting last year too (with MoM being my first batch). I still need to finish them up. I just picked up an airbrush, so I'm excited to try that out once work dies down a little bit.

Played some more Mombasa yesterday and it's a fantastic game. The two players game is already quite tense, I just cannot imagine playing this with four. Pfister is on a roll.

And I just received my kickstarter copy of Anachrony. Wow, insanely huge box, beautiful components, I cannot wait to try it (very soon hopefully).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nice paint job!

We tried Assault of the Giants last night. It has some interesting mechanics and my group enjoyed it quite a lot. The rulebook is a bit of a mess with lots of text but we figured it out in the end. We played a 6 player game and it is nice to have a new 6 player area control game. Anyway, area control fans should check it out.

Those look great, nicely done!

Good stuff! I started painting last year too (with MoM being my first batch). I still need to finish them up. I just picked up an airbrush, so I'm excited to try that out once work dies down a little bit.

Thanks. I have a ton of stuff I need to varnish, just waiting for it to warm up.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have another trip with my boardgame group coming up (1 week Hiddensee). We have a good selection of bigger games, but are there any social/smaller game recommendations you guys have for 8 people?

Codenames, Werewolf, Escape from the Aliens, Dixit are some of our staples in that regard.

I'll also prepare a round of Jeopardy for that occasion. Those usually go over VERY well with our boardgame group, I highly recommend trying that for your group once. (I dont use the "answer as question"- thing though, just normal quiz questions with the point setup).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The resistance and spyfall seem like obvious choices.
Perhaps also monikers.

Spyfall and a self made version of something similar to Monikers is always in our travel bag as well. An other suggestions? :)

Spyfall and a self made version of something similar to Monikers is always in our travel bag as well. An other suggestions? :)

If spyfall is in the bag, a fake artist goes to new york might be worth a look (drawing spyfall)

Two Rooms And A Boom, with some careful role selection or as an option to werewolf if more people rock up.

For light games, Incan gold always goes down well and I haven't played camel up with 8 but it would probably work in the right group.

Toma

If spyfall is in the bag, a fake artist goes to new york might be worth a look (drawing spyfall)

Two Rooms And A Boom, with some careful role selection or as an option to werewolf if more people rock up.

For light games, Incan gold always goes down well and I haven't played camel up with 8 but it would probably work in the right group.

I'll definitely try the fake artist idea, thanks. Rooms/Booms worked a lot better for us in bigger groups (12+), so I might skip that this time.

I am also looking for ideas people just use with pens/papers actually. The age old "I guess I am..." game got a revival in our group recently. Write a random character/person on a piece of paper, stick it to someones forehead and you can ask yes/no questions about who you are. If the answer is no, its the next persons turn. Always leads to hilarious situations.

Lyng

Yeah Camel up is great crazy fun with that amount of players :)

fenners

BTW I know a few of us here have talked up Food Chain Magnate - it's CSI's deal of the day at $79.99 if anyone's been holding out for a more marginally affordable price...

Blizzard

Banned
First world problem: When your new board game is maybe 1.5 hour's drive away according to the FedEx tracker, but isn't scheduled to be delivered until 2 days from now.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I have to say, the kinda... garish? colors turned me off to it a bit. It's still an interesting theme, but I'd wait until I demo'd it, or had some reviews from people I know.

There's just so many games to play as it is. Do you worry at all that board gaming becoming more mainstream will also lead to more games to compete with?

I do, and I don't.

I think a lot of games coming out are not well tested, and have bad graphic design. We're basically going to do what we can to make sure our games stand out, both with graphic design, theme and production quality.

Most of our games also spend about 12-18 months in development. So by the time one comes out, we have playtested the hell out of it. Dino Island so much so that we were up until 3 weeks ago going through and buffing and nerfing various chits in ways so small I doubt 99% of players would ever notice the difference, but we wanted to make sure nothing was too obvious a choice at all times or always a choice you would ignore.

Like, down to % of time and at what price various items were purchased at and how often they were then used throughout the game.

I think like any boom industry, you have to just double down to set yourself apart as much as possible. It means our up front costs have gone up on our games in the last 9 months, but I think we've got two really big stars for this year in Wasteland and Dino Island... and a few smaller games that I think will do very well too.

I just want to make sure we don't turn into one of "those" companies that churns out games or trys to "me too" whatever the latest fad is.

EYEL1NER

After trying Xia, I've now got a copy of Merchants and Marauders plus the expansion on the way. I'm also debating getting Fury of Dracula 3E right now. I've got my eye on a copy at $51 before tax but I think I'll post on my gaming group's FB page and see who all would be interested in playing it.

Tonight was fun, although we didn't play anything new.

We played a couple of games of Inis which were great, the first game was super tight and ended with only 4 revealed territories. The second game went for 90 minutes and was very stressful and intense. We were all maneuvering between 2 victory conditions each, I ended up winning that one. It was very satisfying and very fun.

We played a bunch of Legendary again too, we badly need expansions because we smashed through the hardest content in the vanilla set without any trouble at all.

XShagrath

Got a chance to play a couple games this weekend as well.

Gloomhaven - Did a two player runthrough of the first scenario. While the game is very simple mechanically, the way the cards work made a lot of the decisions very tough. Most other dungeon-crawlers I've played have all had relatively easy decisions of just move/attack with very little variety, and this one was much more intense. I really enjoyed it for that aspect. We thought you were supposed to use the round timer for every scenario and felt the game was impossible in just 12 rounds. We got to about round 10 before getting to the third room and ended up burning some of our "lost" cards to try and push as far as we could, knowing we would ultimately lose. Once we finished, my friend looked up the rules again, and found out we weren't supposed to count rounds unless specifically instructed to, so we kept playing and finished the scenario. Things probably would have played out slightly differently if we hadn't burned those cards though.

Really looking forward to playing another scenario or two this weekend.

Roll for the Galaxy - This was the second time I've played this, and I quite like it. I feel the game plays a lot better than Race. I've lost both of my games, but had a good time anyways.

We played side scenario for Gloomhaven last night and it was really interesting and feel very RPG to be able to go off and do side quest. I was worry that it might be too difficult for our newbie party but the game scale nicely. We had a lot of fun and my daughter can't wait for us to tackle the next one.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Rising Sun KS from CMON goes live in a couple hours. I wonder if it will be realatively modest likeBlood Rage orarethey going togo nuts with a ton of extra shit like Massive Darkness. I would think they wouldn't because tacking on stuff is much easier i think for coop dungeon crawlers.

chifanpoe

Just got back from Miniature Market on my lunch break. I found a copy of Shadowrun Crossfire for $28 and Dungeon Petz for $30 in the ding/dent section. I think Dungeon Petz will make a great birthday present for my oldest daughter.

Shadowrun Crossfire has 1 expansion (High Caliber Ops) with extra missions / black market, has anyone played it and is it worth it? Radho and Zee Garcia seems to like it and the base game a lot.

Also found this early for Rising Sun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=858cYONO4fQ

Looks like it will be heavier than Blood Rage. Diplomacy is very cool but a little bit beyond my two kids to bring to the table.

Vard

Just got back from Miniature Market on my lunch break. I found a copy of Shadowrun Crossfire for $28 and Dungeon Petz for $30 in the ding/dent section. I think Dungeon Petz will make a great birthday present for my oldest daughter.

Shadowrun Crossfire has 1 expansion (High Caliber Ops) with extra missions / black market, has anyone played it and is it worth it? Radho and Zee Garcia seems to like it and the base game a lot.

You don't need to rush out and get the Shadowrun expansion since the base game already has a lot of replay value, in my opinion. There are also some free missions available on their site in PDF form too.

Top Bottom