• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
woohoo!! got my Day 1 Destiny Worlds ticket!!!!!!

guys on reddit are saying everything was sold out in less than a minute. Thank god. Someone had said they selected a ticket and the next page that came up said it was unavailable. I am guessing Day 2 (Friday) went first, which is why I went with Thursday.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
woohoo!! got my Day 1 Destiny Worlds ticket!!!!!!

guys on reddit are saying everything was sold out in less than a minute. Thank god. Someone had said they selected a ticket and the next page that came up said it was unavailable. I am guessing Day 2 (Friday) went first, which is why I went with Thursday.

I'm going Day 2, I think. If you wanna do some play tests on TTS leading up, lemme know

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dang jelllllly...but I'm planning on going to BGG.Con this year so can't quite fit in another board-game trip. :p

look forward to seeing how you guys do! flashbacks to NR Worlds a couple years ago...man that was serious business. i did get to play next to Quinns though (so I must have barely missed being paired up with him -- damn it!) and he had me choose a card for a random discard so that was my highlight :D

I'm pretty sure at least one of you guys is living in Japan currently.

Well, I'm about to visit next week. I was hoping you could give me some tips in finding board games, or board game stores. I didn't get into board games until after I left Japan and came home, and I don't remember seeing anything like that before, though I wasn't looking..

Thanks!

Well, I'm about to visit next week. I was hoping you could give me some tips in finding board games, or board game stores. I didn't get into board games until after I left Japan and came home, and I don't remember seeing anything like that before, though I wasn't looking..

Thanks!

I'm actually flying to Japan for a wedding, leaving tomorrow. I lived there for 8 years but didn't get into board games until about a year and a half ago. When I visited family there last year, I stopped by a couple of board game stores in Akihabara:

Yellow Submarine
Roll & Role Station
one floor in Yodobashi Camera has a lot of board games

Here are some resources that may help:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...ll=35.701088999999996,139.77125290000004&z=15 (map of board game shops in Tokyo)
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/66/boardgamegeek/japan (lots of info you'd want in a couple different threads here)

Thanks!

I've been there for the last two winter tokyo game markets. Where are you going exactly? Assuming you are going to Tokyo:

- Go to Roll & Role and Yellow Submarine in Akihabara
- Go to Yellow submarine in Shinjuku
- Check the big chain stores like Yodobashi, they don't carry as much stuff but they offer the promotion to not pay tax if you buy over 10k yen of products so they can be cheaper than the specialty shops.

Hah... sad but true. It's gonna make billions

Absolutely, sounds like a hit.

I just enjoy innovative games. I usually buy games because they are quirky or offer something unique even if they are not that great. Last time I was in japan I picked up a game about killing zombies with snowballs that roll down a hill. It's a mix of simultaneous selection, dexterity and a refreshing art style. I enjoy heavy euros and amerigames too, but that sounds so derivative.

S__23814150.jpg

(Not my pic)

AMUSIX

What do you all feel about boardgame sequels?

The concept alone still feels very alien to me I mean, growing up, there really wasn't a "Risk 2" or "Sorry: Infinite" (or, if there were, they were largely ignorable).
Now it seems that if a game gets enough attention, there's invariably a 'sequel'...and so often, that sequel makes the original practically obsolete. Sushi Go Party did this, as did Resistance Avalon and, in my opinion, Zombicide: Black Plague. Then there are times when the sequel is just 'more' (Spyfall 2, Red Dragon Inn, etc).

The 'more' practice I sort of get, since they usually add to the game. Pretty much just stand-alone expansions, I suppose. The problem I have is with the ones that make the original obsolete. It sets up the potential for someone feeling like they spent money on an inferior product. Or it sometimes feels like the original wasn't cooked long enough, especially when the 'sequel' comes out within a year.

I'm actually flying to Japan for a wedding, leaving tomorrow. I lived there for 8 years but didn't get into board games until about a year and a half ago. When I visited family there last year, I stopped by a couple of board game stores in Akihabara:

Yellow Submarine
Roll & Role Station
one floor in Yodobashi Camera has a lot of board games

Here are some resources that may help:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...ll=35.701088999999996,139.77125290000004&z=15 (map of board game shops in Tokyo)
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/66/boardgamegeek/japan (lots of info you'd want in a couple different threads here)

I've been there for the last two winter tokyo game markets. Where are you going exactly? Assuming you are going to Tokyo:

- Go to Roll & Role and Yellow Submarine in Akihabara
- Go to Yellow submarine in Shinjuku
- Check the big chain stores like Yodobashi, they don't carry as much stuff but they offer the promotion to not pay tax if you buy over 10k yen of products so they can be cheaper than the specialty shops.

Absolutely, sounds like a hit.

I just enjoy innovative games. I usually buy games because they are quirky or offer something unique even if they are not that great. Last time I was in japan I picked up a game about killing zombies with snowballs that roll down a hill. It's a mix of simultaneous selection, dexterity and a refreshing art style. I enjoy heavy euros and amerigames too, but that sounds so derivative.

S__23814150.jpg

(Not my pic)

Sweet! Well, my destination is Nagoya, but I'm flying into Narita, then taking the train from there. I've never stayed at a hotel in Japan before, but I feel like it might be a good idea to get a room for one night to keep my luggage and taking the train the next day.

How close is Narita airport to the stores you both mention and do you have any suggestions for hotels? Thanks!

Sweet! Well, my destination is Nagoya, but I'm flying into Narita, then taking the train from there. I've never stayed at a hotel in Japan before, but I feel like it might be a good idea to get a room for one night to keep my luggage and taking the train the next day.

How close is Narita airport to the stores you both mention and do you have any suggestions for hotels? Thanks!

All the stores I mentioned are in Akihabara, which is a part of Tokyo. It's roughly an hour away from Narita Airport.

If you're going to Nagoya, a place called Gamestore Banesto seems to be a good shop to check out: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/113262/shops-nagoya

Hotel wise, you have tons of choices in Japan. Hostels and business hotels (basically a western style hotel for travelers on business, but more increasingly vacations as well), and traditional Japanese inns. I'd avoid the APA hotel chain, the president of the hotel company or books in every room that deny the Rape of Nanjing: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ngers-china-over-book-denial-nanjing-massacre

I visited Nagoya once for a weekend but stayed at a friend's. I really enjoyed the modern art museum there.

There's a Japan travel OT with lots of helpful info as well: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=539079

EYEL1NER

Tonight was an okay night. We played a 5p game of Scythe, my third time playing. I came in second place and was happy with my position and playing compared to the last game I played where I kind of floundered about not really getting anything done for the first half. Then we played Tokaido, which was very nice. I've looked at Tokaido multiple times but every time I see the board my brain just goes "What the hell is that? What am I supposed to do with that?" It made a lot of sense after having it explained to me though and it wound up being a lot of fun. I now want to pick up a Deluxe version for myself.

Recieved 5 minute dungeon from kickstarter and played three games with the kids.

The youngest "got it", but the game is too hectic for her to really get into it. We only really had luck when I was the wizard and could stop time to catch her up.

The eldest loved it though (9) and I think it is a very well put together real time game. You really do feel the blood pumping after and the production values are top class (and delivered way ahead of schedule).

A win. If you like games such as fuse or escape it is well worth checking out.

Mikeside

Recieved 5 minute dungeon from kickstarter and played three games with the kids.

The youngest "got it", but the game is too hectic for her to really get into it. We only really had luck when I was the wizard and could stop time to catch her up.

The eldest loved it though (9) and I think it is a very well put together real time game. You really do feel the blood pumping after and the production values are top class (and delivered way ahead of schedule).

A win. If you like games such as fuse or escape it is well worth checking out.

can't wait to get my copy - I can't believe it's being delivered so early!
first Kickstarter I've backed that hasn't been late!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I liked 5 minute dungeon but me and my co-workers beat all the bosses over 2 lunch breaks. After that we were like well we beat the game lol.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Having to retire a merc in gloomhaven is a sad day. Then, that day is immediately made happy again when I unlocked a new class to play. This game 2gud.

Lupercal

Banned
Going to dust off Game of Thrones (second edition) today and bring it to the table again.
I bought this game when I just starting watching the show but nobody from my group knew it so playing it didn't click with them.

Now they're all hooked so the theme is strong, we even picked houses beforehand and shall be playing in character.

Greyjoys shall get their revenge tonight!

I found a copy of Russian Railroads on clearance at local game store last week. I always want to try it since the Secret Cabal guys always raving about it but never see the game available. I was hoping I could get it to the table with 3-4 player as the solo mode was pretty fun.

Found a copy of Smash Up with the Monster Smash expansion at our local goodwill for $5. Worth a try at that price. I've got Blood Bowl Team Manager and love it to bits, but hear Smash Up is similar, but not nearly as good. Figured the kids would like it when they're older.

They also had Killer Bunnies for $4, but from what I hear, me passing on it was a good idea.

I've heard stories of people finding games at goodwill, but in a town of 60,000 people, had little hope of myself having any luck.

fenners

Found a copy of Smash Up with the Monster Smash expansion at our local goodwill for $5. Worth a try at that price. I've got Blood Bowl Team Manager and love it to bits, but hear Smash Up is similar, but not nearly as good. Figured the kids would like it when they're older.

They also had Killer Bunnies for $4, but from what I hear, me passing on it was a good idea.

My 10 year old daughter adores Smash Up for the art & card details, but it just bores me as a game. It's too long, too take that, too long for what it is. If it played in 30-45 minutes at most, I'd be more willing to put up with it. We play with a common variant of fewer bases in play than the rules say (we do 2 for the two of us) & that helps, but doesn't solve all its issues.

Killer Bunnies is one of the games that got me into this hobby. You did well to skip it. It's a big giant fake of a game - here's all these cards that build cool combos. Program your two moves. Yeah, this is a game of skill with take that, sure! Oh wait, winning? That's a giant lottery.

Ugh.

I've heard stories of people finding games at goodwill, but in a town of 60,000 people, had little hope of myself having any luck.

Smash Up is decent, but its no Blood Bowl. That game is something special! My family does like Smash Up though. There is never any grand strategy or min/maxxing with teams. It's just random silliness that drives our choices.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Smash Up is decent, but its no Blood Bowl. That game is something special! My family does like Smash Up though. There is never any grand strategy or min/maxxing with teams. It's just random silliness that drives our choices.

Interesting -- I never thought to compare the two but I guess they are sort of similar in that Smash Up is like a super-basic version of BB:TM, but yeah I agree -- Smash Up is definitely something that can work with casuals so worth considering in that sense (not my fav gateway game though as I think it's kind of kludgy), but BB:TM is probably still in my top 20 games ever though I don't get to play it as much anymore.

daevv

Hi, I know some of you are Talisman fans and I asked this question on reddit but would like to know Talisman GAF's opinion.

Wondering what two corner expansions for Talisman work well together when only using those two and Reaper. I have a chance to buy any two of the four corner expansions soon and I'm trying to figure out which ones to get.

etrain911

I know this is a very broad question but does anyone have any recommendations for 2-player board games? I own Love Letter, Sushi Go, Smash Up, and Citadels, and I'm looking to have more games that play well on dates and things.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know this is a very broad question but does anyone have any recommendations for 2-player board games? I own Love Letter, Sushi Go, Smash Up, and Citadels, and I'm looking to have more games that play well on dates and things.

For casual nights where we might play games (say at a coffee shop or something), wife and I have been playing Lost Cities, Battle Line, Hanabi, Patchwork, and (slightly more complicated) Innovation.

EYEL1NER

Jaipur. After owning it forever, my wife and I played it for the first time recently and I fully agree with all of the praise for it being a great 2p/couples game.

Top Bottom