• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

ultron87

It isn't a quick side activity game like a lot of the other suggestions, but I really like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective as a two player game to play as a chunk of an evening. Really fun cooperative mystery solving.

At this point you probably would want to buy the stand alone expansion, "Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures" first, since a new reprint of the main game in that same style is coming soonish that shouldn't have the translation issues the current version has.

Does anyone have this edition of Blokus?

...this is a silly question, but how do you get it back in the box? The board doesn't seem to fit right unless you put it upside down. And even then it's a snug fit. There doesn't appear to be a way to put it back in the same way it was packaged, due to the decorative plastic insert thing in the middle getting in the way since it's sunk down a bit.

joelseph

I know this is a very broad question but does anyone have any recommendations for 2-player board games? I own Love Letter, Sushi Go, Smash Up, and Citadels, and I'm looking to have more games that play well on dates and things.

Schotten Totten if I'm not mistaken it is an update to Battleline with added special powers. It recently got reprinted on iEllo for cheap. I think CSI has it for 10 bucks.

Hi, I know some of you are Talisman fans and I asked this question on reddit but would like to know Talisman GAF's opinion.

Wondering what two corner expansions for Talisman work well together when only using those two and Reaper. I have a chance to buy any two of the four corner expansions soon and I'm trying to figure out which ones to get.

I would say Dungeon and City. There was a print on demand expansion called The Deep Realms that connects the two of them. Apparently you cannot get it anymore because the $15 expansion is seling for $80-90 now!

I own it and it's a great addition that adds loads of character to both corners.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/14/the-deep-realms/

Taborcarn

The new edition of Martin Wallace's Brass is going up on Kickstarter on April 17th.

I just learned the game online and am enjoying it, but normally that might not be enough to get me to back something. This new version is being done by Roxley who recently put out Santorini and are becoming known for their high production values. Here's a teaser image they put out of the new cover:

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4a585943434f432e6a7067

Also the original is being rebranded as Brass: Lancashire and there will be a new standalone expansion called Brass: Birmingham that's also part of the kickstarter and will be available simultaneously.

emag

Food Chain Magnate is the real deal. We played a four player game to first bank breakage ($300) with all new players in just over two hours, including rules explanation (and playing with all game elements apart from the bank restock) but not counting the time to put out all the cards (which is significant). The included player aids ("menus") are of tremendous benefit to both learning game flow and understanding possible player actions/hires/upgrades.

As it was our first play, there wasn't much player interaction beyond grabbing milestones and a little bit of marketing/demand screwage. I expect more in the way of price warfare our next game. I'm also curious as to how viable it really is to obtain multiple high-level upgrades before the game ends.

I think we all enjoyed the game, although there were quite a few negative comments about the quality of board tiles in view of the game's price point.

fenners

Food Chain Magnate is the real deal. We played a four player game to first bank breakage ($300) with all new players in just over two hours, including rules explanation (and playing with all game elements apart from the bank restock) but not counting the time to put out all the cards (which is significant). The included player aids ("menus") are of tremendous benefit to both learning game flow and understanding possible player actions/hires/upgrades.

As it was our first play, there wasn't much player interaction beyond grabbing milestones and a little bit of marketing/demand screwage. I expect more in the way of price warfare our next game. I'm also curious as to how viable it really is to obtain multiple high-level upgrades before the game ends.

It's utterly viable. Those marketing/training goals can be critical. The rich often get richer. Price wars are a great way to upset those who are rich already.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I think we all enjoyed the game, although there were quite a few negative comments about the quality of board tiles in view of the game's price point.

Trust me when I say it will only get better. Much better. Especially if your players become adept at the game. Very few games, video or board, comr close to the intensity in a 4 player deadlock in FCM.

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀

FCM is the real deal, super good. Shit gets intense when someone pulls a crazy move and basically breaks the bank in a single sale.

Blizzard

Banned
For anyone playing Gloomhaven, don't forget this errata that's not in the rules:

"Every time an individual player retires a character, that player gains one extra perk to apply to all future characters they create. This effect is cumulative, so when a player retires their second character, their next character would gain two additional perks. Though this effect is applied to players, if one player is controlling multiple characters at once in a campaign (like for solo play, for instance), they should consider each "hand" they control a different player for this bonus."

Karkador

Banned

I think the game's price point is more so because Splotter is pretty niche even within the niche of board games. A niche within a niche. I do think they should have included the extras (the card holder and the dry erase milestone boards) in the box.

As for the art, I do think a lot of the game's graphic design comes together very well, and is rather consistent in it's flat/retro/muted design. The tiles look pretty dull when you first see them, but they're meant to be "blank".

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think the game's price point is more so because Splotter is pretty niche even within the niche of board games. A niche within a niche. I do think they should have included the extras (the card holder and the dry erase milestone boards) in the box.

As for the art, I do think a lot of the game's graphic design comes together very well, and is rather consistent in it's flat/retro/muted design. The tiles look pretty dull when you first see them, but they're meant to be "blank".

Yea once a full game is played the board is almost completely covered.

I just bought a shit ton of Japanese board games last night, though I'm going to the other shops today.
Anyone know about the game Poison? I liked the art on the front, but couldn't tell what the game was about so didn't get it.

Also, is the zombie tower game actually any good after the novelty wears off? They had it at yodabashi but I decided against it.

EYEL1NER

Also, is the zombie tower game actually any good after the novelty wears off? They had it at yodabashi but I decided against it.
I've played it only a few times and can't answer if the novelty wears off after more than that but I've enjoyed it the times I've played it and keep trying to get it onto the table. The group I've been playing with weekly keeps drawing five people though, so it playing four max has kept it from getting played. I don't imagine I'll grow tired of it anytime soon, I really like its nature of it being a puzzle to solve, working out how many moves in a direction you need to make to draw zombies a certain way and such. I don't know what the game's MSRP is but I think it's probably a solid $30 game for sure and that it is still a good game to try at a slightly higher price than that.

I just bought a shit ton of Japanese board games last night, though I'm going to the other shops today.
Anyone know about the game Poison? I liked the art on the front, but couldn't tell what the game was about so didn't get it.

Poison is a knizia game. Check bgg. Haven't played zombie tower myself.

I'd recommend getting deep sea adventure, pyramid's deadline, a fake artist goes to new york, Tokyo Highway, Garden eel go!, Father mole looks for the treasure, vampire radar, yokohama, minerva, and the japanese version of circus flohcati.

Post a pic of your haul!

I'm in Japan right now as well. Picked up a few Oink games that I didn't get last time: Deep Sea Adventure, Pyramid Deadline, and Insider. Also got a copy of Modern Art, which was previously hard to find, and Vampire Radar. I saw Minerva, but passed since I have way too many new games waiting for me at home. Also passed on Yukidama Zombie, seemed too pricey for me though it looked really nice. I also bought a small dice tower to use for DND.

I tried to look for Coffee Roaster, but one of the staff at Yellow Submarine told me it's out of print and they had no more copies left.

daevv

I would say Dungeon and City. There was a print on demand expansion called The Deep Realms that connects the two of them. Apparently you cannot get it anymore because the $15 expansion is seling for $80-90 now!

I own it and it's a great addition that adds loads of character to both corners.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/14/the-deep-realms/

Thanks! Those print on demand ones are crazy expensive. I'm getting two corner expansions for the price of one mini one. Perhaps when the Games Workshop 5th edition comes out the prices will drop. Although I doubt they can improve on the great FFG version, unless it's the minis.

chifanpoe

Woo, got the expansion for Millennium Blades, have to say the Set Rotation box is really fancy. Slip cover and then the box is black with silver foil text and icons.

I saw that Miniature Market had the base game and Set Rotation both in stock. I had $17 of in-store credit so I pulled the trigger. Did you end up putting everything into the base box? I found on BGG printouts for dividers to do such along with a few ideas on how to put everything into the base box with sleeves. The OCD in me wants to go to LV99 and buy the extra promo packs but with the base and set rotation there are damn near 1300 cards already, so I held off.(or it will end up just like my few hundred Pixel Tactics cards I have never used yet)

Lupercal

Banned
I would love the play Food Chain Magnate but the high price is holding me back.
Is there just that much content in the game?
100€ is so steel :/.

Phthisis

High Frontier 3E showed up! Finally! So excited to get it on the table this weekend. Game weighs 12 lbs and comes with four rule/reference books (two of which are 60+ pages). Have a project on my hands.

Deadstar

I know this is a very broad question but does anyone have any recommendations for 2-player board games? I own Love Letter, Sushi Go, Smash Up, and Citadels, and I'm looking to have more games that play well on dates and things.

Forbidden Island. It's a coop game where you try to grab treasure and escape off a sinking island.

Poison is a knizia game. Check bgg. Haven't played zombie tower myself.

I'd recommend getting deep sea adventure, pyramid's deadline, a fake artist goes to new york, Tokyo Highway, Garden eel go!, Father mole looks for the treasure, vampire radar, yokohama, minerva, and the japanese version of circus flohcati.

Post a pic of your haul!

Here she is.

2l7iea6.jpg

So when I was buying games, I first focused on trying to find games that were Japanese in origin or artwork.. not just something I could get from a store in the US. From there, I considered how playable these games would be from an English or universal perspective.. And actually, all of these games (minus whatever those Godzilla things are (no idea what they are.. they were both 200yen a piece, new. They appear to be card games of some kind.. no idea. They appeal to me though, so I figure it's a fine gamble), either have an English description included on the back, say 'English Instructions Included', or show images of cards without text on them, so they ought to be universally playable.

I didn't realize till now that the Shephy game is a single player game, I might not have gotten that otherwise. There's also a dungeon one that I wish I picked up when I saw it, made by the same company, that looks like the Gun Fi game but is about dungeons. Hoping to see that at the Banesto store in Nagoya when I get around to going there.

I really love the look of this Kirby game. The artwork is super bright, colorful, and mirrors the art in the SNES/GBA games.

edit: Are the rest of the Oink games worth a look? I already have Deep Sea Adventure. What about Nine Tiles, Masked Men, In a Grove, or the rest? Haven't seen the Eel or Mole games. Vampire Radar is high on my list, but haven't seen it yet. Also want to get 'Everyone Must Get Out' or whatever it's called. .. Oh, and that Zombie Snowman game for sure, but haven't seen that yet either!

edit2: Oh, also, I saw a larger version of A Fake Artist Goes to NewYork, but I had already bought the smaller one. I think the larger one may be the original edition? It had dry erase black markers in it, I think.

Here she is.

2l7iea6.jpg

So when I was buying games, I first focused on trying to find games that were Japanese in origin or artwork.. not just something I could get from a store in the US. From there, I considered how playable these games would be from an English or universal perspective.. And actually, all of these games (minus whatever those Godzilla things are (no idea what they are.. they were both 200yen a piece, new. They appear to be card games of some kind.. no idea. They appeal to me though, so I figure it's a fine gamble), either have an English description included on the back, say 'English Instructions Included', or show images of cards without text on them, so they ought to be universally playable.

I didn't realize till now that the Shephy game is a single player game, I might not have gotten that otherwise. There's also a dungeon one that I wish I picked up when I saw it, made by the same company, that looks like the Gun Fi game but is about dungeons. Hoping to see that at the Banesto store in Nagoya when I get around to going there.

I really love the look of this Kirby game. The artwork is super bright, colorful, and mirrors the art in the SNES/GBA games.

edit: Are the rest of the Oink games worth a look? I already have Deep Sea Adventure. What about Nine Tiles, Masked Men, In a Grove, or the rest? Haven't seen the Eel or Mole games. Vampire Radar is high on my list, but haven't seen it yet. Also want to get 'Everyone Must Get Out' or whatever it's called. .. Oh, and that Zombie Snowman game for sure, but haven't seen that yet either!

edit2: Oh, also, I saw a larger version of A Fake Artist Goes to NewYork, but I had already bought the smaller one. I think the larger one may be the original edition? It had dry erase black markers in it, I think.

Nice! you got many games I wanted but passed on. How's demon worker? can you post pics of the contents?

Too many cinderellas got an international release but in a way uglier box I think Downgo Dungeon also got a US release.

I like Nine Tiles but it's super light. I think neverfade really likes In a Grove, I also got maskmen but haven't played it yet Japanese games have tiny print runs, try role & role for sure, they have the largest game selection. I think the small Fake Artist is the original one.

Other games to keep an eye on, bear in mind most of these aren't great but are good fun:
- There's a japanese version of To Court the King
- A japanese version of Circus Flohcati that is gorgeous
- Tataraba Mori, I got it, it's gorgeous but haven't played it yet
- Mask of Anubis if you can find one, game is OOP and has zero changes of a reprint. He is making a sequel though.
- Maigo Neko, super cute
- The king of frontier
- If you like coops, check Dorasure great components for the value and has a ton of expansions
- Butababel really silly 3 mins filler.
- Almost anything by Manifest Destiny or Okazu is also at least worth a look

You can also check this Geek List for games that you might want translated

Nice! you got many games I wanted but passed on. How's demon worker? can you post pics of the contents?

Too many cinderellas got an international release but in a way uglier box I think Downgo Dungeon also got a US release.

I like Nine Tiles but it's super light. I think neverfade really likes In a Grove, I also got maskmen but haven't played it yet Japanese games have tiny print runs, try role & role for sure, they have the largest game selection. I think the small Fake Artist is the original one.

Other games to keep an eye on, bear in mind most of these aren't great but are good fun:
- There's a japanese version of To Court the King
- A japanese version of Circus Flohcati that is gorgeous
- Tataraba Mori, I got it, it's gorgeous but haven't played it yet
- Mask of Anubis if you can find one, game is OOP and has zero changes of a reprint. He is making a sequel though.
- Maigo Neko, super cute
- The king of frontier
- If you like coops, check Dorasure great components for the value and has a ton of expansions
- Butababel really silly 3 mins filler.
- Almost anything by Manifest Destiny or Okazu is also at least worth a look

You can also check this Geek List for games that you might want translated

Cool, thanks for the tips. Dorasure looks like my kind of game. Looks like there's a Yellow Submarine in Nagoya now too, so I'll be checking that out.

Demon Worker looks good. The art is especially cool. The components seem like they could have been more interesting, particularly the player information sheets are just a thin paper like the kind the catalogue is made of. I'll take a pic and put it up later. The score board is nice though.

My Horse Race Betting game has two Japanese instruction manuals. The other games from the same publisher have an English copy, so I'm guessing that was meant to be in there.

Downgo Dungeon has the plastic gems and play board that apparently aren't in the English version, so that'll help me justify it.

You're right, that Too Many Cinderellas English box looks terrible.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep my eye out.

EYEL1NER

I had a pretty fun game night that I just got home from. Fury of Dracula was what I was hoping to get onto the table but someone was late, so we played Alien Frontiers to start the night off. It is one of my favorite games, despite only getting others to play it with me three times. The other players liked the art/theme and the choices available to them, so I think it was a minor hit. After that the late guy showed up and someone else joined in, so since we had six we went with a six-player game of Scythe. I thought I was doing really well on this one and was building to meet the game build objective card, and I NEVER build in Scythe, but I wound up being in last place when it was said and done. After that we played three games of Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. It was very well-received and I plan to buy my own copy at some point. One thing that was a bummer though is I mentioned Five Tribes as a possible game and got a "I really disliked Five Tribes when I played it" from one guy and a "We think it looks really boring" from a couple, so I don't know when I'll ever be able to play that one. I got really hyped on it too a couple weeks back when I learned the rules and thought it would be a good one to take to the group. Oh well.

I got in on the $51 copies of Star Wars: Rebellion from Amazon earlier, so that shows up in a few days. Some of the X-Wing guys I play with wanted to try it out, so I'm gonna learn it quick so we can give it a go after an X-Wing day sometime. This weekend should be fun too: the big game store in Columbia is having a big Gamer Garage Sale where people are selling their games for store credit. Some guys from the X-Wing group are gonna carpool there with me and I'm hoping to find some cool deals. Before that, on Friday, I've gotta drive two hours to Charleston and I plan on hitting up the Green Dragon game store, which is supposed to be one of the best stores in the state. I've been once when I had an errand to run down there, and while there brokered a deal on BGG to be done in the parking lot of the game store, and liked what I saw when I went in and poked around.

Lyng

Star Realms, The Grizzled, Asante, Blueprint...oh and ofc my da personal GOAT Race for the Galaxy

Keasar

I saw that Miniature Market had the base game and Set Rotation both in stock. I had $17 of in-store credit so I pulled the trigger. Did you end up putting everything into the base box? I found on BGG printouts for dividers to do such along with a few ideas on how to put everything into the base box with sleeves. The OCD in me wants to go to LV99 and buy the extra promo packs but with the base and set rotation there are damn near 1300 cards already, so I held off.(or it will end up just like my few hundred Pixel Tactics cards I have never used yet)

I am still working out the logistics. :p

I had my Millennium Blades box insert modified because the insert by itself was kinda useless for long term storage. So I cut and taped pieces of it into something more manageable while buying one of those long cardboard boxes for card collections that would fit just right into the box and manage to fit all the main cards and some promo sets. sleeved, into it. Set Rotation right now throws a spanner in that works so I probably have to rethink the whole deal. Can take a picture of my hack-slap job when I get home from work.

emag

I would love the play Food Chain Magnate but the high price is holding me back.
Is there just that much content in the game?
100€ is so steel :/.

There's not a lot in the way of components in Food Chain Magnate -- just a bunch of simple cards, some really low-quality cardboard tiles, a few cardboard chits, and food "meeples". Blood Rage or Scythe this is not. As noted above, the small number of copies produced means that economies of scale don't kick in (and Splotter can get away with charging a high price because of the demand).

The game feels something like Power Grid or [Age of] Steam in terms of complexity and required thought, but without a formal auction it plays surprisingly quickly. The number of achievements ("milestones", each with an in-game reward) you can shoot for makes for interesting divergence in possible strategies (but also favors a handful of obvious first moves).

I realize Splotter is more of a "real" publisher than, say, Winsome, but FCM feels like the kind of game that Queen would/should reissue for the mass market with nicer tiles and a card-holding solution in the box.

I'm expecting we'll play it again either Saturday or Monday (or both). :)

Demon Worker looks good. The art is especially cool. The components seem like they could have been more interesting, particularly the player information sheets are just a thin paper like the kind the catalogue is made of. I'll take a pic and put it up later. The score board is nice though.

Thanks, I'm very interested in the game but there's almost no info about it on the web and the generic name makes it impossible to find.

ultron87

I played the Attack of Titan Deckbuilding Game yesterday. Being a licensed Cryptozoic game I was expecting a generic mess, but it seemed like there might actually be a decent puzzle in there. It certainly had issues in that the rules seemed like a mess, and the simple fact that you get to choose your start player actually led to way too much pre-round strategizing and quarterbacking that wouldn't be possible if that rule wasn't in there.

I could actually see it being a cool game with less players then the five we played with.

I wouldn't buy it or anything, but I'd play it again? Shrug.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I played the Attack of Titan Deckbuilding Game yesterday. Being a licensed Cryptozoic game I was expecting a generic mess, but it seemed like there might actually be a decent puzzle in there. It certainly had issues in that the rules seemed like a mess, and the simple fact that you get to choose your start player actually led to way too much pre-round strategizing and quarterbacking that wouldn't be possible if that rule wasn't in there.

I could actually see it being a cool game with less players then the five we played with.

Rahdo runthrough made it seem pretty decent too. One of those too many good games things though, and I already have like five REALLY good co-op deckbuilders.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Had a great time at the Tennessee Game Days here in Nashville. Played a couple of older titles (Waterdeep, Lords of Vegas) but got in some of the new(er) hotness as well.

Citrus: A fairly dry tile placement game. The theme is REALLY thin but it has some interesting mechanics. I liked how you had to pull tiles but ultimately it didn't really click with me.

The Great Zimbabwe: Interesting abstract tile placement(?) game. Very cool art and theme, but totally superfluous. It feels more complex than it really is but plays harder than it should. Not sure if that is a good thing...

Blood Rage: Ugh, tough one. This game is PUNISHING to new players. I got totally creamed. I get the asymmetrical nature to it, but when you throw in drafting it just crushes players who are not familiar with all of the cards, especially since combat is mostly settled with a single card play. Not sure why this game comes with such lavish minis that are so completely wasted on the simplistic combat model. Still, I gotta play it again just to see if it is not the game for me or if some understanding of the card possibilities will open it up.

Cry Havoc: THIS is the area control game I thought Blood Rage would be. Tactically interesting combat, different play styles for each faction, and a quick playtime. I got soured to BR due to falling behind almost immediately and having lots of delays in waiting for players (one player is a notoriously slow player, the other, to her credit, was on the phone ordering us lunch). But Cry Havoc has a much more interesting battle mechanic and plays so much faster, it may be a better game for me. Really feels like Nexus Ops on steroids.

Road Warrior: prototype game going up on kickstarter at some point. This is the second or third time I've gotten to play prototypes at TGD and it is always an interesting experience. This game has some really good things going for it (rock band theme is pretty novel in boardgames) but just feels a little dry. Definitely needs some good art design. We'll see if it ever gets released.

Terraforming Mars: YES! As good as I've heard. Of course I'm a sucker for resource management games but this one has it all. Great theme, good balance between map placement and hand management, and cool components. Even the science is pretty good. Definitely going to get this one, especially since it has strong solo play as well.

Walking around the gaming tables, it is amazing how many euro cube pushing games are out there. It is getting to the point where I have no idea how these games play, even after watching for a few minutes. So many little tracks with different cubes, player mats, boards cluttered with gameplay graphics, etc. All this stuff probably makes the game easier to play once you know the rules, but damned if it doesn't present a bit of overload initially! Hard to believe Caylus or Puerto Rico would look clean and streamlined in comparison :)

Saw some Gloomhaven. Not sure what justifies that big box but maybe folks were just in the early stages of the game. I'm watching this one closely.

zulux21

eh if you are lucky and have a half price books in your area, check to see if they have it. with the 50% off coupon that they had last week it was $16 to get a copy.

it's an interesting enough game. though I am not sure how you can combine it with other sets like most of the others lol.

shas'la

I'm in Japan right now as well. Picked up a few Oink games that I didn't get last time: Deep Sea Adventure, Pyramid Deadline, and Insider. Also got a copy of Modern Art, which was previously hard to find, and Vampire Radar. I saw Minerva, but passed since I have way too many new games waiting for me at home. Also passed on Yukidama Zombie, seemed too pricey for me though it looked really nice. I also bought a small dice tower to use for DND.

I tried to look for Coffee Roaster, but one of the staff at Yellow Submarine told me it's out of print and they had no more copies left.

If you guys are still in japan ( tokyo specifically), have you been to role & roll? Its a BG store in Akihabara?

zulux21

man... I remember when a certain poster wasn't sure that the kickstarter would do very well

aka congrats as I still need to figure out if i want to back it :p

(400k exact was just to pretty not to snap a pic of)

If you guys are still in japan ( tokyo specifically), have you been to role & roll? Its a BG store in Akihabara?

Yeah I stopped into 3 or 4 board game stores while I was in akihabara.

First I went to Yodobashi Camera, which had a small section, but a decent selection, of board games. I also went to Yellow Submarine, Role and Roll, and something that was called Sugihara specialty shop or something like that.

I can't recall which was which now, as I went into them in succession, but I think Role and Roll was a good one. There was also a shop on the floor above that one, which had piles of board games on a table near the front, but it apparently wasn't open yet. I asked a cleaning lady leaving the store what time it opened, and she said something that I felt meant it wasn't open for business just yet.

Just discovered there's now a Yellow Submarine in Osu in Nagoya on Akamon near Mandarake and all the other geek stores. Can't wait to check it out. Also need to see Game Store Banesto which isn't all that far from there either. I'm also curious to know if stores like Hobby Off have started carrying board games as the popularity of the hobby has apparently increased.

Yeah, I went to Role & Roll Station. Oink Games are cheaper there compared to Yellow Submarine, but other games like Stone Garden were more expensive. I went to Role & Roll first, then Yellow Submarine, but returned to the former to buy Deep Sea Adventures, Insider, and Pyramid Deadline. Also across the street from Role & Roll is Suguru-ya. One floor has a selection of board games, including a ton of used games. They marked up the prices on many of them. There was a used copy of one version of Lost Legacy for 3100 yen but you could get that brand new elsewhere for under 2000 yen.

I really like both Role & Roll and Yellow Submarine, really nice atmosphere in both stores. Role & Roll has open box copies of many games, so you can inspect the components before buying. Both stores also have house copies, and you can pay a small fee to sit down and play them. Both were packed with a lot of people playing different games, including some tabletop RPGs, when I went there. Yellow Submarine has weekly DND Adventure League, which I think is cool. Wizards of the Coast is finally going to release translated copies of 5th edition in Japanese and other languages soon, so that'll be good.

EYEL1NER

After playing Deception last night, I began looking at some other party games earlier. Monikers is looking good to me, and I see that I could jump into the Monikers SU&SD Kickstarter and get everything (though I would have to wait until July to receive them). After seeing how much praise SU&SD has heaped upon Skull&Roses/Skull, I think I'll try to play that next week. I'll probably take Skull rather than Skull & Roses Black or Skull & Roses Red, since Skull is the easiest of the three to replace if I need to in the future. Black ver. and Red ver. aren't easy to pick up anymore at all.

I really wish my usual group would want to play a game like Food Chain Magnate, but alas.

We are going to have a game night tonight and bring someone new into the group. Should be fun.

So for the few people who've played level 99's battlecon how does exceed compare? From what I can tell battlecon is to streetfighter what exceed is to guilty gear/blazblue. I was waiting for this move to be done and tax return to pick up and try battlecon, but at $160 for both full seasons exceed seems like the easier game to jump into.

fenners

We played Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective as a group after work 5 of us, 1 of whom had played a previous case & was our "leader".

Ridiculously fun. We're a bunch of programmers mostly, totally took us out of our comfort zone. lots of theorizing, cross checks etc. Had scans of a map on the conference room screen. Three white boards of names/notes/locations. Plus pen + paper notes. And the five us pouring over map + notes.

A really good time.

We played Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective as a group after work 5 of us, 1 of whom had played a previous case & was our "leader".

Ridiculously fun. We're a bunch of programmers mostly, totally took us out of our comfort zone. lots of theorizing, cross checks etc. Had scans of a map on the conference room screen. Three white boards of names/notes/locations. Plus pen + paper notes. And the five us pouring over map + notes.

A really good time.

Yeah I love it. I've played it with coworkers too and it really creates a bonding moment theorizing and listening to people. I haven't played any other game that gives that kind of feel.

A really good time.

Awesome.

I gave the Ripper/West End one to my friend for her birthday. We have yet to play it but I'm really looking forward to it. We were going to tonight but another friend of ours is not so great with English so we will have to play it another time.

Top Bottom