• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

fenners

On that note Zombicide Green Horde opened yesterday and it's almost $1.3M already. With shipping the price is pretty high, around $140-150 and the ks seems to follow Rising Sun. Anyone backing this?

I'll be skipping it. I have more than enough modern Zombicide, and I'm happy enough with what I have. Sold off my KS for the first medieval one right as it arrived, it was just too much "stuff" that would never get played. CMON have a very successful marketing system on KS for their mini heavy stuff and it usually presents good value, but the costs are sneaking up there, first with Rising Sun & now this one.

Got to play more Scythe + Great Western Trail over the holiday weekend with good mates. Did much better at GWT. Really digging that one. "This War of Mine" should arrive today, excited to see how it turns out. From Kickstarter, snark.

I started working on it yesterday. Trying to make it enticing enough without going super in-depth on everything. I should have a first draft finished sometime today, and I can run it by you (and others) if you'd like.

I'll also take suggestions for |OT| subtitles by PM (so as not to further clutter up this thread).

I'm not witty enough to write a good subtitle im afraid. But I'll be glad to proofread the OT if you need that. I'm sure to make heavy use of the thread after all.

I am interesting in checking out that expansion. Let me know how it is.

Never played the original so I'll need time to try that first. Hard for me to find people around here to play any board games with I checked out the closest "shop" to my area yesterday and it was magic the gathering oh and we have settlers of catan and occasionaly have cah night -.-

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I started working on it yesterday. Trying to make it enticing enough without going super in-depth on everything. I should have a first draft finished sometime today, and I can run it by you (and others) if you'd like.

I'll also take suggestions for |OT| subtitles by PM (so as not to further clutter up this thread).

Call of Covfefe

Taborcarn

*EDIT* CoolStuffInc has 20+ in stock! So if anyone wants to try Odin, I know it's expensive but you have a chance. http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/231083

It's a shame that the Asmodee online pricing stuff went into effect in between the original printing and this one. I had preordered A Feast for Odin from CoolStuffInc before last EssenSpiel and it was $20 less then.

Edit: I also like Oh My Goods, but I haven't played it in at least a year. I'm really hoping the Longsdale in Revolt expansion will come to the US. It has campaign and solo modes.

EYEL1NER

Man, Onirim is a tough game. I grabbed the app and glyphs expansion for free over the weekend for my iPad. I've won only two games and have a 9% win ratio. I've had some matches where I've done great too, like made it down to 30 cards left in my deck with only two more doors left to get and plenty of those colors left in the deck. But I'll have six nightmares left in the deck at that point and not be able to capitalize on my early lead.

Taborcarn

Man, Onirim is a tough game. I grabbed the app and glyphs expansion for free over the weekend for my iPad. I've won only two games and have a 9% win ratio. I've had some matches where I've done great too, like made it down to 30 cards left in my deck with only two more doors left to get and plenty of those colors left in the deck. But I'll have six nightmares left in the deck at that point and not be able to capitalize on my early lead.

I started having more success with Onirim when I learned to not be afraid to discard keys. My instinct is to horde them to defend against nightmares, but rearranging the draw deck and you can discard a nightmare anyway if it's one of the top 5 cards. And there's almost always one there.

Wow, that's great. Looking forward to the thread.

EYEL1NER

I started having more success with Onirim when I learned to not be afraid to discard keys. My instinct is to horde them to defend against nightmares, but rearranging the draw deck and you can discard a nightmare anyway if it's one of the top 5 cards. And there's almost always one there.
I'm constantly discarding keys to alter the top of the draw deck. I've never really looked to use a key to defend against a nightmare. I have recently in my last few games started to discard a key and line up the keys and doors on the top to get the free door from having a matching key color in-hand; I wasn't doing that before and forgot it was an option.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow, that's great. Looking forward to the thread.

Yup I'll keep an eye out for out since I'm going to bail on this thread now since it's clearly not intended for people to discuss games they're currently into, but rather whether people should pay double the future price to preorder games that may release in three years. What was I thinking all these years? Definitely huge apologies for all the annoyance and outright frustration caused by my posts on Destiny, Arkham, Netrunner, etc. over the past decade.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My most played game by a landslide these last few months is the GoT card game. Card games have rights, gaiz

it has so many plays because we finally beat gloomhaven

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
A few pages ago a bunch of us were going on about Descent. There is room for everything. This thread doesn't move that fast.

zulux21

I am going to be nice and point out Minerva from Pandasaurus Games launched on kickstarter

I know nothing about it, mostly just posting about it so a certain other member in here can talk about it and tell us about it as I want to know more about it, but am currently to lazy to read the kickstarter >.>

aka I will look at it later, but figured some of you would be interested and that certain member would like people talking about it :p

Ohnonono

I am going to be nice and point out Minerva from Pandasaurus Games launched on kickstarter

I know nothing about it, mostly just posting about it so a certain other member in here can talk about it and tell us about it as I want to know more about it, but am currently to lazy to read the kickstarter >.>

aka I will look at it later, but figured some of you would be interested and that certain member would like people talking about it :p

I really like the look of this. Will keep an eye out.

Game art looks pretty good! (what's wrong with her right leg though). I was worried since the changes they made for String Safari were terrible, but in this case it's pretty good, original version was fine but this looks better. The back of the tiles still are terrible though.

Lyng

Please don't leave guys :,( Why can't we all live in peace. No matter if we get bled dry from shady crowdfunding campaigns or the flying fantasies, we are all in this addiction together!!!!

Geez this thread is all about those LCGs and whatnot, nothing else is talked in here...

On that note Zombicide Green Horde opened yesterday and it's almost $1.3M already. With shipping the price is pretty high, around $140-150 and the ks seems to follow Rising Sun. Anyone backing this?
I don't see what wrong with discussing Arkham or Destiny in here it is an analog gaming thread after all. We should look to grow our interests instead of segregated everything.

And I am weary about backing another CMON Kickstarter. I will pre-order it when they are close to production if I am interested. At this point I am pretty tired of their rehash and always late Kickstarter fulfillment. I am also backing only few Kickstarter games, the last few I found were under cook and need more play test.

ultron87

Over the weekend I played Exit: The Secret Lab which is one of the new "escape room in a box" games. We played with 4 people and it took around ninety minutes.

It was pretty fun! It's absolutely a one time experience (since you have to draw on some of the components, among other things), but the 15 dollars seemed like a semi reasonable cost for that amount of time of cool puzzles for 4 people. There were some pretty clever puzzles that had some good "ah ha!" moments and the system for determining if your answers was right or not while a little complicated, worked pretty well for concealing all the answers from accidental reveals.

The one thing I'd say is that it didn't do a particularly good job of providing enough stuff for multiple people to be working on at once. And I can't imagine it working well with the advertised maximum of 6 people.

I'd definitely do another one sometime. I'll have to try one of the Unlock games soon here, which is the other new entry in the genre.

Karkador

Banned
If you're annoyed by the frequent KS talk, or frequent Arkham talk, or the frequent SW Destiny talk, or the frequent Gloomhaven talk, etc., just do what I do and tell yourself, "In a month or two the next Best Thing Ever will come along and the topic will certainly change". Not much use in trying to make a fuss about it. Just bring up things YOU want to talk about, too.

FWIW, I don't see how spin off threads about hot games is a bad idea, but that shouldn't mean it's forbidden here.

I do wish we had maybe some more regular "cult of the old" talk in the thread. Lots of older games are still well worth talking about, recommending, etc. I'm also up for reading recap posts of games you played.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought the only reason Destiny posts stopped was because they got their own thread. Were there that many Gloomhaven posts? It never seemed to reach the Destiny / Arkham level.

I would skip the new Zcide KS but some of my friends absolutely love the game.

The expensive stand alone thing is a huge turn off. Why we abandoned buying the seasons of the original game, when really they could have just released smaller expansion sets to add in alot of the new content. The whole buying a whole new starting stand alone game each time was redundant, lot of wasted components and just expensive and space wasting.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Over the weekend I played Exit: The Secret Lab which is one of the new "escape room in a box" games. We played with 4 people and it took around ninety minutes.

It was pretty fun! It's absolutely a one time experience (since you have to draw on some of the components, among other things), but the 15 dollars seemed like a semi reasonable cost for that amount of time of cool puzzles for 4 people. There were some pretty clever puzzles that had some good "ah ha!" moments and the system for determining if your answers was right or not while a little complicated, worked pretty well for concealing all the answers from accidental reveals.

The one thing I'd say is that it didn't do a particularly good job of providing enough stuff for multiple people to be working on at once. And I can't imagine it working well with the advertised maximum of 6 people.

I'd definitely do another one sometime. I'll have to try one of the Unlock games soon here, which is the other new entry in the genre.

Nice. We played the cabin one a few weeks ago and thought it was great. Played with six though which was too many. 2-3 is probably the sweet spot.

I've played both now and still think Unlock for a group and Exit for a couple. You could also make it work well with a threesome, but there is a chance one of the group will get jealous and it will cause issues later.

I'd like to see the concept extended from there to "kits" where you could place objects physically around a room (little boxes etc kind of "Escape room legacy"). Even if they are still card like, would help to get more people involved.

Shipping after campaign ends :| For those not playing at home there was a bit of drama during the dinosaur kickstarter when the AU shipping went from "nope not backing that" to "that is pretty good actually" but only after the fact. Would be nice to know a bit more of a concrete figure.

zulux21

Shipping after campaign ends :| For those not playing at home there was a bit of drama during the dinosaur kickstarter when the AU shipping went from "nope not backing that" to "that is pretty good actually" but only after the fact. Would be nice to know a bit more of a concrete figure.
After backing something I tend to just forget it exists until it gets near shipping date.

aka I have like 10 backed kickstarters the only ones I can tell you for sure that exist are This War is Mine and Spirit island lol.

I'm looking forward to playing both.

Hopefully the shipping if figured out well for non US though.

XShagrath

Sent off the Arkham Horror |OT| to a handful of people for proofreading/suggestions. Once I get a couple thumbs up, I'll go ahead and make it live.

This was one of the games I was searching for in game shops when I was on vacation in Japan a few months ago but could not find. Nice to see that I'll be able to get it on Kickstarter. Rahdo did a video on it as well, saw it on the Kickstarter page.

joelseph

New favorite game - Terraforming Mars. I love me engine builders and this one just scratches all the right spots. Dethroning Imperial Settlers for me personally.

Blizzard

Banned
Every time I get brought back around to considering Terraforming Mars, I remember there were some sort of criticisms of components and gameplay that someone (someones?) posted here, that talked me out of it in the first place.

joelseph

Every time I get brought back around to considering Terraforming Mars, I remember there were some sort of criticisms of components and gameplay that someone (someones?) posted here, that talked me out of it in the first place.

The player's tableau mat is just a printed piece of paper that you have to track cubes on. You have to be careful to not knock it around.

I have never seen a game that has so many after market accessories to fix this issue. There is the Broken token solution, the plastic Gametrayz, or etsy acrylic overlays.

I have mainly been playing solo and am careful not to bump it but plan on buying one of the 3 solutions above. I also plan on sleeving the cards and possibly replacing some of the map tokens with 3d prints.

One of my favorite qualities of the game is there are no aliens. Straight up science is so refreshing in this hobby. No guns, no aliens, no killing. I'm getting all hot and bothered, time for another solo run...

XShagrath

I've played Terraforming Mars twice now, and it's very fun. Playing the standard way with just drawing cards does have quite a bit of randomness. The second time we played, we did a card draft and the game felt a lot more focused. This was only with two players, so I'm not sure what kind of time that would add if a full four player game was being played.

My friend did pick up the acrylic trays. They definitely help, but are not absolutely necessary. Lots of games have player boards like that where if you knock them, all of your trackers scatter all over the place. Eclipse is the one that immediately comes to mind.

joelseph

I have a serious space game addiction going right now. In the past week or two I have added to my collection:

Star Trek Ascendancy (Traded Time Stories)
Star Wars Armada (Traded Fury of Dracula)
Apollo 13 (Free)
The Captain is Dead (Purchased after Rahdo Runs)
Terraforming Mars (Purchased after playing at Geekway)
Eminent Domain (Traded Attack on Titan)

Also started a new job that has massive Mtg/Netrunner/Pokemon/Boardgame communities going daily at lunch. Getting together with the Race for the Galaxy group for the first time tomorrow!

fenners

Reminds me that Terraforming Mars is now #8 on BGG

I'm going to be the nay-sayer. I can see why people are enjoying it, but the two times I've played it were totally unbalanced by the card distribution in early rounds. If you got affordable cards with some synergy to build an engine around? You were golden. Those of us who didn't, never got going.

Some of that's unfamiliarity with the game, sure, but we're seasoned Eurogamers, and I've played hundreds of games of Race For The Galaxy, which Terraforming Mars reminded me a lot of. You can have a game of Race where nothing comes together too... But I can play Race in 15 minutes.

I can see the appeal of building an engine through the card tableaux, and the mechanics are fine... And theme is captured really well... But 8th best game evar? Man... I'm outta touch ;)

What are some good board games that I can play with mom/dad/grandma if they aren't really into the kind of board games people here generally discuss but are more unique then the usual suspects?

Top Bottom