• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

The Epic AF Kickstarter launched earlier this week. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awfulfantasy/epic-af/updates

Probably not going to back it. The theme is not very appealing and I already own Warhammer Qest: The Adventure Card Game.
Ugh, a comment from that project:
Man the funding stopped :(
Just a suggestion if the game is not funded: change the name of the game and remove any confusion by not relating this game to the awful fantasy card game. Some people think they are related which affect this game. Also some video of a few turn of gameplay and reviews could help the game if posted on the main page.(not everyone know what warhammer quest the adventure card game is , and a link to a gameplay video on the main page would work.)
Fucking lol. People are already worried about the drop in backers and funding as the days went on and then that comment pops up. If this was a sequel to Warhammer Quest: ACG (which I understand they can't do, but I'm just saying if it was), it would have met its funding before the first day was up. Instead we get this horrible theme with those characters and that art style, that admittedly does have the negative baggage of WQ:ACG never getting any more content, and people are like "Whoa, why isn't this picking up more steam?"
Man, I don't think I saw a single thing on any of those cards or in any character description that even made me slightly raise a corner of my mouth, let alone laugh and say "Now THAT'S funny!" What a dissapointment all-around.

It can supposedly be mixed in with the WQ:ACG and played the same with the only difference being the theme (and card backs, sleeves required). They are saying it's the same system and mechanics, just the rules are cleaned up a bit. So that means that the dice and playmat should be able to be used with WQ:ACG, I guess? That kind of makes me want to get specifically those, but I don't want to contribute any money to this campaign.

EDIT: Last thoughts added in here. They (the Sadler brothers) have said that depending on the success of Epic AF (ewwww, it's painful even typing that game name out), there will be versions of the game with different themes in the future. So maybe there could be a generic fantasy version that could be better integrated with WQ:ACG, or a scifi version, or something. That certainly sounds cool, but why tie the future of the system and legacy of the original game to one with a theme this divisive and niche? I imagine it might not have been too much of a choice, Awful Fantasy may have been the only team who offered up any money for them to make a new game. Or maybe the brothers genuinely love the Awful Fantasy style and get a kick out of it, I don't know. Just seems like a Awful choice.

Experien

I think I am ready to sell off my Sheriff of Nottingham. It can be too much of a mess to explain apples and then explain it all and add it up. I know there are apps but I found a new game that streamlines the whole process and kind of just uses the heart of Nottingham, the lying.

Oh Captain, it is simpler in more ways than one but after two games in a row, someone said they thought it was way better than Sheriff.

So what's a good choice for ios board games for iphone that are good to play single player?

Most apps have single player modes, here's a bunch that I have:

Colt Express
Onirim
Stone Age
Tsuro
Catan
Ticket to Ride
Splendor

Ton more games I could list. Curious how Lanterns is.

Thanks for the suggestions I got tsuro seemed like the kind of game I'd like. Are neroshima hex and pandemic not good on mobile/not good for single player? Both caught my eye just browsing.

Aside from the ones already mentioned, Ascension and Star Realms are also pretty great iOS versions. In fact, it's the only way I've played them.

Lords of Waterdeep and Patchwork are good implementations as well.

Edit: I've enjoyed Pandemic on iOS. Looks pretty and plays well.

So what's a good choice for ios board games for iphone that are good to play single player?
The AIs in Carcassonne are very devious at the higher levels. They had a challenge mode too.
Onirim and 'The Game' are good 'patience' type card games.
Race For The Galaxy also has a very good AI.

The AIs in Carcassonne are very devious at the higher levels. They had a challenge mode too.
Onirim and 'The Game' are good 'patience' type card games.
Race For The Galaxy also has a very good AI.

I'll keep those in mind for the future

Impulse bought pandemic today, gonna try and get some friends to warm up to it so I can drop pandemic legacy on their heads.

Experien

Thanks for the suggestions I got tsuro seemed like the kind of game I'd like. Are neroshima hex and pandemic not good on mobile/not good for single player? Both caught my eye just browsing.

I've largely viewed Pandemic as a single player game. I don't know if you can play with just one character but you can always play with two characters by yourself. It works and I think the have some IAP of the expansions. In the same vein, Ghost Stories does the same thing but a lot harder.

BattleLore and Colt Express has campaigns.

Ra is pretty good too.

Bought the core set of Arkham Horror LCG in the end, I know everytime I would see it I would be tempted to try it and see for myself if I like it...Now I'll find out!

ultron87

I played many games at Origins!

I think this is the whole list: Paris Connection, Millennium Blades, The Networks, Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, Watson & Holmes, Century: Spice Road, Troyes, Favor of the Pharaoh, Colony, Aeon's End, Vast: The Crystal Cavern, The Voyages of Marco Polo, Among the Stars, Near and Far, HMS Dolores, Dark Moon, Blood Rage and Glux. Also got to demo Codenames Duet at their booth.

I think Near and Far was my favorite. It is a nice resource gathering and map exploring game with bespoke quest for every potential location on the map you could quest at. The game loop of assembling a party, leaving town, establishing some camps, and maybe hitting a quest before heading back home to spend your loot was very satisfying. It helps that it has super gorgeous components and some really fun writing. There's a campaign mode and a bunch of different maps you can play so it seems like you can get a lot of mileage out of it without just doing the same quests over and over.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played a few more games of Dark Souls. It is just missing something. Probably the 10+ ebnemy types and additional heroes, bosses and gear. It just has way too much grinding for what it is. Would say just increase the soul drop rate but that would make the smaller encounters even more braindead than they already are. There are almost never any tough decisions to make. The best option is usually right there and you have to take it. I can't realy say I am disappointed because I really wasn't expecting much. In my collection, I have multiple coop crawlers that are far and away better. I probably will sell it when I get the rest of my stretch goals.

Now to game I played this weekend that I like,finally got Claustrophobia and Conan back on the table. Claustrophobia never lets me down but I want to reiterate how good of a game Conan is. It is the best 1vAll that I have hands down. It gives the heroes so much freedom to act as they want, when they want on their turn. Seeing them plot out moves and team ups and throwing weapons to each other etc is fun to even watch. Much more going on than in Deacent or The Others or something like that. The overlord, my full time position, is also great. Managing the activations through "the river" was a great bit of design. Overlord also has a little bit of the freestyle play that the heroes have, just not to the same extent. Great mechanics and fantastic scenarios designed throughout.

Experien

I played many games at Origins!

I think this is the whole list: Paris Connection, Millennium Blades, The Networks, Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, Watson & Holmes, Century: Spice Road, Troyes, Favor of the Pharaoh, Colony, Aeon's End, Vast: The Crystal Cavern, The Voyages of Marco Polo, Among the Stars, Near and Far, HMS Dolores, Dark Moon, Blood Rage and Glux. Also got to demo Codenames Duet at their booth.

I think Near and Far was my favorite. It is a nice resource gathering and map exploring game with bespoke quest for every potential location on the map you could quest at. The game loop of assembling a party, leaving town, establishing some camps, and maybe hitting a quest before heading back home to spend your loot was very satisfying. It helps that it has super gorgeous components and some really fun writing. There's a campaign mode and a bunch of different maps you can play so it seems like you can get a lot of mileage out of it without just doing the same quests over and over.

It also comes with an Arcade Deck which allows you to keep playing or do one off plays without having to read the same stories over and over. Sure the arcade mode has no story but it has a listed obstacle and two options thaty ou can do so you can paint your own picture.

jhawk6

Played a bunch of games at and around Origins:

Clockwork Wars was one of the highlights. We played a 5 player game and it had a good bit of setup and learning curve but we managed an accelerated game. Everyone seemed to like it and the game was close. 2 points separated 1st and 2nd place while the remaining players tied for 3rd. The asymmetric races coupled with the simultaneous hidden deployment really elevates this above other area control games for me. Not to mention the discoveries,generals, and espionage cards that can really impact the game. Recommended.

Guards of Atlantis was a bit more mixed. We played this 2v2 and I liked it but my teammate and one player on the other team did not care for it at all. I think the hero mix and our lack of PvP created the problem. My team had two melee characters (Wasp and Min) while the other team had a range and melee (Swift and Arien). The Swift character went wild and after a couple upgrades had a comfortable range of 7 for easy minion snipes. The Arien player never managed to kill any minions or upgrade at all which contributed to his bad time I feel. My team (I was Wasp) did manage the win by purely focusing on the minions which some felt made the PvP aspect pointless. I feel like the game would be better 3v3 using the 6-10 player side of the board or a better mix of heroes.

Played a demo of Dragonfire with 2 other friends. None of us had played Shadowrun Crossfire which this game's system is built upon and we were all kind of blown away. One friend is anticipating getting the reprint of Crossfire as he would prefer the theme but I myself have this preordered. Really cool cooperative deck builder with certain cards that are more useful to assist another player to kill creatures on their turn than to use it for your own turn. You have to balance which enemy you attack to keep everyone alive and it's got neat decisions on what market cards to buy or leave for other players. Also , there is apparently some kind of permanent progression for your characters the more games you play. Really enjoyed this one and am looking forward to it's release.

Of Dreams & Shadows was a different type of coop game for us. Lots of choose your own adventure in the quests which we liked but for me the downtime between turns kind of killed it. We played this with 6 players so that undoubtedly contributed to the long periods between decisions for your character.

Had Sword & Sorcery demoed to us. We played with 5 players and had high expectations going in but left ultimately disappointed. Partly was a bad first impression that was due to some rules that were explained incorrectly. The biggest offender was that our Sorceress's AoE ability triggering when she rolled a lightning bolt not being optional and the ranged character could only attack from a range of 3. After we cleared that up by coercing the people presenting the game to us to cough up the rulebook things improved but overall we felt the game wasn't doing anything that new with the dungeon crawl genre. The shining star was probably how the good/evil alignment of character affected the story bits and your abilites/equipment. We found out after the demo that it also affected gameplay such as what happens when creatures die but again didn't see that in action as the presenters must have been new/unfamiliar with the rules.

Had a good time with a 7 player game of Not Alone. A 1 vs all game where the creature is hunting survivors who gave crashed on its planet. In our game the survivors won with the creature about 3 or 4 spots from victory. This was just one game and I'd have to play it more to get a feel for balance but it seemed just right. The creature whiffed on a couple turns and that made all the difference for our survivor team.

Also introduced Clank, Coup, and Tyrants of the Underdark to my friends and all were a hit as usual.

Oh and we had an epic-hours long game of Hero Realms with 5 players. Very fun deck building game but I would not suggest playing this more than 3 unless you've got a nice chunk of time carved out.

chifanpoe

Played a bunch of games at and around Origins:

Played a demo of Dragonfire with 2 other friends. None of us had played Shadowrun Crossfire which this game's system is built upon and we were all kind of blown away. One friend is anticipating getting the reprint of Crossfire as he would prefer the theme but I myself have this preordered. Really cool cooperative deck builder with certain cards that are more useful to assist another player to kill creatures on their turn than to use it for your own turn. You have to balance which enemy you attack to keep everyone alive and it's got neat decisions on what market cards to buy or leave for other players. Also , there is apparently some kind of permanent progression for your characters the more games you play. Really enjoyed this one and am looking forward to it's release.

Great news! I am looking forward to it. I have Crossfire and love it. In Shadowrun you earn karma points that you can spend on upgrades that you add to your player sheets. I would assume it will work similar in Dragonfire, but more D&D style with levels and perks.

Played a few more games of Dark Souls. It is just missing something. Probably the 10+ ebnemy types and additional heroes, bosses and gear. It just has way too much grinding for what it is. Would say just increase the soul drop rate but that would make the smaller encounters even more braindead than they already are. There are almost never any tough decisions to make. The best option is usually right there and you have to take it. I can't realy say I am disappointed because I really wasn't expecting much. In my collection, I have multiple coop crawlers that are far and away better. I probably will sell it when I get the rest of my stretch goals.

I got this game mainly for my kids both of them love Dark Souls. My son who is on leave from the army played this with his buddy last week. They spend 10 hours playing the game to get to the end boss and defeat him. I asked him what he think, he said it's a lot like video game, very grindy and after he finished it he didn't want to play it again because he said he felt like he done everything the game has to offer and the decision making was not all that exciting.

We played Anachrony and a lot of Star Wars Rebellion this week. Rebellion is by far my son and my in-law favorite game, we played the game with 3 player, 4 player, 2 player and all have been enjoyable. That ZenBins organizer was well worth the $20.00 spend, it made set up and tear down a breeze and I think help making getting the game to the table often.

Yeah, Dark Souls just isn't good.

I went all in on the bosses and expansions, so I need this game to be fixed by someone or I need to get rid of it.

Even all the community fixes right now don't do anything about the lotto item card deck. That's still the main focus of the game, and I hate it.

I disagree that it's much like the videogame though. There's no sensation of dexterity, action and reaction, and challenge. It's just a dumbed down grindy generic thing with a vagueish dark souls skin.

A given Dark Souls video game session has zero grinding.. You hop in a level with a friend and play for about an hour, learning the field and fighting enemies with the materials and stats you had before you started playing with your friend. That's what they needed to focus on. The grind? Nah, that's not Dark Souls...

I've been playing Dark Souls 3 right? I leveled up to 60 within the first few areas after several hours, and now I play the rest of the game at level 60. No need to over level.
Also, there was no grinding. No need.

I feel the board game was made by people who have barely played the video game.

Claustrophobia never lets me down but I want to reiterate how good of a game Conan is. It is the best 1vAll that I have hands down. It gives the heroes so much freedom to act as they want, when they want on their turn. Seeing them plot out moves and team ups and throwing weapons to each other etc is fun to even watch. Much more going on than in Deacent or The Others or something like that. The overlord, my full time position, is also great. Managing the activations through "the river" was a great bit of design. Overlord also has a little bit of the freestyle play that the heroes have, just not to the same extent. Great mechanics and fantastic scenarios designed throughout.

Hmm, I'm really interested in picking up Conan... it's pricey though and I read it doesn't come with many scenarios in the box.

So as I have been picking up more LotR LCG I've been slowly watching and reading up on how to play Arkahm LCG... damn you all... sounds great, but my only holdback is that I want to find some friends willing to play it with me.

panty

Damn the new Zombicide and Lords of Hellas kickstarters are destroying my wallet. I haven't played any previous Zcide games but from what I've been told they're good so I'm on my way of going way over my initial budget...

Got my battlecon and mysterium bgg promos in the mail today. I'll probably pick up Mysterium next month, next paycheck is going to the deception murder in hong kong ks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Damn the new Zombicide and Lords of Hellas kickstarters are destroying my wallet. I haven't played any previous Zcide games but from what I've been told they're good so I'm on my way of going way over my initial budget...

I actually sold my copy of Black Plague recently. I will say this - the game is fun, but very formulaic. I'm hopeful that Massive Darkness fixes the need to search whore for success.

panty

I actually sold my copy of Black Plague recently. I will say this - the game is fun, but very formulaic. I'm hopeful that Massive Darkness fixes the need to search whore for success.

Yeah the game probably isn't perfect by any means but as a big figure and co-op fan I'm eager to try it. Problem is, now when I'm already neck deep, I might as well buy the expansions etc...

:(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh Geek Chic went under and may have dipped with customer money!

Honestly, not surprised. There tables were very expensive. Not saying they weren't nice looking, but the ultra premium prices were quite jarring considering the niche of it all.

Oh Geek Chic went under and may have dipped with customer money!

Honestly, not surprised. There tables were very expensive. Not saying they weren't nice looking, but the ultra premium prices were quite jarring considering the niche of it all.

whoa wha?! I just got one of their tables in Jan, it's amazing. That's crazy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
whoa wha?! I just got one of their tables in Jan, it's amazing. That's crazy.

Yeah - from their website:

Geek Chic

It is with great sadness that I must announce Geek Chic has ceased operation. Despite heroic efforts by many, this outcome is out of our hands. While I am certain there are many outstanding questions, we are currently limited in our ability to respond. I will update this page with appropriate contact information and procedures as they become available.

I am forever indebted to those who joined us on this adventure, and am absolutely gutted about it's end.

Robert Gifford

Someone on Reddit posted about it last night.

I'm not saying they didn't make a great product (because seeing them in person was quite awesome), but they ran a heavy premium. I believe Polygon ran a story about it the other day, too. Basically saying they were making far too little money per table because of HOW handcrafted and artisan they were.

They put on huge expensive show set ups also, and I always was kinda wondering why they did so many conventions that costs major money for their huge set ups, and often on the east coast. Like they did several shows in Florida, which is one of the most expensive places for them to ship too, talking to their reps years ago at a FL show, the cost for them to bring a table to me was almost as much as the table. So it seemed counter productive for them to be doing shows on the far east coast.

They did get better at their shipping prices with time, but still, I always wondered how much business they were actually doing.

Deep Space D-6 is getting a RPG supplement with the reissue KS. Really looking forward to it.
Oh yes I'm looking forward to this and the expansion! It's nice seeing the positive word of mouth spread on Deep Space D-6.

The reprint kickstarter is currently at $248,432 with 8,865 backers with 5 hours to go. Compared to the original kickstarter which ended at $40,541 with 1,955 backers in Nov.2015.

Keasar

I had always wanted one of those gaming tables, but man, those prices. I wouldn't be able to see something like that for a very long time. I can't say I am that surprised that they went under. I would have been more than happy to see one of those tables but perhaps a more mass-produced and cheaper version.

I went with the low budget version and got myself one of these mats from Quiver Gaming instead.

Experien

I had always wanted one of those gaming tables, but man, those prices. I wouldn't be able to see something like that for a very long time. I can't say I am that surprised that they went under. I would have been more than happy to see one of those tables but perhaps a more mass-produced and cheaper version.

I went with the low budget version and got myself one of these mats from Quiver Gaming instead.

You get version 1 or 2?

I think the first version was thicker and cheaper. I always wondered how the 2nd order was.

EYEL1NER

I'm glad I bought Ice Cool when I did a couple weeks ago. With it winning Kinderspiel, I can see it being a bit hard to come by. The award won't move as many copies as if it were a regular SdJ game; this is a "family" game after all. But its been OOS for a little while already at some game stores and then chains like Marbles the Brain Store clearanced it out months ago (possibly chain-wide).

Yeah, Dark Souls just isn't good.

I went all in on the bosses and expansions, so I need this game to be fixed by someone or I need to get rid of it.

Even all the community fixes right now don't do anything about the lotto item card deck. That's still the main focus of the game, and I hate it.

I disagree that it's much like the videogame though. There's no sensation of dexterity, action and reaction, and challenge. It's just a dumbed down grindy generic thing with a vagueish dark souls skin.

A given Dark Souls video game session has zero grinding.. You hop in a level with a friend and play for about an hour, learning the field and fighting enemies with the materials and stats you had before you started playing with your friend. That's what they needed to focus on. The grind? Nah, that's not Dark Souls...

I've been playing Dark Souls 3 right? I leveled up to 60 within the first few areas after several hours, and now I play the rest of the game at level 60. No need to over level.
Also, there was no grinding. No need.

I feel the board game was made by people who have barely played the video game.
I asked him again and last night to play this as I want to play it and I guess I misheard him he said it's unlike video game and he pretty much echo your sentiment. (I don't play Dark Souls since the first and much prefer Ninja Gaiden). Anyway he told me once you go through the board game it's pretty boring since everything beside the boss become predictable and you always know the best course to take and at that point there is no risk and once you grind up your gear you are just going through the motion.

norm9

Paid $30 for a used copy of Space Hulk Death Angel. Think that's apretty good deal as Amazon has a new copy for 46 bucks and most used copies on ebay are about 40 bucks.

Do I need to know anything about Warhammer to play this? The instructions look followable if not a little complex.

Also picked up a physical version with all the expansions for Onirim. Got hooked on it after playing the free version on android. Probably my second favorite android solitaire type game.

Karkador

Banned
Do I need to know anything about Warhammer to play this? The instructions look followable if not a little complex.

Nope. If you understand the concept of marines in space + hordes of aliens, you're good.

Also picked up a physical version with all the expansions for Onirim. Got hooked on it after playing the free version on android. Probably my second favorite android solitaire type game.

I recommend most of of those Oniverse games by Shadi Torbey. Sylvion is probably my personal fave, at this point.

No need to know anything about the Warhammer universe to enjoy it. It's basically the generic bald-headed "space marines" vs xenomorphs. Thematically, the space hulks are these massive derelict space ships (or conglomeration of ships) that have been floating around the galaxy. You're sent in to purge the alien infestation because there may be something useful aboard, and because space marines like fighting shit.

Here's a good rules summary. If you have a BGG account, here's another rules summary.

YouTube also has some how to play videos such as this one, and this one. I agree that the rules are a bit dense when first opening the rule book, so these should help you out.

norm9

I recommend most of of those Oniverse games by Shadi Torbey. Sylvion is probably my personal fave, at this point.

Just looked him up. Didn't know he made other games. Definitely going to grab his other games now.

No need to know anything about the Warhammer universe to enjoy it. It's basically the generic bald-headed "space marines" vs xenomorphs. Thematically, the space hulks are these massive derelict space ships (or conglomeration of ships) that have been floating around the galaxy. You're sent in to purge the alien infestation because there may be something useful aboard, and because space marines like fighting shit.

Here's a good rules summary. If you have a BGG account, here's another rules summary.

YouTube also has some how to play videos such as this one, and this one. I agree that the rules are a bit dense when first opening the rule book, so these should help you out.

Printed out the two rules summaries. Gonna study them while I'm at work so I'm prepped and ready to go. Thanks

Dunno if anyone here cares about the deception ks but they just announced if they get to 225k they'll add a ks exclusive horror movie theme set of cards. Seems like it would be a pretty cool alternative based upon my understanding of how deception works.

EYEL1NER

I just played Blood Rage for the first time, a 5p game with 4 of us being new to the game. I had an absolute blast with it and am glad that Rising Sun will be coming to me. Now I get to go through the standard dilemma I have with CMoN games that I like: Do I buy the game and released expansions and try to forget that there is exclusive content, or do I say "I'll wait until I find a deal on someone selling a Kickstarter pledge with the exclusives for a reasonable price and probably wind up waiting forever?" I know the extra content isn't necessary to play/enjoy the game, but it triggers the 'completionist' Poke-master in me and makes me feel like I Gotta Catch 'em All!

Now that I've played Onirim, I should try the copy of Urbion that is sitting in my garage. I do t know if it is still hard-to-find but I know that when I got it for free due to a shipping snafu, it was going for quite a bit of money.

Karkador

Banned
Now that I've played Onirim, I should try the copy of Urbion that is sitting in my garage. I do t know if it is still hard-to-find but I know that when I got it for free due to a shipping snafu, it was going for quite a bit of money.

Urbion is the first one I played, actually, and it was TOUGH until it clicked and I started making some progress in the game. I think I also didn't understand one of the rules/abilities at first. I'm not sure if I've won the game more than a couple of times.....maybe only once. Let's just say, I've won more games of Death Angel than Urbion.

Keasar

You get version 1 or 2?

I think the first version was thicker and cheaper. I always wondered how the 2nd order was.

I think 2nd? The one that particular Kickstarter had. It's kinda thin but it does wonders making components and cards so much easier to handle. I am happy to have it as opposed to just a boring wooden table. :)

Experien

I am in love with Near and Far. I am awful at it, but it is a blast to play.

I think 2nd? The one that particular Kickstarter had. It's kinda thin but it does wonders making components and cards so much easier to handle. I am happy to have it as opposed to just a boring wooden table. :)

Got it, I got the first round, it is showing its age. Last night I it was showing its wear with some of the underside rubber pealing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So any KD:M fans still loving the game? I have a chance to pick a copy up (working on a price), but I'm not sure about it still.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I will just reiterate that we have played well over 100 hours of KD:M as a group and have not yet beaten the base campaign, or seen everything the base game has to offer. Add in the expansions that we have and we have well over 100 more hours as a group to spend with the game. I love it still, to answer your question lol

Top Bottom