• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
I dream of a Sherlock Holmes reprint some day, ideally with errata corrected. Until then, I wait.

In other news, by using some guaranteed lucky dice rolls and some useful cards, the solo Feast for Odin community has proven scores over 200 are technically possible. Of course, it's very unlikely.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I got to play through the first scenario in LOTR:The Card Game last night a couple of times with a couple of different starter decks. I know where all my money's going to be going...

Nezumi

Played a couple of rounds of Cthulu Wars over the weekend. We had the new Tcho Tcho faction and both times they won easily, so our first assessment is that they are pretty overpowered.

The worst part for me, when I tried them, was that I always felt that I had little choice in what I could do as the path was always too clear. We agreed that the only way to stop them is that the other players need to attack them earlier but the nature of the game would give whoever does this is a certain disantvantage, and if all other players would agree to doubled down on the Tcho Tcho it would mean that the faction would be thrown out so early that there is no chance of them ever coming back from it.

Is this sherlock game easy to play with casuals who aren't used to deeper games or is it for game night only?

It's very casual, it has almost no rules involved, its more of just a fun activity to do. But with newer people be prepared that a game can take a long time to play out depending on reading.

The one thing though, I would not play it as a party game or with people who are too casual that their minds wander alot, its a game were you gotta really be paying attention to details, it's all about story telling and listening for cues and clues. One mistake on listening can lead whole group down wrong rabbit hole.

ultron87

I thought that was announced for this yr

if it was I need to sell my copy ASAP since it is going for way more than a reprint would cost.

Yeah, it's for sure a thing. They put out the standalone expansion first, "Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures", and then are putting out the original with all the translations and stuff fixed super soon as "The Thames Murders and Other Cases". Supposed to have all the typos fixed. And the box and materials are nicer.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played a couple of rounds of Cthulu Wars over the weekend. We had the new Tcho Tcho faction and both times they won easily, so our first assessment is that they are pretty overpowered.

The worst part for me, when I tried them, was that I always felt that I had little choice in what I could do as the path was always too clear. We agreed that the only way to stop them is that the other players need to attack them earlier but the nature of the game would give whoever does this is a certain disantvantage, and if all other players would agree to doubled down on the Tcho Tcho it would mean that the faction would be thrown out so early that there is no chance of them ever coming back from it.

What is overpowered about them? What are their spellbooks if you dont mind typing out.

emag

Is this sherlock game easy to play with casuals who aren't used to deeper games or is it for game night only?

Certainly multiple people can listen to the story/descriptions and discuss the best course of action, but it's effectively a solitaire choose-your-own-adventure style mystery book with a map and a few other components.

zulux21

Yeah, it's for sure a thing. They put out the standalone expansion first, "Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures", and then are putting out the original with all the translations and stuff fixed super soon as "The Thames Murders and Other Cases". Supposed to have all the typos fixed. And the box and materials are nicer.

ah that is cool only new one I had heard about after the jack the ripper one was
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective – Carlton House & Queen's Park

now to decide if I care enough to sell my old copy to get a new one... I think we are through all the cases with horrible errors... though I am not sure if we finished case 6 or not.

Nezumi

What is overpowered about them? What are their spellbooks if you dont mind typing out.

Well, first there is their permanent ability to leech on everyone's rituals, that alone gives a lot of doom points.

As for spellbooks, there is the thing that you can get 3(!) of them in the first round without much of a caveat.

The requirements are:

Another player performs a ritual of annihalition OR another player has 15 doom points.

Earn an elder sign

Own three or more elder signs

As an action remove your controlled gate in your starting area

Any great old one is killed in battle.

Awaken Ubbo-Sathla

You can easily get 2,3 and 6 in the first round and still come out in the second action phase with enough power to hold your own. Just sacrifice your high priests which you will have enough because your spellbooks are:

Soulless (ongoing) When Captured and Sacrificed, your Cultists provide 0 Power (instead of the normal 1 Power).

Terror (pre-Battle) Choose one:
1) Your enemy’s Combat total is reduced by 1 per Proto-Shoggoth in the Battle.
2) Your Combat total is increased by 1 per Proto-Shoggoth in the Battle.

Martyrdom (post-Battle) If your High Priest is Killed, all other Kills inflicted on you in the Battle become Pains instead.

Idolatry (Action: Cost 1) Select an Area containing another Faction’s starting Glyph (even if that Faction is not in play). Move any
or all of your Units in adjacent Areas into the selected Area.

Hierophants (ongoing) When you earn any Spellbook (including this one), immediately place a free High Priest at one of your Gates. If you have no High Priests in your Pool, instead advance Ubbo-Sathla’s Growth counter by 1.

Tablets of the Gods (Doom phase) When you perform a Ritual of
Annihilation, you also receive 1 additional Elder Sign for each of your
High Priests in play. Then, Eliminate those High Priests. This is not optional.

Obviously you pick Hierophant first. Followed by Soulless and Martyrdom or Terror. I went with Martyrdom.

The thing is at this point you are already rather unattractive to be attacked by your enemies. Capturing your acolytes is worthless and as long as you have a high priest in position you are more or less unkillable.

The rest of your spellbooks are dependent of others more or less but in my experience they shouldn't be much trouble. The rule book states that you'll get all your spell books at the end of the fourth round earliest...which is bullshit. I got all of mine at the end of the second or third round. Idiolatry was my last and the only one I didn't use.

I actually had to not build a gate (even though I could have) just because I knew it would have put a huge target on my back. I waited a round to do it by which it was already to late for everyone else to stop me.

Basically my opening was:
- Recruit a high priest
- Move acolyte
- build gate
- remove gate (gain spell book +high priest)
- sacrifice high priest
- build gate

In doom phase summon great old one for free (oh yes, did I mention that, Ubbo-Sathla is free to summon in the doom phase you only need a high priest, which you'll get back immediately thanks to hierophants.)

Do a ritual of annihalition. No one does it this early, so it's still cheap and you get an elder sign, another spell book and another high priest.

In the last round I had five gates. At this point naturally everyone turned against me, but it was too late. True, I was lucky with my elder sign draws, but I won with a big enough margin that I still had room for some worse draws.

Edit: The second game we played the player using the Tcho Tcho made much worse use of hierophants and still managed to win just thanks to the Hell Banquet (when a player does a ritual of annihalition he can either give you one doom point or receive one less.)) unique ability and Tablet of the Gods.

Overpowered might be a strong word, but they certainly mess with the game balance and not in a good way.

I really need to stop watching dice tower videos they're flooding my boad game backlog with stuff I want to get

Time stories and it's expansions
Blood rage
Fury of dracula

And they're all so freaking expensive :|

EYEL1NER

Hey guys,

The board game of our upcoming video game got unveiled. I'm not sure how much I can actually talk about at the moment, but here is the link to the page.

https://academygames.com/aom
Cool deal. I'll definitely be interested to see more info on it when some releases. I'm a big Saint's Row fan so the video game is on my radar. Board games that have a 3D element to them (FFG's Horus Heresy, Runewars 1E) or have buildings that have actual verticality (Burgle Bros with the tower, Zombie Tower 3D) always interest me.

zulux21

I really need to stop watching dice tower videos they're flooding my boad game backlog with stuff I want to get

Time stories and it's expansions
Blood rage
Fury of dracula

And they're all so freaking expensive :|

time stories I would recommend trying to talk a group into buying with you.
it has almost no replay value so you will want to play it with a group anyways.

its a shame you just discovered fury now. it was on sale on a lot of places a few months back, but now is going up in price, and not likely to go down any time soon. FF lost the license to the game, so they can't print it, but I think FF owns the mechanics to the game, so games workshop likely can't easily find someone else to publish it. it will likely only keep going up in price.

I've put on hold the idea of buying LOTR LCG, still not convinced after reading that with the starter and some expansions you'll still have a thin deck (30ish cards) and apparently that's not good.

I'll buy Elder Signs though.

Also, do you know if the pathfinder app is a good representation of the physical game?

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone played Mintworks? I just got sucked into buying it for $15 after seeing someone recommend it for tiny solitaire play. It's 1-4 players, very short 10-20 minutes playing time, and seems like a nice light filler game. It comes in a tiny mint box.

I think there's a free print and play version if anyone wants to try it.

Keasar

Has anyone played Mintworks? I just got sucked into buying it for $15 after seeing someone recommend it for tiny solitaire play. It's 1-4 players, very short 10-20 minutes playing time, and seems like a nice light filler game. It comes in a tiny mint box.

I have it, it's very delightful and my relatives got completely enamoured by it's adorable design with the tiny mint shaped discs. It's quite an easy and quick worker placement game with enough cards to provide some variety over time. Nothing mind-blowing I thought but I think it was a very nice game for its size and price.

time stories I would recommend trying to talk a group into buying with you.
it has almost no replay value so you will want to play it with a group anyways.

its a shame you just discovered fury now. it was on sale on a lot of places a few months back, but now is going up in price, and not likely to go down any time soon. FF lost the license to the game, so they can't print it, but I think FF owns the mechanics to the game, so games workshop likely can't easily find someone else to publish it. it will likely only keep going up in price.

So buy third edition sooner then later? Good to know thanks

ultron87

Driving to Columbus for Origins at lunch! Yay. Don't have any events planned except for trying out Watson and Holmes. Mostly just planning to play stuff out of the game library for most of the time.

KiKaL

I picked it up a month ago or so. My wife and I play a lot of games at breweries so the small size is great. We have only played 4 or so times but so far I have enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's the best game ever but it's a great game to bring around and easily set up and play. The rules are very simple too which makes it easy to teach new players.

zulux21

I've put on hold the idea of buying LOTR LCG, still not convinced after reading that with the starter and some expansions you'll still have a thin deck (30ish cards) and apparently that's not good.

I'll buy Elder Signs though.

Also, do you know if the pathfinder app is a good representation of the physical game?

the pathfinder app is a good representation of the physical card game.

So buy third edition sooner then later? Good to know thanks
if you have to have it, yeah sadly that would be the recommendation as it seems like if there ever is actually a way to reprint it, it likely won't be for a while and will likely have to require a number of revisions to the game.

my recommendation would be to check around your local stores.
check https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-fury-of-dracula-third-edition/29418840?ean=0841333100582 and see if you get lucky ect.

it hasn't been sold out for that long so you might still get lucky.

if you have to have it, yeah sadly that would be the recommendation as it seems like if there ever is actually a way to reprint it, it likely won't be for a while and will likely have to require a number of revisions to the game.

check https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-fury-of-dracula-third-edition/29418840?ean=0841333100582 and see if you get lucky ect.

Will have to try when I get home can't get it to work on my phone. Thanks for the suggestion!

KJ869

I picked it up a month ago or so. My wife and I play a lot of games at breweries so the small size is great. We have only played 4 or so times but so far I have enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's the best game ever but it's a great game to bring around and easily set up and play. The rules are very simple too which makes it easy to teach new players.
Its quick little game, most of the time the win seems slightly random. Its so short that combos rule if you get lucky

check https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toy...=0841333100582 and see if you get lucky ect.

An hour drive 1 way to a place that has it in stock

Hmm

I think I'll just pay a bit extra for a new/used copy off amazon or bgg. I want the game for my collection, but it's hard to rush out to buy expensive board games when it's hard for me to get anyone around her to play anything with me :|

zulux21

An hour drive 1 way to a place that has it in stock

Hmm

I think I'll just pay a bit extra for a new/used copy off amazon or bgg. I want the game for my collection, but it's hard to rush out to buy expensive board games when it's hard for me to get anyone around her to play anything with me :|

I can get that. I always forget to check BBG for stuff :p
I should figure out math trades sometime or locate a trade meet up since I have like 40-50 games to trade lol.

I can get that. I always forget to check BBG for stuff :p
I should figure out math trades sometime or locate a trade meet up since I have like 40-50 games to trade lol.

Bgg has some pretty decent prices if you're willing to dig through their market place. Obviously you take a bit more of a risk but I feel the people who are this deep into the board game world to be b/s/t on bgg probably keep their stuff in good condition.

fenners

Bgg has some pretty decent prices if you're willing to dig through their market place. Obviously you take a bit more of a risk but I feel the people who are this deep into the board game world to be b/s/t on bgg probably keep their stuff in good condition.

Personally, I've had good luck buying/selling via the BGG marketplace. I prefer sellers with pics, mind you, and I know when I list with pics, they sell faster. Prices can be funky. A lot of people regard their games as special snowflakes & expect to sell for retail, even when used.

Chris R

Wait, that was revealed months ago. Means season 1 is pointless.
Doesn't mean it's pointless, just that whatever result you got in season 1 doesn't really matter for season 2.

I can't wait for season 2 even if my groups score for season 1 was lower than I thought it should have been :(

Experien

I would be excited if Season 1 hadn't been too cumbersome for solo play. :/

I know many have played it solo but I found it became too heavy 3/4 of the way through the campaign.

It was cumbersome for two players. It left an awful taste in my mouth that I probably will never play a Pandemic game again. Having your end result not count is icing on the cake.

Aaron

Is there any particular kickstarter worth attention?
The expansion for Deception if you liked the original:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152730994/deception-undercover-allies-0

It's about to hit the special box to hold both games goal. My group plays this pretty much every week. We've gotten so good at it that the murder almost never gets away with it. But we started playing with the accomplice variant that's coming in the expansion, and it's been a huge help.

The expansion for Deception if you liked the original:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cover-allies-0

It's about to hit the special box to hold both games goal. My group plays this pretty much every week. We've gotten so good at it that the murder almost never gets away with it. But we started playing with the accomplice variant that's coming in the expansion, and it's been a huge help.

Oh for sure jumping in on this, I've heard nothing of praise for this and it's as good of a chance to jump in as any.

Aaron

Oh for sure jumping in on this, I've heard nothing of praise for this and it's as good of a chance to jump in as any.
Yeah Deception is amazing. I can't recommend it enough, especially for larger groups. We play with a few house rules, like choosing the forensic scientist so no one feels stuck with it, and enforcing a rule of complete silence once the seventh clue is revealed. The tension around the table when people who still have a guess must choose without talking about this game deciding decision is unequaled.

Lords of Hellas is getting some traction, but it's an unknown quantity with pretty miniatures. Hard to judge on this one, but if you're into dudes on a map and area control, it may be worth a look. Not backing it myself, but am keen on seeing how it pans out.

This looks cool, but I feel from watch reviews of these kinds of games it's so hard to tell if a game is good/bad even if someone has a track record. The massive figures are really damn sweet though. It just sucks to miss out on ks exclusive crap if it does end up being good since then you play scalper hunting them down.

Yeah Deception is amazing. I can't recommend it enough, especially for larger groups. We play with a few house rules, like choosing the forensic scientist so no one feels stuck with it, and enforcing a rule of complete silence once the seventh clue is revealed. The tension around the table when people who still have a guess must choose without talking about this game deciding decision is unequaled.

Considering the forensic scientist essentially plays dm I can get how someone uncomfortbale with that role shouldn't be forced into it since it could break the game.

Top Bottom