• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

Nice. I'm not saying that my email made them change their mind, but I did write them an email a while back when the Muslim ban first happened saying that they really should reverse their convention-only exclusivity on the Secret Trump role card. I said that the stickers in the Kickstarter package were a nice touch but many people don't want to deface their game. I suggested that they could put them up online and donate a portion or all of their profits to one of the groups in need of assistance during these times. I posted on BGG that I had sent that message to them and got some thumbs; I have to assume others messaged them about such a thing as well.
Glad to see they are available, though that Trump card looks markedly worse than the first one, I would rather have one without the mouths in place of eyes. Maybe I'll get two packs and stick my Trump sticker over one of the Trump cards, that way I'll have one of the original style cards.

EDIT: Just ordered one. Shipping was $3-something. I'll be honest, I've still never even been able to play my copy. Even if I never get to open these cards and slip them into the game box, it's still $8.XX to the ACLU and I don't mind that. And lol, I love that the item name on the order is "Donald Trump Expansion Made in China."

panty

Yay I found a copy of Inis in Europe and I ordered it.

Amyone backed the Lords of Hellas in KS? It's climbing pretty rapidly.

fenners

Amyone backed the Lords of Hellas in KS? It's climbing pretty rapidly.

I'm tempted.

I like "dudes on a map" games, and my buddies do too, but we've played & owned a bunch over the years, which makes it hard for something new to get into our slow rotation of favourites. Meaning it might get one or two plays & then get ignored, even if it's solid.

But the pre-painted minis look good, This War of Mine is good, so I'm interested. Need to watch videos, read rules, see if it's got strong potential to stick around. I threw in a pledge, but no guarantee it stays.

EYEL1NER

A Deception: Murder in Hong Kong expansion just went live on Kickstarter. I liked the base game when I tried it and figured I'd go in for a pledge that included the base game, but they want almost $90 for the base game, expansion, and a bunch of promo packs. I'll pass and hope it is cheap at retail. Then again I've put off getting base Deception because I look at that $29.99 price tag ($39.99 retail!) and think "This doesn't have that much more going for it component-wise than a lot of other well-liked group deduction games and most of those run less than $20. Pass." Maybe one day I'll find a good deal on it.

It was great weekend and I got to play several new games (well new to me).

e8RgKtV.jpg
I actually hesitant to play this game as I heard it usually take a long time and I was really not keen on learning another Fantasy Flight Game with way too many chits and tokens. The game actually surprise me and I really enjoyed it. It also was about the right length (at least at what we set the end game to be). We were suppose to play with four but a guy bail on us (may be all the board and pieces scared him off).

This one I brought to the MeetUp since we usually ended up needing filler game that can play 5-6 people while we wait for more people to come. However this week the group was smaller and they already have a game going so I got some late comer and we played 3-player game of Ethnos. It was enjoyable and quick when the other group finished we played 5 players game and most enjoy it though a few grumbling about card draw being unfair. The board is kind of plain but the card arts are nice and the game give off that retro 70's board game look. Thought I do agree that the theme and the art really not helping selling this game especially to the casual gamer. The game is perfect gateway game and sort of area control Ticket to Ride with interesting scoring mechanic. I would highly recommended this if you are looking for something easy and quick.

One of the person at the MeetUp ended up with two copies of Yokohama and she gave me the extra copy which I was surprised and grateful. We played it the next day at another MeetUp we both go to. The game looked super busy and confusing but it was actually a breeze to learn and play once you figured out all the icons. It's a worker movement game sort of like Istanbul but without the race part. It am not sure how good the game is long term and will have to play it a few more time to see. I pick up on one of the strategy and easily out score the other three people at the table (we were all new to the game) and got me wondering if that was the sure path to victory or if I was just lucky.

After Yokohama we went with older game that got reprint Aumun-Re by Rainer Knizia.. I don't typically enjoy auction game but it seem people in this particular MeetUp love this type of games. I thought the game was OK but partly could be influence by the fact that I don't care much for game with auction mechanic. I also found scoring to be sort of confusing and that the card you draw can really affect how much you score.

Over the weekend I also finished Zombicide BP with my niece who really love this game. My problem with many of the Zcide games is by the end you usually sort of know if you are either going to make it or get over-run by zombies. We did still have a lot of fun

My daughter and I also went on another mission in Gloomhaven. Our game has slowed down a bit due to her end of the year school work but the game is still a lot of fun and we always excited to move to pick the next mission. I have a feeling my guy is close to retirement.

Blizzard

Banned
It was great weekend and I got to play several new games (well new to me).
What's the first game?

Also, I forgot to mention that that Oh My Goods continued to be balanced. With 4 players we had something like 22, 23, 23, 26. With 3 players we had 25, 26, 26 (and the first two players were apparently tied even with the tiebreaker).

What's the first game?

Also, I forgot to mention that that Oh My Goods continued to be balanced. With 4 players we had something like 22, 23, 23, 26. With 3 players we had 25, 26, 26 (and the first two players were apparently tied even with the tiebreaker).
Merchant of Venus 2nd edition

panty

I'm tempted.

I like "dudes on a map" games, and my buddies do too, but we've played & owned a bunch over the years, which makes it hard for something new to get into our slow rotation of favourites. Meaning it might get one or two plays & then get ignored, even if it's solid.

But the pre-painted minis look good, This War of Mine is good, so I'm interested. Need to watch videos, read rules, see if it's got strong potential to stick around. I threw in a pledge, but no guarantee it stays.
What dudes om a map games do you usually play?

What sort of games do they like? Big box, small box, genre, thematic, strategic, etc.? Does it have to cost 30 or can it be less?

We play a lot of combat based games.

Here is our collection.

Staples:
DND 5e
Descent

Other games we play:
Pandemic
Warhammer Quest CCG
Boss Monster
Super Dungeon Explorers
Krosmasters
Munchkin
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Rivit Wars

We also take the occasional detour into MtG.

Blizzard

Banned
We play a lot of combat based games.
I reach deep into my magical board game advice hat, and pull out...*rustle*...

• Budget option, I'm not sure, but if you want to branch out of your genres a bit you could try Valley of the Kings ($14-19, tiny competitive deckbuilder, each expansion is standalone), Biblios ($20, small box auction game), or Tiny Epic Galaxies ($30 tiny competitive tableau / resource management).
  • Midrange opition, Burgle Bros, $37 USD. It's a small box heist game for 1-4 players. You play different classes and cooperate to sneak around a building, rob it, and escape without being caught.
  • Luxury option, Millennium Blades, roughly $55 USD for the base set. Since you've played MTG you should all appreciate the sort of references that are included, and there's also a less complicated boss fight co-op mode. It's a collectible card game simulator with a hectic real-time phase where everyone scrambles to build decks.

fenners

What dudes om a map games do you usually play?

We're big on civ-like experiences, so the ones that have stood through time for us are in the dudes-on-a-map genre, with a focus on empire building - Rise of Empire, Antike, Blood Rage, Mare Nostrum, Game of Thrones, War of the Ring, Struggle of Empires, Starcraft.

It's rare that some of them get to the table these days, but they're the ones that new dudes-on-a-map get compared to in my group.

Experien

I know Undead Viking's whole business is Kickstarter "Reviews" but does he ever have negative videos? Eventually comes across not in the best light if he mainly does KS and everything is positive.

They changed artists at one point, if that matters to you.

Also, you can use Mysterium cards with Dixit, so I would recommend just getting a whole new game :p

Not like this D:

This sounds so cool, adding it to the list!

A change in artist doesn't really concern me unless there is a salvador dali esque set of cards which would be a must have.

Experien

I already hate the theme of Secret Hitler and the discussion it produces. Putting Trump in somehow makes it even worse.

It is the new CAH. Just so people can "lul" scream out that you are a facist/hitler. I've been in games where people didn't even get to play the game. And it seems way too easy for the facist to win, wonder if it is designed that way for more "lulz"

When you're paid to review something...

I figured as much. Don't see much diversity in reviews out there.

KiKaL

It is the new CAH. Just so people can "lul" scream out that you are a facist/hitler. I've been in games where people didn't even get to play the game. And it seems way too easy for the facist to win, wonder if it is designed that way for more "lulz"

It must depend on who you play with, the 2-3 groups I have played Secret Hitler with have all had the same feeling of playing something like One Night Ultimate Werewolf. The only laughing comes from when some reveal they were a fascist and no one expected it. The game could be called fairy princess and the funny stories would have played out the same. In the 8 games I have played it's about 5 wins for liberals and 3 for fascist but that, of course, is a super small sample size.

I will agree that them making this Trump pack seems like it will really set the game up to be exactly how you described.

Karkador

Banned
I think Secret Hitler is a MUCH better game than CAH. It fits into the hidden role game collection of Resistance, BSG, Shadows over Camelot, etc....

BUT, it is clunkier than those games, because the random card draw (and the small deck) often turns the game into a pretty strict card counting affair.

Spookie

I know Undead Viking's whole business is Kickstarter "Reviews" but does he ever have negative videos? Eventually comes across not in the best light if he mainly does KS and everything is positive.

I've always assumed hes a shill and avoid his videos like the plague. How can you "review" a game which is still a prototype?

I've always assumed hes a shill and avoid his videos like the plague. How can you "review" a game which is still a prototype?

If you play prototypes all the time and aren't a shill you can say if what you seen of the unfinished game gives you confidence in the final game being good or bad. In the context of ks you could say if the game in question is worth backing now, maybe back now depending upon if they plan to fix issues the tester found in the prototype, or avoid hard.

Karkador

Banned
If you play prototypes all the time and aren't a shill you can say if what you seen of the unfinished game gives you confidence in the final game being good or bad. In the context of ks you could say if the game in question is worth backing now, maybe back now depending upon if they plan to fix issues the tester found in the prototype, or avoid hard.

Usually people who review prototypes are called playtesters. I just find that as a marketing tactic to be pretty disingenuous. "You should back it, because they said they would fix it" is really disingenuous. You don't know if the 'fix' is actually going to work.

Usually people who review prototypes are called playtesters. I just find that as a marketing tactic to be pretty disingenuous. "You should back it, because they said they would fix it" is really disingenuous. You don't know if the 'fix' is actually going to work.

That's fair. When I said "will be fixed" it was more a case of "is there some balance issues that's still being worked on" where someone could say "xyz is over powered but they're working to balance/fix this for the final game" vs "this is a bad/broken mechanic that the game is built around, they've said they'll fix it but I don't see how they can without redesigning the game". The former if that's an issue with a game is something I'd be willing to take a chance on being fine tuned before the final release, the latter is something I'd not ks and just wait and see.

My dudes, Ethnos is my favorite game I've played so far this year. Really solid stuff that I can't get enough of.

He started out doing normal reviews and it was enjoyable, really long, but enjoyable. Then he did nothing but Kickstarter videos and I tuned out. I know there was a dust up over his LOAD video and people started to call him out on his "reviews". Now he works for Tasty Minstrel not sure if he still does videos.

Neverfade

My dudes, Ethnos is my favorite game I've played so far this year. Really solid stuff that I can't get enough of.

Oh man, now I have to pay attention to it. Brb, watching a vid...

Edit: Seems pretty cool. That ugly ass map turned me off at first glance, hence why I wasn't paying attention to it. Is there ever any movement of pieces once placed on the map?

EYEL1NER

My Onirim win percentage after just winning my third game is 10.3%. Definitely not as easy of a game to play solo as say, Space Hulk Death Angel.

Oh man, now I have to pay attention to it. Brb, watching a vid...

Edit: Seems pretty cool. That ugly ass map turned me off at first glance, hence why I wasn't paying attention to it. Is there ever any movement of pieces once placed on the map?
Nope the pieces are static. Hell, you only ever get to put one piece on the board per band played. I'm mainly drawn to how smooth and fast it plays. Turns go quick, either draw a card or play a set of cards in front of you called a band. That's pretty much it, but in that simple framework there are really clever design choices that lead to some interesting interactions.

There are also way more races in the box than you would play in one game, so the replayability is high. Just ignore the boring looking board and the lame graphic design.

Experien

He started out doing normal reviews and it was enjoyable, really long, but enjoyable. Then he did nothing but Kickstarter videos and I tuned out. I know there was a dust up over his LOAD video and people started to call him out on his "reviews". Now he works for Tasty Minstrel not sure if he still does videos.

He is still doing videos because his are always in the "review" section of these games on KS. Never fully enjoyed his videos cause he seemed to drone on and on about it but I think I am the same way. So if he can catch a following, maybe I should too?

What was the issue with his LOAD video or whatever went down?

Neverfade

Nope the pieces are static. Hell, you only ever get to put one piece on the board per band played. I'm mainly drawn to how smooth and fast it plays. Turns go quick, either draw a card or play a set of cards in front of you called a band. That's pretty much it, but in that simple framework there are really clever design choices that lead to some interesting interactions.

There are also way more races in the box than you would play in one game, so the replayability is high. Just ignore the boring looking board and the lame graphic design.

Yeah, I think it could have been worked to not even have a map at all in that case. I might have to toss it in an order anyway. Reminds me of a more indepth Guildhall, kinda.

Made a BGG account since if I'm gonna be sucked into this world I guess I should do a better job of keeping track of my collection. Trying to score games on a 1-10 scale is really hard since for the most part I've never really played many board games enough to think of them with that critical eye.

XShagrath

Made a BGG account since if I'm gonna be sucked into this world I guess I should do a better job of keeping track of my collection. Trying to score games on a 1-10 scale is really hard since for the most part I've never really played many board games enough to think of them with that critical eye.
I have very few of my games ranked. I don't think it really matters in the long run, unless you just like the data.

Also, you can use decimal values, so really it's 0.00 - 10.00. Just in case, you didn't have enough to worry about. Now, you can rank a game 9.10 if it's just a little better than a 9, but not a 10.

I have very few of my games ranked. I don't think it really matters in the long run, unless you just like the data.

Also, you can use decimal values, so really it's 0.00 - 10.00. Just in case, you didn't have enough to worry about. Now, you can rank a game 9.10 if it's just a little better than a 9, but not a 10.

Fair enough

Pre-Ordered the deluxe edition of Tiny Epic Quest since I missed the KS, I assume the Deluxe edition still comes with the "KS Exclusive mini expansion" like what Tiny Epic BTB did?

emag

Remember, the BGG scale is ostensibly based on how likely you are to play the game again (and recommend the game to be played when the opportunity arises):

10 - always willing to play & would suggest (whenever applicable)
9 - very much enjoy playing & would suggest
8 - enjoy playing & would suggest
7 - usually willing to play (but would not suggest)
6 - would play if in the mood (but would not suggest)
2 - won't ever play again (i.e., would refuse)
1 - not a game

It's more a measure of your enthusiasm for the game than any [faux-]objective score.

Remember, the BGG scale is ostensibly based on how likely you are to play the game again (and recommend the game to be played when the opportunity arises):

10 - always willing to play & would suggest (whenever applicable)
9 - very much enjoy playing & would suggest
8 - enjoy playing & would suggest
7 - usually willing to play (but would not suggest)
6 - would play if in the mood (but would not suggest)
2 - won't ever play again (i.e., would refuse)
1 - not a game

It's more a measure of your enthusiasm for the game than any [faux-]objective score.

Gotcha, seems like they should have a 5 point scale then

5 Will play anytime, everytime, highly recommend
4 Enjoyable, would play again, recommend
3 Would play if in the mood would not suggest
2 Likely will not play again don't recommend
1 Garbage

But thanks for the clarification, makes sense why the scores seem to so heavily average in the 5-7 range

zeeaykay

10s and 1s are all you need anyway.

10s for Inis and WOTR, 1s for everything else.
Can agree on Inis. Still looking to get my first play of War of the Ring going with my significant other. Colored the bases of all the free people's. Will try to treat our first game as a thematic journey and rules learning experience, and not care much about winning/losing or helping each other out.

EYEL1NER

I stopped rating my games on BGG after only a few. My Collection on there is pretty much used to keep track of what I have and how many times I played any of them. I figure that I know how well I like any given game on that list and if I give the link to anyone in my game group or anything so they can see what I have, well they already know I'm pretty much down to play anything. Maybe I'll go through and rate stuff at some point down the line but I don't take too many chances on unknown games or things I know nothing about and the things I tend to buy are things I know I'll like, so it'll probably just be full of games rated 8, 9, or 10 (and then Sentinals of the Multiverse still sitting at 4).

ಠ_ಠ Is this opposite day?

Not that I think Onirim is an easy game just... Death Angel.
SH:DA isn't easy and it can be brutal but it definitely feels easier than Onirim to me. I think my win ratio for SH:DA is better than 10%.
I'm not gonna accuse the devs of the app of doing a bad job of doing the randomization for shuffling, just that I think that maybe my quick shuffling with a physical deck would be worse and less-random than the app, so maybe the actual boxed game might feel easier to me.

I stopped rating my games on BGG after only a few. My Collection on there is pretty much used to keep track of what I have and how many times I played any of them. I figure that I know how well I like any given game on that list and if I give the link to anyone in my game group or anything so they can see what I have, well they already know I'm pretty much down to play anything. Maybe I'll go through and rate stuff at some point down the line but I don't take too many chances on unknown games or things I know nothing about and the things I tend to buy are things I know I'll like, so it'll probably just be full of games rated 8, 9, or 10 (and then Sentinals of the Multiverse still sitting at 4).

Yeah, for the most part my ratings based upon a guess of it's quality did reflect how much I'd actually want to play them/recommend them. Only real change was Pixel Tactics which jumped to a 10 cause I could play that game all day. Originally gave it a 7 since the mix of decision paralysis and how deck building isn't viable unless everyone is really knowledgeable of all the cards.

Top Bottom