• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

XShagrath

I'm interested but I'm hold back by the fact that apparently: you need to buy the expansions, so the price goes up , and after the first one/two plays the replay value is less since you already flipped the cards and discovered the mysteries. Or so I've read.
While you do need to continually buy expansions to keep up, it's not super expensive. Think of it as episodic gaming or DLC, as it's pretty much the same concept.

As for replayability, I've gone through the core campaign at least six times now, and I'm still not tired of it. In fact, I went through it again yesterday. Using different characters and decks keeps it interesting. On top of that, they often have multiple versions of the different locations you go to, so there is a lot of variability between plays of the same scenario.

While you do need to continually buy expansions to keep up, it's not super expensive. Think of it as episodic gaming or DLC, as it's pretty much the same concept.

As for replayability, I've gone through the core campaign at least six times now, and I'm still not tired of it. In fact, I went through it again yesterday. Using different characters and decks keeps it interesting. On top of that, they often have multiple versions of the different locations you go to, so there is a lot of variability between plays of the same scenario.

How long is a campaign? 1 hour?

emag

I've been trying to find some older games that have stuck around and still get lots of praise. I recently picked up High Society and I think that game is super fun. Knizia auction game where you are bidding on luxury items but if you have the least amount of money at the end you can't win. Very simple idea but it makes the auctions pretty tense and it's fun to play into the theme. What older (like 10+ years) games do you guys still like playing?

Most of the games I regularly play are 10+ years old, although we attempt to bring hot new games into the rotation every so often (they rarely last more than a couple plays).

Knizia's Ra and Medici are all still fantastic streamlined auction games. Ra and Medici are very easy to teach and similar in play, although I feel Ra plays best with 3 and Medici with 5-6. Knizia's Amun Re doesn't hit the table as often as it's a more complex game and kind of gets lost in the sea of more recent auction+stuff games.

Likewise, Knizia's Kingdoms is still our most-played filler. It's a simple tile-laying game (a la Carc) with emergent alliances and lots of take-that (we affectionately refer to the game as "Dragon Screw").

Outside of Knizia, often-played classics include Imperial (investment banking + World War I; probably my group's most-played longer game), The Princes of Florence (auctions + Tetris), and, of course, Race for the Galaxy (simultaneous action selection + tableau building). Transamerica (very light shared network builder) also remains a popular filler. I still love Age of Steam, too, but it's not popular in my main group and has too steep a learning curve for casual play at larger events.

chifanpoe

I think there's also a little self-selection bias to some of BGG's top games. Games like Gloomhaven, a sprawling, expensive, KS-exclusive dungeon crawl are only going to get played and rated by a niche audience more likely to rate them highly.

I got my copy of Gloomhaven retail. It was $84, to me that is not expensive, especially when compared to other forms of entertainment. (2 adult, 2 child tickets to see Wonder Woman yesterday was $42)

chifanpoe

Have any of you that aren't so hot on Terraforming Mars tried it with the card drafting variant? It definitely cuts down on the random swinginess.

I certainly don't think it's #8 of all time, but it's a fun game. If someone busts it out at gaming night, I won't turn it down.

I was also going to suggest drafting in Terraforming Mars. It is the way my group plays (we also use drafting in Agricola and Race for the Galaxy).

Played another game of Pandemic: The Cure and lost yet again. :( I don't think I like it and prefer regular Pandemic.

I want to like dice games but I think my intuitive sense of probability is lacking. Really need to print out a probability table or something.

panty

Played my first game of Inis today and damn was it good. 4p game and it lasted almost 2 hours. Need to hunt and buy it.

Played another game of Pandemic: The Cure and lost yet again. :( I don't think I like it and prefer regular Pandemic.

I want to like dice games but I think my intuitive sense of probability is lacking. Really need to print out a probability table or something.

It is a very swingy game. You either start good and crush it or get completely destroyed.

Experien

I haven't bought a new board game in months. My current count is around 150 board and card games that cover pretty much every genre and sub genre in the hobby. Nothing new has really called out to me. My backlog is huge too. I think I can slowly work through what I have over the next few years with family and friends. Is anyone else in a lull too?

I am kind of in the same boat outside a Kickstarter and Century: Spice Road. Looking at something exciting but not finding it. This lull is enjoyment because I am trying to focus on and play a bunch of games I own already.

Karkador

Banned

The probabilities of the disease dice are printed on the regions (the colored bands).

The other probability issue is that there are 12 dice of each color - so you should have a pretty good idea of what's likely to come out of the bag, based on what you count already out, and that gives you some idea of what's more of a priority to treat.

When you roll dice to find a cure, you're free to try every turn, but you should aim to have like 4-5 dice to have a better chance of succeeding (one of the colors is harder to cure).

I really try to keep the quarantine area clear, because that many dice coming out all at once and re-infecting is devastating. On the other hand, every infection die roll has a chance of getting you some bonus actions.

I haven't bought a new board game in months. My current count is around 150 board and card games that cover pretty much every genre and sub genre in the hobby. Nothing new has really called out to me. My backlog is huge too. I think I can slowly work through what I have over the next few years with family and friends. Is anyone else in a lull too?

Very much so, as well. All the games I'm excited for atm are updates to games I already have and love (CO2 and Aeon's End), and maybe the rerelease of Making of the President?

Blizzard

Banned
Ember Mage Nights is supposed to ship soon. Did anyone else back it? I picked the kitchen sink thing since I'm new to the game and am gambling that it's good. :p

Bii

I feel like a baby compared to some of you guys. I just started playing board games a year and a half ago, and own 35 or so, 10 of which have yet to be played. There's so much out there that I need to find the 'right' group of people to play with before I purchase them.

With the recent restock of Arkham Horror LCG, I bought one core set so the lady and I can play together. I'll buy more expansions and/or core sets if we end up liking it and would want to introduce it to our family/friends.

Karkador

Banned
I pre-ordered John Company over the weekend. I think it looks different enough to justify a spot in my collection. I love games where there is a system to manipulate as well as interaction with other players.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211716/john-company

It's only 39 Euros to pre-order now from Sierra Madre Games, so I figured I would grab it.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the rules to see what it's about. No luck yet.

chifanpoe

Big Trouble in Little China The Game - Pre-oders are up. Deluxe Version $115 shipped in the US. No rule book up yet..

https://bigtroublegame.com/

Hopefully an early copy or two will hit reviewers. I love the movie but $111 just bought me Antiquity instead. With no rulebook or play through videos I will hold off.

XShagrath

LKi3cZm.jpg

I'm running out of space! I already have a shelf in the closet completely full of games that I have on the chopping block. I really don't want to get rid of anything else though. There are going to be some difficult decisions made later this year.

Big Trouble in Little China The Game - Pre-oders are up. Deluxe Version $115 shipped in the US. No rule book up yet..

Hopefully an early copy or two will hit reviewers. I love the movie but $111 just bought me Antiquity instead. With no rulebook or play through videos I will hold off.

Oh god. That art is super good and really appeals to me. Oh man.. The game seems legit, but who can know?

I liked it but....

A. there is a solid app for it that is much cheaper than the physical board game.
B. Aside from the joy of rolling dice the arkham horror card game beats elder signs in pretty much every way for me.

Yeah but with the actual game you can easily play with more people, not sure with the app.
For point B, I was looking at Elder Sign since I wanted a nice Dice game, so yeah the rolling dice was basically the primary choice. Are there better dice games? I've seen Masmorra that seems quite nice

Ryuukan

Is anyone here backing the Roll Player kickstarter?

for people who have played the original, how kid friendly is it in regards to both rules and artwork

joelseph

Played 2 of Terraforming Mars Yesterday. 1st game was a 2 player no draft. I won with a heavy green strat with the Earth discount corp. No contest, other player was learning the game.

Game 2 was much more interesting. 3 player no draft. I played UMNI and won a close game with no green cards, and no resource production.

In the 10 games I have played I have yet to not hit a engine naturally and every game has featured different victory engines.

sneaky77

It's dope. Coops are probably my least favorite type of game and I still really like it. Base game is pretty easy stuff. Expansions are great, and will make it harder.

ONE OF US.

I love that the expansions just replace the adventure deck, the last two have been more thematic too, pretty awesome stuff

Palmer_v1

Is anyone here backing the Roll Player kickstarter?

for people who have played the original, how kid friendly is it in regards to both rules and artwork

Artwork is fine, I think? At worst, there's some standard fantasy tropes of the female characters wearing someone less than practical armor, but even then it's not overblown.

For rules, it's a little more complicated since there's a drafting/bidding phase, with a lot of cards that can change the rules for your character. If your kid could make an ACTUAL P&P RPG character, they could play this game easily.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yeah but with the actual game you can easily play with more people, not sure with the app.
For point B, I was looking at Elder Sign since I wanted a nice Dice game, so yeah the rolling dice was basically the primary choice. Are there better dice games? I've seen Masmorra that seems quite nice

Masmorra is really fun. Easy to learn and teach as well. I like it a lot more than Elder Sign and that is without even trying the cooperative mode. I do have all the KS exclusive stuff though, so it probably makes a little difference. Lot more heroes and monster types to play with.

chifanpoe

second game of clank, son destroyed me by over 20 points

he was fighting up a storm and moving a lot thanks to buying up all the best boot items before I could

Nice! Just picked up a cheap copy. Hopefully have it by this weekend so I can teach my kids. Look forward to them kicking my butt as well!

Emarv

Every so often I think about buying the BTiLC Legendary deck-building game but never bite. This I'm all in on.

fenners

Masmorra is really fun. Easy to learn and teach as well. I like it a lot more than Elder Sign and that is without even trying the cooperative mode. I do have all the KS exclusive stuff though, so it probably makes a little difference. Lot more heroes and monster types to play with.

The few times I played it, there seemed to be far more confusion about the tile rules than I expected, especially traps.

joelseph

I'm running out of space! I already have a shelf in the closet completely full of games that I have on the chopping block. I really don't want to get rid of anything else though. There are going to be some difficult decisions made later this year.

Nice Shelf. CV needs more love, great game.

Blizzard

Banned
I taught someone else Oh My Goods today, and I think I finally have a solid teaching pattern. It helped that they were a math major who learns things quickly though.

1. Prepare by having 3 example cards for different production chain setups. 1 example card that takes a resource and makes a 2-coin good, 1 example card that takes charcoal + a resource, and 1 example card that takes 2 goods.

2. Tell players to only pay attention to the cog and the coin at the bottom of a card. Explain that each card is a building, and buildings make goods.

3. Explain facedown cards represent goods. Put 4 facedown cards on charburner, ask how many goods? (people say 4)

4. What is each good? Explain the symbol in the gear, so you have 4 charcoal.

5. Explain each good is worth coins, shown under the gear. How many coins? (people say 4) Use another card as an example, e.g. 3 cards on flour building for 2 coins each, how many coins? (people say 6)

6. Explain squares on right are resources feeding production chains, which let you produce more goods. Give example of playing wood from hand on starter building.

7. Explain gears on right are goods feeding production chains. Give example of a building with charcoal from table + card from hand, and show that it produces 2 goods on the building. Calculate the coin gain (e.g. 1 coin to 4 coins).

8. Give example of a building with two production goods driving the chain. Remind everyone that BOTH goods are required.

9. Explain that these chains are nice, but there is a catch. The symbols on the left have to kickstart production before a chain can activate. Those symbols can come from your hand or from the market.

10. But what's the market? At this point, you can start the first round. Mention that people can throw away their hand and replace it -- suggest this if people don't have cards that match their starter card's production symbols (e.g. wood and wheat, or wood and cotten, etc.). Deal everyone 2 extra cards. Explain the rest of the game in order as the rounds happen.

11. After a round or two, the assistant rules and the extra final round with all production chains can be explained.

It looks like a lot when written this way, but I think each step is simple and leads into the next. This seems better than trying to do the game round in chronological order when people get lost looking at their cards.

Lyng

I taught someone else Oh My Goods today, and I think I finally have a solid teaching pattern. It helped that they were a math major who learns things quickly though.

1. Prepare by having 3 example cards for different production chain setups. 1 example card that takes a resource and makes a 2-coin good, 1 example card that takes charcoal + a resource, and 1 example card that takes 2 goods.

2. Tell players to only pay attention to the cog and the coin at the bottom of a card. Explain that each card is a building, and buildings make goods.

3. Explain facedown cards represent goods. Put 4 facedown cards on charburner, ask how many goods? (people say 4)

4. What is each good? Explain the symbol in the gear, so you have 4 charcoal.

5. Explain each good is worth coins, shown under the gear. How many coins? (people say 4) Use another card as an example, e.g. 3 cards on flour building for 2 coins each, how many coins? (people say 6)

6. Explain squares on right are resources feeding production chains, which let you produce more goods. Give example of playing wood from hand on starter building.

7. Explain gears on right are goods feeding production chains. Give example of a building with charcoal from table + card from hand, and show that it produces 2 goods on the building. Calculate the coin gain (e.g. 1 coin to 4 coins).

8. Give example of a building with two production goods driving the chain. Remind everyone that BOTH goods are required.

9. Explain that these chains are nice, but there is a catch. The symbols on the left has to kickstart production before a chain can activate. Those symbols can come from your hand or from the market.

10. But what's the market? At this point, you can start the first round. Mention that people can throw away their hand and replace it -- suggest this if people don't have cards that match their starter card's production symbols (e.g. wood and wheat, or wood and cotten, etc.). Deal everyone 2 extra cards. Explain the rest of the game in order as the rounds happen.

11. After a round or two, the assistant rules and the extra final round with all production chains can be explained.

It looks like a lot when written this way, but I think each step is simple and leads into the next. This seems better than trying to do the game round in chronological order when people get lost looking at their cards.

I like that pattern a lot! Well done!

XShagrath

Nice Shelf. CV needs more love, great game.
It is really great. It's a lot lighter than most of the stuff I play, but is great to break out with family and other non-gamers. I also love how thematic all the cards are, and the art is fantastic. I still need to pick up Gossip, and I have CVLizations on my wishlist as well.

joelseph

It is really great. It's a lot lighter than most of the stuff I play, but is great to break out with family and other non-gamers. I also love how thematic all the cards are, and the art is fantastic. I still need to pick up Gossip, and I have CVLizations on my wishlist as well.

The Networks has the same style and humor.

XShagrath

The Networks has the same style and humor.
That's another great one. I've only gotten it to the table once, but hopefully will get it out again soon. Looking forward to the expansion later this year. Also saw there's a little mini-expansion that already came out, so I'm going to try to track that down.

I see xD What are the alternatives?

I'm interested but I'm hold back by the fact that apparently: you need to buy the expansions, so the price goes up , and after the first one/two plays the replay value is less since you already flipped the cards and discovered the mysteries. Or so I've read.
You need to buy expansion for Pathfinder also, the core set only come with one episode. Arkham Horror tcg pretty much perfected what Pathfinder want to be, RPG in a box of cards. This is the game that FFG should have use the subtitle The Adventure Card Game instead of the Warhammer one.

zulux21

I already hate the theme of Secret Hitler and the discussion it produces. Putting Trump in somehow makes it even worse.

it's at least mechanically more interesting than cards against humanity.

but meh... I would rather play don't mess with Cthulthu or the resistance.

Top Bottom