• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zulux21

I have OCD. :<

Like, I can live without getting promo cards for a lot of games but Kickstarter stuff affects me differently.

I get that feeling, but I mostly got over it with one simple line of thought.

"Why should I not buy a game I will have fun playing just because I can't get some extras that likely just make the game worse."

far to often the kickstarter extras aren't as balanced as the main games, and often make games worse.

Sometimes they are cool, but most of the time they aren't all that exciting.

. In general though if a game NEEDS it's ks exclusives to be a complete/full game then it's probably not a game worth buying or playing anyways.

that too.

Blizzard

Banned
I love the Gloomhaven policy of no exclusives. If I ever made a kickstarter I would use Isaac's line about exclusives sucking or something. :p

Been meaning to ask. I backed the Gloomhaven reprint, but my usual game group is 5 players. Is there anything, even fan stuff, which expands the game to 5?

zulux21

Has anyone seen this Kickstarter for a game called Spy Club? I only learned about it a few days ago and it seems like something a lot of people would be really into.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foxtrotgames/spy-club/description

it looks interesting, but I don't really see much reason to back it when I can likely get it from CSI after release for 30% off.

I will look into it more and see if their other games got bigger releases or not and the quality of them.

gotta go to bed tonight.

BigBeauford

Want to grab a good worker placement game as I don't own one and like the look of a few. With Feast of Odin just out of my price range, I'm looking at either Caverna or Viticulture with the Tuscany expansion. Anyone played these and can give me an idea of which one to go for?

A few days late on this one, but I own both Caverna and Agricola. It's a great game if you are set on it, but I think Agricola is the best worker placement of all time. I cannot find a game that replicates the tension of Agricola when played with experienced players, specifically that feeling of "Oh god, I need 6 food after this turn, which means I have to slaughter animals, but then they can't reproduce, but if I don't take the first player token, Brad who is two turns ahead of me will SURELY take the plow AND sow action...". It is agonizing in the best way possible.

Experien

7th Continent's reprint/expansion KS is up. Did anyone buy in first time around and have an opinion?

I got it and played it for the first time this weekend. A few things were off (they don't tell you can't do some things without certain items, ie: can't make fire unless you have flint) but it was a great play and can't wait to play some more.

The "off things" about unspoken rules for items/actions are left a mystery so you figure it out when you flip over a card that says, "this can do X keyword" you get that moment of revelation. I think the base game has four scenarios, I died in the first "beginner" campaign but will definitely go back to beat it.

I am treating it as a solo play at least until I am super ready to teach others since each turn is just "one person does an action and then another person does an action or you do another one." Seems so simple that I feel like I am missing something.

Anyways, I backed it and hoping they bring back at least half of the extra expansions from the first time around like a giant worm or hurricane.

JSR_Cube

From what I have read, I think solo might be best for this game based on some of the impressions I have read too. It sounds like you aren't rewarded for splitting up the group and then when you stick together it becomes a lot of group decisions.

I am no expert though.

Experien

From what I have read, I think solo might be best for this game based on some of the impressions I have read too. It sounds like you aren't rewarded for splitting up the group and then when you stick together it becomes a lot of group decisions.

I am no expert though.

You are correct. There are some big actions that can only be done if everyone is together.

XShagrath

7th Continent's reprint/expansion KS is up. Did anyone buy in first time around and have an opinion?
I got in on it the first time, and have a similar experience to Experien. I've only played one session so far (with one other person), and we played one session for about four hours, ultimately dying. We both really enjoyed it, and the exploration and discovery of things is pretty top-notch.

It's definitely a unique experience, so if you're into very thick thematic elements and really cool locations and exploration elements in games, then it's totally worth it. The gameplay itself is pretty simple (draw cards to perform actions and get a certain number of successes), but it's really about the story that's crafted.

I was on KS right at 2PM to pledge for the expansion. And I'm not a big KS guy by any means. This is just my fourth game backed over the last seven years or so.

BigBeauford

Does anyone have opinions on Concordia? There doesn't appear to be a solo mode, but it sounds like it works fine for 2-5 players.

It's a fine enough game, it plays smoothly, and there isn't a whole lot of luck involved. I found it to be a bit dry, and I would play it again, but I wouldn't purchase it.

yayaba

Went ahead and backed 7th Continent. I went for the stretch goals + expansion but now I'm wondering if I should just go with the base. I'll save $80 and can use that cash for other games.

At this point after semi-burning out on LCG's, I think I prefer breadth more than depth. That is, buy a variety of games instead of expansions for games. The feedback loop of opening a new game, reading the rules, and learning the mechanics and strategies is addicting. When you buy an expansion you kind of lose out on that.

I suppose for those who have backed 7th Continent already, are the 4 curses a decent amount of content?

7th continent impressions are really good...
I'm going ALL in..
Meaning, second ed core, new xpac and then..
Either card sleeves or the old xpacs...
So 200 eur including shipping either way...

SuperPoncho

Neo Member
7th continent impressions are really good...
I'm going ALL in..
Meaning, second ed core, new xpac and then..
Either card sleeves or the old xpacs...
So 200 eur including shipping either way...

I backed at the rookie level. Now I’m going to wait to see the expansion prices.

maven

Does anyone have opinions on Concordia? There doesn't appear to be a solo mode, but it sounds like it works fine for 2-5 players.

I've only played it once, but I really enjoyed it. There are a few different maps that are recommended for different player counts.

The shut up and sit down review is worth a watch (especially if you're trying to convince yourself to buy it)

So I guess the 7th continent just add a potential hidden traitor mechanic as a stretch goal. Might be worth checking out if you enjoy that type of game.

yayaba

Getting into board gaming really makes me realize how much more expensive this hobby is over video games. I buy a handful of new releases per year and usually just splurge on PSN Flash sales to get games for $20 bucks.

Just this past month I've sunk $100 into City of Kings, $125 into Zombicide Green Horde, and now $125 into 7th Continent. Not counting the $100 for Gloomhaven which is on the way. Also picked up Imperial Assault for $70 and Sword and Sorcery for $50.

Makes the $60 I dropped on Destiny 2 seem pittance in comparison. But the older I get the more I value time spent away from looking at a monitor/TV. I love being able to just set up a game and play over a few days if need be.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Getting into board gaming really makes me realize how much more expensive this hobby is over video games. I buy a handful of new releases per year and usually just splurge on PSN Flash sales to get games for $20 bucks.

Just this past month I've sunk $100 into City of Kings, $125 into Zombicide Green Horde, and now $125 into 7th Continent. Not counting the $100 for Gloomhaven which is on the way. Also picked up Imperial Assault for $70 and Sword and Sorcery for $50.

Makes the $60 I dropped on Destiny 2 seem pittance in comparison. But the older I get the more I value time spent away from looking at a monitor/TV. I love being able to just set up a game and play over a few days if need be.

It's funny because 5+ years ago this used to be the exact opposite. You grabbed Catan, Caylus, Ticket to Ride, (or their Amerithrash equivalents) and maybe one or two others and played them for a decade. Value proposition was actually a huge part of board gaming, and there's no reason it couldn't be today. But yeah the industry overall has really gone into hyperspeed in terms of Cult of the New, hugely aided by Kickstarter. I think it's just a self-control thing mostly though. I mean I could peace out on games forever and be set for life and then some. (But I'm somewhat Cult of the New too so I get it -- just have gotten smart enough to ignore big new Euro stuff that I'll never get to the table quickly and rely on my classics mostly -- Castles of Burgundy, etc.)

What the hell how would that even work in that game lol

Here is how the update describes it

With this Stretch Goal you can really mix your games up by adding one, or multiple, traitors to your group!

Before starting the game, each player draws one of the 7 Destiny cards at random and looks at it.

4 of these cards are “Trust no one!” and have no further effect (for now).

However, the three others show “The continent demands sacrifice!” which will give you two rather sinister choices: either Assassinate a fellow explorer at the most opportunistic time in order to free yourself, or die…horribly I might add.

And, if that wasn’t enough, the effects of each Destiny card are slightly different so you’ll never know what to expect from your colleagues assailants, or your victims!

So not as involved as dead of winter or other games with a hidden traitor. To kill someone you have to be on the same space as them and reveal that you are a traitor. If that person is an innocenct person they can reveal they're not a traitor for -2 to the killing roll.

Do you have a link? Not able to search and find that stuff right now due to travel, ha.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-continent-what-goes-up-must-come-down/

Ripenen

Probably depends on how recently you got into the hobby. If you just discovered video games say this year, you could easily spend thousands on consoles and must-have games, not to mention ancillary purchases like subscriptions, DLC, and peripherals.

For me when I first got into board games I spent several hundred bucks pretty quickly. Over time as I experienced more of what the hobby has to offer I got more selective about purchases and now I spend ~$100 a year on board games for myself, which incidentally is about as much as I spend on video games these days.

Doesn't that game take 10+ hours? That seems like such a long time to have that kind of mechanic going.

It's a game where you replay the same campaign over and over dying until you finish gaining knowledge of the best ways to run though the map correct? Since it's a 1-4 player game and there are 7 cards, 4 not traitor and 3 traitor, my guess is every restart you'd draw 2-4 new cards so who may or may not be a traitor changes every time.

Experien

Is 7th continent a game you play through once but it's amazing?

Nope. All the cards are numbered and select cards have duplicates. So it might ask you to put card 035 down but there could be four copies of it. Between each game you could shuffle them or just put them behind the others after you use them. Also there are a bunch of mist cards that block your path and they are only numbered by difficulty (which is apparent) but you are guaranteed to go through them all.

First edition came with four Clues/Campaigns. New one will add two more. Each one has a different start location but all on the same island.

I have played it twice, both were the same Clue and outside of the starting location and some of the locale, it felt pretty different. I didn't get far the first time but I made significant progress on the second time and learned a lot of things. Getting food is super important!

My only issue is that I am not fully sure how to do certain actions or if you need cards to do certain things. I found a rock with seaweed on it and it says that if the terrain card I am on has the vine symbol, I can use vines. That is really strange because that means you have to find cards that allow you to use the resources on the card. I am still figuring it out but I believe I am playing right and having fun regardless.

I will stick with the same Clue/Campaign at least one more time before exploring more.

I backed at the rookie level. Now I'm going to wait to see the expansion prices.

FYI: I think they officially stated that the game will never go retail. I'd imagine that will be same for expansions. I know I regret not gettin gthe add-ons from the first go around and won't miss that this time. Just waiting for them to post them, unless they just go to the backerkit or whatever post-service they use.

Also just wanted to say, my base game was missing most of the clue cards and they had to resend me cards but I have them all now. They were nice and good about it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's funny because 5+ years ago this used to be the exact opposite. You grabbed Catan, Caylus, Ticket to Ride, (or their Amerithrash equivalents) and maybe one or two others and played them for a decade. Value proposition was actually a huge part of board gaming, and there's no reason it couldn't be today. But yeah the industry overall has really gone into hyperspeed in terms of Cult of the New, hugely aided by Kickstarter. I think it's just a self-control thing mostly though. I mean I could peace out on games forever and be set for life and then some. (But I'm somewhat Cult of the New too so I get it -- just have gotten smart enough to ignore big new Euro stuff that I'll never get to the table quickly and rely on my classics mostly -- Castles of Burgundy, etc.)

This is definitely true. Me and my friend joke all the time that we actually have too many good games to legitimately play. I have played Cthulhu Wars more than 20 times and I had just played the Yellow Sign faction for the first time in our last play. We have dozens of games with that same feeling. We keep getting new stuff even though we absolutely do not need it at all.

One of my top game only if I can get more people to play it. It is one of those Euro that is easy to teach but still have a lot of depth. It does play smooth since each turn you just select role from your hands (represent by card) and then take that action. There is a bit of hand building by buying card from market. When I teach this game to new players I usually do a scoring round so people can get a feel of what card earn you points at the end. The game only score at the end which can be hard for some people to grasp.

apart from 7th continent, any other kickstarter worth investing? i read some mixed feelings on cerebria..
it has the style.. it gives me some good vibe... but i'm not completely convinced on what they describe about the gameplay...
also champions of hara.....
any gaffer have impression of either of those last two? trying to decide how//if to pledge..

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
apart from 7th continent, any other kickstarter worth investing? i read some mixed feelings on cerebria..
it has the style.. it gives me some good vibe... but i'm not completely convinced on what they describe about the gameplay...
any gaffer have impression of either of those last two? trying to decide how//if to pledge..

Mindclash had kickstarted 2 fantastic games previously. Trickerion is probably the most complex and satisfying worker placement game I have and Anachrony is both a unique worker placement game while being a great tableau builder. Both implement their theme brilliantly and both of them have great art/components. The 2 were also very generous games, featuring lots of content and built in modules for tons of variability. If I were to say anything was a safe back, it would be a Mindclash game. I backed Cerebria as soon as it went up.

I'm looking forward to the Too Many Bones expansion/stand alone game that will kickstart on October 17.

zulux21

I haven't bothered checking if there is anything worth getting in it... but CSI just sent me an email about a huge board game sale... and... there are actually more than 5 games on sale (in fact more than 100)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/3665?&resultsperpage=25&s=bg

edit: man their see the price at checkout BS is annoying. Wonder if it actually gets people to buy it by forcing them to do that... for me it just means I won't bother checking the prices at all and am likely not going to order anything because it's to much of a pain.

don't know about the quality but given Empires: Galactic Rebellion is going for $75 on amazon the $38 on cool stuff seems like a good price.

XShagrath

I haven't bothered checking if there is anything worth getting in it... but CSI just sent me an email about a huge board game sale... and... there are actually more than 5 games on sale (in fact more than 100)

edit: man their see the price at checkout BS is annoying. Wonder if it actually gets people to buy it by forcing them to do that... for me it just means I won't bother checking the prices at all and am likely not going to order anything because it's to much of a pain.

don't know about the quality but given Empires: Galactic Rebellion is going for $75 on amazon the $38 on cool stuff seems like a good price.

They have to do that “price at checkout” thing due to certain publishers not allowing to advertise past a certain percentage below MSRP.

Well nothing in the sale jumps out of me other then time stories and pandmeic legacy but I'm a year out from having a not spoiled group to play that. Got time stories and ordered the first sets of arkham horror lcg, dunwich horror lcg, and the carnvale horror stand alone lcg.

zulux21

They have to do that ”price at checkout" thing due to certain publishers not allowing to advertise past a certain percentage below MSRP.

:/
then screw those publishers instead :p

also it seems a RWBY board game just launched on kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roosterteeth/rwby-combat-ready?ref=ereaxy&token=d439899d

quick glance is the base game is very skimpy in terms of characters and what not, but they seem to have high expectations for backing given one of their goals is only unlocked if they get 250k in the first 24 hours.

I imagine a number of extra characters and villains are locked to stretch goals.

I wonder if the game is even any good lol.

So how is Notre Dame compare to other Feld games? I love Trajan and Castles of Burgundy and lukewarm on La Isla. Trajan is probably my favorite but I never play Bruges.

EYEL1NER

I played 7 Wonders last night, for the first time since TT Day 2014. I hated it when I played it then; the rules were explained hastily and I didn't understand them. It was my intro to drafting, so that was new. And there were a ton of icons and symbols, and a ton of choices and ways to earn points. People were passing me hands of cards and I was just picking one at random and trying to play it. So when we finished playing, I was completely lost as to what happened and what I had been doing, especially when scoring began.

It was a bad experience but I eventually bought the game either later in 2014 or in 2015. I figured "I hated it but most other people seem to think it's a great game, so I'll add it to my collection." It's been sitting around in the shrink since then. I heard that 7 Wonders Duel was a fun 2P game and after reading the rules bought that early this summer and played it. I liked Duel a lot and thought 'Maybe I should return to the OG game at some point soon, especially since we are getting more and more people showing up to game night.'
We've had 6 to 7 people at game nights a lot recently, so yesterday I decided to learn the game. I read the rules online and watched a couple vids and thought 'Oh wow, this is a lot easier than I thought it would be.' I think my experience with Duel helped out a bit, knowing that Science and Military power are ways to victory, more coins = more VP, and more.

I took it in last night and we had 7 people total. Everyone was interested in giving it a shot, so I began explaining it. It was tough, because I was trying to touch on a lot of important things and a couple players were urging me to start the game. There are a couple people, mainly the host, who are really big into "Let's just start and we'll pick it up as we go." I tried to hold off for as long as possible and stress how lost I was when I first played it because of inadequate rules explanation, but we had to eventually start at some point.
We began and it seemed like everyone was lost for the first few turns, but people began understanding what I was trying to explain earlier to them. Only one guy at the end was like "I had no clue what I was doing," and he was in last place, so I felt bad for him. I didn't do so hot myself. I had a lot of fun with it though, so I'm really glad I broke it out. I think some others enjoyed it too, but I don't know if the host will be too hot on trying to again soon. I did try to tell them all that playing it a few more times should have everyone spun up and the game should go a lot smoother. Hopefully I get to play again soon. I could have honestly played only it for the rest of last night.

Games played last night were: Exploding Kittens, 7 Wonders, two games of Resistance with the Commander and Assassin role added from the expansion, Bang: The Dice Game, one game of Resistance Avalon, and three games of Endangered Orphans of Condyle Cove.

Endangered Orphans ended up being a hit with the two other people I played with. We had played a couple "Take that" type games that night but we don't usually play a bunch of them. The game plays really fast too, which was welcome for the players taken out quickly (which was me in the first two games). It almost plays too fast with three, so I added in all of the 4P cards and it was a better length. That game saw the other two players draw a boogieman one after the other, which was awesome too. I'm really glad I got it, now that I was able to try it.

Strike showed up today. A UK ebayer sold me a French copy that had been ordered from Amazon.de (and shipped to me in the German Amazon box) for almost twice the NA MSRP, so it was all a bit weird, but I am so glad to finally have a copy of it. I can't wait to try it out when my daughter finishes her homework. Odds are that now that I've overpaid for a copy, Ravensburger will announce a reprint (they ignored multiple emails asking if there were even tentative plans for a possible reprint down the road). If that happens, then you are all welcome. That would just about be my luck.

DTIGkPP.jpg

On the topic of 7 Wonders: What expansions do you guys recommend? I did a bit of reading and know that Leaders and Cities are more popular than Babel, but both of them have some things that people don't like (Leader telegraph your strategy, some people don't like the black cards, Cities has some kind of negative penalties that are disliked). The Wonders Pack seems like a no-brained, to get 4 new Wonders. I was wondering what some of you play with.

betapeter

Neo Member
What kind of game is Strike? I've not heard of it.

I just came back from a games night I saw posted on facebook, held at The Dice Saloon in Brighton (uk). The weather was miserable so when I got there only the host had turned up, she said it's normally a pretty regular group and should be better next week.
We made the most of it with a couple rounds of Hand of the King and my trusty copy of Waggle Dance.

Plus she was pretty cute so I'm definitely in next week.

yayaba

Probably depends on how recently you got into the hobby. If you just discovered video games say this year, you could easily spend thousands on consoles and must-have games, not to mention ancillary purchases like subscriptions, DLC, and peripherals.

For me when I first got into board games I spent several hundred bucks pretty quickly. Over time as I experienced more of what the hobby has to offer I got more selective about purchases and now I spend ~$100 a year on board games for myself, which incidentally is about as much as I spend on video games these days.

I'm mainly loading up on games that I can solo and take my time to get through. I'm still trying to be pretty selective in what I get though but at least most board games I can resell without much loss. Depending on hot or rare it is though I've been able to resell for far more than I pad for it.

I've been in the scene for about a year and a half now and own about 15 games so not too bad. I mainly just pick up stuff I think my wife would enjoy and also stuff I would like to solo.

Karkador

Banned
I'm mainly loading up on games that I can solo and take my time to get through. I'm still trying to be pretty selective in what I get though but at least most board games I can resell without much loss. Depending on hot or rare it is though I've been able to resell for far more than I pad for it.

I've been in the scene for about a year and a half now and own about 15 games so not too bad. I mainly just pick up stuff I think my wife would enjoy and also stuff I would like to solo.

I enjoy some solo games, but I gotta say, I don't think board games are really cut out to be solo games, at least not the way videogames are. I think the highs of my time with board games have come from playing with others.

EYEL1NER

What kind of game is Strike? I've not heard of it.
A poster on GAF actually tipped me off to it, but I can't recall who it was (I've got it narrowed down to two posters ITT). The box bottom has a thin plastic "arena" inside with a foam bottom. Depending on player count, everyone gets a certain number of dice. You toss a die in and try to get matching pairs. If your die doesn't make it into the arena or if a die has an "X" face showing, it gets discarded from the game. If you match some dice, you get them and your turn ends. If you match no dice, you can keep pushing your luck until you decide to pass, match some, or run out. If no dice are in the arena when your turn comes up, you throw all dice and pray you match some. Last person with dice in their possession wins.

The plastic arena with foam bottom is nice. There are steps and corners that the dice can bounce off of. Best way to match dice is to hit other dice with the one you throw and try to roll them over onto a favorable face.

I played a quick five minute game of it earlier and my wife, daughter, and I enjoyed it. I can't wait to play with a couple more people. I definitely am not good at "push your luck" mechanics though; it's why I refuse to gamble for money ever. I was out quick because I kept throwing over and over.

The BGG team did a "Game Night!" episode on it in season three: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/82740/strike/strike-gamenight-se3-ep22

Top Bottom