• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

emag

On the topic of 7 Wonders: What expansions do you guys recommend? I did a bit of reading and know that Leaders and Cities are more popular than Babel, but both of them have some things that people don't like (Leader telegraph your strategy, some people don't like the black cards, Cities has some kind of negative penalties that are disliked). The Wonders Pack seems like a no-brained, to get 4 new Wonders. I was wondering what some of you play with.

Leaders is a nice option that changes things up with unique player powers/scoring. Cities adds more variety and complex buildings. Leaders is probably the better first expansion to add in, whereas Cities helps if you're getting bored of seeing the same cards. I'm fine playing with both or either (or neither), but I like base + Leaders best. Rome is a lame Wonder, though.

I enjoy some solo games, but I gotta say, I don't think board games are really cut out to be solo games, at least not the way videogames are. I think the highs of my time with board games have come from playing with others.

I could easily say that with video games as well.

I think board gaming solo play will just get more and more interesting as time allows it as there's alot of wiggle room for experimenting with solo play.

Experien

My big box of Brimstone arrived today. Will dig in tomorrow. With the heft of the box, my immediate thought that I should try to sell the game.

Just so you guys know, mayday games website has a warehouse moving sale. Their usual free shipping does not apply for this sale, but there are some great deals.

Like 77 percent off

betapeter

Neo Member
A poster on GAF actually tipped me off to it, but I can't recall

The BGG team did a "Game Night!" episode on it in season three: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/82740/strike/strike-gamenight-se3-ep22

That sounds pretty fun, I like dexterity games. shame it's out of print then.

I've got a pirate game, can't recall the name right now, that has a similar mechanic; whenever you get into a scrap you dump your pirate fleet (dice) into a metal tray and their face and distance from each other determines which ships get sunk.

That sounds pretty fun, I like dexterity games. shame it's out of print then.

I've got a pirate game, can't recall the name right now, that has a similar mechanic; whenever you get into a scrap you dump your pirate fleet (dice) into a metal tray and their face and distance from each other determines which ships get sunk.

You just need a bag of dice and tupperware bowl to play Strike. : P

We played a lot of games this past weekend at our little coffee shop MeetUp. We had been trying to get the Gallerist to the table for the last month and finally we got to play. I played several games but usually just solo or with my daughter so it was nice to get in full game of four. I got several people to watch Watch it Played before hand so teaching went faster. They had so much fun that the next day we played it again at another Meet Up at Guardian Games. We have so many casual and non-gamer who stop by and just amaze at the board and pretty the game is. This is one of the games that really take me away from video gaming and heavily into board game.

We got in 2-player game of Eistein by Artana. It's a little tile laying game where you try to connect the "idea" tiles together to make certain geometry shape. It was surprisingly fun but a bit of a solitary game (a lot like Number 9) but with more just a bit more interaction because you can play off other player pieces. I like Artana game and sad that I missed the Kickstarter on this one. Their artwork is always on point and with minimalist graphic design.

We also got in a game of the Godfather by Eric Lang. The game is a mash of everything from worker placement, set collection, bidding mechanic and area control with hidden money. It was good and probably easy game to learn all of these mechanic. That said, being jack of all trade the game doesn't really shine in any area the component was good and the metal suitcase to hide your "money" ie cards is fun but I can see the game get repetitive real quick. The game really click with me though I usually loath worker placement game but this one is alright probably because it is one of those worker placement where you have alternate options to put your guy even if someone already got there before you. (Probably why I like Carson City and Viticulture and dislike most other worker placement). The mobster theme is fun but the game really has very little to do with the movie.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I saw that a short bit ago. I'm curious if it's any good. I'm sure it is - everything in the RtL app has been fucking aces.

Looks like rather than campaign it is a set of trials that you receive scorers on for how well you do. Should have good replayability.

So I think we are finally starting Pandemic Legacy proper either tonight or tomorrow. Without giving anything away, am I right to assume that once we are done with Legacy the game itself is just useless? Would I be able to use the components and cards to just play regular Pandemic or will that not be possible?

ultron87

So I think we are finally starting Pandemic Legacy proper either tonight or tomorrow. Without giving anything away, am I right to assume that once we are done with Legacy the game itself is just useless? Would I be able to use the components and cards to just play regular Pandemic or will that not be possible?

Yeah, that's a decent assumption. The board and components end up with a lot of extra stuff on it that would make playing normal Pandemic on it pretty annoying.

For me at least, the 16 or so games we got out of Legacy was more than I get from a lot of games, so I didn't really mind it not being a thing I could use after that.

I'm after a couple of reccomendations for games to pick up this month, but I'm not sure what to go for.

Ideally they will be games that play well with just two players.

Games we've played recently and really enjoyed.

Time Stories (just the base game, i'll probably pick up at least one expansion this month)
Pandemic (This gets a lot of play from us, got all of the expansions)
Mage Knight(love this game)
Arkham Horror
Jaipur
Lost Cities
X-Com

Other games we own:
Zombiecide Season 2 (we played this a couple of times when I first picked it up but never went back to it for some reason)
Battle Line - not a massive fan of this
Hive - only played a couple of times, seemed fine but didn't really grab us.
Carcassonne - we've been playing this for years now so we're a bit tired of it.

I'm open to any suggestions really.

Highly recommend Blood Rage, works great with all player counts and has a high level of replayability. Also battlelore was a blast 2 players when I played it also lots of replayability even with the base game.

Recently, my wishlist has grown quite a bit.. Feel like maybe relieving that list by buying a couple games..

Any thoughts on any of these?

Herbacious
Run Fight or Die
Indulgence
Tournament at Camelot
Camp Grizzly
Word on the Street
Cthulhu in the House
Modern Art
Climate Evolution (have the old version + flight, and think I should ditch those for this)
Modern Art
Wordsy
Lazer Ryderz
Lord of the Fries (thinking of getting this for a nephew who loves zombies and Grosseries)
Elder Sign
Mission Red Planet
One Upon a Time

Geez, I have a problem. That's not even half my wishlist.

fenners

Recently, my wishlist has grown quite a bit.. Feel like maybe relieving that list by buying a couple games..

Herbacious
Run Fight or Die
Indulgence
Tournament at Camelot
Camp Grizzly
Word on the Street
Cthulhu in the House
Modern Art
Climate Evolution (have the old version + flight, and think I should ditch those for this)
Modern Art
Wordsy
Lazer Ryderz
Lord of the Fries (thinking of getting this for a nephew who loves zombies and Grosseries)
Elder Sign
Mission Red Planet
One Upon a Time

I would do my best to try before I buy a good number of those..

Herbacious
Run Fight or Die
Indulgence
Tournament at Camelot
Camp Grizzly
Word on the Street
Cthulhu in the House
Modern Art
Modern Art
Wordsy
Lazer Ryderz
Elder Sign
Mission Red Planet
One Upon a Time

That's a list of "meh". Elder Sign can be fun, and Lazer Ryderz has neat concept (just sloppy play), but overall I wouldn't care for any of those in the collection

JSR_Cube

Interesting times ahead for the boardgame industry, I think.

Queen just finished their Merlin kickstarter saying that the game "in that form" won't hit retail.

7th Continent is in its second kickstarter currently and the publisher is saying it won't hit retail either.

Today, Monolith announced that Mythic Battles: Pantheon (already kickstarted) and their upcoming game to be kickstarted won't hit retail. Here is the BGG thread from them:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1833897/exclusive-kickstarter/page/1

I know that this strategy won't work for all publishers but I can definitely see some big ones following this trend.

So grey fox games announced in the deception expansion kickstarter that the expansion will retail at $25 dollars as opposed to the planned $20. They're offering a one use (SORRYNOTE) for 50% off one in stock item on almost everything they carry.

XShagrath

I haven't played any of those besides Elder Sign, which I enjoyed at the time (many years ago). I've heard it gets better with a couple of expansions, but I couldn't tell you which.

One thing you could do to trim it down is not buy two copies of Modern Art. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I haven't played any of those besides Elder Sign, which I enjoyed at the time (many years ago). I've heard it gets better with a couple of expansions, but I couldn't tell you which.
Gates of Arkham. Fantastic game with that expansion. 'OK' but too easy without. One of the most massive expansion upgrades to game quality out there imo. A lot of people like Mission Red Planet too -- if you are into really screwing and going after people.

Herbacious
Run Fight or Die
Indulgence
Tournament at Camelot
Camp Grizzly
Word on the Street
Cthulhu in the House
Modern Art
Modern Art
Wordsy
Lazer Ryderz
Elder Sign
Mission Red Planet
One Upon a Time

From your list I only know elder sign.. if you want to play it, you NEED the arkham xpac..
Most recent xpacs (deep and ice) are very good, but.. they are intended for expert elder signs player :)
The game is quite nice, but you have to like American fgt-style games :)

I'm after a couple of reccomendations for games to pick up this month, but I'm not sure what to go for.

Games we've played recently and really enjoyed.

Time Stories (just the base game, i'll probably pick up at least one expansion this month)
Pandemic (This gets a lot of play from us, got all of the expansions)
Mage Knight(love this game)
Arkham Horror
Jaipur
Lost Cities
X-Com

Other games we own:
Zombiecide Season 2 (we played this a couple of times when I first picked it up but never went back to it for some reason)
Battle Line - not a massive fan of this
Hive - only played a couple of times, seemed fine but didn't really grab us.
Carcassonne - we've been playing this for years now so we're a bit tired of it.

I'm open to any suggestions really.
The others 7 sin might fit you...
Also scythe,..
If you like legacy game, I'd also say risk legacy :p
Race for galaxy+ gathering storm..
Gloomhaven I've tried once and fell in love with..
Annnnnd, if your friend likes fighting games, I'd say exceed//similar..
Oh, and aeon's war!!!

I would do my best to try before I buy a good number of those..

That's a list of "meh". Elder Sign can be fun, and Lazer Ryderz has neat concept (just sloppy play), but overall I wouldn't care for any of those in the collection

Brutal.

Generally most of these games are well reviewed.. Or so I thought.
I might have to be a little more strict than 'Tom Vasel liked it' or '5.5+ Geek Score'. Those are my go to references when something strikes me as interesting.

Also, so far as these games go, what would you instead recommend, for similar theme?

From your list I only know elder sign.. if you want to play it, you NEED the arkham xpac..
Most recent xpacs (deep and ice) are very good, but.. they are intended for expert elder signs player :)
The game is quite nice, but you have to like American fgt-style games :)

I was about ready to buy Elder Sign, and was trying to figure out which expansions work best to add to the game.. most people seem to recommend Gates of Arkham which I guess you replace the base game content, or to some extent? There are other expansions that do that too. Which expansions are essential, that make you say 'okay, I will want to play the game with these from now on and never without out'?

As I was looking around, I saw a couple opinions that the base game is easy to break once you figure out how things work... That worried me a bit. Hhrrrmm...

One thing you could do to trim it down is not buy two copies of Modern Art. :)

Haha.. Whoops.

sneaky77

Elder Sign is a fun dice roller.

Unseen forces adds some difficulty.

Gates of Arkham and the rest of expansions replace the adventure deck with their own self contained adventure decks.

zulux21

Herbacious
Run Fight or Die
Indulgence
Tournament at Camelot
Camp Grizzly
Word on the Street
Cthulhu in the House
Modern Art
Modern Art
Wordsy
Lazer Ryderz
Elder Sign
Mission Red Planet
One Upon a Time

people have covered other ones so I will cover what I assume should be Once Upon A time.

as a game, played to win... it's absolute garbage.
as a game, where you only loosely play by the rules to eventually end it, but instead focus on telling a fun story with people randomly taking control it's a great social game with the right group.

my group likes it, but if anyone ever plays it to win they will likely hate it.

I don't really know the others aside from elder sign, which likely isn't a great sign for them given I own like 100-200 games and have played a ton of games I don't own.

fenners

Brutal.

Generally most of these games are well reviewed.. Or so I thought.
I might have to be a little more strict than 'Tom Vasel liked it' or '5.5+ Geek Score'. Those are my go to references when something strikes me as interesting.

Also, so far as these games go, what would you instead recommend, for similar theme?

5.5+ on BGG is not good. 5.5 is "I paid money for it already so I'll grudgingly find something good about it & mark it as above average" or "I backed this on Kickstarter so I'm stuck with it" or "I love the theme but....". :/

6.5-7 - I'll consider it if I know more about the game & understand why some people don't like it for mechanics/theme/audience etc.

7.0 is where the goodness begins on BGG, in my opinion of course. It's where you can start saying "there might be something there that's interesting".

What are you looking for theme wise, mechanic wise?

Not all those games are bad - Modern Art has been in & out of print for years & years for good reasons, Elder Signs is fun with an expansion or two but know what you're in for, Lord of the Fries/Give Me The Brain were a big hit for lunchtime game sessions with a crowd happy to run with "take that" & a bunch of randomness, Mission Red Planet takes Catan mechanics & adds a bunch of "take that".

Kitbash

Mission: Red Planet always gets a good reception with my groups. Plays quickly even with a full 6 players, since everyone chooses their action simultaneously. I wouldn't bother trying it with 2 players though.

Run, Fight or Die is...not very good. Just mindless dice-chucking. Also, the cool Mutant Boss miniature you might see in photos was a Kickstarter exclusive. The retail version has a cardboard token instead. Boo!

Interesting times ahead for the boardgame industry, I think.

Queen just finished their Merlin kickstarter saying that the game "in that form" won't hit retail.

7th Continent is in its second kickstarter currently and the publisher is saying it won't hit retail either.

Today, Monolith announced that Mythic Battles: Pantheon (already kickstarted) and their upcoming game to be kickstarted won't hit retail. Here is the BGG thread from them:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1833897/exclusive-kickstarter/page/1

I know that this strategy won't work for all publishers but I can definitely see some big ones following this trend.

I don't have any problem with this. I think this is better for smaller publisher like 7th Continent. I heard they did try to get the game to retails but could not find interest. Monolith said they lost so much money from Conan trying to get that to retail. Also going to retail mean many people are waiting for deep discount to buy the game from on-line store. It won't work for every company but I think it is good for the little guy especially now all the game company are own by one or two big conglomerate like Asmodee.

5.5+ on BGG is not good. 5.5 is "I paid money for it already so I'll grudgingly find something good about it & mark it as above average" or "I backed this on Kickstarter so I'm stuck with it" or "I love the theme but....". :/

6.5-7 - I'll consider it if I know more about the game & understand why some people don't like it for mechanics/theme/audience etc.

7.0 is where the goodness begins on BGG, in my opinion of course. It's where you can start saying "there might be something there that's interesting".

What are you looking for theme wise, mechanic wise?

Not all those games are bad - Modern Art has been in & out of print for years & years for good reasons, Elder Signs is fun with an expansion or two but know what you're in for, Lord of the Fries/Give Me The Brain were a big hit for lunchtime game sessions with a crowd happy to run with "take that" & a bunch of randomness, Mission Red Planet takes Catan mechanics & adds a bunch of "take that".

Thanks. Well I'll probably pick up Modern Art next then. I could use another game with an auction mechanic. I also like the theme.

That's usually where I begin.. "Do I like the theme?.. Do I like the art?.. Is there a goodish game in there?"

As for Run Fight or Die, it seemed like a fun distraction featuring zombies. I have Last Night on Earth, and honestly, I don't really like it. Looking around, I can't seem to find a zombie game I would be interested in. Zombicide MAYBE, since I like Left for Dead, but all the extra content and expansions and hooboy.. It's too overwhelming and expensive.

Another genre I'm really into thematically, would be a Dungeon Crawl.... but I can't say I'm crazy about anything I've come across yet.. Even Gloomhaven, which is all the rage, I can't get past the artwork and the style. I'm just not into it.

Camp Grizzly has amazing art, and I love the theme.... but it's kind of pricey, and a kickstarter that has struggled to deliver, apparently... I don't know. I'd like more spooky games. Betrayal at the House on the Hill can sometimes be fun, but I need more than that.. Fury of Dracula is cool, but traveling around Europe and playing hide and seek isn't really spooky, even though I like the game.

I guess I don't need to buy more games... but.... I'm always on the hunt.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

yayaba

I enjoy some solo games, but I gotta say, I don't think board games are really cut out to be solo games, at least not the way videogames are. I think the highs of my time with board games have come from playing with others.

I dunno, I used to be the biggest video game nut but at some point over the past year or so I’ve found it incredibly hard to finish games. I’ve grown tired of having to read dialog trees, run around open worlds, sit through loading screens and installs, etc. playing indie games has helped with that some but not all.

Conversely I’ve found board gaming to be refreshing. Solo games are great since I can strategize outside of the game and then really puzzle my way through the scenario. And there’s something great about the tactile nature of board games. Beats holding a controller.

I highly recommend Run Fight or Die! Its game mechanic of the relentless zombie advancement on your game board each round, perfectly fits the zombie theme. A fun game that gets to my table often!

Also if one really wants the mutant zombie boss mini, MiniatureMarket.com has it available with the base game.

I highly recommend Run Fight or Die! Its game mechanic of the relentless zombie advancement on your game board each round, perfectly fits the zombie theme. A fun game that gets to my table often!

Also if one really wants the mutant zombie boss mini, MiniatureMarket.com has it available with the base game.

Are there any expansions you recommend? I had a look but decided the base game might be enough. Some said the different zombie types slow down the game. What do you think?

KJ869

I would recomend checking out Patchwork https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163412/patchwork

Its not expensive, it is not repititive as setup is randomized and what I had not understood before, you have exactly 4 options every turn. Either you take one of the three pieces or you take money, so theres never too many options for one turn to think, so even with less experienced people it does not go to analysis paralysis like for example hive goes. Usually thats the problem with abstract games..

EYEL1NER

Gonna be playing my first game of Twilight Struggle later this evening, it seems. I sent the Twilight Strategy article on "New Players" to the person I'll be playing with, in addition to a link to the rules and a 10 minute video that goes over setup and turn order. Hope it goes smoothly but he's got his computer right next to his game table and will be able to look up any questions that arise. Wish me luck (or us luck, I don't care about winning so much as I want the game to go smoothly and not be interrupted by constant "Eh, I don't know. Let me check the rulebook" moments)!

Blizzard

Banned
I was trying to wait until Christmas to get any more board games. I thought I had most things I might want! I ended up using the last of my Amazon credit to order Tortuga 1667. I had seen it before and thought it looked simplistic, but I didn't realize it was a 2-9 player social logic/deduction game, and it would be nice to have a werewolf / Secret Hitler alternative.

EYEL1NER

I was trying to wait until Christmas to get any more board games. I thought I had most things I might want! I ended up using the last of my Amazon credit to order Tortuga 1667. I had seen it before and thought it looked simplistic, but I didn't realize it was a 2-9 player social logic/deduction game, and it would be nice to have a werewolf / Secret Hitler alternative.
I received my copy a few weeks back and flipped through the rulebook but it wasn't making sense to me at the time. I'm gonna have to track down a video playthrough at some point. I think I was reading the rulebook expecting a social deduction game similar to others on the market, and it is one, but it seems like there is more to it than the others on the market. Their earlier game about the Salem witch hunt seems to be a lot more straightforward and similar to other deduction/hidden role games.

Blizzard

Banned
I received my copy a few weeks back and flipped through the rulebook but it wasn't making sense to me at the time. I'm gonna have to track down a video playthrough at some point. I think I was reading the rulebook expecting a social deduction game similar to others on the market, and it is one, but it seems like there is more to it than the others on the market. Their earlier game about the Salem witch hunt seems to be a lot more straightforward and similar to other deduction/hidden role games.
I had also heard there's more to it than other social deduction games, which is exactly what made me so interested.

I prefer rules over videos so I should be fine.

EYEL1NER

I had also heard there's more to it than other social deduction games, which is exactly what made me so interested.

I prefer rules over videos so I should be fine.
I should probably open up the rules again. It wasn't anything in particular about the rules that I wasn't "getting;" I might have just had other things on my mind that day.

EYEL1NER

Just got five quick 3P games of Strike! in. Three of the wins went to me. Damn I love this game. Simple, quick, just straight up 'push your luck.'

maven

Race for the galaxy
Splendor
Seven wonders duel (2 player only)
Concordia (haven't played 2p myself, but apparently it works)
Race for the galaxy

Blizzard

Banned
Race for the galaxy
Splendor
Seven wonders duel (2 player only)
Concordia (haven't played 2p myself, but apparently it works)
Race for the galaxy
If you get race, throw in the gathering storm to complete it.

I like Oh My Goods with 2 players, expansion not required.

maven

Hmmm. I might check it out. I have played the base game hundreds of times without getting bored. What does gathering storm add?

fenners

Hmmm. I might check it out. I have played the base game hundreds of times without getting bored. What does gathering storm add?

Rounds out the card pool, giving you better options for some of the colour strategies, wider set of starting planets, replaces Gambling World.. Adds some "goal" tiles that you randomly pick from each game, giving mid-game bonuses to the player who does something "first", and some to the player with the "most" of something, depending on the tiles drawn.

Base + Gathering is near perfection IMO :)

Lyng

If you don't care about goals I can also recommend Base + Alien Artifacts. Adds a lot more cards and really balances the game. (Just leave out the orb thing)

+1 for Oh my Goods with 2. Fantastic game. A ton of depth for a very small footprint.

Blizzard

Banned
Rounds out the card pool, giving you better options for some of the colour strategies, wider set of starting planets, replaces Gambling World.. Adds some "goal" tiles that you randomly pick from each game, giving mid-game bonuses to the player who does something "first", and some to the player with the "most" of something, depending on the tiles drawn.

Base + Gathering is near perfection IMO :)
This poster beat me to basically all my answers.

In addition to the above, Gathering also adds the solo mode.

I ended up getting Pandemic: The Cure, and Fuse as my next games. I realized I love dice but don't actually have any purely dice-based games. And they can both be played solo, so that's a big plus.

With Fuse, I'm going to try to get my parents to get into it, haha, but I don't think it'll go well. I'll also be house/babysitting, so I'll see if my young niece can get into Fuse. But, again, I'm doubtful, haha.

Never played any Pandemic, but I like the concept of a dice version more.

When I thought about LotR like Rolento suggested, I got kinda apprehensive because I have to sleeve everything. I didn't feel like adding the cost of sleeves this time, so I went with dice!

Brought 'BANG the Dice Game' over to a friend's to play today. We had 6 guys.
First time I busted the game out, and it was a lot of fun.

One was really drunk when he showed up and he ended up spilling his beer, and one of the cards and a couple tokens absorbed some beer.. Guh. It was a character card though, so I suppose it won't really affect the gameplay much or at all. Just annoying.

I don't suppose they'll ship individual cards upon request, huh?

I like playing games with these guys when I can, but they're messy, don't care to keep cards facing the same directions, components all over the place, etc. I sleeve my cards because a couple of these guys have greasy fingers too.. Sadly, the sleeve didn't save that card.

Oh well. It happens. Just funny that after not having gone out for months to game, and finally having the opportunity to bust this game out and doing so, beer spills on my shit.

Ah well.

Top Bottom