• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Daytona game for arcades announced

TimmiT

source.gif
#DaytonaIsBack… Play it on Sega Booth 1606 @IAAPAHQ @OCCC 2 weeks today! #IAE16 #Daytona #ArcadeOnly
https://twitter.com/SegaAmusements/status/793495531473473536

New details unveiled in a Press release:

http://arcadeheroes.com/2016/11/01/sega-resurrects-daytona-usa-with-daytona-reloaded-arcade/

-Name was changed from what was shown in Chicago (Daytona Reloaded) to Daytona 3 Championship USA
-47" screen
-27" billboard marquee
-Link up to 8 machines
-Camera with in-game avatars
-New cars and game modes
-Operator adjustable "party mode" for tournaments
-based on the original Daytona USA engine to keep the physics
-Three new tracks plus remastered tracks

Likely this means there will be two cabinet versions. Sega's last arcade racer was Showdown where they did a "Special Attraction" version with big screens, motion seats and a huge marquee and a standard version you would find in most arcades. Special Attraction versions tend to be made for theme parks and cost around $120-$160k; standard versions tend to be around $8000.

Tizoc

Bit of a shame if it's only restricted to Arcades. Wonder if licensing has anything to do with it not being consoles or current platforms.

Regiruler

Are people really mad that arcades are getting things? It's not like this is something trapped in japan or whatnot.

Sweet! Hopefully it makes it to consoles along with new ports of the first two.

I'd hope that the arcade machine would pop up somewhere near me, but that seems unlikely.

If it's popular I could see it coming to digital stores on console and PC though.
Yeah I imagine (like most games that go to arcade first) they want to make it an event you have to pay for

Make some money and if it's successful bring it home SEGA, take everything I have

Also, LOL at getting a new Daytona before 90's Arcade Racer

djlr181

No point in getting excited if it stays in arcades.

Daytona USA has been a staple in arcades for 20 years. Dave and Busters keeps fixing the old units. There's obviously some demand for something new. Also, I don't care if it stays in arcades as long as it appears somewhere near me. Hell YEA!!!!!

ROLLING START

Also, please be AM2 and I hope Nagoshi & Mitsuyoshi are involved.

IronLich

Are people really mad that arcades are getting things? It's not like this is something trapped in japan or whatnot.

But it is being trapped in arcades. You don't get more niche than that.

Granted, I'm glad Daytona is given another chance to shine, but if your game is an arcade exclusive in 2016, it's going to die miserably unless it eventually shows up on other platforms.

Camjo-Z

Du doo doo du doo du doo du doo doooooo
a console port as well please so i will actually have a chance at playing this

Whoa, nice. I hope Raw Thrills aren't on this, and I hope Dave & Busters eventually get a few cabinets. The first one is pretty much a mainstay there.

Vespa

Hoping SEGA having the Daytona license means a Daytona 2 port...now is the time for a battle on the edge!

Top Bottom