• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new DQIX / FFIV DS / ToI weekly Jump scans

ITA84

Red Scarlet said:
Cecil is getting some "Hero Song" used on him; I don't remember that in the original. Or Cecil is learning the 'sing' ability and using it on himself..very interesting.

To me, it looks like you can assign abilities of 'lost' party members to another character, like Gilbert's Sing ability which Cecil uses in that scan: if it's like that, we might not have interchangeable party members like in FFIVa.

ITA84 said:
To me, it looks like you can assign abilities of 'lost' party members to another character, like Gilbert's Sing ability which Cecil uses in that scan: if it's like that, we might not have interchangeable party members like in FFIVa.

that's what it looks like to me (the image of the group standing around Edward) - any Japanese speaking Gaffers able to confirm what the menus say in this screen?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Clever Pun said:
that's what it looks like to me (the image of the group standing around Edward) - any Japanese speaking Gaffers able to confirm what the menus say in this screen?
I do believe it says
This game has a new system where the skills of characters who have left your party can be inherited. Every inherent ability is now able to be used by different characters.

Oh, man, three absolute must-haves.

FFIV and DQIX are both looking phenomenal -- much better than I expected the DS to be capable of. I can't wait!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
uh, i'd always assumed that yang was chinese-looking -- maybe i never looked at the amano art that closely. he's like a kung fu teddy roosevelt

PolyGone

Banned
drohne said:
uh, i'd always assumed that yang was chinese-looking -- maybe i never looked at the amano art that closely. he's like a kung fu teddy roosevelt

heh, yeah its kind of weird - Rydia looks more Asian than he does!

...but anyway these scans are just awesome. I can't wait for this game!

DataBot

DQIX / FFIV DS / ToI
All 3 look great and with DQIV (+ V + VI later) coming also soon cant wait to take on tehese little Devils.
RPG Explosion on DS Confirmed

ITA84 said:

Huh, this sounds really lame -- changing party members and fighting with different sets of abilities is a big part of FF IV. If you can learn all the abilities of previous characters, then it's like they never left ... it doesn't matter who's in your party ... very disappointing.

Desiderus

neo2046 said:
148156061420070913110412.jpg
oh sexy

Where do these Soul Calibur IV scans go?

They famitsu but I haven't seen them posted yet? unless I missed them in the earlier thread.

ant1532

Banned
DQIX looks damn amazing. Can't freaking wait. And I don't even play dragon quest. I like the art of the left of one of them scans.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
everything's looking good for the sqeenix's DS efforts... or at least better than their next gen ones.

(Also hoooooly shit at the new SC character.)

Wilsongt

Final Fantasy IV, why must your grip on me be so tight? I've played you so many times before, and now you are demanding that I play you again... and I shall obey.

Anyway, Dragon Quest IX looks amazing, and it will be a day one purchase when it is released here in America. I'll reserve my judgement on ToI, though. I'm not an overly huge fan of the Tales of series, and wasn't the last DS forway a little underwhelming?

Jiggy

Can't wait for DQIX--it's doing so many things right.

-Has the Dragon Quest name and proven lineage and quality
-Doing its part to advance character customization as an RPG standard
-It's for the SNES 2 (DS)
-Upholding a gaming tradition that's all but lost elsewhere, the turn-based RPG battle system
-Allowing hero gender selection again
-Using non-realistic graphics in this day and age

And the music and gameplay will probably be awesome as per usual, but unfortunately that can't be proven through scans. In any case, a true AAA third-party DS game here. Dragon Quest IV will beat it to the punch slightly in terms of being an AAA game, but even as much as I love DQIV, it doesn't have character customization nor the odds to shape some of the future of gaming in the way DQIX can--to say "hey, turn-based is okay, big-budget games on portable systems can be successful, and character customization is the way to go." Just can't wait.

firex

So, is it safe to assume in the DQ9 scans that the smaller pics of the character in different outfits are one person, and therefore DQ9 might have a job system?

I hope so... even if DQ6 and 7 didn't really get it "right" like FF5 does for me, they can probably make it incredible.

ethelred

Greenpanda said:
Huh, this sounds really lame -- changing party members and fighting with different sets of abilities is a big part of FF IV. If you can learn all the abilities of previous characters, then it's like they never left ... it doesn't matter who's in your party ... very disappointing.

It's a pretty substantial change, but I don't agree that it's a bad thing. While Final Fantasy IV was a pretty huge leap ahead in terms of gameplay at the time it came out -- introducing the ATB system -- it's pretty archaic nowadays because that ATB was the sole thing that really made it stand apart, and since most subsequent FFs (V, VI, VII, VIII, IX) also included that, FFIV feels pretty blah in comparison. It doesn't have a job system like V or a skill system like IX or junctioning like VIII.

I think it's a good thing to rework that gameplay a bit to add more customization elements and more to the character development system aside from "level up, get spell." I don't think it'll completely be irrelevant who's in your party -- I imagine each character's original job will still play a big role. But this'll be a way to enhance White Mage Rosa or Paladin Cecil further and customize their abilities, which I welcome. Besides, I'm a huge fan of Ito and I'm sure he'll nail whatever gameplay changes get made.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
firex said:
So, is it safe to assume in the DQ9 scans that the smaller pics of the character in different outfits are one person, and therefore DQ9 might have a job system?

I hope so... even if DQ6 and 7 didn't really get it "right" like FF5 does for me, they can probably make it incredible.

You can dress up your character in DQIX

Aeana

I wonder when they're going to start showing something about the main quest in DQ9... they seem to be focusing quite a lot on the multiplayer aspect. Kind of distressing, since I really don't care about the multiplayer at all. :\

ethelred

Aeana said:
I wonder when they're going to start showing something about the main quest in DQ9... they seem to be focusing quite a lot on the multiplayer aspect. Kind of distressing, since I really don't care about the multiplayer at all. :\

Yeah... I want a meaty, substantial single-player quest like Horii promised from the start.

Jiggy

Aeana said:
I wonder when they're going to start showing something about the main quest in DQ9...
Saving the best for last, one can hope.

By the way, what is the multiplayer component all about? Is it some sort of separate thing, or just co-op in the single player like Tales of Symphonia/Final Fantasy VI/etc.?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I think it was said that you created your party members at Ruidas tavern (like DQ3 omfg) or some shit, I recall hearing something like that before.

so maybe just maybe DQ9 will have a job system similar to DQ3? that would be so hot.

Aeana

Error said:
I think it was said that you created your party members at Ruidas tavern (like DQ3 omfg) or some shit, I recall hearing something like that before.

so maybe just maybe DQ9 will have a job system similar to DQ3? that would be so hot.

So far, Luida's has only been mentioned in a multiplayer context. It's where you go to start a multiplayer connection.

sphinx

the piano man
I hate myself for buying FFIV advance a couple of months ago...

FUCK you, Square enix, you'll pay some day.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I WANT FFIV! But I don't want a DS/portable console.

:|

sphinx

the piano man
TheJollyCorner said:
no. YOU'LL pay! hohoho! *high-fives the ghost of The Gooch*

I am not paying shit :lol :lol .

I won't buy this game, no matter who many extra dungeons or "new features" it includes.

FFS, it's like the 4th or 5th time we'll get a FF4 port/remake.

Rolf NB

Don't like what I'm seeing. I'm used to JRPG casts being a tad young, but those characters in DQ IX are toddlers. Wtf.
FF IV in-game character graphics looks pretty bad to me. Too few polygons for more realistically proportioned characters something something. Yes, CG Rydia looks hot, but who cares.
Tales of thing there looks fine.

PolyGone

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Don't like what I'm seeing. I'm used to JRPG casts being a tad young, but those characters in DQ IX are toddlers. Wtf.

if you hate toddlers so much stop acting like one :( boo hoo I don't like the characters boo hoo - at least they're fully customizable unlike the more realistic / older characters seen in many others.

FF IV in-game character graphics looks pretty bad to me. Too few polygons for more realistically proportioned characters...

I feel bad you can't appreciate the art, I think they look about on par with FF9 if not better. Of course we'd all like to see the remake for the wii instead, but as it is I think it looks quite nice. :)

Top Bottom