• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age 3 Details And Concept Art

Cameron Lee @BioWare ‏@Cameron__Lee
Question: how much control will you have over your character... Mike "you will be human" #DA3

iDby2p8EopWSH.gif

Trigger

so any bets on what form the inevitable multiplayer mode will take on?

Probably multiplayer missions that give bonuses to the main game. You and friend play as low level servants of the main character. Knights figiting darkspawn, rogues stealing a heavily guarded treasure, etc.

Eh after what happen with the last few bioware games..I want to say I am not interested..but somehow and some reason I will prob end up getting DA3..

Mario007

I don't think ME2 is a bad game, but it also made me completely uninterested in playing ME3.

I thought ME2 was a shooter with a decent story and dating sim (though the story really amounted to 'here, recruit these 9 people and then we'll given you 30 minutes of actual plot relevant details that advance the franchise further).

DA2 was a hack-and-slash with heavy RPG elements. The story was something different and I loved the fact that it was so disjointed.

Neither of the games was amazing.

Also Hawke>Shephard (talking male version of both protags here)

I "trust" the DA team more for now. The ME team has 2 bad games on them compared to just 1 for the DA team.

It could definitely even out though.
I don't think that's a fair comparison, even if you can call Mass Effect 2 and 3 bad games with a straight face, which I personally couldn't, they're not even near as bad as DA2 was.

DA2 is an actual bad game, with base design flaws and obvious rushed aspects that show everywhere along with an even more horrible streamlining that ME2 ever had.

charsace

I'm going to make a comprehensive thread later, but for now I'll dump tidbits in here:

They reconfirmed it is being recorded and will be shown later.

"Cameron Lee @BioWare ‏@Cameron__Lee
John Perry said he's had a longer pre-production on DA3 than any other BioWare project he's worked on. "

JP said just one level in #DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels "

Haha Mike "here's a castle... And you *cough*... may or may not take control of it" pic.twitter.com/PvWXY2fa

Mike: customization is going to be bigger than Dragon age origins. Follower customization etc. #DA3

Question: how much control will you have over your character... Mike "you will be human" #DA3

They're also showing a bunch of concept art, but it's currently really, really bad photos and they promise direct feed later so I won't bother reposting it yet.
This means nothing. They were saying a lot of things up until they showed DA2 for the first time.

bhlaab

I hope Isabella returns. Did you guys know that she likes to have sex? I hope they expand on that concept, and make her boobs HELLA BIGGER *throws up the horns*

I'm going to make a comprehensive thread later, but for now I'll dump tidbits in here:

They reconfirmed it is being recorded and will be shown later.

John Perry said he's had a longer pre-production on DA3 than any other BioWare project he's worked on. "

JP said just one level in #DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels "

Haha Mike "here's a castle... And you *cough*... may or may not take control of it" pic.twitter.com/PvWXY2fa

Mike: customization is going to be bigger than Dragon age origins. Follower customization etc. #DA3

They're also showing a bunch of concept art, but it's currently really, really bad photos and they promise direct feed later so I won't bother reposting it yet.

Human again makes me pout. But that's minor.

Piecake

My hopes are raised from that concept art (still wont buy it uness it gets good reviews here, and is real cheap)

Though one of the reasons why i have more faith in the ME team than DA is that stylistically, ME has always looked fantastic. DA? 1 was dull and boring, while two was just crap. Hopefully with the new engine they can actually get close to that art though

Deadly

Nice! hopefully it's similar to how NWN2 did it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, I'm going to split this thread out.

Give me a bit to get everything together and I'll take all the posts with me.

Piecake

Are those two romance options?

It would make my day if we found out the romance options in DA3 were dramatically reduced, and the 1 or 2 that are available are made far more significant and developed

Right now, bioware's romances just feel like a pointless mini-game

I have a feeling that a nasty surprise is awaiting you.

Eh, so long as they actually have time to finish the game, it should be better than 2. Though thats not saying that the game will actually be good or not

Pranay

I have a feeling that a nasty surprise is awaiting you.

I am pretty sure their are tons of people here and in general who felt the game had good ideas on paper but it was rushed, had less development time and yes their were some bad decisions which was made by Bioware but i feel that was due to less development time.

I think with proper development time, i see this game being a real nice sequel to Origins.

Terra_Ex

It would make my day if we found out the romance options in DA3 were dramatically reduced, and the 1 or 2 that are available are made far more significant and developed

Right now, bioware's romances just feel like a pointless mini-game
Oh for shame, and after they went to all the trouble of drafting in these two ministers to discuss the new scorpion king romance options pictured...

Refocusing on the fundamentals would be a smart first move but I think they've fractured their target audience(s) too many ways to bring it back for this one, when you factor in acclimation to the new tech and the likelihood that teams have been shifted around to accomodate other projects I wouldn't hold out much hope for this. I expect Frostbite 2 will provide some much needed shininess to distract players from the underlying flaws. Looking forward to the PR and impending fallout nonetheless :)

I just hope they have learned decent level design.

Both DA:O and DA2 had AWFULLY designed levels.

I'd say BioWare in general has never designed very good levels or areas in any of their 3D era games, starting with Neverwinter Nights. At best they're inoffensive but rarely are they that great.

Art 1: Looks like dalish elves on the warpath?
Art 2: Elvish ruins no doubt
Art 3: Looks to be in the Anderfels, maybe Weisshaupt Fortress? Although no grey warden flag.

First is definitely the dalish in one of their caravans. The style of landships or whatever is the same as Dragon Age 2.
Second, is just some ruin- its a Grey Warden plopped in there for sure, but who knows what type of ruin.
Third could be anywhere- I thought the Anderfels was supposed to be more temperate and a totally blighted landscape...not all Skyrim looking. Maybe thats the Frostback mountains?

BioWare generally hasn't done a very good job defining what certain areas of the world are supposed to look like or why they are the way they are. I hope they at least try to make regions make sense and not just plop stuff in because it looks cool- like how all the armor in DA2 had random spikes jutting out everywhere for no apparent purpose.

Refocusing on the fundamentals would be a smart first move but I think they've fractured their target audience(s) too many ways to bring it back for this one, when you factor in acclimation to the new tech and the likelihood that teams have been shifted around to accomodate other projects I wouldn't hold out much hope for this. I expect Frostbite 2 will provide some much needed shininess to distract players from the underlying flaws. Looking forward to the PR and impending fallout nonetheless :)
Yeah, you can already see it in the first press release they had where they spent most of it trying to prop up how awesome it will be now simply because its on Frostbite 2. I don't doubt it'll look nice (and if it doesn't then they're really in trouble) but the problems that DA2 had go WAY deeper than simply slapping on some Frostbite 2 powered lens flare and calling it a day.

diamount

Banned
I think it's best for us not to get too excited, this is Bioware here. It'll probably be more like the one in Dragon Age Awakening.

Which most likely borrowed from NW2. I can definitely see Awakening being a sort of test bed for future castle/fort management mechanics.

diamount

Banned
First is definitely the dalish in one of their caravans. The style of landships or whatever is the same as Dragon Age 2.
Second, is just some ruin- its a Grey Warden plopped in there for sure, but who knows what type of ruin.
Third could be anywhere- I thought the Anderfels was supposed to be more temperate and a totally blighted landscape...not all Skyrim looking. Maybe thats the Frostback mountains?

Yeah Frostback is most likely it then, always assumed north = cold.

IoCaster

I've pretty much lost all interest in the DA setting, story and characters. I recently came across this post on SA by forum member Psyker...

So i felt the need to re-run through the Dragon Age comics to get some plotlines straight, so this is just The Silent Grove 1-6 for now:

-King Maric has never been declared dead, per se. His ship vanished several years prior to DA1 at sea.
-Alistair is tipped off by Zevran that there may be clues to Maric's demise in the Antivan archives.
-Alistair absconds from Ferelden, hiring Isabella + crew to take him to Antiva. Varic is there because he's travelling with Isabella because he likes adventures, tits, or loose women.
-In the Antivan archive, they're intercepted by Claudio Valisti, a Prince of Antiva, who also happens to be Isabella's ex-husbands business partner/best friend. And by ex-husband, I mean dead husband.
-They're let loose by Claudio because he's apparently the one who tipped Zevran off.
-They infiltrate Velabanchel Prison, which is basically Gitmo, to find Maric or at least pursue the trail.
-They find an old man who was cellmates with Maric and informs Alistair that Maric was freed many, many years ago by.. Flemeth. No reason given, Flemeth rolled up to the prison with dragons and demanded his release.
-Surprise! Wasn't Flemeth. It was Yavana, the Antivan Witch of the Wilds!
-Cue hunting down Yavana, find out that Yavana is keeping watch over an old Tevinter dragon bestiary. It basically has a ton of Dragons in suspended animation, with one guarding it under Yavana's control.
-Alistair learns that Maric's line has the Blood of Old or w/e that can bring dragons out of hibernation early.
-Side-lore: Yavana is Flemeth's daughter. Morrigan's sister. The quip about Flemeth consuming her offspring is probably inaccurate - more like she puts a part of her essence into them, like she did in DA2 with the locket.
-Yavana kicks them out, they get ambushed by Claudio who was herding Alistair towards finding The Silent Grove for his 'master.' Claudio lets Isabella/Varic go because Alistair gives himself up without a (much of a) fight.
-Varic/Isabella go back to Yavana and demand assistance. Yavana heals their pretty awful wounds, then does typical cryptic "you will do your part" shit.
-They ambush Claudio's camp. Isabella kills Claudio right before Alistair was about to get his master's name out of him.
-Yavana appears! She yanks Claudio's soul back from the Fade, demands his masters name! It's Aurelian Titus. Who's Aurelian Titus? Nobody knows! But Yavana and her tits are happy to know!
-Back to The Silent Grove. Yavana takes Alistair downstairs to the dragon egg area, informs him he's to be part of a ritual to awaken the queen Dragon. Also informed that Dragons are apparently the blood of the world, so if they die, errrybody dies.
-Alistair murders that bitch. She took King Maric from the Antivans instead of giving him back to Ferelden for her own agenda, and is blamed for everything that happened in Ferelden. Pretty angsty. Alistair tells the dragon to fuck itself, and it promptly backs off.

That concludes The Silent Grove.

Then I realized that the next series, Those Who Speak, is on part 2 of 3 so here's that:

-Alistair and co. go to Tevinter, because apparently Aurelian Titus isn't a space marine and he's a Tevinter Magister.
-Cue James Bondish ballroom scene - Tevinter is high decadence - Varric introduces them to Maevaris Tilani, a Tevinter Magister and his cousin's widow. So she's a hot, blonde, dwarf-fucking mage.
-Cue another Tevinter Magister, Devon, who has some hinting backstory about isabella's numerous fuckups. She promptly pulls a knife on him, and he shushes.
-Aurelian Titus appears! He obviously is the only evil-looking dude around.
-Alistair wastes no time confronting this fucker. Titus pulls Tevinter magic on Alistair, but uh, Alistair's a Templar! Doesn't work out too well. Cue big battle scene. (Maevaris assists them).
-Isabella kills Devon mid-battle for fun or something.
-Aurelian Titus is basically leader of a Dragon Cult, hence him wanting Alistair's blood.
-Everyone leaves to Seheris, Titus's home island.
-Two Qunari Dreadnoughts intercept them, as the Qunari have never really stopped beating Tevinter's ass in centuries. Also, Qunari captain is a female - basically a Dranei from WoW.
-Cue capturing of Alistair and company.
-Brings them to some Qunari fortress.
-Isabella thrown in a hole. Tortured, interrogated. Basically, Isabella either converts willingly to the Qun or is converted in a lobotomizing way.
-Find out that Isabella's name isn't Isabella.
-Alistair/Varric also imprisoned, but in much nicer quarters with food and no torture.
-3-4 weeks passes of daily Izzy-torture.
-Alistair/Varric taken to the Arishok. It's Sten! Except now his name is Arishok. Informs Alistair he's an idiot for pursuing Titus as Titus just needs him for his blood. Sten knows more than he's telling Alistair. Sten backhands the fuck out of Alistair for touching him and reminds him to know his place.
-Backstory on Isabella: Mother converted to Qun, Isabella didn't. Mother sold Isabella to Antivan merchant. Isabella is a pirate with a heart of gold and hates slavery. Random backstory elements pop up during questioning.
-Qunari priestess chick's goal is to get Isabella to atone for her sin of stealing their Bible, Isabella reverts to 'fuck authority' mode, comic ends with Priestess about to jam Isabella's face into their Qunari lobotomization magic sphere thing.

Enjoy!

Going by recent history I have to assume that all of this shit is canon and will be an integral part of the story progression for the DA franchise. No thanks.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I know more then a few that feel this way.

I however truly hate mute leads and it's come to the point where if the game is story heavy I won't play it if the characters are mute. Just takes me out of the exeperince and I enjoy a fair number of VA's.

It's one reason why I didn't help with the kickstarter for Project Eternity because I have no doubts that while the game will be great it won't have voiced leads.

Voiced lead just detracted from the dialogue complexity the game can have. Its not like voice affects anything important.

Top Bottom