• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age 3 Details And Concept Art

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Don't they usually hype up considerably prominent covers before reveals?

Squire

Banned
My first thought when I saw Reiner's tweet was that this was Destiny.

Because I don't follow Reiner, but I do follow Geoff Keighley, who retweeted it. I still think Destiny was supposed to be a VGA reveal and they pulled it after the leak. Whatever it was GK tweeted right after it hit doesn't at all seem like a coincidence to me. And honestly: I think Bungie leaked it themselves because they think they're too good for the VGAs and regretted agreeing to the reveal to start.

That's neither here nor there though. I'd love for it to be DA3.

Patryn

I just want it to be announced early enough that it's playable at PAX East. I really want to get my hands on it so I can decide if I want it before buying it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay so they finished capturing video footage for marketing:

gamefootage0alfi.jpg

Either they're recording marketing materials months in advance (which would be... unusual to say the least given that you want to put your newest foot forward), or they're just going to show the game at EA's annual private Q1 showcase and then just announce it at a random date shortly after.

I just want it to be announced early enough that it's playable at PAX East. I really want to get my hands on it so I can decide if I want it before buying it.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a demo given that BioWare's last three games had one.

Dennis

Banned
So the sales of Dragon Age is approximately 33%/33%/33% between PC, PS3 and Xbox 360?

Interesting to say the least.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
He doesn't actually imply that it is a next-gen game. Maybe a cross-gen title then?

I think them not outright refusing it (and advocating the benefits) implies this old resume was probably right:

Dragon Age III

March 2012 to September 2012

Team Members: Tao Gu

Lead Level Designer for EASH team
In charge of concent and layout design from paper to engine for vertical slice
Scope of the DAIII has been chaged, which will target next gen platform and will be postpone to 2014.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501777

I mean it would be kind of weird to post that and then go "and we get none of those benefits, fuck yeah!"

He doesn't actually imply that it is a next-gen game. Maybe a cross-gen title then?

Unless Dragon Age III is going to hit retail within the next 12 months (which it most certainly won't) then it's got to be a next-gen title, implication or no. DAII was horrid from a technical perspective. And the combat was atrocious. Better hardware is a must this time around, and Bioware knows it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SHIT MOUNTAIN WILL RETURN.

I really hope DA3 turns out to be good.

But who am I kidding. :(

well trying to stay positive, they delayed DA3 for a long time instead of just throwing a crappy sequel EA-style(and they most likely killed the plans for more DA2 dlcs just to focus on this)which can be a good thing.

Kosma

Banned
Unless Dragon Age III is going to hit retail within the next 12 months (which it most certainly won't) then it's got to be a next-gen title, implication or no. DAII was horrid from a technical perspective. And the combat was atrocious. Better hardware is a must this time around, and Bioware knows it.

DA was not hampered by hardware but by copy pasting enviroments and a budget that must have been in line with ios games.

Its like they gave a level editor to some interns and that was it.

I'm fine with it being next - gen. They need to take their time with this game, if it blows as bad as DA2 the series is finished.

I agree with a heavy heart. I loved Origins but DA2 was like walking in on your super model wife having sex with your worst enemy. On top of the Origins bed sheets you hand made yourself.

Other than KOTOR2, i don't think any RPG with a short dev period has been a success.

Either they're recording marketing materials months in advance (which would be... unusual to say the least given that you want to put your newest foot forward), or they're just going to show the game at EA's annual private Q1 showcase and then just announce it at a random date shortly after.

I wonder if more insight into DA3's release is given at EA's upcoming earnings report. Isn't that coming up in early February?

Okay this is totally a next-gen game:

Was there any doubt? Certainly it seemed slated for nextgen consoles, I think the question is whether they'll make it work with current gen consoles as well. Seeing as its Frostbite based, that's got to be a strong possibility. Then again, maybe they don't want to bother with that if it potentially forces too many restrictions on them.

DA was not hampered by hardware but by copy pasting enviroments and a budget that must have been in line with ios games.

Eh... Kirkwall was an ugly environment but them trying to fill it out with placeholder NPCs stripped from N64 era probably was a technical limitation:
mfxFX.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if more insight into DA3's release is given at EA's upcoming earnings report. Isn't that coming up in early February?
They mentioned they'll be giving insight into FY2014 at this financial call and then one in May.

However, they could just say "Dragon Age 3 is coming next fiscal year" and be rather unhelpful on that front.

EA does tend to have a February showcase in New York this time of year though: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/40161/EA_showcases_2012_lineup_at_New_York_showing.php#.UPHRFGcXfWE

EA's line-up is unusually barren right now though. For next fiscal year, excluding annual sports/racing games, they have a grand total of Battlefield 4, Dragon Age 3, and some Sims expansion packs announced as far as retail games go.

They would be missing a lot of potential press showings for Fall and later titles if they don't have at least something past March unveiled soon.

xenist

Despite having spent close to 100 hours in DAO every single fucking thing I see from DA2 makes me glad I didn't buy it. This was supposed to be a premier franchise you fucks!

They mentioned they'll be giving insight into FY2014 at this financial call and then one in May.

However, they could just say "Dragon Age 3 is coming next fiscal year" and be rather unhelpful on that front.

EA does tend to have a February showcase in New York this time of year though: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/40161/EA_showcases_2012_lineup_at_New_York_showing.php#.UPHRFGcXfWE

EA's line-up is unusually barren right now though. For next fiscal year, excluding annual sports/racing games, they have a grand total of Battlefield 4, Dragon Age 3, and some Sims expansion packs announced as far as retail games go.

They would be missing a lot of potential press showings for Fall and later titles if they don't have at least something past March unveiled soon.

It just seems odd to me how it seems like most big publishers seem to have a barren slate of games for pretty much everything post Q2 this year. Obviously that likely coincides with nextgen reveals around E3, but still, if everyone waits to unveil their big nextgen games at the same time, that kind of seems like it could mean some games end up getting lost in the shuffle.

Then again, maybe EA's sparse lineup is just further in line with their bigger and fewer mentality.

What the FUCK is this? Is this actually from DA 2?

Yup. Those bland looking elf creatures were BioWare basically trying to populate the city so that it actually felt like more than a handful of people lived in what was supposed to be a bustling metropolis.

Patryn

Even with the DA2 disaster, I can still see EA mandating that it comes out this holiday season, especially if Bethesda isn't launching Fallout 4 in that same window.

What bugged me is that everybody made fun of it looking and playing like Dynasty Warriors. These people had no idea how much Dynasty Warriors has improved! If ONLY Dragon Age 2 had the writing, customisation depth or combat richness of DW7 - THEN it would be interesting.

Aaron

I've always loved the grandeur of the writing in the Dynasty Warriors series, even when things are totally absurd with demons and other nonsense. I really don't expect Dragon Age III to match that level, especially with me slogging through ME3. The writing in that game is at best dour, and worst pulled from a Micheal Bay movie.

Complistic

I've always loved the grandeur of the writing in the Dynasty Warriors series, even when things are totally absurd with demons and other nonsense. I really don't expect Dragon Age III to match that level, especially with me slogging through ME3. The writing in that game is at best dour, and worst pulled from a Micheal Bay movie.

WE FIGHT OR WE DIE!

What an insult to Michael Bay movies.

Top Bottom