• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Personally I like the changes. Especially if you're able to further differentiate between characters that look similar. This timeline's Goku and Gohan should not have the same body type based on their lifestyle and demeanor towards fighting.

The new movies haven't darkened his skin though?

dragon-ball-z-revival-of-f.jpg

I guess his skin looks a bit more yellowish, but it's nowhere close to GT's tan.

is vegeta standing on a rock here or just floating? retconned height?

I like xenoverse's "demon world" stuff. None of the dragonball online stuff can really happen, even if it was going to be canon, not in this time span anyway.

I'd really like frieza's race to be a thing though. According to the first chapter of the pre movie manga (minor movie spoilers maybe?)
Frieza's never trained a day in his life, and his strength was completely natural. Meaning only 3 months of training put him in league with a being able to challenge the god of death.
. This means his race could actually be a regular source of threats and allies and sort of level the playing field as far as goku only being able to fight mythical beings.

Additionally, i think it'd be cool if the rest of the cast worked its way up to goku and vegeta's level. We saw how boring a whole series about goku saving the day was with GT.

I like xenoverse's "demon world" stuff. None of the dragonball online stuff can really happen, even if it was going to be canon, not in this time span anyway.

I'd really like frieza's race to be a thing though. According to the first chapter of the pre movie manga (minor movie spoilers maybe?)
Frieza's never trained a day in his life, and his strength was completely natural. Meaning only 3 months of training put him in league with a being able to challenge the god of death.
. This means his race could actually be a regular source of threats and allies and sort of level the playing field as far as goku only being able to fight mythical beings.

Additionally, i think it'd be cool if the rest of the cast worked its way up to goku and vegeta's level. We saw how boring a whole series about goku saving the day was with GT.
Freeza and Cold are specifically called "mutants" to explain how strong they are and Freeza is also said to be a prodigy, I doubt the rest of their race has anywhere near the potential he has.
Toriyama said:
"Freeza is what you might call a mutated life-form. Strictly speaking, Freeza’s father is a mutant with an abnormally high battle power. And, born from his father alone, still in strong possession of the mutant traits, was Freeza.
Accordingly, even saying “Freeza’s race”, these two are the only ones who possess an abnormal [level of] battle power and cruelty."
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/episode-bardock-akira-toriyama-super-qa/

As for the rest of the cast working their way up to Goku and Vegeta, ain't gonna happen, not after Goku and Vegeta became gods.

ChouGoku

but they're aliens

Kuririn, Yamucha, Tenshinhan(kinda), and the rest of the humans arent aliens. Goku definitely didnt start off as an alien and pre 21st Budokai Dragonball definitely was heavily influenced by the chinese story of Journey to the West. Plus Daizenshuu 7 said saiyan skin color is yellow. I mean I know they are aliens, but they arent Justin Chawtin white
I like xenoverse's "demon world" stuff. None of the dragonball online stuff can really happen, even if it was going to be canon, not in this time span anyway
How? I cant remember all of the details but it seemed like it could fit pretty well. (Maybe not the immediate stuff I dont remember that)

Kuririn, Yamucha, Tenshinhan(kinda), and the rest of the humans arent aliens. Goku definitely didnt start off as an alien and pre 21st Budokai Dragonball definitely was heavily influenced by the chinese story of Journey to the West. Plus Daizenshuu 7 said saiyan skin color is yellow. I mean I know they are aliens, but they arent Justin Chawtin white
But at the same time Vegeta used some English words to make him seem more foreign.

i wasn't talking about any of the humans, come on man

Shauni

So, I'm kind of curious if anyone knows this, but...

I know that's what is being said in the new movie is that Frieza is just naturally that strong and with training he gets near the level Goku and co is, but as I recently began watching Kai, Frieza explicitly mentioned training with his father. Is that just something that was added in the English dub, or maybe a minor recton? Just wondering. I mean it's a huge joke that they're trying to pull that Frieza either way

Magwik

Banned

I know that's what is being said in the new movie is that Frieza is just naturally that strong and with training he gets near the level Goku and co is, but as I recently began watching Kai, Frieza explicitly mentioned training with his father. Is that just something that was added in the English dub, or maybe a minor recton? Just wondering. I mean it's a huge joke that they're trying to pull that Frieza either way

Probably retcon or comes down to interpretation between training to get stronger and learning how to fight

ChouGoku

It may be an english dub thing, at least in the manga the only time Freeza mentions his father in the namek saga was when Goku hurts him and he says something like, the last person who hurt me was my father

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

I watched Japanese Kai recently and don't remember this at all, so...

NeonZ

Nah, the one after Kid Buu beats him up to a bloody pulp.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvkCBg6vQc

In fact, now that I remember, they also kept Kid Buu going to Grand Kai's planet and beating up Krillin, and the hell scene where past DB/DBZ villians were watching the fight.

The Buu Saga Kai is pretty useless. They cut some completely filler episodes, but a lot of the "in between scenes" filler was kept throughout the entire arc, even some stare downs and camera pans on the background... They did the Saiyan, Cell and Freeza Sagas in 99 episodes, but Buu by itself will end up taking about 60. And apparently the version being shown on tv is shorter than the one that will be released internationally and in DVD/Blu-Ray later, so it'll have even more filler.

I thought the story was pretty clever actually. When we see frieza in his saga he is never really pushed until the very end. He is just sitting around in his pod, not giving a F about anyone else because he doesn't have to.

The idea of ... hey ... what if he actually trained? HARD? For quite awhile ala Goku? He'd no doubt get a sizeable bump in power. Not near the level of which he seems to achieve in the new movie though. That kind of jump through simple training is nonsense. But it was an interesting theory to tackle. Sounds like they made a good movie out of it too. Can't wait to see it myself.

I have been away from this thread awhile. Still no official artwork or anything from the new show?

The Buu Saga Kai is pretty useless. They cut some completely filler episodes, but a lot of the "in between scenes" filler was kept throughout the entire arc, even some stare downs and camera pans on the background... They did the Saiyan, Cell and Freeza Sagas in 99 episodes, but Buu by itself will end up taking about 60. And apparently the version being shown on tv is shorter than the one that will be released internationally and in DVD/Blu-Ray later, so it'll have even more filler.

Yeah I figured. Pacing is all over the place in the Japanese broadcast. First few episodes had the blazing speed of a recap episode while these last few have been taking their sweet time. It's really a shame, Kai 2009 was excellent. I still appreciate the Vegeta scene though, even if the rest of that episode that spent showing Vegeta getting choked by Buu when that was only 5 panels.

Any idea when Buu Kai will be released on DVD?
I've almost finished watching the original DB and want to start with Z. Perhaps the Kai recut, but only if it's complete

Shauni

I thought the story was pretty clever actually. When we see frieza in his saga he is never really pushed until the very end. He is just sitting around in his pod, not giving a F about anyone else because he doesn't have to.

The idea of ... hey ... what if he actually trained? HARD? For quite awhile ala Goku? He'd no doubt get a sizeable bump in power. Not near the level of which he seems to achieve in the new movie though. That kind of jump through simple training is nonsense. But it was an interesting theory to tackle. Sounds like they made a good movie out of it too. Can't wait to see it myself.

It's not the worst idea ever or anything, but I don't know, it's still kind of hard for me to buy. We're seen characters so many leagues above Frieza in the show that trying to pump him as any kind of legitimate threat again makes me roll my eyes, unless he'd secretly been training for like 3 years or some shit. I could probably buy that.

Astral Dog

I dont think Friezas race is really relevant besides his inmediate family and ancestors. why his empire is ruled by someone like Sorbet or Tagoma?

Why we have not seen his race, other than videogames/additional content?

Could be an interesting storyline for Super, of course, who knows what could happen, but im sure its not the race, but the family that matters until now.

NeonZ

Apparently, Freeza's voice actor is being reported as having said that he has a role in Super. He also voiced Cooler and Chilled, so it could be another new member of his race, rather than Freeza himself returning yet again.

Any idea when Buu Kai will be released on DVD?
I've almost finished watching the original DB and want to start with Z. Perhaps the Kai recut, but only if it's complete

Do you mean an American set? There's no information at all.

But cell and 16 voice are the same, and gohan doesn't sound like he been smokeing . There also doesn't have that shit monologue.

sounds different to me, unless I watched something else.

also, gohans speech about letting it slip, and how A16's not being human, causing gohan to go ssj2 was missing.

Zubz

Banned
Apparently, Freeza's voice actor is being reported as having said that he has a role in Super. He also voiced Cooler and Chilled, so it could be another new member of his race, rather than Freeza himself returning yet again.

Aw no... I was really hoping we wouldn't get any more Freezas, barring a not-horrible re-visit to the Super 17 arc.

Branson

sounds different to me, unless I watched something else.

also, gohans speech about letting it slip, and how A16's not being human, causing gohan to go ssj2 was missing.

Good. That was terrible and not at all how the original scene went. Colleen is a much better actress. That scream going SS2 was amazing.

I love Dragon Ball as much as the next guy. I actually prefer the original series over Z, but can we just leave great things in the past? Is it simply impossible to create new things that are great?

Sheroking

I love Dragon Ball as much as the next guy. I actually prefer the original series over Z, but can we just leave great things in the past? Is it simply impossible to create new things that are great?

There are great new things and great old things. I dont give a fuck, just entertain me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom