• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores and Rumors.

FFChris

AltogetherAndrews said:
But then of course there is the matter of history; Microsoft dropped the Xbox like a bad habit once its 360 business was picking up steam, so I don't think people worrying about a similarly short life for the 360 are all that unreasonable.

The Xbox wasn't selling though, everyone last generation had a PS2 and that was the profitable, and everyones chosen, console. This generation there isn't a stand out console, and with the attach rate the 360 has I'd expect software companies would be more than happy to keep putting games on it.

SuperSonic1305 said:
There is no new info for any of those games. The only thing remotely new is Tomb Raider Underworld screens and a Fallout 3 screen

That's odd. Maybe it was a different magazine which had the info?

Thanks anyway.

Jirotrom

Philthy said:
Uh, considering it takes a few years to make a really decent game, this is exactly what they're doing with it. I don't know how someone can infer something other than that unless they're being a total spaz about it.

I disagree with the standards being lowered. Overall I think everything has been risen pretty dang high. It's taking so much effort to one-up everything as it is. I think the software sales numbers speak for themselves, this generation has been pretty amazing so far.
like i said for my tastes.

I could care less for gears of war and Bioshock Assassin's creed, Zelda TP, Mass Effect, Heavenly Sword, and crap load of other games have been a let down for me. But 2008... 2008 is where shit gets really good. DMC4, NG2, Tekken VI, Culdcept Saga. Like I said for my tastes its been a let down, I still played ps2 more than any of the next gen games this past year. Im not stating it was a bad year, because thats false it was a great year but it didn't start cooking until late, this goes for all current gen systems.

For the PS3 and wii this problem is acceptable for the 360 it sucks that it took this long fro great games to arrive.

FFChris said:
The Xbox wasn't selling though, everyone last generation had a PS2 and that was the profitable, and everyones chosen, console. This generation there isn't a stand out console, and with the attach rate the 360 has I'd expect software companies would be more than happy to keep putting games on it.

Hmm. There has got to be some revisionist history going here, because I do not remember Xbox having much trouble with 3rd party support. Gamecube, sure, but Xbox? Barring some odd issues with certain publishers, 3rd party support was fine on Xbox.

Innotech

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
I think part of the the problem here is that with MS having pruned itself of first party studios, some might be worried that one of the precious few studios it still has is locked up developing for a system that is not Xbox 360. Of course, one should probably take into account that studios might have several teams working on multiple games at once, and maybe it's not even handled by a first party studio.

But then of course there is the matter of history; Microsoft dropped the Xbox like a bad habit once its 360 business was picking up steam, so I don't think people worrying about a similarly short life for the 360 are all that unreasonable.
I think people should worry more about Sony dropping Ps3 prematurely. Xbox360 is making bank for MS. they wont drop it like they did the xbox, which was hemmorhaging money.

Xun

AltogetherAndrews said:
The Xbox 360 is doing far better than the original Xbox, which makes a lot of sense, since the brand is far bigger now. I think the first to go will be the Wii, followed by either the 360 or PS3. But if Sony were smart they'd aim to release second or first.

I do however think each system will have support after the next system is released.

giggas

B-Rad Lascelle said:
The downright obscene milking of the Guitar Hero franchise is just making my decision to hold off on GH3 that much easier.

Agreed. I'm pretty much done with the series. Maybe a few years from now I'll buy whatever the latest one is, but no way am I going to be following it anymore.

Azih

AltogetherAndrews said:
Hmm. There has got to be some revisionist history going here, because I do not remember Xbox having much trouble with 3rd party support. Gamecube, sure, but Xbox? Barring some odd issues with certain publishers, 3rd party support was fine on Xbox.
Not enough to be profitable and not nearly at the 360 level.

Plus Microsoft was hell bent on beating Sony and decided that launching early was the only way to make a dent on the Playstation brand mindshare. The situation is completely different now.

So I'm the only one who cares about the Nights remake not seeing a US release?

I mean really now is there seriously a more important topic of conversation in this thread?

If anyone is wondering there are 3 Tomb Raider: Underworld screenshots. It looks like a mix of classic tomb raider environments with an Angel of Darkness atmosphere. Also Fallout 3 screen as a big Berserker from GoW type monster in it.

Dever

Banned
Maybe it's a HD-DVD game for the Xbox 360 Ultimate am i rite lulz? But hey, wasn't there supposed to be a Killzone 2 preview in this issue? Did it get moved to the next one?

Dever said:
Maybe it's a HD-DVD game for the Xbox 360 Ultimate am i rite lulz? But hey, wasn't there supposed to be a Killzone 2 preview in this issue? Did it get moved to the next one?

Killzone 2, Alan Wake... what happened here?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SuperSonic1305 said:
If anyone is wondering there are 3 Tomb Raider: Underworld screenshots. It looks like a mix of classic tomb raider environments with an Angel of Darkness atmosphere. Also Fallout 3 screen as a big Berserker from GoW type monster in it.

Fuck those, Alan Wake and Killzone 2, stat. :D

twinturbo2 said:
Retro needs to revive that idea for the Wii. A Twisted Metal clone using the Wiimote for control would be so awesome.
Wii owners will be too busy playing Mario Kart Wii's battle mode, to notice a Twisted Metal clone. Retro should make a new Kid Icarus Wii game.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
So I'm the only one who cares about the Nights remake not seeing a US release?

I mean really now is there seriously a more important topic of conversation in this thread?
Wasn't really news to me or I'd be freaking.

Heard from someone up the chain a bit that the remake wouldn't hit here unless NiGHTS JoD did serious gangbusters, and it didn't.

But hey, import-a-go-go. If you were dedicated like me you'd be moving to Japan for it. ;)

itxaka

Defeatist
SuperSonic1305 said:
Next issue is about PS3 games in 2008.

GAF > EGM confirmed

They will probably copy the article posted here :p

1st party game? Halo 4. Xbox 720 sells 3.3 million consoles on launch day.

dionysus

Yaldog
Has there ever been a franchise milked like GH is going to be this year?

I think one game a year is too much, much less 4. I also thought that one of the original pitches for downloadable content was that it would extend the life of games. GH now has DC, but they are coming even faster!

Wolffen

AltogetherAndrews said:

Microsoft's biggest reason for dropping the Xbox and moving to the 360 was simply the fact they were losing their shirt in manufacturing. They rushed it to market so fast, they let their "partners" screw them on contracts and didn't plan at all for die shrink and such. In theory, your hardware is supposed to get cheaper and cheaper to manufacture as time goes on. That was never the case for the Xbox, and would never be the case due to lack of planning on Microsoft's part. Then given the fact they came out a year after the PS2 and had to price match with the PS2 (which was getting cheaper for Sony to make and selling gangbusters), they were doubly screwed. Rather than continue to support a hardware money pit, they chose to move to new hardware and have a go at a system that would scale well and be cheaper to manufacture in the long run. Only this time around, they forgot to, y'know, make sure the thing would last more than 12 months and such. They were so focused on saving money this time around, they skimped on the engineering and QA as well, apparently.

Hopefully the next time around, MS will have some real CE engineers and QA engineers design the 360's successor and spend money on a decent support group and not have to write off 1 billion in RROD repairs.

Jcgamer60

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wasn't really news to me or I'd be freaking.

Heard from someone up the chain a bit that the remake wouldn't hit here unless NiGHTS JoD did serious gangbusters, and it didn't.

But hey, import-a-go-go. If you were dedicated like me you'd be moving to Japan for it. ;)

How were the sales of JoD btw? Any actual numbers?

Red Steel 2 apparently being handed to another developer because it's not going well. Online co-op and release in 2008 likely.

Online Co-Op?
I sure hope so.
Also, I wonder what team is handling it now...

Jcgamer60 said:
How were the sales of JoD btw? Any actual numbers?
We'll find out how the first week was in two weeks for NA. In Japan, 17k first week then it dropped out of the top 30. I'm guessing it's maybe at 25-28k maximum there.

kswiston

People thinking that the Wii will be supported beyond the launch of the Wii 2 (or whatever it ends up being) are forgetting the past. Nintendo systems are still defined by Nintendo games, and Nintendo will drop Wii like a bad habit as soon as they release its successor.

Lets take a look at recent Nintendo system releases and the suport given by Nintendo to the preceding system after its release:

- N64 launches in 1996. Nintendo publishes 2 games for the SNES from 1997 onwards (both Japan only).
- Gamecube launches in 2001. Nintendo stops publishing games for N64 by the end of that year.
- Wii launches in 2006. Nintendo stops publishing games for the Gamcube by the end of that year.

Other than the NES, Nintendo has never really supported a home console after the release of a newer one. I don't see why things will be different this time. They will probably just do what they always do and convert any late Wii projects to Wii 2 projects when they're ready to make the generation leap.

Third parties will continue to publish a few titles for the Wii, but they will follow Nintendo's lead and divert most of their efforts elsewhere.

I think a similar pattern would have shown itself in Nintendo handhelds if Nintendo had a better idea of how insanely successful the DS would end up being. They had no problem killing the Gameboy color after two and a half years when the GBA was released, even though Pokemon was selling buckets of GBCs. However, they seemed to hedge their bets with the DS, continuing to offer full-fledged support to the GBA for all of 2005 before it was apparent that the DS was going to take off.

Dunlop

Red Steel 2 apparently being handed to another developer because it's not going well. Online co-op and release in 2008 likely.

Good stuff, I'm still on the fence of how the Wii will handle a real sword fighting game (cough...starwars) as you will always be out of synch when someone parries your sword.

GrayFoxPL

Kyoufu said:
I wonder who the "major Japanese publisher" is..?

Expect arcade perfect hdfied versions of:

Scud Race

Daytona USA series

Sega Rally series

Virtua Fighter 1-3

Crazy Taxi

and much much more...

Berieve.

I want to! :(

Dunlop said:
Good stuff, I'm still on the fence of how the Wii will handle a real sword fighting game (cough...starwars) as you will always be out of synch when someone parries your sword.

I don't think 1:1 will work well, simply because of how many variables there are.
But a more advanced gesture system, along with accurate swipes (left to slash left, ect) would work a lot better.

Dascu said:
Jade Raymond & Co.

So, RS2 will be mostly white and some weird acid trip?

Edag Plata said:
Because Harmonix does Rock Band, not Activision's crappy developers.

But when you have MTV and EA who are arguably the biggest milking whores in their respective industries, Harmonix won't have much say.

Jcgamer60

Segata Sanshiro said:
We'll find out how the first week was in two weeks for NA. In Japan, 17k first week then it dropped out of the top 30. I'm guessing it's maybe at 25-28k maximum there.

I suppose if Nights is a worldwide failure that will stop Sega from reviving burning rangers :(

Top Bottom