• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Eshop Card Designs and a look back on past Nintendo Prepaid cards.

So last week I saw there are new Eshop Card Designs:
C86H5ePUMAAnqzk.jpg

They keep in line with having Mario characters be representatives for different values.

New designs appeared February in Japan though Mario and Peach were reversed in comparative value and Yoshi is the lowest value instead of Luigi.
C5mEjyxU8AAjWaO.jpg

Amazon has several addition designs for different amounts available digitally:
C95kR6MUMAAvl7A.jpg

Donkey Kong us only available at Games top right now.

Humorously Toad is worth the least. Also why do you have a $45 one when you already have a $50 one.

Of course past Eshop cards still work exactly the same.

There are the old standard ones which you can still find some places:
nintendo_eshop_wii_u_3ds_cards.jpg

There was a 3DS-only one before the Wii U but I haven't seen them in years:
1466491431_main_Nintendo_eShop_Card_20_Dollar_US.jpg

The 5 past standard Mario ones:
EShop_Cards.jpg

prepaid-cards.jpg

Best Buy also has this 3-pack of ten dollar cards:
8193071_sa.jpg

From my memory I think they came out in Holiday 2015? I think they intended as almost stocking suffers you can give to multiple people as gifts.

Also some from the UK:
CI16_3DS_DownloadContent_eShop_Cards_UK_image912w.jpg

Actually while looking up card images apparently Amazon starting selling those three extra Eshop Amounts ($5, $45 and $75) last November. Here were the prior images with Smash Link making the cut:
CyYMNWvXAAAwRgv.jpg

Once again in the $45 amount is confusing.

Then there are the 6 Mario AR ones which each housed an AR card inside the packaging:
special-edition-ar-cards.png

nintendo-ar-eshop-cards.png

maxresdefault.jpg

These worked with the Photos with Mario App for 3DS:
SI_3DS_PhotosWithMario.jpg

photos-with-mario-ar.jpg

These AR Cards are the reason why I still buy physical Nintendo cards unlike how I buy Live and PSN credit. I might as well get a little bonus if its the same cost to me ultimately.

There were also several more AR cards only released in Japan:
ancl_ar_cards.jpg

pikmin_ar_cards-300x125_a.jpg

These also had Photos with Animal Crossing/Pikmin Apps and the Animal Crossing one was actually released in Europe:
NIxeOyF.png

Photos-WithAC_Plakat_NEU_image600w.png

Those aren't the only Japanese exclusives. For example there were Ehsop cards that also gave 5 bonus Badge Center plays:
CpTJCrwVYAAXTwo.jpg:large
Nintendo-Badge-Center-prepaid-eShop-card.jpg

Or the more recent Breath of the Wild:
C6Yvxm1UoAAq2BX.jpg

Of course there was Nintendo's first digital currency Wii/DSi/Nintendo Points:
41GVRD77EBL.jpg

e7976ecc-c4ed-4baf-9b50-3164224083c3_1.852f6136483999a172c50013b0366291.jpeg

B001TOQ8KC.lg.gif

I bought several of these at Toys R Us all the way into 2015. The Wii Shop Channel is still up of course and there's a lot of great stuff on it.

These had Zelda 25th Anniversary versions in 2011 along with the Eshop:
pa.205057.1.jpg

pa.205058.1.jpg

An additional design with all the Links was available in Europe and Japan:
Prepaid-Cards.jpg

There were also some more exclusive designs in Japan a few of which Australia got:
Prepaid-cards-nintendo-ds-22630128-1910-587.jpg

Australia-eShop-Cards.jpg

eshopcard2.jpg

Thoughts on the new designs and what has been done in the past? I'm hoping in the future there will be more special art cards like the Zelda Anniversary ones or random character cards inside like the the AR Mario ones to collect.

Amybody else collect one of each type of the character cards? I just realized I never bought a $50 card as I don't buy retail games digitally at full price (though Fatal Frame will cause me to break that tbis year). Since I redeemed MyNintendo offers yesterday on Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars and Rhythm Heaven Megamix I need $37 to spend and I have something else to get on the Eshop today so I'm going to go get a old version of the $50 card today.

Bought a $50 card from Gamestop. If you want Mario solo apparently it would cost you. Stop and Shop actually still has those old style cards with 3DS and Wii U systems on them.

Those are some really cool designs, thanks for putting it all into one thread.

Your welcome. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. A lot of the Japanese stuff just came up when looking for images of NA cards. There's quite a bit of Japanese exclusive stuff.

Heh, I remember buying those 3DS cards like a week before the eShop even launched, just so I could buy Super Mario Land as soon as the eShop went live. Good times.

There was a Sin and Punishment 500 Wii Points card that came with the game as a preorder bonus or something; I think I lost mine even though I had strict intentions to keep it in the case.

Honestly not a fan of the plain 3D look that looks polished but designed by committee.

I loved the throwback 2D Mario player icons in Super Mario 3D world. Zelda promotional materials shines with the beautiful art Nintendo produces.

They should let Mario artists loose and come up with more relatable designs.

Regiruler

There was a Sin and Punishment 500 Wii Points card that came with the game as a preorder bonus or something; I think I lost mine even though I had strict intentions to keep it in the case.

I actually remember this, now that you mention it. I remember the card looking really good.

WillyFive

Cards like these are the future of retail game sales; half of the game sections in Walmart have been replaced with cards to buy games from PSN and Xbox Store.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ah I like the new designs! I'll probably grab that $20 one for Kamiko + Tumbleseed coming within the coming days.

I haven't seen those Wii and DS eShop cards in forever. In hindsight, they're really bland and boring compared to the newer ones.

I wish everything didn't have to have Mario brand on it. I get that its their flagship franchise and the iconography most strongly associated with the company, but man, the over-presence of Super Mario really burns me out on the character, its imagery, and its media.

Somewhere around the fourth Mario amiibo I stopped being able to handle it. I guess nobody would tell Disney to not put Mickey Mouse on everything, but at least you have tons and tons of other options if you find yourself over-exposed by Mickey. Not so much with Mario.

Would it kill them to make some displays or merch that draws from their veritable pantheon of cartoonery instead of relying so heavily on their Super Mario reputation?

I know this is a weird rant and even a weird post for this thread, so I apologize, this is just what came to my mind. The cards are nice, but I am exhausted by Super Mario.

The coolest ones, to me, are the Zelda ones. Lots of great art on those.

I actually remember this, now that you mention it. I remember the card looking really good.

imag0016.jpg

Very surprised that game would get such an exclusive made.

Reminds me how in Japan the Limited Edition Xeboblade Chronicles X Wii U bundle came with a special 1000 Yen Eshop card.

ids6N0c.jpg

I'm guessing the $45 card is for 3ds owners who just want one full priced game.

Yep, you cover game and tax. They are my go to.

Hmm. I guess that makes sense. That also explains the $70 cards since with sales tax several states would have total costs for $60 games over $65.

Whoa, had no idea they went up to $70 now. They should do a $100 one with Gold Mario on it for shits/giggles.

Considering Wario is at 70, the only logical answer would be Waluigi

The $5, $45 and $70 cards don't actually exist physically. It's just unique artwork for Amazon listings to buy the digital credit.

Wait, there was a Luigi AR card?

Yes. Originally only Mario, Peach and Goomba were released in the US in May 2014.

Then the remaining three cards were released in the US in Fall 2015 but each as retailer exclusives.

Bowser: Gamestop
Luigi: Target
Koopa Troopa: Best Buy

They're all still readily available at those stores.

Man I thought I saw a DK one at $99 a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/NinMobileNews/status/855231245923606528

I'm still not even sure it exists since this is the only thing I can find about the DK card. Looks like I need to make a mission to find out if this card does in fact exist.

Ah. I see you edited your comment with a link.

I honestly saw the same image a little while ago and searched a bit.

Amazon doesn't go up that high and as such most news stories/pictures about the cards don't include him. But Gamestop does indeed sell him: http://m.gamestop.com/product/console-currency/nintendo-eshop-digital-card-99/147725

Feel bad that all these comments about Wario being top (including mine) have already happen.

DK's the real King.

Edit:
Sorry double post.

Toad.T

Banned
Best thread to say this then. There exist bootleg eShop cards. I know because I had bought some on accident. If you look on the back the support email isn't a Nintendo address, but something called BlackHawkNet. I've only seen them in Canadian Supermarkets like Sobeys and RealCanadianSuperstore. Are they anywhere else?

Blues1990

I honestly never seen the Twilight Princess/Smash 4 Link card at retail, but I have seen the $5 and $45 cards from time-to-time.

Thank you for sharing.

This was incredibly cool and also a nice nostalgia trip. Had no idea about the AR card ones. Thanks a ton for sharing these. Really awesome stuff <3

Ah. I see you edited your comment with a link.

I honestly saw the same image a little while ago and searched a bit.

Amazon doesn't go up that high and as such most news stories/pictures about the cards don't include him. But Gamestop does indeed sell him: http://m.gamestop.com/product/console-currency/nintendo-eshop-digital-card-99/147725

Feel bad that all these comments about Wario being top (including mine) have already happen.

DK's the real King.

Edit:
Sorry double post.

Of course Gamestop would have him and of course I forgot to check there. lol

Ninja Dom

I wish everything didn't have to have Mario brand on it. I get that its their flagship franchise and the iconography most strongly associated with the company, but man, the over-presence of Super Mario really burns me out on the character, its imagery, and its media.

Somewhere around the fourth Mario amiibo I stopped being able to handle it. I guess nobody would tell Disney to not put Mickey Mouse on everything, but at least you have tons and tons of other options if you find yourself over-exposed by Mickey. Not so much with Mario.

Would it kill them to make some displays or merch that draws from their veritable pantheon of cartoonery instead of relying so heavily on their Super Mario reputation?

I know this is a weird rant and even a weird post for this thread, so I apologize, this is just what came to my mind. The cards are nice, but I am exhausted by Super Mario.

The coolest ones, to me, are the Zelda ones. Lots of great art on those.

Guess you won't be joining us here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1310199

All the major retail outlets, such as EB Games, Best Buy, that sort of thing. Then again, I'm in Canada, so it might vary from region to region?

Yeah probably. Would love if they sold $5 cards in stores. Sometimes you just need a little more and don't need $10.

Of course Gamestop would have him and of course I forgot to check there. lol

I actually buy quite a few cards physically from there including the $50 card I bought yesterday. Never bought an Eshop card from there though. One time PSN when the Webstore wouldn't let me add money for some weird reason.

Top Bottom