• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEW EXCUSE] Porting Lawbreakers to switch is tough because of lack of buttons

KingV

at least he admitted it.

but btw guys, PS4 does have more buttons.

It has exactly the same actually. But both systems have buttons that are dedicated to OS level functions (share and home/PS button)

Both have the same number of core face and shoulder buttons. Switch has + and - on the face, and PS4 has options and the touchpad. Both have a share. Button and then both have a "home" button that takes you to the OS.

ds8k

I've come to really enjoy motion aiming for third-person shooters. It made playing Zelda much pleasant.

I recently played through Gears of War 2 and 3 and found myself trying to move my controller to fine-tune my shots. Sounds like ol' Cliffy B has a fundamental misunderstanding of motion aiming.

Lifeline

The only thing he could've been talking about was the touchpad, but so few games even use that. More likely, he's never actually used a switch.

Gestault

...that wouldn't make any sense. What controller people find comfortable or not boils down to personal preferences so I doubt any intelligent developer would have problems making games for the systems because of the joycons. By that logic, developers should have had reservations making games for the PS3, considering how much the DS3 sucked compared to nearly every other standard modern controller, imo

I'm not saying this is the specific case here, and I never did, but a good developer can and would recognize situations when the primary controller for a platform would compromise game design. That absolutely makes sense. Often, a better dev can find a workaround, but there are still limits.

And to clarify, I'm not talking about nuanced differences between controllers like a DS3 vs the 360 pad.

Gsnap

Yeah yeah buttons, blah blah blah.

I'm more interested in knowing what in the world he meant when talking about motion controls. Can't really wrap my head around that one.

I'm not saying this is the specific case here, and I never did, but a good developer can and would recognize situations when the primary controller for a platform would compromise game design. That absolutely makes sense. Often, a better dev can find a workaround, but there are still limits.

And to clarify, I'm not talking about nuanced differences between controllers like a DS3 vs the 360 pad.
But this more or less would be a nuanced difference between controllers. Nothing about the Joycons would compromise the design of the game when it has all of the same inputs. It's basically a standard controller that can be split up for local multiplayer. It's not like the Wiimote which was straight up missing up buttons and an analog stick

Mooreberg

THQ Nordic said pretty much exactly that about their game and were met with a bunch of '#lazydevs' responses. Doesn't matter what developers say, if you say you're not porting your game to the Switch either your game didn't matter anyway so nobody cares, or you're lazy and incompetent.
Yeah at this point "nothing to announce" should be the response. Anything else is outrage fodder.

Head.spawn

If you don't know Switch won't be getting most third party games by now you never will.

That really has nothing at all to do with simply asking the question. Nobody is forcing them to come up with bs reasonings; a simple, "we're evaluating the platform but nothing at this time" or a "no" would suffice.

Gitaroo

I don't think any dev making games with high end graphics need any excuses for no switch ports. Most switch owners already know what to expect for the system, and that is nintendo games.

or you could also stop asking if everything is coming to the Switch, so they won't have to answer this question in the first place

If you don't know Switch won't be getting most third party games by now you never will.

I don't think any dev making games with high end graphics need any excuses for no switch ports. Most switch owners already know what to expect for the system, and that is nintendo games.

Friendly reminder that the context of the discussion was about them wanting it to run on any console regardless of the hardware power:

For a company that is pushing a visual boundaries, what is your take on Xbox One X?

Xbox One X is awesome. When you give us hardware we’re going to maximize it, that’s what we do. We build on PC, and there we take advantage of the latest and the greatest video cards. But we also have to support the older video cards as well. If we wind up supporting the Xbox we have to make sure it runs on the Xbox One X and the Xbox One. It’s about making sure that everybody who gets to play the game doesn’t have a poor experience regardless of their set up. Because if you give a poor experience in a competitive environment, you really can’t blame yourself anymore for the mistakes that happen, or the person’s skills. Sometimes you got to blame the hardware. And that’s not fun. So we don’t want the hardware to ever become a discussion point, especially for a console.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/lawbreakers-interview-its-been-a-crazy-evolution#6k0GOVbMkUeWpOS8.99

oti

Banned
A mod should update the title or even close the thread. It was a stupid excuse, they've admitted it was stupid. Let's move on.

Nilaul

A mod should update the title or even close the thread. It was a stupid excuse, they've admitted it was stupid. Let's move on.

The thread is updated, there's no need to close the thread. No one took this seriously. It was all for laughs.

Top Bottom