• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New, extremely detailed, extremely positive Deus Ex: Human Revolution preview

Lime

StuBurns said:
Call my cynical but I don't think this being a hit would send a message to publishers people want more cyberpunk, it'd send bring back more old franchises.

Let's hope for achieving both scenarios :)

Dennis

Banned
StuBurns said:
Call my cynical but I don't think this being a hit would send a message to publishers people want more cyberpunk, it'd send bring back more old franchises.
Of course it would. Publishers are the ultimate sheeps. If an an RPG/shooter Cyperpunk game is Assassins Creed-style it would send a powerful message.

Now, honestly I would be (pleasantly) surprised if the game is a runaway hit gut if it is we may see more games like it.

STALKER is a very succesful RPG/shooter hybrid and DX3 may turn out the same. Publishers are always looking for the next thing. I don't expect the huge publishers like Activision or EA to dump the COD/Battlefield/MoH type game in favor of this but still....

This game is really exciting me in places that I didn't think get excited over games. I've never played the first two DXs, but I got them in the Steam Christmas sale. Unfortunately my laptop borked and this computer has weird-ass problems with Steam, so I won't be able to play them until I purchase a new computer (come on tax returns, big money big money).

Still, this looks absolutely fabulous.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Amir0x said:
it really is an astonishing accomplishment. There are so many ways to play through the game, and it doesn't have that 'empty, uninteresting' mission scenario that a lot of modern open ended western games can have as a result of their nonlinear structure.

The best western games understand that the way to make nonlinear gameplay interesting is to have profound gameplay and narrative consequences for all your actions, which is completely the case in Deus Ex. It's also supremely fun to play as a general rule, and has aged fairly well in all.
I played until the start of the second mission last night. It's amazing at how much fun I managed to have playing it compared to others in the last decade. There's so much variety and thinking to the game that it is ridiculous. I have strayed away from the campaigns in FPSs in the last few years because I feel, for the most part, they have been the same thing over and over. No variety, just run in and shoot. Even hybrids like Fallout 3 feel lifeless and mindnumbing.

Meanwhile, playing Deus Ex, there was a moment where I was down to one bullet and had to take out 4 more guards. I ended up spotting a tnt box and threw it at 2 guards, the explosion causing the other two to come by, I had them chase me down, past another tnt box, I had set up before hand, that I then shot as they passed by. It's such a simple scenario, requiring no complex scripting on the developers part...yet it provided more fun and variety than anything I have played recently.

And I loved how my boss told me I should stop going in to the women's rest room

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I love all the little details in Deus Ex, like the emails and the funny conversations you can stumble across (like Hermann and the soda machine or getting scolded for going in the ladies room). Just small touches, but it's always fun to come across stuff like that. Hopefully they don't go super serious with HR.

Zeliard

ThoseDeafMutes said:
PST is an anomaly, but most modern games we say have "bad dialogue" typically still had professional writers, and it is exceedingly rare for it to be legitimately terrible when you contrast it to the unprofessional rubbish we got in the early 3d era.

Modern video game writing is in the doldrums. Are we really going to pretend there's been improvement in that area in the last 10 years?

And PST is an anomaly? What about all the great adventure games that preceded it which had fine stories, great dialogue and memorable characterizations? They're certainly at a level above what we generally see today. Excusing bad writing because it was written by "professional writers" doesn't make a lick of sense, either. That only makes it worse, if anything, especially when you take into account the added resources.

feel

Still no confirmation of any kind of regular first person melee? What happens when you run out of juice, do you just stare at the enemies awkwardly at point blank before turning away and trying to run away or fumbling to equip a gun? Walking up to an enemy from behind and then activating those cutscenes is the only thing I don't really like from what I'm seeing.

Draft said:
Maybe RPG purists should take a step back from their character sheets and realize that bullets not going where you are aiming in a first person game is frustrating and dumb.

Deus Ex is not gospel. Not every aspect of its decade old design needs to be replicated in this game.

The problem is (and I'm not saying I have a solution) that this removes gunplay from the consequential choices in how you develop your character. If how well I shoot is tied to what I invest in the skill, then that choice is highly relevant to how I deal with any given situation. If I'm always able to shoot my way out of any situation, then the rest of the choices might seem more like window-dressing.

f0rk

whalleywhat said:
The problem is (and I'm not saying I have a solution) that this removes gunplay from the consequential choices in how you develop your character. If how well I shoot is tied to what I invest in the skill, then that choice is highly relevant to how I deal with any given situation. If I'm always able to shoot my way out of any situation, then the rest of the choices might seem more like window-dressing.

You are right.
Shaky aim by with guns you aren't trained with could be a good way around it, making them very hard to use. I remember Brother in Arms had this to encourage use of the suppression mechanic, you couldn't take the heads of guys in cover easily like you can in CoD so you had to flank with Thompsons.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So the release date is apparently August 26. Part of me is happy that they have so much time to polish the game, the other part is crying.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh my god.

I just realised that over all this years, since the very first game, I have pronounced it as "dyews ex", and not "dayus ex".

Zoc

EatChildren said:
Oh my god.

I just realised that over all this years, since the very first game, I have pronounced it as "dyews ex", and not "dayus ex".

That's OK, just don't spell it "Dues Ex."

Draft

whalleywhat said:
That's all encounter design. Later levels should have combat scenarios only survivable by characters that have heavily invested in combat skills. Stealth characters need to sneak past or get plastered.

Draft said:
That's all encounter design. Later levels should have combat scenarios only survivable by characters that have heavily invested in combat skills. Stealth characters need to sneak past or get plastered.

I like this. I'm a speaker/shooter play type. when words fail, I'll let my SMG do the talking.

this game seems to be well balaced between social, combat, and stealth play styles. all they need to do is make the combat better than the first (which they already did) and it's already above DE1

MNC

For the very first time playing through Deus Ex 1 and I'm slowly starting to grow fond of it and get acquanted with everything; I HAD NO IDEA RIOT PROD KNOCKS PEOPLE OUT FROM THE BACK. That alone makes the game alot easier... All they did with me was just regular shocking :|

Anyway, DE3 looks very clean from that short gameplay segment, I cannot fucking wait to play it.

Snuggler said:
I love all the little details in Deus Ex, like the emails and the funny conversations you can stumble across (like Hermann and the soda machine or getting scolded for going in the ladies room). Just small touches, but it's always fun to come across stuff like that. Hopefully they don't go super serious with HR.

All that stuff is in there, saw several previews mentioning it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Am I the only one concerned about the lack of details regarding HE's music? Cyberpunk is nothing without a good techie-chill soundtrack, and Deus Ex set the bar quite high in that regard. I've heard that Michael McCann is apparently pretty skilled, but I'm not familiar with his work...

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Funky Papa said:
Am I the only one concerned about the lack of details regarding HE's music? Cyberpunk is nothing without a good techie-chill soundtrack, and Deus Ex set the bar quite high in that regard. I've heard that Michael McCann is apparently pretty skilled, but I'm not familiar with his work...
This is the only track from HR I've seen floating around, but it seems pretty good to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5e213eU40Y&feature=related

Hoping for a version of the Deus Ex main theme, though.

Funky Papa said:

Listen to the Splinter Cell Double Agent OST.

Alucrid

Banned
hero.jpg

hero2.jpg

hero3.jpg

Just got the email.

Gribbix

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I need something. A new CGI trailer. A new preview, anything.
There's a 20 minute live demo at PAXEast tomorrow. I'm sure some shaky-cam footage will pop up on youtube.

Top Bottom