• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New, extremely detailed, extremely positive Deus Ex: Human Revolution preview

ZombieFred said:
Now you know what would be awesome? Eidos Montreal releasing an SDK for us to play and make our own stuff for this game.

I wouldn't mind pumping out my creativity and desire to create a map based around the idea of a big corporation Yacht and its staff and VIPs celebrating, with its dense layers of floors and security, on a search and rescue mission. That possibility of being open ended to the player’s game preference and open ended exploration to go further in the details of the mission, would be fantastic. A man can dream :(
Oh man if only this game had swimming in it as well. Then you could have it start on some pier so if a player dumped enough points into swimming they could have just swam to the yacht instead of trying to figure out how to get a boat to take them there or something.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
Oh man if only this game had swimming in it as well. Then you could have it start on some pier so if a player dumped enough points into swimming they could have just swam to the yacht instead of trying to figure out how to get a boat to take them there or something.

And add in some social stealth and gathering intel so you can get a better picture of what is going on in the Yacht, tracking the designated targets of importance that would lead you to your objective. Montreal, please do this.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I don't care much about the graphics, to be honest. Deus Ex 1 was relatively ugly even on release, so I can live with a yellow filter.

Amir0x

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
I don't care much about the graphics, to be honest. Deus Ex 1 was relatively ugly even on release, so I can live with a yellow filter.

and really with the PC version someone will release a mod in like a week to fix the filter anyway :D

feel

I like the gold filter here, coupled with the cool art design it gives the game a classy, unique stylish look imo. And the whole game won't use that same filter, I'm almost sure I've seen blueish official screenshots, I think they will be using these filters to set the different moods in the various locations.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just looked for some OG Deus Ex screenshots. Man, the art was terrible. Terrible. Human Evolution outright murders it, even with the piss filter on.

Still sounds fabulous. Release the dame game! Level design sounds perfect and I love that your playstyle will affect the content of the game, proper RPG stuff. Also the piss filter looks great. PC master race will allow for whatever oil based filter people want so I wouldn't worry too much.

Draft said:
Maybe RPG purists should take a step back from their character sheets and realize that bullets not going where you are aiming in a first person game is frustrating and dumb.

Deus Ex is not gospel. Not every aspect of its decade old design needs to be replicated in this game.

Since when is the original considered RPG anyway?

You shoot stuff to win (or you choose not to). That's not an RPG. It's a shooter with choice, instead of forcefeeding what you need to do (SHOOT IT! :') ).

Inclusion of inventory makes it sound like a near-remake instead of a full retake on the concept. I will happily buy this blind and hope not to be disappointed by doing so.
(see also my username)

DaBuddaDa

Zeitgeister said:
Virtually every quality you can think of that makes a game an RPG Deus Ex has. Stats? Check. Upgradable abilities? Check. Dice rolls? Check. NPCs, epic story, lots of dialogue? Check. Inventory? Check.

DennisK4 said:
I refuse to believe people like the piss filters. Its all about trolling me, I get it.

8zdXT.gif

I'm not that fan of the piss filter, but I'd rather get that, than the bluish one....it makes the game looks like a braindead artwise moron that is trying to look like Blade Runner, and fails terribly.

Zenith

Banned
There was supposed to be a new gameplay preview at PAX today. Any attendees?

2027 - The Near-Future: Live Demo of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dev Team Q&A

Main Theatre
Saturday, 2:30pm - 3:30pm

Want to see what world will look like in 2027? The truth will change you. Join core development team members of the highly anticipated action RPG, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for a live demo of never before seen gameplay! Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the return to one of the most critically-acclaimed video game franchises of all time. The game tells the story of Adam Jensen, a man cybernetically augmented against his will, who finds himself in the middle of a global conspiracy to which he holds the key. By offering players the chance to advance through the game in multiple and vastly different ways, Deus Ex: Human Revolution challenges the foundations of gaming and provides an immersive experience where every choice has a lasting consequence. A Q&A session will follow the presentation.

Lostconfused said:
Right but in Deus Ex it was more like the modern day was falling apart with some futuristic stuff bolted on top of it. Not like Blade Runner where it was the future that was messed up and breaking down.

Edit: Maybe just to me it seems like Deus Ex was closer to some kind of a dystopian future vision rather than what I imagine cyberpunk to be. Most of the stuff that Gibson wrote about is more futuristic than Deus Ex was and closer to what Human Revolution is trying to be.

Lets not go overboard, dude. Deus Ex didn't look like much of anything because any art style it had was fucking drowned underneath shitty low res textures and low poly models. In some places a bit of the cyberpunk art style shone through (parts of hong kong maybe iirc) but even then it looked drab and uninspired. I'm willing to put this down to limitations of the tech they were using (even DX2 looked visually more interesting and stylistically distinct despite being generally mediocre).

New York just looked like average slums, nothing futuristic at all. X51 / Area 51 / MJ12 research facility all just looked like standard labs. UNATCO HQ looked like an office building. 90% of the game didn't even look like it was "falling apart" it just looked like shitty neighborhoods that we already have today.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Bandwagoners! I believed since day 1. But seriously, it's great how it's shaping up and slowly but surely drawing hype. This and Dark Souls are my two most anticipated games of the year.

DaBuddaDa said:
Virtually every quality you can think of that makes a game an RPG Deus Ex has. Stats? Check. Upgradable abilities? Check. Dice rolls? Check. NPCs, epic story, lots of dialogue? Check. Inventory? Check.

So does every game on the planet, except for the inventory part. That does not make it an RPG, if that is to be thought of as a usefull genre category. If it fits everything, it's not a good category.

Zeitgeister said:
So does every game on the planet, except for the inventory part. That does not make it an RPG, if that is to be thought of as a usefull genre category. If it fits everything, it's not a good category.

RPG has been a shitty genre classification since the beginning of forever.

Zeitgeister said:

Not sure what you're talking about, most games don't have character progression outside of picking up different guns, most games don't have interactive dialogue, most games don't feature quests and multiple resolutions to situations. Computer RPGs are a classification derived from their origins in pen 'n' paper RPGs, such as stat-driven character progression, quests and abstractions such as "experience points".

Deus Ex is an Action RPG because its combat is real time and somewhat based on player skill (rather than character skill), but it is otherwise a fairly traditional cRPG. This reminds me of the semantic shitstorms that brew up when people say that Mass Effect 2 "is not an RPG" because they removed inventory or some shit.

Cronox

Banned
It sounds like the game is coming together, but the one thing I hope is for the game to have story and dialogue on the level of Deus Ex. When I played the original a few years back I was amazed - was I really having a conversation with an AI about the nature of god? And the whole thing with the illuminati. I'd never seen any game aspire to this kind of philosophizing before or since.

I hope the writers go beyond the typical simplicity of video game setups to deliver conversations and organizations with more complex themes and motives.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Not sure what you're talking about, most games don't have character progression outside of picking up different guns, most games don't have interactive dialogue, most games don't feature quests and multiple resolutions to situations. Computer RPGs are a classification derived from their origins in pen 'n' paper RPGs, such as stat-driven character progression, quests and abstractions such as "experience points"

I hope you realize how silly the bolded makes the rest of your point sound.

Cronox said:
Quality is a subjective area, but I would argue that the original Deus Ex's ambitions in dialogue/themes were and still are far above the norm.

Sure, it's good for its time, but even if DX3 is "below average" in relative terms to when it is released, it would still be far better than DX1 in absolute terms.

Draft

Zeitgeister said:

You shoot stuff to win (or you choose not to). That's not an RPG. It's a shooter with choice, instead of forcefeeding what you need to do (SHOOT IT! :') ).

Inclusion of inventory makes it sound like a near-remake instead of a full retake on the concept. I will happily buy this blind and hope not to be disappointed by doing so.
(see also my username)
It's the thinking man's first person shooter.

Riposte

Deus Ex acts more like a RPG - an actual, real goddamn RPG which you play with people on a table with some dice - than pretty much every other videogame(I am sure there are a few rivals). People get too caught up in combat/inventory systems to understand RPGs(hell, how many people have actually played them?). I actually think of Deus Ex as a FPS more than a RPG, but that's because nothing in videogame form really qualifies.

Riposte said:
Deus Ex acts more like a RPG - an actual, real goddamn RPG which you play with people on a table with some dice - than pretty much every other videogame(I am sure there are a few rivals). People get too caught up in combat/inventory systems to understand RPGs(hell, how many people have actually played them?). I actually think of Deus Ex as a FPS more than a RPG, but that's because nothing in videogame form really qualifies.

So wait, do you think it's more of an RPG or an FPS?

psykomyko

I am starting to get really hyped for this, but I want to keep it in check, don't want to get disappointed. I will stay in blackout mode!

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Who cares if Deus Ex falls into an arbitrary genre classification? Seriously, what does it matter? Deus Ex is Deus Ex. Screw trying to fit it into one moronic definition of RPG or another.

Riposte, I'm picking on you because you're the last post I saw on the topic. Why do you care at all about the meaningless semantics you're posting? What possible bearing does the debate have on the quality of the game, or whether you'll play it? If the developers suddenly declared the game was an FPS and not an RPG at all, but nothing actually changed, would you care?

Riposte

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So wait, do you think it's more of an RPG or an FPS?

The last sentence should clarify what I mean. (You only looked at the first part of the first sentence.)

Fjordson

Really looking forward to this. I'll admit I'm a bit of a bandwagoner in that it's been totally under my radar thus far, but all this positive buzz lately has me hyped.

They're revealing the release date next week, right?

Riposte

Chairman Yang said:
Who cares if Deus Ex falls into an arbitrary genre classification? Seriously, what does it matter? Deus Ex is Deus Ex. Screw trying to fit it into one moronic definition of RPG or another.

Riposte, I'm picking on you because you're the last post I saw on the topic. Why do you care at all about the meaningless semantics you're posting? What possible bearing does the debate have on the quality of the game, or whether you'll play it? If the developers suddenly declared the game was an FPS and not an RPG at all, but nothing actually changed, would you care?

Because clarity is extremely useful, and more importantly is naturally desired by serious thinkers. Thus arguments about meaning are inevitable, even in videogames, and disdain for them only help obscure issues. Semantics have come to be considered an evil thing for only very poor reasons(mainly people will declare something "lolsemantics" as an out). Also there is nothing arbitrary about my genre classifications, which I haven't even specified at this point and I am not interested in dwelling on here. Most arguments about genres are in reaction to actual arbitrary classifications(which sums up the current use of "RPG" very well).

"Meaningless semantics" lol. Now that's some real lolsemantics.

EDIT: Here is another answer: The problem with calling something a genre or subgenre it is not is that it basically corrodes the genre. You see genres are nothing more than collection of similar things. Videogame genres are groups of games which play similar to each other. Grouping Fallout 3 with Fallout 2 removes meaning from Fallout 2's genre. (May it be WRPG, Turn based strategy, etc - specific names don't matter as much as the individual contents of the genre.)

EDIT: And another follow-up: You may think having no genres is the obvious solution then, but genres are the basis of criticism(sometimes even when you don't realize it). You could try to compare your "level of fun" or something in reaction to game on an universal scale, but your end result would be inaccurate, illogical, and arbitrary. You'd be trying to throw random feelings out without understanding them. However when comparing games of the same genre you are able to better measure their improvements and flaws. In written form your opinion would actually have substance and would be sensible through logic. I would also say the further apart two genres are, the less comparable their games are. It is basically impossible to draw any solid comparisons between Civilization 5 and Devil May Cry 3(and you'd have to be an enthusiast in both to even write anything worthwhile!). That kind of cross-genre comparison would only be conclusive if one game was incredibly bad and the other extremely good. (Meaning: GotYs are wastes of time.)

UrbanRats

DennisK4 said:
I need Deux Ex back in my life....and I want other developers to start making cyberpunk games.
A million times This.
Actually, i thought about making a thread about it, a few months ago.

Great preview, btw.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Sure, it's good for its time, but even if DX3 is "below average" in relative terms to when it is released, it would still be far better than DX1 in absolute terms.
It's interesting how you say "for its time", as if the standards of writing today have far surpassed the age of Planescape Torment and Legacy of Kain.

Nasreddin

Draft said:
Maybe RPG purists should take a step back from their character sheets and realize that bullets not going where you are aiming in a first person game is frustrating and dumb.

Deus Ex is not gospel. Not every aspect of its decade old design needs to be replicated in this game.

Listen to this man! He's speaking the truth.

@Preview: I am really hyped.

Cheesyhobo said:
It's interesting how you say "for its time", as if the standards of writing today have far surpassed the age of Planescape Torment and Legacy of Kain.

PST is an anomaly, but most modern games we say have "bad dialogue" typically still had professional writers, and it is exceedingly rare for it to be legitimately terrible when you contrast it to the unprofessional rubbish we got in the early 3d era. Deus Ex dialogue seems ok when you compare it to Resident Evil, but it's decidedly run of the mill for today.

More importantly though, DX was fucking horribly acted. I can't think of any good performances in the whole game, the closest we get is J.C. and a couple of the main bad guys, who are merely OK.

THANKS FAH GETTIN' ME IN.

Lime

Coming from playing Deus Ex 1, I consider it to be a conceptually and mechanically amazing game. In terms of level and game design it is truly one of the best.

However, I always considered it to be a visually detestable game (textures and art style), a very shitty story (even for its time), and terrible characters and writing. It didn't even manage to put much of its thematic genre (cyberpunk) to good use. Like Lost Prophet said, it seemed like a modern-era game with some occasional futuristic stuff put in.

Deus Ex 3 is probably my most anticipated game this year. I hope to dear god it will become successful as fuck, because we need more cyberpunk games.

UrbanRats said:
A million times This.
Actually, i thought about making a thread about it, a few months ago.

Great preview, btw.

I agree. There has been some:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392733

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354509

StuBurns

Banned
Lime said:
Deus Ex 3 is probably my most anticipated game this year. I hope to dear god it will become successful as fuck, because we need more cyberpunk games.
Call my cynical but I don't think this being a hit would send a message to publishers people want more cyberpunk, it'd send bring back more old franchises.

Expect rumors of System Shock 3 if this hits two million units at full price.

Top Bottom