• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The time is now for a cyberpunk GTA style game

br.jpg

Hey devs, I've been waiting since 2001 for this and you guys have failed me at every turn. Well I've got tired of sitting around on my haunches, so this thread is to tell you here's the game you should be making, and don't worry about paying me. Playing the game once you're done will be reward enough. Before I give you my pitch, here's some source material to get you up to speed:

Books
Burning Chrome- a collection of short stories by William Gibson. Awesome.
Neuromancer novel also by William Gibson. Also awesome.

Film
Blade Runner- No explanation needed I don't think.

Wikipedia's entry on cyberpunk:
Cyberpunk is a science fiction genre noted for its focus on "high tech and low life". The name is a portmanteau of cybernetics and punk and was originally coined by Bruce Bethke as the title of his short story "Cyberpunk", published in 1983. It features advanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order. Cyberpunk works are well situated within postmodern literature.

Cyberpunk plots often center on a conflict among hackers, artificial intelligences, and megacorporations, and tend to be set in a near-future Earth, rather than the far-future settings or galactic vistas found in novels such as Isaac Asimov's Foundation or Frank Herbert's Dune. The settings are usually post-industrial dystopias but tend to be marked by extraordinary cultural ferment and the use of technology in ways never anticipated by its creators ("the street finds its own uses for things"). Much of the genre's atmosphere echoes film noir, and written works in the genre often use techniques from detective fiction.

"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body." - Lawrence Person
OK so there have been cyberpunk games in the past, but not along these lines (Uplink comes to mind as probably the best). Here's the pitch:

I'm proposing a GTA style cyberpunk game in which you run around a city in the near future, but instead of killing prostitutes and doing drug deals (which you could still do on the side, prostitutes and drugs clearly aren't going anywhere) it'd be more about hacking into computers to steal data and money, upgrading your body with grafted muscle and software implants, couriering data Johnny Mnemonic style (short story of which is in Burning Chrome, forget the Keanu Reeves disaster), buying and selling 'hot' equipment, hustling at virtual/augmented reality games, etc. At it's heart could be a heist story like in Neuromancer or feel free to make up your own thing, that's less important than the world and the setting.

This could potentially be the greatest game of all time if you make it right. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A game set in the Sprawl would make me cream my jeans, and then immediately cream the next pair I put on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There aren't enough cyberpunk games, period. Cyberpunk open world would be pretty awesome.

cRIPticon

Neuromancer said:
br.jpg

Hey devs, I've been waiting since 2001 for this and you guys have failed me at every turn. Well I've got tired of sitting around on my haunches, so this thread is to tell you here's the game you should be making, and don't worry about paying me. Playing the game once you're done will be reward enough. Before I give you my pitch, here's some source material to get you up to speed:

Books
Burning Chrome- a collection of short stories by William Gibson. Awesome.
Neuromancer novel also by William Gibson. Also awesome.

Film
Blade Runner- No explanation needed I don't think.

Wikipedia's entry on cyberpunk:

OK so there have been cyberpunk games in the past, but not along these lines (Uplink comes to mind as probably the best). Here's the pitch:

I'm proposing a GTA style cyberpunk game in which you run around a city in the near future, but instead of killing prostitutes and doing drug deals (which you could still do on the side, prostitutes and drugs clearly aren't going anywhere) it'd be more about hacking into computers to steal data and money, upgrading your body with grafted muscle and software implants, couriering data Johnny Mnemonic style (short story of which is in Burning Chrome, forget the Keanu Reeves disaster), buying and selling 'hot' equipment, hustling at virtual/augmented reality games, etc. At it's heart could be a heist story like in Neuromancer or feel free to make up your own thing, that's less important than the world and the setting.

This could potentially be the greatest game of all time if you make it right. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I agree with all of this, except that Johnny Mnemonic was awesome in a train wreck awful kind of way :)

Haly

UrbanRats said:
Also to remember: cyberpunk =/= Sci fi.
Wait explain.

Surely it revolves around a specific portrayal of science?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Lamonster said:
So what's the picture from?

Obviously Blade Runner. I'm guessing it's a bullshot of the Blade Runner adventure game Westwood put out in the 90's?

ezekial45

Banned
The things i'd do for an open-world Ghost in the Shell game.

I think the cyber-punk (and steam-punk for that matter) can fit very well (if done right) for an open-world game.

The Lamonster said:
So what's the picture from?
Crytek had a contest a while back where they asked people to recreate scenery from movies using the CryEngine. This was a Blade Runner image someone made, the rest are here:

Link

DiscoJer

Not to be a smartass, but as a genre, isn't cyberpunk pretty much dead?

Indeed, walk into a bookstore these days, most of the sci-fi/fantasy section is either urban fantasy (often with a touch of romance) or military SF.

Then again, as a literary genre, post apocalyptic SF has been dead a long time, and Fall Out still worked well as a game, and popular too.

Riptwo

Sir, I like your style. Maybe I'm in the minority, but this is what I'm hoping for in the possible Syndicate reboot.

Why is everyone on GAF obsessed with Steampunk? I just don't get it.

Edit: mistook steampunk for cyberpunk. Too many arbitrary genre distinctions...

cRIPticon said:
I agree with all of this, except that Johnny Mnemonic was awesome in a train wreck awful kind of way :)
Yeah... I remember seeing the first hotel scene and thinking, oh man this is going to be bad... :lol

Still had some lasting imagery though:

johnny_mnemonic-large09-743973.jpg

ezekial45 said:
The things i'd do for an open-world Ghost in the Shell game.

I think the cyber-punk (and steam-punk for that matter) can fit very well (if done right) for an open-world game.

GitS is post-cyberpunk.

Dresden

Affeinvasion said:
wut

Anyways, the universe of Altered Carbon is perfect for this. You even have a built-in explanation for player death and respawn/rebirth!

Haly

Affeinvasion said:
Blimps through the motherfucking sky and vents and gears for no goddam reason.

Also bitching goggles.

Mostly there's a huge visual appeal to steampunk and since it doesn't get enough representation in the aming market there's more or less a cult following clamoring for the genre.

cRIPticon

DiscoJer said:
Not to be a smartass, but as a genre, isn't cyberpunk pretty much dead?

Indeed, walk into a bookstore these days, most of the sci-fi/fantasy section is either urban fantasy (often with a touch of romance) or military SF.

Then again, as a literary genre, post apocalyptic SF has been dead a long time, and Fall Out still worked well as a game, and popular too.

Get that crap out of here!! :D

ezekial45

Banned
Brettison said:
Have any of you guys ever tried out Neotokyo? It's a source engine mod that is based off of things like Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

I thought it was ok. The music was AMAZING, though. The Paperhouse theme is my favorite track.

I haven't played it in awhile though. Has it changed since it's release?

Huggy

A new Syndicate is being developed right now isn't it? You can check out the Playstation release on PSN.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Neuromancer said:
Hey devs, I've been waiting since 2001 for this
Me too! I'm all for this. So much potential.

theRizzle

I would love to see this game. But I played that Westwood Blade Runner game close to 10 times. The VK test sections in it were awesome.

Could anyone suggest some Cyberpunk books other than the ones in the OP? I did a Google search but couldn't really find anything that grabbed me.

I really, really, REALLY like the Shadowrun universe, if that helps any.

I cheer on the OP!

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Forget about Gibson, Stephenson's Snow Crash is destined to be turned into a video game.

And when someone takes a screenshot from it, makes said screenshot into an avatar, and uses said avatar on the internet, the world will shake.

Zero will have been divided.

DieH@rd

Banned
Heavy Rain type game, set in the Cyberpunk setting. Chasing rogue AI-s, fighting crazy heavily modified humans full of crazy drugz, and non stop darknes & rain.

WIN.

Zenith said:
You mean Syndicate?
If someone made an open world Syndicate game, that would be pretty amazing. I understand there are some rumors around Starbreeze making one (well a Syndicate game, not sure what type of game it would be but it would make sense for them to make an FPS.)

Neuromancer said:
(...)Here's the pitch:

Awesome idea. :D I would add multiple characters/paths as well, e.g. you could also play a lowlife private eye trying to catch a break, scamming clients and whatnot, and you run into a huge conspiracy which makes you pick a side: try to turn things to your side and make a quick buck, or unmask the corporation (or stop the conspiracy but still reap the rewards, a gray area).

Who would you guys trust with a game like this? Ken Levine/Warren Specter? Bioware?
DieH@rd said:
Heavy Rain type game, set in the Cyberpunk setting. Chasing rogue AI-s, fighting crazy heavily modified humans full of crazy drugz, and non stop darknes & rain.

WIN.
Yes please.

Top Bottom