• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The time is now for a cyberpunk GTA style game

CENOBITE

6a00c2252b348e549d01101807546d860f-500pi

SnowCrash__Raven_by_ariokh.jpg

Dimitri_Raven_by_AOPaul.jpg

Make it so... The time is right.

Lard

Banned
I was rolling my eyes, but yeah, a game taking inspiration from Snow Crash/Neuromancer/early Bruce Sterling could potentially really awesome.

So like a Ghost in the Shell game where you play as a random bad guy with a shitty half-augmented body trafficking hypnotized children and space heroin under the noses of invisible super cops with walking invisible tanks?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This will always be my dream for System Shock 3.

SHODAN lives, and has finally found her way to the planet Earth. You are THE hacker from the superior System Shock, the cyberpunkish original. You're the first to catch a "blip", the one which signaled her arrival.

The hacker was the best in the business. Add in a strange subplot, where SHODAN is obsessed with you, the one who freed her from the shackles.

I dunno, there's some potential in there somewhere. Just imagine SHODAN's face, plastered all over a cyberpunk, war-torn Times Square.

Take SS back to it's roots. Pure tech sex.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
K.Jack said:

SHODAN lives, and has finally found her way to the planet Earth. You are THE hacker from the superior System Shock, the cyberpunkish original. You're the first to catch a "blip", the one which signaled her arrival.

The hacker was the best in the business. Add in a strange subplot, where SHODAN is obsessed with you, the one who freed her from the shackles.

I dunno, there's some potential in there somewhere. Just imagine SHODAN's face, plastered all over a cyberpunk, war-torn Times Square.

SS2's psych/body horror bend was superior.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
God's Beard said:
So like a Ghost in the Shell game where you play as a random bad guy with a shitty half-augmented body trafficking hypnotized children and space heroin under the noses of invisible super cops with walking invisible tanks?

Best game ever, right?

FunkyPajamas said:
Awesome idea. :D I would add multiple characters/paths as well, e.g. you could also play a lowlife private eye trying to catch a break, scamming clients and whatnot, and you run into a huge conspiracy which makes you pick a side: try to turn things to your side and make a quick buck, or unmask the corporation (or stop the conspiracy but still reap the rewards, a gray area).

Who would you guys trust with a game like this? Ken Levine/Warren Specter? Bioware?

Yes please.
I'd say Ken Levine or Warren Specter would be a great fit. I'm not a huge Bioware fan, nothing wrong with them but I've never gotten into their games.

jkanownik said:
List of Cyberpunk Movies

A game inspired by Strange Days with the Blade Runner art style could be awesome.
I totally agree. By the way, did you guys know that the sample from "Right Here Right Now" by Fatboy Slim was Angela Bassett's line, from Strange Days? It's true.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HK-47 said:
SS2's psych/body horror bend was superior.
They're both in the top 5 of my all time list, but I'll take the original's sense of adventure over the survival-horror slant. The feeling of being a god-tier hacker was more to my liking.

Plus the weapons were way better. The environments more varied.

eggandI

Banned
Boring.

Give Tsutomu Nihei however much money he needs so he can make a Blame! video game exactly how he would envision it :D

th99a.jpg

todahawk

CENOBITE said:
6a00c2252b348e549d01101807546d860f-500pi

SnowCrash__Raven_by_ariokh.jpg

Dimitri_Raven_by_AOPaul.jpg

Make it so... The time is right.

Just finishing Snow Crash for the first time. Don't know how I didn't hear about that book sooner. At first I wasn't sure I liked where he was going with it but then it blew my ass away.

Tokubetsu

eggandI said:
Boring.

Give Tsutomu Nihei however much money he needs so he can make a Blame! video game exactly how he would envision it :D

th99a.jpg

I fucking love you. The ideal Blame! game would probably play something like Shadow of The Colossus when you think about it. Just you, your GBE and The City.

eggandI

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I fucking love you. The ideal Blame! game would probably play something like Shadow of The Colossus when you think about it. Just you, your GBE and The City.

Oh yeah. It would really have to be Nihei leading/semi-leading the project though. Or at least some very big fans of the manga/his works. I don't think just anyone would be able to recreate the atmosphere, the city and its inhabitants of Blame!

starsky

This thread hurts. Akira, Blame, Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, Neuromancer :(.

They will never make something like what you guys want and execute it well.

I would be amazed if they pulled the look off in an open world game this gen, all the particle effects and trash floating round might be pushing it....

prove me wrong!

GHG said:
Basically, you just want a next gen open world deus ex.

Its coming.
Do we know that Human Revolution will be open world, though?

Nessus said:
Count Zero was better.
I didn't like it that much but to each their own.

Nessus said:
Don't forget the incredibly dull Crazy Taxi-style missions that involve getting from point A to point B in under 2 minutes. No GTA clone would be complete without those.
Yeah that, and races of any kind, would not make it into this dream game of mine. Those missions are senseless.

paranoidfortean said:
Yet we have games like Bulletstorm coming out all the fucking time.
hold on there. people can fly are protected from this kind of garbagetalk. Let's fight

GONz said:
Open-world Syndicate... man I can dream, make it happen Starbreeze!
you know the subway stations in thedarkness were just the warmup for syndicate :O~

Bebpo said:
This is what shadowrun should have been. non-linear sandbox with rpg elements.
Exactly. A while back, it would have been perfect to see MS tie up with Bioware to produce what I think is a fucking no-brainer. The ruleset and universe is already there. Stupid MS. Hopefully, something cool comes out of Smith & Tinker.

Twig

Banned
HK-47 said:
Its so dead which is why shit still gets made in the genre. Nineteen Eighty Four didnt happened either, oh god those stupid dystopia writers!

It's called FICTION for a reason.
CCTV.

It's coming. Believe.

Anyway who the fuck cares if cyberpunk was a product of its time? It's still an aesthetically pleasing setting with potential for great stories and whatnot. Ficiton is fiction.

Also what the fuck is this singularitarianism bullshit. I can't believe this is even a word. It is appalling to look at.

Stencil said:
Steampunk sucks. I'm so sick of seeing needless valves and cogs on EVERYTHING. Cyberpunk rocks.

ya steampunk style has been overused to death in the last 10 years in games/movies....i feel like cyberpunk is actually still very 'fresh'

also to the neil stephenson fans....ive read most of his books and its really too bad he hasnt been able to top snow crash...

mr stroke

thetrin said:
There aren't enough cyberpunk games, period. Cyberpunk open world would be pretty awesome.

Final Fantasy series?

I would love more Cyberpunk games, I don't know how much of a market there is for that now a days though :(

vocab

LOL Snow Crash GTA style game would be lulzy, and bad ass. Bringing down the Pizza Mafia would have to be an optional side plot for sure. It would be sick to have those harpoon skateboards that latch on to cars for quick transportation as well.

I just want Deus Ex, Neuromancer, Shadowrun SNES, and Snow crash in one game. It would be the game of forever. Also, make hacking like Dystopia. Seems like the best interpretation of jacking into cyberspace.

Also, as a Gibson fan, Burning Chrome (the actually story is pretty good), but the rest of the short stories suck. Johnny Mnemonic would of been good as a real book, and not some shitty movie/cheesy FMV game.

mr stroke said:
I would love more Cyberpunk games, I don't know how much of a market there is for that now a days though :(

If there can be boring bland looking post apoc games, there's a market for highly stylized and flashy cyberpunk games. The tech is there to make a great game.

Epcott

ezekial45 said:
The things i'd do for an open-world Ghost in the Shell game.

^Fucking this

It's sad, but the only GITS game I enjoyed was the PSX original.
But it would be sweet to play a game where you pilot a Tachicoma over the city, or go by foot, actually go into most buildings, and solve unique CSI-like cyber crime cases... in a world with a graphic engine similar to Heavy Rain (sprawls edition).

Jack into terminals and people and go into this euphoric colorful open-world cyberspace too (thinks of the message board from stand alone complex)

droooooool

Not gonna happen though :. (

The only recent game that I can think of that's come close in tone and setting was Red Faction Guerrilla.

The world needs more cyberpunk.

Dead Man

RubberJohnny said:
No shit Sherlock, but you fail to realise that science fiction is a product of it's time. The 50's had E.E. Doc Smith and WW2 technological advancement applied to the future, the 60s had Cold War paranoia, with invasions from within and all of that.

Cyberpunk is 80s consumerism, "haves versus havenots" and "punks are scary". It's only interesting as a product of it's time. None of those constituent elements are relevant to the audience that's going to be buying the game.

Stuff like Transhumanism and Singularitarianism speaks more to modern themes, supplanting the 90s silicon valley boom in computing onto society.
Transhumanism IS cyberpunk.

Twig

Banned
Well, transhumanism is PART of cyberpunk.
FrostuTheNinja said:
The only recent game that I can think of that's come close in tone and setting was Red Faction Guerrilla.

The world needs more cyberpunk.
Huh?

RF:G is... nothing like cyberpunk.

Yoboman

TheJollyCorner said:
Battle Angel Alita game please...
This

I'd love to see a real developer take it on to coincide with the James Cameron film

Sadly we'll probably get some EA or Ubisoft shoveltrash

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I don't think I'd care about a cyberpunk GTA. Can't say cyberpunk really appeals to me.

Odrion

Banned
K.Jack said:

Oh man, this is a good idea.

Top Bottom