• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The time is now for a cyberpunk GTA style game

Guys, SHUT UP! :(
We're hurting ourselves for no good reason here.

Never understood why Cyberpunk seemed to have died out so quickly. I dunno, I just feel that a good looking cyberpunk fps (that's not what i would like) would sell very well, as long as it has a fairly unique style and looks good. I guess the big shots with the money can't imagine spending cash on something which is not fairly identical to something else that was done before (though bioshock was something new) , but I dunno. I feel it would sell.

Oh well.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Love me some cyberpunk. Just re-read Snow Crash for what feels like the umpteenth time, and a world based on a similar IP would be epic. I'll wait to see what Deus Ex 3 has to offer.

Funnily enough, William Gibson was interviewed on CBC's "Q" just today. It's a great listen.

the best *punk PERIOD game of all time has already been conceived

it just needs to be given life

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff...

...Time works the same way.

149bo21.jpg

AkuMifune

Banned
GTA-style yes, Fallout 3-style yes, just not Gears-style, please.

This genre deserves an open world and some RPG elements, at least.

White Man

Games can't even get scifi right beyond the summer action movie flavor and you expect them to do something as nuanced as cyberpunk? I can't really see anything that feels accurate being anything other than a graphic adventure or whatever we're calling Quantic Dreams games.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
WANT RED DEAD REDEMPTION-LIKE CYBERPUNK (WITH ONLINE MODE TOO) OPEN WORLD GAME NOW PLEASE.

White Man said:
Games can't even get scifi right beyond the summer action movie flavor and you expect them to do something as nuanced as cyberpunk? I can't really see anything that feels accurate being anything other than a graphic adventure or whatever we're calling Quantic Dreams games.

I would say that science fiction is more nuanced than cyberpunk and there are some good examples like Alpha Centauri. When it comes down to it cyberpunk stories are just adventure yarns with a noir theme and plenty of stuff that was cool and futuristic in the 80s. I guess that Cyberpunk is maybe more stylised and there are devotees of it out there who would be annoyed if too many of the stylistic points are missed or not taken seriously.

idahoblue said:
Transhumanism IS cyberpunk.
They overlap in certain aspects, like physical modification, but the themes are different.

Cyberpunk is often heavily anti-authority, with street samurai and deckers versus the megacorps.

Transhumanism often explores the themes of what it is to be human, and how you can lose that.

Also, every sandbox games needs races because they're a really quick and easy way of making content, and after building a massive detailed sandbox world you need a quick and easy way of making content. You might as well throw up your hands right now and admit you're in mystical idealism videogame land.

Also LOLing that Cyberpunk is "nuanced".

Haunted

Sequel to this please.

bladerunner_pc_game_front_cover.jpg

Deus Ex 3 might deliver.

Teetris said:
Criminally overlooked. Did have a lot of technical flaws, though.

Anachronox was great, too bad the second half never came out.

charsace

Bebpo said:
This is what shadowrun should have been. non-linear sandbox with rpg elements.
Shadowrun is a great multiplayer game so don't even start.

A GTAish type of cyberpunk game. The world could be made smaller, but most of the building can be entered.

RubberJohnny said:
They overlap in certain aspects, like physical modification, but the themes are different.

Cyberpunk is often heavily anti-authority, with street samurai and deckers versus the megacorps.

Transhumanism often explores the themes of what it is to be human, and how you can lose that.

Also, every sandbox games needs races because they're a really quick and easy way of making content, and after building a massive detailed sandbox world you need a quick and easy way of making content. You might as well throw up your hands right now and admit you're in mystical idealism videogame land.

Also LOLing that Cyberpunk is "nuanced".
GOOD cyberpunk explores transumanism

Lakitu

st5fu
This is what I've wanted all generation. But at least now we are getting Deus Ex 3: HR which looks really cool, and a new Syndicate. I hate, absolutely hate what they did with Shadowrun though. Mass Effect 1 and 2 also have some cyberpunk elements.

The Foul

Dreamweb_cover.png

Awesome p&c amiga cyberpunk game.

Imo, Fallout 3 is the closest thing to an open world dystopia sci-fi without actually being true cyberpunk. Deus Ex is crowning achievement obviously...

What I'd pitch would be Saints Row 2 but near future cyberpunk with hacking, Stealth, RPG stats, mechs n shit - gangs & all that... & fully destructible buildings like in Red Faction Guerrilla. And a fuckin zombie mode why not. Volition should do this.

Gorgon

RubberJohnny said:
No shit Sherlock, but you fail to realise that science fiction is a product of it's time. The 50's had E.E. Doc Smith and WW2 technological advancement applied to the future, the 60s had Cold War paranoia, with invasions from within and all of that.

Cyberpunk is 80s consumerism, "haves versus havenots" and "punks are scary". It's only interesting as a product of it's time. None of those constituent elements are relevant to the audience that's going to be buying the game.

Stuff like Transhumanism and Singularitarianism speaks more to modern themes, supplanting the 90s silicon valley boom in computing onto society.

RubberJohnny said:
Deus Ex 3 certainly looks like it's going to be more transhumanist than cyberpunk, focusing more on what it means to be human than an "authority versus anti-authority" thing.

And being a nearer future, and a more modern audience, don't you think they're going to have to update it? What relevance is a media uproar about punks to kids today? What relevance are the old-fashioned zaibatsus that provide for their workers in a country where 32% of the population are perma-lancers, freelancers working for a single company just so they can avoid being paid employee benefits? That stuff was based on things like the rise of Toyota, and Reagan.

They want a convincing future, they better be dropping talk of PMCs, green zones, terrorism, climate refugees, anoxic dead zones, financial instruments, and so on.

Those are far more relevant to a modern audience than punks.

So basically you're saying that Fallout 3 failed miserably because no one cares a fuck about 50's Americana. I mean, how is the 50's in America any relevant to kids today, right?

This is about atmosphere, not if it's relevant to modern times. That's why the Future Noir theme of Blade Runner is still such a phenomenon, and growing. In fact Blade Runner is far more popular today than it was when released.

dx3_3.jpg

Gamasutra interview with the art director of Deus Ex: Human Revolution:

Jonathan Jacques Belletete said:
The game is cyberpunk; the game is Deus Ex. But at the beginning we said, "You know what? With the PCs today, with the consoles today, we could pretty much just do Blade Runner in real-time, with the same aesthetics." But then I said, "What would that say, really? What kind of life would that have?"

You know, it's been seen over and over -- maybe not perfectly executed in real-time in a game -- but still, what would it say? And it really wouldn't be from us. So we wanted to put our own soul, if you want, in the game's visuals. We had that whole idea of cyberpunk and Renaissance, and then we coined the term "Cyber-Renaissance," basically. It was really cool.

At first, designing the costumes and characters, we went through a lot of weird, cuckoo-looking things until we really nailed it to a credible, cool-looking thing -- you almost literally would want to wear those clothes, and you can see that happening in about 20 years. And not everybody wears that in the game. It actually goes with the [social] classes.

Not the entire game feels like Cyber-Renaissance. There's a lot of very contemporary stuff, and there's a lot of also very cyberpunk-ish stuff that we're used to seeing in other cyberpunk literature or movies or whatever. So, all this kind of intermixes and kind of makes our own flavor, really.
dx3_2.jpg

In the Deus Ex timeline, the big collapse is in the early 2030s. We're right before that. The phrase that we use in the game is, "It's not the end of the world yet, but you can see it from here." It's almost as if it's the end of that golden era.

There's still a bit of frivolousness. It's still very dystopian, because major parts of the game are very gloomy and heavy. It's all there. You feel there's still that aspect of [how] people can actually afford augmentations. Augmentations can also be just stuff in the brain, implants. It doesn't mean that everybody looks like cyborgs. There's some of that, but there is also hidden stuff. It's right on the edge of breaking down.
Sounds promising. They're definitely putting their own spin on the traditional cyberpunk setting. I guess we'll see for ourselves how successful that ends up being.

Jme

I would pre-order this directly from the developer TODAY if it meant grassroots funding (and a 5 year refund policy if the game is not out or have made legitimate progress in development by then)

Jme

EmCeeGramr said:
the best *punk PERIOD game of all time has already been conceived

it just needs to be given life

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff...

...Time works the same way.

149bo21.jpg

500px-Gauss-johnny.jpg

"You know what? With the PCs today, with the consoles today, we could pretty much just do Blade Runner in real-time, with the same aesthetics." But then I said, "What would that say, really? What kind of life would that have?"
Motherfucker.

Though I like what they're going for.

stuminus3

If they released a cyberpunk GTA game, sales would be flushed so far down the toilet...

Not that I wouldn't love it. I mean, I'd LOVE it. It's been my dream forever, too. But it wouldn't sell to the dudebros who usually buy GTA in such huge numbers.

stuminus3 said:
If they released a cyberpunk GTA game, sales would be flushed so far down the toilet...

Not that I wouldn't love it. I mean, I'd LOVE it. It's been my dream forever, too. But it wouldn't sell to the dudebros who usually buy GTA in such huge numbers.
I disagree, I think if done well and marketed well it could do fine. Dudebros love Halo too you know. No reason they wouldn't like a GTA with a quasi-futuristic spin.

5492bb75d1b1.jpg

miss this game.

heavy rain's engine is perhaps best conducive to a product like this.

also, mirror's edge is perhaps the most recent game i'd remotely consider "cyberpunk" however its aesthetic is too clean to really fit the descriptor. i guess its more of a "dystopian" setting than anything.

Twig

Banned
If ever there's a cyberpunk game like Heavy's Rain I will shit down the developer's throat for wasting the potential of cyberpunk on that shit.

Stop it.

Stop it all of you.

Cyberpunk as a whole was probably underexplored and now hardly represented anywhere... maybe that's a good thing.

When Shadowrun became yet another FPS, the cyberpunk indian could be seen shedding a tear on the side of the road.

Dude, even your name is evocative of disasters averted. Imagine if Johnny Mnemonic had been Neuromancer instead? What if Keanu Reeves had forever been remembered as Case personified. That would suck.

Or it could've been awesome... in fact, it could be the videogame debacle of the century!

Christopher Walken as a wacked-out Armitage.

Stay with me here... an extremely bored Scarlett Johansson as Molly.

Kevin James, who has never heard the word "cyberpunk" cracking one-liners as Wintermute.

Seth Green taking himself way too seriously as Larry Modern.

Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy as an authentically rednecky Dixie Flatline.

Steve Buscemi as Ratz

Think about it!

Keanu busting out with "Someone's gotta be funny around here! Sure the fuck isn't you, Ratz, 'cause people trusted you and they died and you're going down!! Isn't you either, bro, so you hang loose, dude!"

Twig said:
If ever there's a cyberpunk game like Heavy's Rain I will shit down the developer's throat for wasting the potential of cyberpunk on that shit.

Stop it.

Stop it all of you.
depends on why you like cyberpunk i suppose.

if you're going for the more traditional "its a detective story set in the future" then heavy rain is the best way to convey the kind of events you'd see in such a story. to me this would be amazing.

doesn't mean i wouldn't play a hack n' slash staring hiro protagonist wielding a giant samurai sword, though.

DeuceMojo said:
Cyberpunk as a whole was probably underexplored and now hardly represented anywhere... maybe that's a good thing.

When Shadowrun became yet another FPS, the cyberpunk indian could be seen shedding a tear on the side of the road.

Dude, even your name is evocative of disasters averted. Imagine if Johnny Mnemonic had been Neuromancer instead? What if Keanu Reeves had forever been remembered as Case personified. That would suck.
Not sure Hayden Christiansen is going to be any better though. =\

I don't necessarily want a straight video game adaptation of Neuromancer or anything in Burning Chrome, just something evocative of that setting and atmosphere.

Twig

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
depends on why you like cyberpunk i suppose.

if you're going for the more traditional "its a detective story set in the future" then heavy rain is the best way to convey the kind of events you'd see in such a story. to me this would be amazing.

doesn't mean i wouldn't play a hack n' slash staring hiro protagonist wielding a giant samurai sword, though.
Hack 'n' slash is not what I want either.

I stand by what I said. Keep that shit far, far away from cyberpunk.

Top Bottom