• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The time is now for a cyberpunk GTA style game

Diebuster

I'd love to play the game in the OP. I never understood why there are so few cyberpunk games, the genre seems like such a perfect fit for videogames.

ezekial45 said:
I thought it was ok. The music was AMAZING, though. The Paperhouse theme is my favorite track.

I haven't played it in awhile though. Has it changed since it's release?

I always found it odd that they made such a phenomenal soundtrack and then hardly used it in the game.

New maps were added a while back, but aside from that, I don't think much has changed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ezekial45 said:
I thought it was ok. The music was AMAZING, though. The Paperhouse theme is my favorite track.

I haven't played it in awhile though. Has it changed since it's release?

They had one big update in like October that did some wep fixing and added in like 5 or 6 new maps plus a few night time versions.

roMonster

If done correctly it would be done a great direction for the GTA series.

Like the people asking for CoD:Future Warfare we should be asking for GTA:Future Crime.

Dennis

Banned
Massive open-world Cyberpunk GTA with RPG elements and cybernetic implants to upgrade your stats. All rendered with CryEngine 3?

*DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL*

Mass Effect 2 (specifically Omega) is such a tease in that it gives you an idea how amazing a game like this could look. I'd also be partial to Mass Effect/bioware's dialog style for a game like this. All we need now is someone with the balls, budget, and skills to make it happen (aka never). I feel like while we're there technically, a game like this done right with today's standard of visuals would take way, way longer to make than any reasonable budget would allow. At least with the level of world detail I'm envisioning. We need a crazy renegade billionaire gamer for this guys.

Cyberpunk is a sub-genre that died when the Internet became democratised. There's no Facebook or eBay in these worlds, just megacorps, governments and deckers.

It's so 80's it hurts. You think anything in there is relevant today? I mean, street gangs of punks - punks, really?

DieH@rd said:
Heavy Rain type game, set in the Cyberpunk setting. Chasing rogue AI-s, fighting crazy heavily modified humans full of crazy drugz, and non stop darknes & rain.

WIN.
I hope you've played and finished Deus Ex many times already.

Dennis

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
Cyberpunk is a sub-genre that died when the Internet became democratised. There's no Facebook or eBay in these worlds, just megacorps, governments and deckers.

It's so 80's it hurts. You think anything in there is relevant today? I mean, street gangs of punks - punks, really?
Get out

DieH@rd said:
Heavy Rain type game, set in the Cyberpunk setting. Chasing rogue AI-s, fighting crazy heavily modified humans full of crazy drugz, and non stop darknes & rain.

WIN.

this but make it more sandbox than heavy rain and it would be amazing....

RubberJohnny said:

massive fail...dont you see facebook/ebay *are* the megacorps...

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
sega4ever said:
the op sounds like it would be a good shadowrun game
That's what I was thinking. A true Shadowrun game that's not a FPS.

I dream of an awesome remake of the SNES version or something styled like that.

Mindlog

DieH@rd said:

WIN.

That's basically:
riverofgods.jpg

(also post)

and it would be an awesome game

I agree with the OP. It is time for cyberpunk. Let Deus Ex 3 be the harbinger of nerd-boners. or something

Lumine

RubberJohnny said:
It's all about Transhumanism/Singularitarianism.

Cyberpunk exists today, purely as nostalgia.

What are you talking about? Cyberpunk would just be a fun setting for a videogame. No one is arguing that it's a realistic depiction of the future.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RubberJohnny said:
It's all about Transhumanism/Singularitarianism.

Cyberpunk exists today, purely as nostalgia.
Facebook implants and human livestock sold on eBay believe.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RubberJohnny said:

Its so dead which is why shit still gets made in the genre. Nineteen Eighty Four didnt happened either, oh god those stupid dystopia writers!

It's called FICTION for a reason.

Lumine said:
What are you talking about? Cyberpunk would just be a fun setting for a videogame. No one is arguing that it's a realistic depiction of the future.

HK-47 said:
Its so dead which is why shit still gets made in the genre. Nineteen Eighty Four didnt happened either, oh god those stupid dystopia writers!

No shit Sherlock, but you fail to realise that science fiction is a product of it's time. The 50's had E.E. Doc Smith and WW2 technological advancement applied to the future, the 60s had Cold War paranoia, with invasions from within and all of that.

Cyberpunk is 80s consumerism, "haves versus havenots" and "punks are scary". It's only interesting as a product of it's time. None of those constituent elements are relevant to the audience that's going to be buying the game.

Stuff like Transhumanism and Singularitarianism speaks more to modern themes, supplanting the 90s silicon valley boom in computing onto society.

The only Cyber Punk game I own is Cyber Doll. =/

That game was badass though. Punching the heads off cyborg-bitches 24/7.

Who cares if it's relevant? Didn't stop people from making those wacky Fallout games.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Neuromancer said:
I'm proposing a GTA style cyberpunk game in which you run around a city in the near future, but instead of killing prostitutes and doing drug deals (which you could still do on the side, prostitutes and drugs clearly aren't going anywhere) it'd be more about hacking into computers to steal data and money, upgrading your body with grafted muscle and software implants, couriering data Johnny Mnemonic style (short story of which is in Burning Chrome, forget the Keanu Reeves disaster), buying and selling 'hot' equipment, hustling at virtual/augmented reality games, etc. At it's heart could be a heist story like in Neuromancer or feel free to make up your own thing, that's less important than the world and the setting.

make it 100% first person with associated animations for every in-game action like breakdown and with the ability to platform ala mirrors edge/brink and i'd agree, game of forever

The time was two years ago when GTA4 came out. They should've followed the script and reimagined the GTA2 setting in aitch-dee instead of going back to Liberty City.

RubberJohnny said:
consumerism, "haves versus havenots"

I know. It's great to live in a world where these themes have become irrelevant with the passage of time. :lol

Stuff like Transhumanism and Singularitarianism speaks more to modern themes

I hate to burst your bubble but nobody actually gives a shit about transhumanism.

Lime

Besides Deus Ex 3 (somwhat cyberpunk), are there any plans or indications of someone developing a cyberpunk game?

Cyberpunk is the shit. The fact that very few have used the genre is pretty atrocious.

charlequin said:
I hate to burst your bubble but nobody actually gives a shit about transhumanism.

Now, now, don't spout nonsense, my good man. One could argue that cyberpunk and transhumanism is related in the sense that both concern the convergence of man and machine.

HK-47 said:

i have a feeling we will get there soon enough

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DiscoJer said:
Not to be a smartass, but as a genre, isn't cyberpunk pretty much dead?

Indeed, walk into a bookstore these days, most of the sci-fi/fantasy section is either urban fantasy (often with a touch of romance) or military SF.

Then again, as a literary genre, post apocalyptic SF has been dead a long time, and Fall Out still worked well as a game, and popular too.

Eh, they all come and go in phases. I can't wait until "urban contemporary fantasy" phases out again. The Dresden Files are like the only books to ever get that right, and even then....

DennisK4 said:
wat.....no

You have no idea what cyberpunk is, do you? :lol
Empire City did look like your typical cyberpunk metropolis... but only because of what happened to it just before the game's events. Pretty sure that's what he meant.

charlequin said:
Deus Ex 3 certainly looks like it's going to be more transhumanist than cyberpunk, focusing more on what it means to be human than an "authority versus anti-authority" thing.

And being a nearer future, and a more modern audience, don't you think they're going to have to update it? What relevance is a media uproar about punks to kids today? What relevance are the old-fashioned zaibatsus that provide for their workers in a country where 32% of the population are perma-lancers, freelancers working for a single company just so they can avoid being paid employee benefits? That stuff was based on things like the rise of Toyota, and Reagan.

They want a convincing future, they better be dropping talk of PMCs, green zones, terrorism, climate refugees, anoxic dead zones, financial instruments, and so on.

Those are far more relevant to a modern audience than punks.

yes fucking please all over. This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I wish I had the funds and resources to make this happen.

Why is cyberpunk so rarely visited in video games? I only know of a few games that fit that description. Am I wrong to think this?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The_Technomancer said:
Eh, they all come and go in phases. I can't wait until "urban contemporary fantasy" phases out again. The Dresden Files are like the only books to ever get that right, and even then....

There are some comics that do urban fantasy pretty well like Hellblazer.

A cel shaded open world game based off AKIRA would make my year. Riding around Neo Tokyo on Kanadas bike while smacking Clown gangs in the face 'Road Rash' style would make the best opening level in a game ever. Last boss Tetsuo blob boss would be bad ass too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:

Eh, no they do. Though I think a lot of people confuse that and post cyberpunk with cyberpunk itself, and dont care about the stories so much as the imagery, which can be appropriated by other sub genres.

Nessus

Count Zero was better.

Also, really don't understand the "cyberpunk =/= sci-fi" comment.

(Good) sci-fi is about exploring the ramifications of technology on society. I'd say Gibson-style cyberpunk qualifies, especially when you consider when Neruomancer was written (though Heinlein did beat him to the punch with the novel Friday, which features augmented data couriers in a dystopian future in which corporations are more powerful than nation states, and describes Wikipedia-style wandering from seemingly unrelated subject to subject back in 1982).

Compared to, say, Star Wars, which is merely fantasy with sci-fi trappings.

Neuromancer said:
I'm proposing a GTA style cyberpunk game in which you run around a city in the near future, but instead of killing prostitutes and doing drug deals (which you could still do on the side, prostitutes and drugs clearly aren't going anywhere) it'd be more about hacking into computers to steal data and money, upgrading your body with grafted muscle and software implants, couriering data Johnny Mnemonic style (short story of which is in Burning Chrome, forget the Keanu Reeves disaster), buying and selling 'hot' equipment, hustling at virtual/augmented reality games, etc. At it's heart could be a heist story like in Neuromancer or feel free to make up your own thing, that's less important than the world and the setting.

Don't forget the incredibly dull Crazy Taxi-style missions that involve getting from point A to point B in under 2 minutes. No GTA clone would be complete without those.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, forgot that Johnny Mnemonic was published a year earlier.

Lime

Host Samurai said:
A cel shaded open world game based off AKIRA would make my year. Riding around Neo Tokyo on Kanadas bike while smacking Clown gangs in the face 'Road Rash' style would make the best opening level in a game ever. Last boss Tetsuo blob boss would be bad ass too.

Be still my beating heart!

Top Bottom