• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New, extremely detailed, extremely positive Deus Ex: Human Revolution preview

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly or I missed something, but if there's no skill system what do the experience points do? What do you use them on? Cause we've already got Praxis points for augs and credits for buying items ... ?

The author is right, this does seem to be the sequel we've all been waiting for. So pumped

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Big Chief Crazy Cone said:
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly or I missed something, but if there's no skill system what do the experience points do? What do you use them on? Cause we've already got Praxis points for augs and credits for buying items ... ?

The author is right, this does seem to be the sequel we've all been waiting for. So pumped
My understanding is that experience points translate into Praxis points. You can also collect Praxis points separately.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game better be amazing. That would ensure a Deus Ex rebirth for the world to enjoy, with many sequels following.

All signs are pointing to the awesome, especially if the game really is supposed to be 25 hours long.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
DennisK4 said:
Please be good.

I need Deux Ex back in my life....and I want other developers to start making cyberpunk games.

GTA: Cyberpunk and Assassins Creed: Neo Tokyo would be nice start.
I think you meant Syndicate.

I'd drown puppies for that. Oh God.

Dennis

Banned
Funky Papa said:
I think you meant Syndicate.

I'd drown puppies for that. Oh God.
Isn't it pretty much certain that we are getting a new Syndicate?

Don't think it will resemble a GTA game though.

But yeah, Syndicate needs to come back

Chairman Yang said:
My understanding is that experience points translate into Praxis points. You can also collect Praxis points separately.
Presumably if they fine tuned the systems to such an extreme that depending on the way you played instead of getting XP you would receive credits which would later be used to buy Praxis points. Which would offset the lack of XP by providing you with pretty much the exact same benefit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Starbreeze is working hard on it im sure. Seems like it would fit them pretty well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
DennisK4 said:

Dice was in charge of that, but I don't thing we've even seen a single piece of art in what? two years?

Edit: Starbreeze, not Dice.

Edit: There are rumours about Starbreeze showing something in private during the GDC. I hope that means what I think it means.

Draft said:
Shooting stuff sucks absolute balls in two of those games. Why should a mechanic that doesn't produce good game play be used? Because it satisfies some proposed checklist of things that are in RPGs? That's bullshit. It's the worst kind of inside the box thinking.

A game with real time aiming mechanics doesn't need a secondary math check to determine shot success. That system is unintuitive. The skill check happened when the cross hair was put on target and the trigger pulled at the right time.

A skill check can determine how well your character can control the recoil after the first shot or burst of shots, how steadily he can hold the weapon over time, how quickly you can reload, or any number of things that wouldn't impede your ability to put a bullet where you want it from the start.

If there was ever a game where the shooting should involve mechanics a little deeper or more realistic than every other standard FPS this would be it.

Chairman Yang

Lostconfused said:
Presumably if they fine tuned the systems to such an extreme that depending on the way you played instead of getting XP you would receive credits which would later be used to buy Praxis points. Which would offset the lack of XP by providing you with pretty much the exact same benefit.
Could be. Alternatively, maybe they just want to dole out a certain minimum level of Praxis points, which they can do separately, and XP is mostly just for optional stuff.

tiff

Banned
Draft said:
Actually in pretty much every modern FPS, ignoring lag, bullets are treated like laser beams. If the cross hair is over the target when the trigger is pulled, it's a hit.

Now, if we were talking about a system where bullets were affected by physics, that would be interesting. But we're not. We're talking about pulling the trigger from 10 feet away and whiffing the shot because the RNG pulled a 3 and was looking for 7.
Bullets are treated like laser beams in that there's no travel time, but many FPSes give you worse accuracy when you're running or standing up and better accuracy when you're standing still or crouching. Sometimes there's also a difference between whether you're using iron sights or shooting from the hip. You don't hit what you're aiming at every single time.

Am I wrong here or am I misunderstanding something or what?

Chairman Yang

Confidence Man said:
A skill check can determine how well your character can control the recoil after the first shot or burst of shots, how steadily he can hold the weapon over time, how quickly you can reload, or any number of things that wouldn't impede your ability to put a bullet where you want it from the start.

If there was ever a game where the shooting should involve mechanics a little deeper or more realistic than every other standard FPS this would be it.
The baseline is that if you aim at something perfectly, you hit it, but there is an accuracy aug in the game, although I'm not sure exactly how it works. It might be the recoil stuff you're talking about.

Dennis

Banned
Below are first the original color scheme and then my color-corrected more bluish version.

I simply can't get over how much more I prefer the more bluish version. People may not care but the visual design is my only real point of worry about this game now.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
DennisK4 said:
Below are first the original color scheme and then my color-corrected more bluish version.

I simply can't get over how much more I prefer the more bluish version. People may not care but the visual design is my only real point of worry about this game now.

If Crystal Dynamics's engine is anything to go by, from the users who modded the Tomb Raider games in the engine, then you've got nothing to worry about if you wish for that pallete. I love both visions (the original and the blue tint-Deus Ex mood version) so I'm going to enjoy playing both on different runs, like I did with the Resident Evil 5 Colour mod.

Amir0x

Banned
They both have their pros and cons, but I think this is one of those games that shouldn't have as dominate a color as is here. I think it sorta distracts from the package.

But it's no biggie.

Dennis

Banned
StuBurns said:
Top one is far better.
Its people like you who are ruining games like this one, GTA IV, RE5 and Codemasters games.

I hate the fucking filters. I hope one of the next-gen features will be the return of color.

~Kinggi~

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Its people like you who are ruining games like this one, GTA IV, RE5 and Codemasters games.

I hate the fucking filters.
I enjoy the gold color as well.

Developers i think should give all games the golden shower.

StuBurns

Banned
DennisK4 said:

I hate the fucking filters.
You've put a filter on, it's just blue, it's nothing like 'real' colour, look at the bottom right shop front stand thing, it's sickly blue in yours, looks horrible.

EDIT:

HIeJL.jpg

That's a little better I think.

StuBurns said:
Top one is far better.
Its a style preference. I think I prefer the gold look more. But only because that's the theme and I get a greater sense of there ambient light everywhere because everything is electronic and glowing.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
DennisK4 said:

With all due respect the "colour correct" version looks like utter balls and for once, a colour filter actually suits Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Like it or loathe it, Deus Ex: HR has a distinct art style, and your efforts to "correct" it make the game would make the game lose a heck of a lot of the character I have observed of it thus far.

Anywya, that preview has got me pretty excited. I am a bit of a Deus Ex fanboy, and frankly, if Eidos can capture just half of what made Deus Ex so great, I'll be a happy bunny. Yes, it isn't gospel, just in the mire of this COD influenced generation, the lessons that the game taught have never been further from developers minds.

I have an open mind for this game, and I wont dismiss it completely for not "being Deus Ex" but so far, it appears that lessons have been learned, especially since the initial reveal and that we're in for an actual gaming treat here. All we need is a (new) release date. Something something something September?

Zeliard

I sorta like the yellowish one more because it gives the environments more a feel of uncleanliness and depravity - helps it emphasize the punk in cyberpunk a bit more. These are some dirty, downtrodden areas, juxtaposed with advanced tech. Dominant blue makes it look a bit cleaner and more sterile, I think.

Dennis

Banned
ugh, I hate all of you.

10 more years of monochromatic gaming confirmed.

Well. at least it really seems that Eidos were serious when they stated their intent with this game. It really does sound like an updated version of the gameplay from the first game.

If succesful it would give them the chance to maybe make a sequel to more or less coincide with the next-gen consoles in a few years time.

I really wish they would hurry up an release some DX11 screeens or trailer to the public.

Edit: except Foliorum Viridum

Amir0x

Banned
DennisK4 said:
ugh, I hate all of you.

Well. at least it really seems that Eidos were serious when they stated their intent with this game. It really does sound like an updated version of the gameplay from the first game.

If succesful it would give them the chance to maybe make a sequel to more or less coincide with the next-gen consoles in a few years time.

I really wish they would hurry up an release some DX11 screeens or trailer to the public.

I don't think it's like that, DennisK4. I would greatly prefer a normal color version of this game. The piss filter is unattractive. I just think the way it was handled in your image didn't necessarily have all the pros that direction should have. It didn't seem dramatically better than what we already have, in other words, which shouldn't be the case.

I am totally with you on the dumb monochromatic direction of games and this one in particular. I've never liked the piss filter.

DennisK4 said:
ugh, I hate all of you. Edit: except Fli

Go pitch TW2 in some RPG thread, cheer your self up.

Its still monochromatic if you change the color of the filter from yellow to blue.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
StuBurns said:
Top one is far better.
Indeed, but just like it happened with the Diablo 3 chops, you can only do so much with post render colour balance. It would be better if the ads were brighter and more vibrant, but I'm more irked by the ultra high tech look (the game is a whole lot slicker than the original game, and it's supposed to be a prequel!)

Dennis

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't think it's like that, DennisK4. I would greatly prefer a normal color version of this game. The piss filter is unattractive. I just think the way it was handled in your image didn't necessarily have all the pros that direction should have. It didn't seem dramatically better than what we already have, in other words, which shouldn't be the case.

I am totally with you on the dumb monochromatic direction of games and this one in particular. I've never liked the piss filter.
Yeah, I am not saying that my 20 second Photoshop edit was going to be the end point, just that simply adding some more color (I like blue!) would improve the visuals.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Yellow or blue, either way, I want to explore that place right now.

There better be some good old fashion air vents and multi level buildings to expore across like in the first game. I missed that sense of exploration and wonder that many games lack today where you have a feel to take some time off on the main quest and drown in the art and find some goodies/secrets in a game packed with life like this.

Funky Papa said:
Indeed, but just like it happened with the Diablo 3 chops, you can only do so much with post render colour balance. It would be better if the ads were brighter and more vibrant, but I'm more irked by the ultra high tech look (the game is a whole lot slicker than the original game, and it's supposed to be a prequel!)
Its all because of modern perceptions. William Gibson commented that the matrix looks outdated and stuck in the 90s instead of looking futuristic or something. Time moves forward, what was futuristic when Deus Ex came out is approaching modern day reality in some ways.

Zeliard

ZombieFred said:
There better be some good old fashion air vents and multi level buildings to expore across like in the first game. I missed that sense of exploration and wonder that many games lack today where you have a feel to take some time off on the main quest and drown in the art and find some goodies/secrets in a game packed with life like this.

Man, level design is one of the things they'd better get right here. No matter how quality everything else is, it'll still be a huge blow if they don't.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Lostconfused said:
Its all because of modern perceptions. William Gibson commented that the matrix looks outdated and stuck in the 90s instead of looking futuristic or something. Time moves forward, what was futuristic when Deus Ex came out is approaching modern day reality in some ways.
Yeah, but cyberpunk *is* outdated almost by definition. It needs to be a bit anachronistic, like future steampunk with serial ports going into the back of your head, exposed circuits and what not.

Honestly, any game looks better without piss filters. So much yellow is horrendous.

F1 2010 and Resi 5 are so ugly with filters, and then beautiful when modded out.

Dennis

Banned
ZombieFred said:
Absolutely.

I really miss the days when exploring a game would yield secret areas with some ammo or other reward for exploration.

For some bizarre reason this has fallen out of favor with developers.

Funky Papa said:
Yeah, but cyberpunk *is* outdated almost by definition. It needs to be a bit anachronistic, like future steampunk with serial ports going into the back of your head, exposed circuits and what not.
Right but in Deus Ex it was more like the modern day was falling apart with some futuristic stuff bolted on top of it. Not like Blade Runner where it was the future that was messed up and breaking down.

Edit: Maybe just to me it seems like Deus Ex was closer to some kind of a dystopian future vision rather than what I imagine cyberpunk to be. Most of the stuff that Gibson wrote about is more futuristic than Deus Ex was and closer to what Human Revolution is trying to be.

WarZombie

Neo Member
I never understood why everybody was so worried, this game looks outstanding. I suppose it's because I never played the first two (I know, heresy). I know it isn't new, but the system of being able to approach any situation and tackle it the way you want (Guns blazing like a commando or sneaking like a ninja) sounds awesome.

Also, I would play an Assassin's Creed: Neo Tokyo game.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
DennisK4 said:
Absolutely.

I really miss the days when exploring a game would yield secret areas with some ammo or other reward for exploration.

I hate how most alternative paths need to lead to something meaningful and important these days. Old FPS used to be filled with crazy secret levels, ocult corridors, nerdy easter egss and whatnot.

Oh well.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
DennisK4 said:
Absolutely.

Most likely they sacrifice deeper level design due to memory/resource costs on specific engine limitations, in terms of running on home console hardware. Or they just don't have that ambition to really make a believable open environment. I do miss those good old days where level design was king back in the late 90s and the early 2000's :( Still, we're at this time again where developers can really get a bang out of their buck thanks to better tools and technology than it was a few years ago this generation. This is still my most anticipated game for the year for me, and to see Eidos Montreal make a name for themselfs to the other developers out there.

WarZombie

Neo Member
DennisK4 said:
Absolutely.

Bungie still does this with their games. I've found random Rockets, Sniper Rifles, etc. more than a few times when I was exploring. I agree, although not necessary, rewards for exploring are cool.

ezekial45

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I refuse to believe people like the piss filters. Its all about trolling me, I get it.

I love it myself. Those blue images just look awful, imo. Especially when you the "old" filter peeking out.

I'd hate to see what it looks like in motion. Ugh.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Now you know what would be awesome? Eidos Montreal releasing an SDK for us to play and make our own stuff for this game.

I wouldn't mind pumping out my creativity and desire to create a map based around the idea of a big corporation Yacht and its staff and VIPs celebrating, with its dense layers of floors and security, on a search and rescue mission. That possibility of being open ended to the player’s game preference and open ended exploration to go further in the details of the mission, would be fantastic. A man can dream :(

Top Bottom