• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new FFIV DS V Jump scans

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Gantz said:
Gah why can't they stop with the crappy FFVII blocky character designs?

At least it is CONSISTENT unlike FF7.

What irritated the hell out of me was that there were 2 character models, one for in battle and one for outside of battle on the maps.

PolyGone

Banned
Gantz said:
Gah why can't they stop with the crappy FFVII blocky character designs?

troll harder

These models are textured, unlike the ones in FFVII which were pretty much just gouraud shaded with textures for eyes. Besides, the proportions of these characters are better and they're more in line with FF IX than VII anyway.

Hero

Looking good. I suppose in another ten or twenty years they'll be another FFIV remake. Hopefully it'll be on consoles so they make the CG renders in game models.

Who am I kidding? At the rate Square-Enix is going, it'll probably happen in five years.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
takotchi said:
As for the freaky little white critters (pōchika)... meh, somebody that knows more than I do can translate that maybe.

I don't know, but he yells "I'm not a Moogle!"

Majmun

Rydia in-game character model is such a boner-killer. And Yang Fang looks totally uncool too when you compare it to its cgi model.

I'd love to see a FFIV with the same character design as the cgi models.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
WTF is going on with Rydia and Rosa? They're casting spells together? That's not a FFIV mechanic... unless, the Twin ability?

Kinda doesn't make sense though.

madara

I would never want play FF1-6 with advent children visuals but if they added realism and proper movements with extreme detail and made it like book art come to live with some crazy cell shading or sprite tech my journey in life would be complete. By now you think they could make a world like the Last Unicorn come to life given how old it is but I suppose I underestimate the time involved with drawn cells.

Amir0x

Banned
Mejilan said:
WTF is going on with Rydia and Rosa? They're casting spells together? That's not a FFIV mechanic... unless, the Twin ability?

Kinda doesn't make sense though.

you can now customize all characters with any abilities or some shit, i don't know the exact details but i know they said this in the other thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thanks for clarifying that. I missed that news (probably when I was overseas). I guess that means that we won't get quite the same GBA post-game content and ability to fully customize the final party. Ah well.

duckroll

Amir0x said:
you can now customize all characters with any abilities or some shit, i don't know the exact details but i know they said this in the other thread

No. Characters that "die" or leave the party in the game (doesn't everyone lol) in FFIV DS will leave behind abilities that can be inherited into another character of your choice. What is shown is indeed the Twins ability.

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
No. Characters that "die" or leave the party in the game (doesn't everyone lol) in FFIV DS will leave behind abilities that can be inherited into another character of your choice. What is shown is indeed the Twins ability.

see i said i didn't know the details.

sounds lamer this way

Desiderus

TheJollyCorner said:
what? Shadow in FFIV? :D
Haha was going to say the same thing or Gessho from FFXI.

gessho01.jpg

Was looking for his "WTF?" pic.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
see i said i didn't know the details.

sounds lamer this way
Given how FFIV fans have been bitching bitterly about characters no longer being unique it's probably better this way.

MCD

I stopped playing the PSX version (FFC) in the
Underworld part
, i might pick this up to see the rest of the game.

when i reached that place, i just stopped playing and never bothered to play it again.

Deku

Banned
McDragon said:
I stopped playing the PSX version (FFC) in the
Underworld part
, i might pick this up to see the rest of the game.

when i reached that place, i just stopped playing and never bothered to play it again.

The PS version was unplayable with CG done by what appears to be 5th grade 3d max students. It must have had a budget of 100 en.

MoxManiac

Deku said:
The PS version was unplayable with CG done by what appears to be 5th grade 3d max students. It must have had a budget of 100 en.

PS version of FFIV? The port was fine. CG was defintely crappy though

ethelred

Yeah, I thought 4 in Chronicles was fine. The ports of CT and 6 were unplayable due to loads, though, and 5 had one of the worst translations ever.

Also, based on the limited details available to us, I really like the direction they're taking the gameplay in this remake in that it seems it will, like FF9, allow each character to remain unique and job-based while still introducing some ability customization options. In Ito we trust!

cvxfreak

Interesting about the characters that leave behind special abilities. Should make for some interesting combinations. Who shall inherit Edward's hide? :lol :lol

I can imagine SE redoing the Giant of Babel attack so that only the character's spirits actually lead a counterattack or some shit like that so they can remain dead while coming back.

madara

Bebpo said:
Looks ok. Hope it's full voice for cutscenes.

Would rather just have the text myself or the option at least to just have text and let my own imagination voice the characters as this title has anyways done for me. Plus I don't mind reading in a rpg though I realize today's rpger don't care for that as much or considers that old school. I hope they don't use cg cut scenes too much though as they really dont blend in with rest of FF4 too well.

SOLDIER

cvxfreak said:
Interesting about the characters that leave behind special abilities. Should make for some interesting combinations. Who shall inherit Edward's hide? :lol :lol

I can imagine SE redoing the Giant of Babel attack so that only the character's spirits actually lead a counterattack or some shit like that so they can remain dead while coming back.

Wait, is it actually confirmed that
the characters are going to STAY dead? That would kind of ruin several important plot points, wouldn't it?

PolyGone

Banned
ethelred said:
Yeah, I thought 4 in Chronicles was fine. The ports of CT and 6 were unplayable due to loads, though, and 5 had one of the worst translations ever.

Also, based on the limited details available to us, I really like the direction they're taking the gameplay in this remake in that it seems it will, like FF9, allow each character to remain unique and job-based while still introducing some ability customization options. In Ito we trust!

6 load times were annoying but not game breaking imo in that version.

PolyGone said:
6 load times were annoying but not game breaking imo in that version.
If 6's load times were not game breaking for you, then I doubt any load times ever could be. I'd tell people to reenact the game with homemade sock puppets before I'd send them to that version of FF6.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
God, I am getting so horny looking at this. I want more release date information!

haircut

Pureauthor said:
Dark Wave/Surge/Whatever had better still be useable after he goes Pally.
That would make no sense and mess up the character, and IV actually has a decent story/character arc.

Also move is too good and it'd pretty much nerf the game.

RevenantKioku said:
God, I am getting so horny looking at this. I want more release date information!

from http://www.infoplease.com/dayinhistory?month=dec&day=20&submit=Go%21

December 20

Samuel Slater built the nation's first cotton mill in Pawtucket, R.I.

The United States purchased the Louisiana territory from France for $15 million.

South Carolina became the first state to secede from the Union.

Author John Steinbeck died at age 66.

The United States invaded Panama and installed a new government but failed to capture General Manuel Antonio Noriega.

Astronomer Carl Sagan died at age 62.

haircut said:
That would make no sense and mess up the character, and IV actually has a decent story/character arc.

Also move is too good and it'd pretty much nerf the game.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHA... HA

You're.... not being serious, are you?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Aeana said:
12/20/07 isn't enough information for you?
Whoops! :D Last mag I saw just had "2007" so I figured nothing changed yet.
Woo, DQIVDS in November and FFIVDS in December! Now if only October had a cool release.
Pureauthor said:
IV's stuff is far from terrible. C'mon now.

haircut

Pureauthor said:

Most of the characters have some nice inner turmoil without being overbearing. They're also likable. Golbez is a pretty good bad guy (the art doesn't hurt) and the story takes you to
the moon.
What's not to like?

General criticism is that everything was horrendously accelerated - I felt no emotional weight of Cecil going from Dark Knight to Pally.

Also, the rapidity with which the characters were willing to off themselves - particularly when it hardly seemed necessary - required more suspension of disbelief than I was willing to give. Not to mention... they all came back. Well, except for the old guy, but nobody cares - he's old.

If we really want to go into specifics, I'd do so, but not right now - I have to be somewhere in a while.

Also, apparently they're expanding the scenario here, so it might fix some of the story complaints. We'll see.

Says the creepy sales-age fanfiction guy.

I am not creepy! GRRRR

Desiderus

Pureauthor said:

Will I go that far? Yes, I will. This update looks amazing but the added scenario's have to be good because the game didn't age well for me.

PolyGone

Banned
Pureauthor said:
General criticism is that everything was horrendously accelerated - I felt no emotional weight of Cecil going from Dark Knight to Pally.

how old were you when you played it the first time? The way you talk, it sounds like you played it for the first time as an adult on the GBA. Most of the fans played it on the SNES when they were much younger... even the official blog says something along the lines of, "The last time you played FF4 was in elementary school..." etc so considering it was written with that audience in mind, it was very good.

When I played it for the first time, at its SNES release, I certainly felt the emotional weight of Cecil going from Dark Knight to Paladin. That was an awesome moment.

Darkpen

Banned
wait... wasn't there a scan that looked like that for Rydia and Yang a while ago? The page looks... different than before, not to mention those weird tofu-head looking things.

But you know what I'm surprised about? The number of people who are shocked when they see Rydia. A lot of people seem to have forgotten that SHE GETS OLDER.

As for FFIV's story, personally, its my favorite. Well, the game's my favorite, in general. A lot has to do with how balanced the gameplay and story is. They're not overcomplicated, but they're not incredibly simple either. Everything is fairly basic, but there's just enough political intrigue, drama, and comedy to make it the most enjoyable FF.

Most notably, all of the characters are incredibly iconic.

Darkpen said:
wait... wasn't there a scan that looked like that for Rydia and Yang a while ago? The page looks... different than before, not to mention those weird tofu-head looking things.

But you know what I'm surprised about? The number of people who are shocked when they see Rydia. A lot of people seem to have forgotten that SHE GETS OLDER.

As for FFIV's story, personally, its my favorite. Well, the game's my favorite, in general. A lot has to do with how balanced the gameplay and story is. They're not overcomplicated, but they're not incredibly simple either. Everything is fairly basic, but there's just enough political intrigue, drama, and comedy to make it the most enjoyable FF.

Most notably, all of the characters are incredibly iconic.
It's from a different magazine, that's why it looks different. But yeah, lots of overlap between the two writeups.

Desiderus

PolyGone said:
When I played it for the first time, at its SNES release, I certainly felt the emotional weight of Cecil going from Dark Knight to Paladin. That was an awesome moment.
I always felt that change killed his character. His purpose during his time as a Dark Knight was wanting to change himself. After "changing" he no longer had that purpose and felt empty. He seemed to just be dragged everywhere and getting into the problems and issues of others. The whole
Golbez is his brother
part felt like a reason just to say "Cecil still talks!" (even if the lines consisted of '...').

PolyGone said:
how old were you when you played it the first time? The way you talk, it sounds like you played it for the first time as an adult on the GBA. Most of the fans played it on the SNES when they were much younger... even the official blog says something along the lines of, "The last time you played FF4 was in elementary school..." etc so considering it was written with that audience in mind, it was very good.

Okay, so it's a nice children's story. But I wasn't a child when I played it for the first time (well, unless you consider 16 years old a child), and of course I'd criticize it from my own perspective.

Darkpen

Banned
PolyGone said:

I didn't play it on the SNES, but I did play it on my PC on an emulator, stalled for a few years, and then went back to play through its entirety.

As someone who beat FFIV during highschool, and having played a lot of it during middle school (but never finished), I found the game delightfully enjoyable. Its not too heavy, but its not too light. It has just enough of everything to make it a symbolic game that represents what the rest of FF strived to be. The characters, the story, everything; its all iconic, like a Shakespeare play.

Darkpen said:
I didn't play it on the SNES, but I did play it on my PC on an emulator, stalled for a few years, and then went back to play through its entirety.

As someone who beat FFIV during highschool, and having played a lot of it during middle school (but never finished), I found the game delightfully enjoyable. Its not too heavy, but its not too light. It has just enough of everything to make it a symbolic game that represents what the rest of FF strived to be. The characters, the story, everything; its all iconic, like a Shakespeare play.

Time. Out.

You did not just compare Final Fantasy IV to Shakespeare. You. Did. Not.

Darkpen

Banned
Saoh said:
ff4_desktop.jpg

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

made by me! :D can't wait for this game and FF6DS
DO WANT D:!!!!

Can you make one for Cain? Please? Pretty please? Where did you find this clean picture to use? D:?!

Flakster99

I'm such a hypocrite, dismissing SE and their remake philosophy, but hot damn, Final Fantasy 4 owns my soul.

Can't wait to see this in motion. :D

Top Bottom