• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXIII + vs XIII HQ scans (56k beware)

batbeg

SolidSnakex said:
So he looks cocky and he's a fugitive. Again he should be the main character. :p

Oh man oh man oh man. Thank you Square-Enix.

Man, I go to sleep for four hours, thinking I've seen all the pictures we're going to get, then loads more comes out!! I've got classes now so I've not been able to read everyones translations and stuff, but what I've read so far...

:D

:D :D

I'm excited. These games look so intense and incredible, I am 100% amazed.

batbeg

Ephemeris said:
I haven't felt the urge to play a Final Fantasy game this bad since..

.. shiit. The FF8 PSM Demo. :lol :lol

I imagine the Demo for XIII is coming out late 2k8. -_-

The FF8 demo came with Brave Fencer Musashi.

At least, mine did.

Ceb

batbeg said:
Oh man oh man oh man. Thank you Square-Enix.

Let's not go too overboard with our praise though.

I mean, seriously, now that they've released media from the latest trailers there's no reason why we shouldn't get glorious HD videos up on PSN right away.

NeonBlade

Banned
But honestly, I had no idea. The entire scenario and premise of Versus just looks superior. This crew just looking to cause unrest. Realistic looking futuristic environments of some far off utopia maybe even a dystopian era. A crew with cars, actual vehicles. It just looks slick.

Far better than the other FFXIII with oompa luumps animals running around in the wild, and people in put together rags that attempt to pass as character design. Utter fantasy school girl playing in/with panties bullshit. Where as in Versus it looks like actual clothing and stylish at that.

I declare today, fuck the other Fiinal Fantasy XIII day.

batbeg

Ceb said:
Let's not go too overboard with our praise though.

I mean, seriously, now that they've released media from the latest trailers there's no reason why we shouldn't get glorious HD videos up on PSN right away.

Fuck that, I already said before I went to sleep with the low quality pictures, I am Square-Enix's bitch. I will bend over backwards to take it for these guys - I have never been this excited for one game, much less two. These games just look like something else to me.

And I have finished reading this thread before my classes... all that's left is MOAR TRANSLATIONS! Where's the interviews?!

TTFN!

NeonBlade said:
Its all about Versus baby, the other FFXIII looks like absolute *******.

I've seen people get banned for this before. You gettin a free pass?

Hell I really don't see how you come to that conclusion anyway. The FFXIII designs are a lot more practical and less emo than what I've seen from Versus thus far. Not that I'm hating on Versus at all.

ukiraros

Awntawn said:
34eb3me.jpg

So her name is Chris!
j/k
1zz2f7s.jpg

Yummy <3

She is soo freaking HOT!

Basch

Oh my God. What have you done to me SE?!? You made two of the hottest games of forever. How dare you. This is simply stunning. What's with all the news pouring out now. I love the character designs, for both games. They each have their own unique style, and both have some of the best designs of any game. Every single screen is like watching a painting move right before your eyes. Congratulations.

By the way, does anybody else think we should do a blowout thread, one for each XIII and Versus XIII? Like the one we did for Resistance 2. I think they deserve it. And it would be a lot easier hopping back and forth between multiple scan threads. :D

7Th

NeonBlade said:
But honestly, I had no idea. The entire scenario and premise of Versus just looks superior. This crew just looking to cause unrest. Realistic looking futuristic environments of some far off utopia maybe even a dystopian era. A crew with cars, actual vehicles. It just looks slick.

Far better than the other FFXIII with oompa luumps animals running around in the wild, and people in put together rags that attempt to pass as character design. Utter fantasy school girl playing in/with panties bullshit. Where as in Versus it looks like actual clothing and stylish at that.

Giant dinosaurs running around in the wild are superior in terms of setting to Nomura's pseudo-mafioso storytelling, FFXIII overall design feels like attempting to bridge the quirky world of older RPGs to the popular melodramatics of nowadays.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Basch said:
By the way, does anybody else think we should do a blowout thread, one for each XIII and Versus XIII? Like the one we did for Resistance 2. I think they deserve it. And it would be a lot easier hopping back and forth between multiple scan threads. :D
I agree. Way too many XIII and vsXIII scans threads.

I endorse the idea of a blowout thread if they start releasing media more constantly as I hope they will do.

Basch

Alaluef said:
I agree. Way too many XIII and vsXIII scans threads.

I endorse the idea of a blowout thread if they start releasing media more constantly as I hope they will do.

I can start designing the OP throughout the day today. We'll see how things go. I have to get some homework done first though. Hopefully, I could get them up by tonight (11:00--ish Central Time).

batbeg

It might very well get closed as being too much of an "official" thread. Though it is annoying hopping from scan thread to scan thread.

NeonBlade said:

Fuck Agito?

(Nobody was at my classes :( )

NeonBlade

Banned
7Th said:
Giant dinosaurs running around in the wild are superior in terms of setting to Nomura's pseudo-mafioso storytelling, FFXIII overall design feels like attempting to bridge the quirky world of older RPGs to the popular melodramatics of nowadays.

Ha ha.

No.

kay

7Th said:
Has me interested way more than 12, I couldn't even get past the main characters.
Although I have finished one of the worst designed games ever just to see what happened to some characters.. Magna Carta

batbeg

brandonh83 said:
Versus looks pretty awesome but I don't think it looks superior to FFXIII.

kay: where did that Nomchan art come from :lol

I believe it's from that blog where the girl drew out the designs when she saw the trailer months ago.

harSon

Banned
Sooooooooo when is Square going to add some minorities to their game? Is Fabula Nova Crystallis some sort of Aryan Utopia? :lol That's certainly one thing that pisses me off about Japanese development...

Defuser

harSon said:
Sooooooooo when is Square going to add some minorities to their game? Is Fabula Nova Crystallis some sort of Aryan Utopia? :lol That's certainly one thing that pisses me off about Japanese development...
Dude,stfu about that. Don't bring Gamefaqs crap into here.

Pharmacy

Banned
harSon said:

black people dont exist in japanese peoples eyes so it wouldnt make sense they would think theyre enemies so when japanese people see black people in real life after playing ffxiii they will try and kill them and get some gil but IT DOESNT HAPPEN. ITS JUST MURDERR.

also scans are fucking aamazing

harSon

Banned
Pharmacy said:
black people dont exist in japanese peoples eyes so it wouldnt make sense they would think theyre enemies so when japanese people see black people in real life after playing ffxiii they will try and kill them and get some gil but IT DOESNT HAPPEN. ITS JUST MURDERR.

also scans are fucking aamazing

I saw a few Nigerians and other Africans in Japan when I traveled there, it's not like Black people are a foreign entity now. I'm sure there are some Persians,Indians, etc spread through out Japan as well.

djtiesto said:
Wow, Versus looks really incredible, but... Kingdom Hearts gameplay :( :( :(

Well Nomura said to imagine a realistic Kingdom Hearts crossed with a third person shooter. It's certainly ambitious. Only time will tell how well they're able to pull it off.

Fuu

I ingenuously thought we couldn't sink even lower when discussing FF games.

SolidSnakex said:
Well Nomura said to imagine a realistic Kingdom Hearts crossed with a third person shooter. It's certainly ambitious. Only time will tell how well they're able to pull it off.
The KH games actually have good gameplay. It's not a bad path for vsXIII to follow, as long as they stay away from button mashing (more of a problem in KH2 than in 1).

I like Versus XIII better. It's darker and darker always leads to cooler :D Nah really, to be honest, I didn't have the slightest bit of interest in these new FF games... It's just that I've been disappointed by the last installments (basically all the PS2 games) and I'm not really sure I want to get my hopes high on these ones. But the darker scheme in VsXIII sure looks good. Specially the pic with the blond girl amongst the buildings in the middle of the night :O It kind of reminds me of the Parasite Eve setting.

Just a couple of doubts. I've hear Nobuo Uematsu refused to make the music for XIII cause apparently he "wasn't inspired by the game." Is this true? (not that I care really, but I was wondering). Also, is it true that the battle system in XII is making a comeback for XIII? If so, for both games or just for the main one?

edit: I got the answer for one of the previous questions in the posts above. Glad to hear VsXIII will be more an action RPG :p but I still don't know about 'the main' FFXIII.

NeonBlade

Banned
harSon said:

It could be an underlying self hate, wishing they were of some aryan descent. It could be they think white skin is pretty, ( it isn't really ). What is really is, is a defective aggressive genetic genome mutation that serves no purpose bound for extinction and eradication in the coming milennia , but why even carry on this talk on a gameing board. Lets just enjoy the games.

batbeg

Defuser said:
Dude,stfu about that. Don't bring Gamefaqs crap into here.

...? GameFAQs crap? Concern over representation within a game is a perfectly legitimate discussion, especially over a company who claims they want to branch out and reach more of a western audience. They need to try to diversify if they really care about reaching out so much.

I've also been a bit annoyed about the lack of minorities in the games and keep hoping they will eventually pump it up. Unfortunately it seems like minorities are only ever allowed in vulgar analogic forms (rat-people, the beast things from X, whatever the rabbit-ears were called in XII) or as extreme minorities (Barrett is... the only black man on the planet?).

Edit: If people are so beat up about it it doesn't need to be discussed of course, but to call the concerns "Gamefaqs crap" is plain stupid.

Replicant

harSon said:
Sooooooooo when is Square going to add some minorities to their game?

The last time I check Barrett (FFVII), Yuna/Tidus/Riku (FFX), Fran (FFXII) are not caucasians. Fran is not even human.

Fuu

I don't care what race or color are the characters, let the designers do whatever they want as long as it looks good and interesting. Every character can be black or white for what I care.

Would be ridiculous if they felt obligated to add a representant of every race in their games.

batbeg said:
(Barrett is... the only black man on the planet?).
qxjddj.gif

Dyne.

t9tnh0.gif

Rude.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
djtiesto said:
Wow, Versus looks really incredible, but... Kingdom Hearts gameplay :( :( :(

it's not Kingdom Hearts gameplay , it's ARPG ( RPG with a action game's fight system ) it's like Zelda , KH . Dark Cloud 1/2 , Rogue Galaxy , the core gameplay still pure RPG like anyother FF ( with upgrade , elements , puzzles , play as more than one character ) the fight system will be more like KH , and they will upgrade they style for sure , think of it like CC:FFVII but with KH freedom , or DMC fights with RPG elements/ treatment , there is alot of game uses Action RPG style in serious way like Rogue Galaxy and it's like traditional RPG .

Alaluef said:
The KH games actually have good gameplay. It's not a bad path for vsXIII to follow, as long as they stay away from button mashing (more of a problem in KH2 than in 1).

I don't really think KH have bad gameplay. But for this they really need to give more depth. I think something along the lines of GoW should be good enough for this type of game as long as the TSP part of the game is also fleshed out. That aspect of the game just needs to rip its shooting system from basically every other game using the RE4 style camera.

Alaluef said:
I don't care what race or color are the characters, let the designers do whatever they want as long as it looks good and interesting. Every character can be black or white for what I care.

Would be ridiculous if they felt obligated to add a representant of every race in their games.

qxjddj.gif

Dyne.

t9tnh0.gif

Rude.

Yea, Rude was obviously a black guy

AC_Reno-Rude.jpg

Anyway, not many characters have been shown so far... but it can be assumed that at least in FF13 vs there won't be much diversity in its main characters.

Fuu

SolidSnakex said:
I don't really think KH have bad gameplay. But for this they really need to give more depth. I think something along the lines of GoW should be good enough for this type of game as long as the TSP part of the game is also fleshed out. That aspect of the game just needs to rip its shooting system from basically every other game using the RE4 style camera.
I agree. I'm positive they can pull off something at least decent, if not great.

I have issues with the TPS part, though... I'm sure it'll be one of the many weapons the protagonist will use, so if I have to keep my expectations on the realistic side, some parts of the gameplay will shine, some not so much.

I'd rather have the game concentrate on a few aspects and do them greatly than have many concepts and only being so-so with them.

Anyway, I have high hopes for the swordplay!

near

Gold Member
Dark FaZe said:
I've seen people get banned for this before. You gettin a free pass?

Hell I really don't see how you come to that conclusion anyway. The FFXIII designs are a lot more practical and less emo than what I've seen from Versus thus far. Not that I'm hating on Versus at all.

I honestly am finding it difficult to favour one, both are just spectacular so far. I just can't get enough of either one of them.

We need more Info ! :lol

Alaluef said:
I agree. I'm positive they can pull off something at least decent, if not great.

I have issues with the TPS part, though... I'm sure it'll be one of the many weapons the protagonist will use, so if I have to keep my expectations on the realistic side, some parts of the gameplay will shine, some not so much.

I'd rather have the game concentrate on a few aspects and do them greatly than have many concepts and only being so-so with them.

Anyway, I have high hopes for the swordplay!

I'm a bit confused about the TPS part. According to an earlier posts, guns are outlawed in Versus world and the blonde kid is an outlaw because he carries that shotgun type weapon. Nomura's revealed that the Prince isn't going to be fighting on your own so it seems like the group with the him will be fighting along with him similar to what goes on in KH. So will the TPS part come in with you possibly being able to change characters when it comes to battles so you can take advantage of all the different characters abilities? The Prince would still be the main character in that scenario.

harSon

Banned
Replicant said:
The last time I check Barrett (FFVII), Yuna/Tidus/Riku (FFX), Fran (FFXII) are not caucasians. Fran is not even human.

Yuna and Tidus fit in perfectly with the rest of their character designs. Tidus and Wakka (I'm guessing he was a pacific islander?) were the only non-white human cast members. It's not really that big of a deal, I just thought we would be passed this kind of thing in 2008... Especially for a franchise that is inspired by several cultures.

Fuu

SolidSnakex said:
I'm a bit confused about the TPS part. According to an earlier posts, guns are outlawed in Versus world and the blonde kid is an outlaw because he carries that shotgun type weapon. Nomura's revealed that the Prince isn't going to be fighting on your own so it seems like the group with the him will be fighting along with him similar to what goes on in KH. So will the TPS part come in with you possibly being able to change characters when it comes to battles so you can take advantage of all the different characters abilities? The Prince would still be the main character in that scenario.
Maybe the Prince will be able to steal weapons from his enemies like he does in the trailer.

2wnmno7.jpg

5altzl.jpg

I'd love to have this and be able to change characters. Both are great features.

Something I think is really neat is his ability to teleport to where he throws his weapons. I can't wait to see how this will be implemented in the gameplay.

harSon said:
Yuna and Tidus fit in perfectly with the rest of their character designs. Tidus and Wakka (I'm guessing he was a pacific islander?) were the only non-white human cast members. It's not really that big of a deal, I just thought we would be passed this kind of thing in 2008... Especially for a franchise that is inspired by several cultures.

I'd say the real reason you don't see minorities in these games is because they're scared of offending people. Japanese developers are scrutinized more than any other developers when it comes to their portrayal of minorities. Barret is a good example of this. He was seen as just some walking stereotype, although people seem to ignore how he took care of Marlene. On the other hand look at Cole in GoW, who's just as big (probably bigger) and there isn't much of a big deal made about that.

Ryan actually brought something similar about this up on the KojiPro podcast. Apparently after MGS came out Konami received several complaints from people that they were being racist because of the accents they used.

harSon

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'd say the real reason you don't see minorities in these games is because they're scared of offending people. Japanese developers are scrutinized more than any other developers when it comes to their portrayal of minorities. Barret is a good example of this. He was seen as just some walking stereotype, although people seem to ignore how he took care of Marlene. On the other hand look at Cole in GoW, who's just as big (probably bigger) and there isn't much of a big deal made about that.

Ryan actually brought something similar about this up on the KojiPro podcast. Apparently after MGS came out Konami received several complaints from people that they were being racist because of the accents they used.

People can fuck off then :lol

SolidSnakex said:

Well Barret taking care of a kid doesn't keep him from being a Mr. T wannabe, or any less of a joke.

And I dont' want to be dragged (or drag the thread off topic) but Gears of War probably pisses me off the most with its lame ass black characters, this compounded by me being in numerous games where I hear "hey hey, let's get nothing but black guys"... sometimes you can substitute a non favorable word for black as well...

Concerning Versus... if it is similar to KHs I hope it has more complex moves, and yea switching characters rather than just being stuck with assisting npcs would be ideal. Imagine stringing combos by switching characters on the fly.

Top Bottom