• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New fighter Blade Strangers annnounced (Studio Saizensen/Nicalis) for PC, PS4, Switch

ggx2ac

Bruh I can be Kawase in a fighting game?

I was excited when the guy was saying the game was like Smash Bros, until he meant the control inputs.

It'd make a lot of sense for Kawase to be in a Smash Bros style game because of the platforming.

I'll accept this though.

It's on Steam (Yatagarasu)

Good mechanics but nothing that stands out.

You don't miss anything.

I know, it's the PC game they were supposed to be bringing to 3DS originally... pre 2013. Then it moved to Vita:

http://gematsu.com/2013/08/yatagarasu-coming-to-ps-vita-as-legend-of-raven

Then it was supposed to be PS4/Vita in 2015:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117313

And now it's 2017, nowhere in sight and here's a new Nicalis fighting game. Hence my skepticism.

This should appeal to me in theory, but I'm not feeling this...looks janky and undercooked, like a slightly better version of that horrible Vanguard Princess fighting game on Steam.

Eila

Hmm so this was the mistery game Degica/Saizensen teased a few months back. Looks derived from Blade Arcus but with their own characters (And Cave Story).

Wait, they made Blade Arcus? Interest is deflating quickly, that game was sooooooooo off putting when I played it. Jank the game. I hope they learned from their past experience. =/

mollipen

Like the idea, like the roster so far, but it does look a little rough. Desperately needs more frames, at least from this clip. Speed I won't complain about yet, because I still love stuff like SamSho II.

Even if it's only okay, I'll take it. Like was mentioned earlier, I have no problem with getting more mid-tier fighters like we had back in the Saturn era.

shaowebb

Like the idea, like the roster so far, but it does look a little rough. Desperately needs more frames, at least from this clip. Speed I won't complain about yet, because I still love stuff like SamSho II.

Even if it's only okay, I'll take it. Like was mentioned earlier, I have no problem with getting more mid-tier fighters like we had back in the Saturn era.

Blade Arcus is a big example of what 3d fighting games look like if you use keyframe poses and then scrub the timeline and just tweak curves for snappiness. It just doesn't look right. It looks clunky. You gotta tweak squash and stretch by hand and it didn't help that in game lighting really doesn't do wonders for shadow and highlight maps without a lot more tweaking than they gave. Plus they went low end on hit spark work to flashy up their attacks which is usually how folks cover for clunky stuff to add impact.

Thing is...Blade Arcus in spite of its poor animation and shader work is still a very good and very fun fighter with good systems. They need help in the art technical department but they made a good game in terms of mechanics and movesets. They just didn't look very flashy in motion sadly. I'm betting Blade Strangers will be damned fun and good gameplay, but I wont pretend its going to clean up its art. I'll go in with eyes open knowing what to set a low bar on art. I'm there for the gameplay.

Pejo

Doesn't look great, but I'll get it anyways.

It really just reminds me of the disappointment of Code of Princess. I was hoping for the second coming of Guardian Heroes, but it fell quite a bit short of what I wanted.

I hope the final game has at least 16-20 characters.

RedBoot

One of the screenshots has Liongate in it, so there's another Code of Princess character. Unless the roster is bigger than 10 characters (very possible), I'm going to go ahead and assume 6 CoP, 2 Umihara, and 2 Cave Story characters.

Thores

One of the screenshots has Liongate in it, so there's another Code of Princess character. Unless the roster is bigger than 10 characters (very possible), I'm going to go ahead and assume 6 CoP, 2 Umihara, and 2 Cave Story characters.
... What screenshot are you talking about? Is there additional coverage I missed?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

Eila

Guy just went and said his favorite character was Helen, which is not in the build. Unless it's an OC he probably meant Helga from Code of Princess.
tumblr_n1nbbuyx8U1snurrro1_500.jpg

Hey, I see Liongate (also from CoP) in there. Wasn't in the preview.

Guy just went and said his favorite character was Helen, which is not in the build. Unless it's an OC he probably meant Helga from Code of Princess.

Helga, Hope so, I really liked her.
Liongate? FUCK YEAH! Please be a decent game.

Opa-Pa

God damn, the title should mention this is a crossover fighter because I totally missed this yesterday.

The Code of Princess crew + Curly Brace + Umihara Kawase? I'm so in, even though it looks kinda hideous.

I'm so maining Ali and Curly. They should add Balrog and Misery!

Edit: BTW they mention who's making the soundtrack in the stream, but I can't make what he's saying. Does anyone have more info on that?

h0mebas3

Any chance she will be in this? Totally new to this series, but I like the character designs so far.

Eila

Any chance she will be in this? Totally new to this series, but I like the character designs so far.

She was one of the main characters of CoP. There isn't exactly a lot to choose from.
http://codeofprincess.wikia.com/wiki/Code_of_Princess
Not announced to be in the game yet are the nun, the bard, the necromancer and the ronin guy. I can't imagine Umihara Kawase getting another representative. Maybe there can be more Nicalis characters so the game isn't literally Code of Princess fighter.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
....is that Emiko-chan from Sayonara Umihara Kawase riding a giant cat?

We got TWO Umihara Kawase characters!?

Edit: No, THREE, because the blue-hair girl to the right of Umihara is Yokoyama Noko. Her ability was slowing down time, so I wonder if they'll incorporate that into this game.

Top Bottom