• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW, FINAL Wii's Interface Screens

santouras said:
yeah, pal systems link to nintendo-europe.com, methinks this is a US wii. Don't you crazy people in north america speak spanish and french in some places? Pretty sure I've heard rumours of that before.

In Canada, official languages are english and french. Spanish is the most common language used in Mexico.

The DS already allows you to set the language of the console, and I think it would be pretty unnecessary to lock the language setting for each region.

PoliceCop said:
Oh. I didn't realize wanting shader technologies made me a terrible human being. Forgive me for my trespasses.
For...menus? What the hell?

Also, you realize developers are free to program shaders, right?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Chris Remo said:
For...menus? What the hell?

Also, you realize developers are free to program shaders, right?

BUT NOT FOR THE WII'S OPERATING SYSTEM, DAMN YOU NINTENDO!!!!

unifin

I'm shocked PoliceCop is still with us.

And honestly, people, it's simple, easy - nothing too fancy, yeah, but is it really necessary?

I'm not looking for an orgy of complex animations, pans, and wipes every time I want to effing open up the home menu.

FightyF

Banned
I'm taking an HCI course right now so I'm looking at it from a very critical POV.

I think from a functional standpoint, there is good reason to have things that large. If Nintendo is marketing this towards the elderly, a big font is far easier to read.

Secondly, the overall contrast is extreme, which means that Nintendo is also catering to near blind gamers as well.

And finally, the colours used (monochrome for the most part) indicate that they want older folks who used to live in the 1940s and earlier who are accustomed to black and white televisions to feel more "at home" and comfortable with the Wii.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
anyone know if the little DS usb wifi dongle thingy will work for Wii Wifi?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I would like to see Mr. Resetti come on and bitch you out for turning off the system.

Hayami

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
And finally, the colours used (monochrome for the most part) indicate that they want older folks who used to live in the 1940s and earlier who are accustomed to black and white televisions to feel more "at home" and comfortable with the Wii.

no one who remembers TV from the 40s is coming anywhere near a Wii.

NotWii

Banned
It's obvious who in this thread has no clue about screen design.
It's also obvious who in this thread has no clue about SD/HD.

Hayami said:
no one who remembers TV from the 40s is coming anywhere near a Wii.

Sulu-Cdr_Big.jpg

"I disagree."

Ahhh... that's what I'm gonna be seeing next month when I finally finish reading the Wii instruction manual and stop inhaling the crack that's been sprinkled on the surface of the console and actually hook it up to my TV...

It's a shame it's gonna become so old so quickly... It's so cute.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
May be a wee-bit on the pain side... but its hard to think of a scheme that is more user-freindly than that. Its like you operate everthing by pushing giant friendly buttons (I wish my job was like that.)

.dmc

Banned
neoGAF 9/14: OMG! THE UI IS ****IN' AWESOME! NINTENDOMINATION TOTAL!
neoGAF 10/13: WTF IS THIS SHIT?! DID FISHERPRICE DESIGN IT? ****, NINTENDOOMED!

Some of you do realize that it does have to be turned on to start with, and probably again if it becomes unplugged, or there's a power failure? The machine WILL need to boot up once in a while, even if it's not often.

And the kids giggling secret to the GCN bootup is so odd. Went against the image they were going for. "We're a serious gaming company for adults to- DON'T PRESS THAT Z BUTTON!!"

Mejilan

Kulock said:
And the kids giggling secret to the GCN bootup is so odd. Went against the image they were going for. "We're a serious gaming company for adults to- DON'T PRESS THAT Z BUTTON!!"

It was an easter egg! One of two, at that!

SuperPac

Kulock said:
Some of you do realize that it does have to be turned on to start with, and probably again if it becomes unplugged, or there's a power failure? The machine WILL need to boot up once in a while, even if it's not often.

I figured (maybe I'm wrong) that there's a difference between the system being "on" and being "off." When it's "off" it would still draw some power while sending and receiving data from the network, but otherwise the disc drive, etc. would be off. I'd be shocked if it wasn't that way.

Clean, simple and its a UI....... do you use it everytime you switch on your Wii, or do you play the games? I know i used it every now and again, or whenever i wanted to cheat in Animal Crossing and time skip on GC....!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DefectiveReject said:
Clean, simple and its a UI....... do you use it everytime you switch on your Wii, or do you play the games? I know i used it every now and again, or whenever i wanted to cheat in Animal Crossing and time skip on GC....!

Well considering Wii has more uses than just gaming, like using it as a post-it note, web browsing, news channel and all that other crap...I sure as hell want a good looking OS

Wario64 said:
Well considering Wii has more uses than just gaming, like using it as a post-it note, web browsing, news channel and all that other crap...I sure as hell want a good looking OS

It is.
You seen the videos of it working, these are screen caps of a couple of menu pages.....?

Whats the problem? You want dancing Pikmin carrying every button across the screen, whom you have to collect before you can click a button?

Baryn

Banned
Wario64 said:
I don't know, how would you describe it? It sounds like children laughing on the GC boot up
I was just asking because this is the first I have heard of this egg. And now my GCN is long since traded in...

Mejilan

Boot up 1: Standard
Boot up 2 (kids): Hold Z during boot up
Boot up 3 (Japanese?): Hold Z on all 4 controllers during boot up?

I'm not sure about #3.

I like it when there's a disc in your Wii and you go to the disc channel, you hear the sound from the game (Zelda's discovery jingle in this case) and have an animated screen from the game.

dannie said:
bad capture pic~ and why it only have disc channel?
wiis2_02.jpg

here is what it look in your 16:9 TV
935580_20060914_screen013.jpg

935580_20060914_screen012.jpg

935580_20060914_screen006.jpg

935580_20060914_screen010.jpg

and Interface video~~~~i think everyone will like it
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/presentation/06.html

it is one of best Interface i ever seen~~ and it very easy to use

.dmc said:
neoGAF 9/14: OMG! THE UI IS ****IN' AWESOME! NINTENDOMINATION TOTAL!
neoGAF 10/13: WTF IS THIS SHIT?! DID FISHERPRICE DESIGN IT? ****, NINTENDOOMED!

Pretty much. Or maybe the trolls came out smelling blood.

Peru

The good thing is you can organize your VC games, you don't have to have every single one as its own channel in the main menu.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the menu system is low poly, not enough shaders, needs more bloom lightning, crappy textures.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I like it, nice big buttons that are easy to hit with the pointer. Nice and simple.

still ironic there is all these channels and no dvd channel. WTF nintendo.

Top Bottom