• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem DLC announced

Guessing you're not a fan of smash bros.

Two different types of fanservice, and you know it. The shitty type (the sexual fanservice this game and a ton of other games cheapen themselves with) and the good type (what Smash Bros. does with its trophies, old school music unlocks, etc).

Which brings up an interesting point; why even call it "fanservice" when it's really "sexual content". I'm a fan and they sure the fuck aren't servicing me by making characters I like in games suddenly flashing skin or other assorted bullshit even when it's wildly out of character. That just pisses me off, really.

dlc0809_img.jpg

Defeating the boss of Border between Life and Death within 10 turns nets you Est from Another World, art drawn by Kinu Nishimura.
Kinu? Awesome!

Why didn't they get her to draw Ike too? :(

NeonZ

Est was one of the characters who weren't included in the initially announced 120 spotpass characters... I wonder if the others will follow the same pattern? If that isn't a pattern and they just chose Est to make a joke of her character type (underleved character who can become good later - here she joins as a level 5 unit in a post-level 20 promoted map), then Eliwood, Hector and Sigurd would have a chance to make it in too. On the other hand, it might be just a one time joke too...

Gravijah

outside of the lack of clothes and bosoms everywhere, the art in Code of Princess is pretty nice.

i probably won't be playing it, though.

Two different types of fanservice, and you know it. The shitty type (the sexual fanservice this game and a ton of other games cheapen themselves with) and the good type (what Smash Bros. does with its trophies, old school music unlocks, etc).

Which brings up an interesting point; why even call it "fanservice" when it's really "sexual content". I'm a fan and they sure the fuck aren't servicing me by making characters I like in games suddenly flashing skin or other assorted bullshit even when it's wildly out of character. That just pisses me off, really.

The only bad fanservice is the fanservice I don't like.

Javier

When this hits America, I'm buying the Beach stuff because of the 200 Base Convos. That's one of my favorite things about Fire Emblem.

Solune

Code of Princess. :|

Right. One game tarnishes an excellent designer's reputation forever. Aside from the princess in CoP's designs Nishimura is pretty consistent and have a lot of visual flair without resorting to fanservice. If you'd like go ahead and name a few more titles where her work is overly pandering.

Chrom

Right. One game tarnishes an excellent designer's reputation forever. Aside from the princess in CoP's designs Nishimura is pretty consistent and have a lot of visual flair without resorting to fanservice. If you'd like go ahead and name a few more titles where her work is overly pandering.

Would Lotus from 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors count? Nishimura did the art for that game as well.

Not to say that I'm in favor of the idea that this kind of work demeans an artist's reputation, though.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

It's not like I dislike all of her designs, it's just that her idea of "sexy" (at least in recent times) is just dreadful and tacky. No subtlety at all. She is a nice illustrator, there is no denying that.

You wanna know what does grind my gears, though, is all this dumb artificial difficulty spike stuff. "hurr hurr let's make all the enemies triple promoted with overcapped stats and have you never attack first." as if the min maxing sperglords at serenesforest weren't already sucking all the fun out of the game beforehand.

Boney

Banned
Yes because a dumb tag given to me because I dared to disagree with a mod is so much more important then people buying shallow fanservice tripe that actually makes a game worse.
hehe relax dude

well I feel all dlc is the devil's work, but I don't go around calling other people for what they feel like getting.

From this standard Fire Emblem girl who looks like she can actaully fight-
196px-Cellica_Manual.jpg

To dopey eyed, "I look surprised for absolutely no reason other than making creeps feel like they need to "protect me"" -
CellicaKakusei.jpg

Ugh.

EDIT: People are defending the Nono shit? Really?... god.

She went from looking like a glue-sniffing high schooler's recolor of a SMT character to something professionally drawn. Plus magic>>>>>tiny swords. Why are you complaining?

Chrom

dlc0830_img.jpg

Clearing the new one that just came out, The Five Annas, with all five Annas alive will get you Catria, art drawn by Shinnosuke Hino.

Chrom

The trinity is now complete.

dlc0913_img.jpg

Defeat all seven Revenants in Labyrinth Pursuit to obtain Palla, art by Suetsugu Shigeaki.

Top Bottom