• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games at MS Gamer's Day: Banjo 3 and Vina Pinata 2 pics leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariexv

Speevy said:
I don't think any spin of worldwide sold vs. shipped PR could make Viva Pinata a million seller.
It might have taken a pack-in to do it but Viva did reach a million sales worldwide..... why do people even doubt it? 360 sells everything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ariexv said:
It might have taken a pack-in to do it but Viva did reach a million sales worldwide..... why do people even doubt it? 360 sells everything.

Because Kameo outsold VP and that game is only at 700k

Sean

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how VP2 sells. The 360 will be cheaper by fall 2008 and have a larger userbase, and the first Viva Pinata being bundled with 360's in europe might've hopefully introduced the series to people who otherwise would've ignored it.

I am glad that they're sticking with the franchise and trying to make it a success instead of outright abandoning it.

MCD

duckroll said:
I haven't heard anything of that sort for Cry On, so maybe Revelations wants to put up or shut up. Is he reading this thread? :)
He posted a page earlier, pretty sure he is reading.

Rlan said:
i_467428-1.jpg

DAMN this shot looks fantastic!

Speevy

Banned
Ariexv said:

No one counts sales like that. JSRF would be a million seller if that were the case.

bridegur said:
People dying for a new JFG should probably give up at this point. The closest you're going to get is the R&C series (which actually takes the JFG formula and makes it work).

bridegur said:
R&C series takes the JFG formula and makes it work.
Couldn't disagree more.

R&C has some cool ideas, but the core gameplay of JFG jizzes all over it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Green Shinobi said:
Couldn't disagree more.

R&C has some cool ideas, but the core gameplay of JFG jizzes all over it.

Like having actual difficulty and strategy. Ratchet is just about blowing things up. JFG was a serious shooter

Rlan

Hey I just noticed something...

banjo368542.jpg

screenshot_189353.jpg

trophythomas.jpg

- Kazooie's Present = What she's got in her hand in the screenshot.

- Banjo's Present = The Circular "ring holder" in the Trophy Thomas shot.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Nuclear Muffin said:
I think after seeing these Banjo shots I'm even more confused then I was before :lol

Kart Racer/Platformer?

I think the cart racing is just the multiplayer component Rare's been vaunting over the past year. There are probably several instances in the full game (as you can infer from the screen shots) where you drive a vehicle, so they probably expanded the vehicular gameplay into a mode of its own. I'm sure it'll be heavily customizable.

I just hope the driving isn't where Rare derives its "hey were doing something new" statements. I don't want this game's innovation to stem from the driving. Here's to hoping that it will be a traditional platformer with an inventive twist that it was described to be a year ago in a Eurogamer interview.

Green Shinobi said:
For sure. Some of those levels were no joke. And the final fight against Mizar made a lot of people cry.

Part of that was because the controls werent ideal on the N64. This is part of why I want a new JFG, because now consoles have proper shooter controls.

legend166

I don't know what to think about Banjo.

On one hand, Banjo Kazooie is one of my favourite games, and most of the people that made that are making this.

On the other hand, I didn't like Banjo Tooie at all.

On the third hand, if there is an emphasis on vehicles it means less emphasis on platforming which is the most dissapointing thing ever.

I'll still buy it though.

Orodreth

HK-47 said:
500k at last count. Dunno where people keep pullling this magic million number from

I think that amount was told in a gamasutra interview with Rare before e3 last year.

Anyway, i´m glad there´s a new Viva Piñata, even if it may not be the most suitable project for Rare, i´m really happy as its one my favourites games.

i hope they put not only more species and items but a lot of new features like more weather options, seasons, proper online this time, bigger gardens and much more customization,...

And would be nice to be able to reuse old gardens.

PS: and fix the damn helpers!

Linkzg said:
Part of that was because the controls werent ideal on the N64. This is part of why I want a new JFG, because now consoles have proper shooter controls.

Yeah JFG could easily be marketed to the 360 community. All of Rares franchises are excellent really, i'd take any and all of them.

soco

i'm so happy we're gonna get VP2.

i'm curious if the DS game releases before it, and if it may attract a bit more interest in VP2. not that it's a system seller or anything, but it can easily be one of the few reasons to get a 360.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Speevy said:
I don't think any spin of worldwide sold vs. shipped PR could make Viva Pinata a million seller.
VP hit 500k after the price reduction and before the 360 pack in. Then you also have to take in account the PC version. I doubt it hit 1Million, but since it broke 500k and the show has an acceptable rating, I am pretty sure thats what made MS to green light the sequel.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Banjo and Viva 2 look fucking amazing. I'm so stoked. :D

But at the same time, I REALLY hope these aren't the only announcements MS has for this event. It would be perfect for them to talk about the PJ Halo project, Bungie's next project (they said in a recent Update that one of their next projects would be revealed very soon) and the Spring Update.

One or two of those could be saved for E3, but still. :(

sinnergy

Rare really redeemned themselves in the graphics department. I am amazed that this all looks so good. Almost CGI cartoon like.
Now hoping the gameplay will be on par, I love the Banjo games.

Ariexv

Hopefully it's mainly platforming with maybe a vehicle section thrown in once in awhile.... and then Diddy Kong Racing Banjo Style for Multi-player/Online play that has customizable vehicles from the single player.

It's probably just the case that a large number of these screens happen to focus on vehicles. I'm sure Banjo 3 is not primarily a vehicle game.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Why is all so concentred on vehicles ? Why Rare ? This is not a shooting game !

Ive been playing Diddy Kong Racing all week. The hovercraft, karts and planes all control really well. I have faith in this initiative.

The screens look ok. Love the art style but technically not super imperssive. Can't wait to see it in action though

tak

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
No notes. No pieces of puzzle. No Jinjos. NO ITEMS AT ALL. Why Rare ????
Look at the pictures again, there are a lot of notes in them, but they're not that easy to see.

sinnergy

:lol @ the people saying No notes. No pieces of puzzle. No Jinjos.

You can all make this up out of a couple of screens?

Ever played a Banjo? It's part of Banjo, collectatons...

tak said:
Look at the pictures again, there are a lot of notes in them, but they're not that easy to see.

Holy crap. I hope that I'll not need a telescope when I'll play the game to find these objects. I still don't see them.

And these stupid vehicles entering the levels...

sinnergy said:
:lol @ the people saying No notes. No pieces of puzzle. No Jinjos.

You can all make this up out of a couple of screens?

Ever played a Banjo? It's part of Banjo, collectatons...

I played Banjo-Kazooie 4 times and Banjo-Tooie 2 times and I assure you that a screenshot without items was not easy to find. They were everywhere.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Yes, Rare. Keep on making the games you know how to make.

These look great.

Deepblue said:
I'm guessing the "Truman Show" area is basically a Banjo map maker, hence the lower-res textures and multiple configurations seen in screens.
The textures look better in this pic: http://images.gfx.no/467/467431/i_467431.jpg But its kinda funny how the plastic look of the artificial trees makes them look like primitive low poly graphics.

The Truman Show-esque virtual sky seems like a clever way of dealing with invisible boundaries so prevalent in open platforming stages.

KTallguy

Banned
bafflewaffle said:
But its kinda funny how the plastic look of the artificial trees makes them look like primitive low poly graphics.

I think the bubble trees are really nice looking actually. The racing stuff looks great, but I like the whole green landscape shot the best, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom