• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games at MS Gamer's Day: Banjo 3 and Vina Pinata 2 pics leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitsuj23

CowboyAstronaut said:
360 titles for me this year will be.

Banjo 3, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, Fable 2, Gears 2, Ninja Gaiden 2 (maybe), Too Human, Cry On (import confirmed) DBZ Burst Limit and who knows what else I'm forgetting.

Gears of War 2 =)

ampere

Man, I really hope they make a bonus disc for Banjo, like the one for Wind Waker.
They could put the two 64 games on it. I'd really like that.

ciaossu said:
Man, I really hope they make a bonus disc for Banjo, like the one for Wind Waker.
They could put the two 64 games on it. I'd really like that.

Even better would be a Soulcalibur treatment on XBLA.

All of these games have me so excited for the rest of the year!

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
peppermints said:
Even better would be a Soulcalibur treatment on XBLA.

All of these games have me so excited for the rest of the year!

Soul Calibur is already coming for Xbox Live Arcade.

kiUNiT

kbear said:
They gave me that tag a while back, before I got a 360 a couple weeks ago. I dunno what to say, I love this thing. Sure there are faults (the noise, lack of wifi, anxiety about RROD, big power brick) but as a pure gaming system, I've never had more fun. Xbox Live and the dashboard with in-game messaging, cross-game invites, global chat, joining a friend's game in progress, etc... their whole interface is just awesome and very well implemented. XBLA is excellent as well... one game every week and it always has a demo which is nice.
I like to see another multi console owner born, but Keep posting like this and your old friends will be asking for your eye patch back.:lol

Kobold said:
Soul Calibur is already coming for Xbox Live Arcade.

Right, I know that. I was saying how it would be great if they gave Banjo Kazooie and Tooie what they are doing with Soulcalibur. My apologies for being unclear.

kbear said:
They gave me that tag a while back, before I got a 360 a couple weeks ago. I dunno what to say, I love this thing. Sure there are faults (the noise, lack of wifi, anxiety about RROD, big power brick) but as a pure gaming system, I've never had more fun. Xbox Live and the dashboard with in-game messaging, cross-game invites, global chat, joining a friend's game in progress, etc... their whole interface is just awesome and very well implemented. XBLA is excellent as well... one game every week and it always has a demo which is nice.

Good man, should be more of this.
Good games are good games.

Kobold

peppermints said:
Right, I know that. I was saying how it would be great if they gave Banjo Kazooie and Tooie what they are doing with Soulcalibur. My apologies for being unclear.
Ah! That would be sweet indeed. :D

Tristam

ITT do we talk about Banjo?

Well, to be honest, any conceptual shift would be good for Banjo; it was a collect-a-thon, pure and simple. Charming, maybe, but still a collect-a-thon, and that shit got downright boring. Banjo 3 sounds like it will feature even more collecting, but there's a monumental difference: collecting is now a means to an end rather than an end in itself; that end is to build awesome Rube Goldberg devices/vehicles or whatever. I can't remember if it was this thread, or even this forum, but someone likened it to video game Legos,* which was enough to pique my interest. Can't say I like the modified character designs at all (Banjo and friends are HIDEOS), but the gameplay sounds very interesting. Customizing vehicles is nothing new (whether it is among platformers I cannot recall), but depending on its application it may live up to Rare's promise that the gameplay will be totally unique.

Suffice to say I'm interested in Banjo 3 -- I certainly wouldn't have been if it had merely been Banjo HD.

*I guess that is where the LBP comparisons come in. In both it remains to be seen whether the gameplay itself really does match or exceed the joys of creation -- contrary to some claims, these games are NOT only limited by the imaginations of the players. They still adhere to a huge number of rules that cannot be customized.

Jtyettis said:
Well, I have said it for the longest time now, and I'll say it again now, the 360 will have a showing on par or better than 08. That has been my opinion for a good while now even though the doubters were a plenty. Now that MS has shown a few cards people have begun to see the light. I do hope we get at least one nice suprise tomorrow. I'm sure we will. :D
Agreed. What appears to be two perfect years in a row.

Com'on 2009 and Alan Wake. I never would have thought MS would take this business as seriously as they have.

May as well call it now: Rare is the developer of 2008. :bow

tak

duckroll said:
NO! ITT we talk about the injustice that crappy Rare games I don't care about are leaked so early, but NINJA BLADE is not! :(

T_T
It's strange that we have seen a lot of leaked information and screenshoots for Fable and the two Rare games, but Ninja Blade has been completely absent from the picture.

wonderkins said:
Agreed. What appears to be two perfect years in a row.

Com'on 2009 and Alan Wake. I never would have thought MS would take this business as seriously as they have.

May as well call it now: Rare is the developer of 2008. :bow

And 2009 seems like it'll be good as well. Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Max Payne 3, another Rare game, maybe Bungies next game, Mass Effect 2, Biowares other project, and more.

Of course a lot of the above was speculation, but it seems like MS has a really good thing going here in terms of really having a quality timeline out and actually sticking to it. The rotation is honestly unbelievable and at this rate I may never want the next consoles to hit for a good while.

Tristam

duckroll said:
NO! ITT we talk about the injustice that crappy Rare games I don't care about are leaked so early, but NINJA BLADE is not! :(

T_T

Only read page one, but I see speculation that Ninja Blade is a children's title or possibly a MS wagglewand competitor with Wii's Ninja Reflex (LOL). If you think other Rare games are crappy, what do we say about that one?

Oh, I did read more about Banjo. Nexu's post is very promising, although the whole concept sounds much less interesting for competitive multiplayer than it does for single player. I see the Lego comparison and feel the hype rising; I see the Diddy Kong Racing comparison and it comes crashing down. Positive analogies only, gents.

tak

Dark FaZe said:
And 2009 seems like it'll be good as well. Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Max Payne 3, another Rare game, maybe Bungies next game, Mass Effect 2, Biowares other project, and more.

Of course a lot of the above was speculation, but it seems like MS has a really good thing going here in terms of really having a quality timeline out and actually sticking to it. The rotation is honestly unbelievable and at this rate I may never want the next consoles to hit for a good while.
I think Halo Wars is 2008.

tak

Black_Ice said:
Wait, what time today is this event taking place, and for how long?

Is (new) Gears 2 stuff being shown?
I would be surprised if we saw any new gears information from the event. I think the next time we'll hear about the game we'll be E3.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Vinterbird how good did the spell effects look visually? As impressive as the rest of the game visually? How was it running performance wise this time around compared to the first time we saw gameplay footage?

Visually the effects looked pretty. The lightning effect was cool, and everything around turns a bit black&white when you load up a powerfull spell, so it looks pretty cool.

Coverly said:
Vinterbird, on the local co-op for Fable 2, did you mean system link or split screen?

Also, how's the framerate at this point? turning left or right gives me a headache in ME and GTA4, because everything is so shaky.

Local coop is on the same screen at the same time. Kinda like the Lego Star Wars game. You can't move outside of the cameras view, and you have to move together.

Framerate was absolute crap. But to be honest, this was a true build from the game. The same one QA and everybody was playing. No smoke and mirrors like GDC and stuff like that. This was the true build that they were working on, so the framerate was shit, a lot of bugs, a pink dog and a bunch of bugs.

But framerate is always the last thing to be fixed, so I won't judge that yet.

fse

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
you think if VP and banjo 3 are commercial success that MS will expand rare and make more studios within them?

I think rare will probably do what they do. They have lots of creative freedom.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I'm a bit concerned about Banjo though: if Nexus's information holds true, I'm afraid the series has become a racing game, instead of a platformer.

Am I reading this correctly? Is Banjo 3 still a platformer or has it completely shifted its course of direction?

Coverly

Vinterbird said:
Local coop is on the same screen at the same time. Kinda like the Lego Star Wars game. You can't move outside of the cameras view, and you have to move together.

But framerate is always the last thing to be fixed, so I won't judge that yet.

thanks for the info. Does that mean you can go through and beat the entire game in local co-op?

as for the framerate, hope it gets smoothened out before release.

Kobold

Coverly said:
thanks for the info. Does that mean you can go through and beat the entire game in local co-op?

as for the framerate, hope it gets smoothened out before release.
There is a demovideo of this co-op mode around somewhere. Look in previous threads.

Also, the co-op player sidekick can import his or her own character from his or her own game om MU and screw up the game of the other player I believe, like killing your husband/wife, or important characters. I don't know if that will be in final, but in that demo I saw you could...

Also you could say what split in XP and money you would have between the sidekick and main character in co-op, so you can actually say 'I'll help you for 60/40 split in cash'

dirtmonkey37 said:
I'm a bit concerned about Banjo though: if Nexus's information holds true, I'm afraid the series has become a racing game, instead of a platformer.

Am I reading this correctly? Is Banjo 3 still a platformer or has it completely shifted its course of direction?

Banjo is still a platformer through and through, but with additions to it's gameplay that give it more of a unique, not your average platformer, feeling.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Banjo is still a platformer through and through, but with additions to it's gameplay that give it more of a unique, not your average platformer, feeling.
Don't most platformers these days have unique gameplay features so as not to be your average platformer?

f_elz said:
I think rare will probably do what they do. They have lots of creative freedom.

i dont mean like that i mean adding a new team(s) so they can work on more projects at once since MS doesnt have many internal studios left.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
CowboyAstronaut said:

I'm hoping for a Ratchet and Clank 3 gameplay ratio: 70% action vs. 30% platforming....except I would prefer 70% platforming vs. 30% racing.

It's probably going to be a vehicle-based game with light, intermittent platforming. Oh well... Still buying on the first day of its November release.

Talladega Knight said:
Don't most platformers these days have unique gameplay features so as not to be your average platformer?

Pretty much, but if this building vehicle mechanic is as good as claimed (like a Banjo spore, but with vehicles is the impression I'm getting from the stuff I've read?) then it could end up being pretty damn cool.

I honestly don't even think there is any racing involved in the singleplayer at least not much of it I think. I think the vehicles are purely there to add a nice twist to how you traverse the world and get things done.

witness

CowboyAstronaut said:

Sounds like a PR line from every platformer the last 8 years :lol

witness said:
Sounds like a PR line from every platformer the last 8 years :lol

Hey I'm just basically repeating what Rare is basically saying about the game. They don't want it to be just a high res banjo right? They want to make it different right. It may be my own way of describing it, but the source is still rare :D

Coverly

Kobold said:
There is a demovideo of this co-op mode around somewhere. Look in previous threads.

Also, the co-op player sidekick can import his or her own character from his or her own game om MU and screw up the game of the other player I believe, like killing your husband/wife, or important characters. I don't know if that will be in final, but in that demo I saw you could...

Also you could say what split in XP and money you would have between the sidekick and main character in co-op, so you can actually say 'I'll help you for 60/40 split in cash'

I think i saw the co op demonstration you're talking about, but i thought it was an invite over live, not someone on the same 360.

If it's the same screen on 1 360 that would be awesome, in these types of games i really prefer sharing the screen and seeing things on a bigger scale than having things split in half.

soco

from what people have described of banjo, i'm not sure why people keep wanting to see it as a racer or anything else. are you guys just trying to avoid disappointment by vastly lowering expectations?

i can't think of anything more platformer than collecting things that essentially enable other things. you do that in all of the mario games whether you're getting a bee power up suit or a fire flower. it's been described how you can build devices that enable you to do things like collect all of those coconuts in a barrel. wtf does it matter if it happens to be a vehicle or a jetpack or a dinosaur that eats things?

i've not played the game and obviously can't speak on the balance of what's going on, but i can't imagine them doing a 70% racing game and 30% platforming and just using the banjo name and like the entire original team.

Oliver.S

I honestly don't even think there is any racing involved in the singleplayer at least not much of it I think. I think the vehicles are purely there to add a nice twist to how you traverse the world and get things done.
Exactly. For example:
Vehicle designs can play a large role in missions. We saw one where you had to collect coconuts from a field and got a small truck that could suck them up. Unfortunately you couldn't fit all the coconuts in the truck and had to back and deliver them in a large barrel. We were then shown how you could create a helicopter with a hook, that could pick up this large barrel, fly to the coconut field and fly low to scoop the coconuts in the barrel.

Brashnir

dirtmonkey37 said:
I'm hoping for a Ratchet and Clank 3 gameplay ratio: 70% action vs. 30% platforming....except I would prefer 70% platforming vs. 30% racing.

It's probably going to be a vehicle-based game with light, intermittent platforming. Oh well... Still buying on the first day of its November release.

I'm hoping some of the vehicle sections are a form of platforming in their own right. Hitting jumps in cars to land on the next platform, or perhaps helicopters have limited range, requiring you to hop from place to place to get through an area, etc. Maybe by the end game, you'll have vehicles that have capabilities that allow you to skip over prior areas easily, like a helicopter engine that can run non-stop, or a plane that can just fly over whole worlds, or a boat that can traverse a lake full of lilypad platforms that previously had to be hopped through.

If the vehicles are implemented well, they could add all sorts of new platforming sections, rather than removing them.

fse

Talladega Knight said:
I think that rope around their necks is getting tighter and tighter though as the years go on. That creative freedom needs to be earned.

:( but.... VP2!

Orodreth

sillymonkey321 said:
People with Viva 2 news....any word on whether or not you'll have a much larger garden to populate? The item/pinata constraints in the first game were brutal.

I already asked that too. Specially concerned about the items/pinata garden limitation.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
And in regards to Viva Pinata, I hope they address the pinatas-cannot-reproduce bug that ruined gamers' saved gardens (thankfully, it only affected one of my gardens).

Viva Pinata 2 looks fantastic. The only thing I'm skeptical about is BK3 -- I just hope they don't rely too heavily on the vehicles to drive the gameplay of this once-traditional platformer. I'll even go so far as to say that tradition doesn't matter to me. Innovations or not, as long as the game is still primarily a platformer, I will be pleased. :D

Pistolero

My Banjo sounds SOOOOOOOO GOOD. Bow to RARE !
But, to those who've seen it, how is the game technically ? I've become such a graphics/animation whore and the studio pedigree speaks for itself. lease ?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
A 4 wheel vehicle turning into a motorcycle, going off a cliff, and then turning into a hang glider, presumably to "platform" and get to an otherwise unreachable area?

That sounds WAY cooler than Banjo 64 HD. Some of you are weird.

RagnarokX

Timedog said:
A 4 wheel vehicle turning into a motorcycle, going off a cliff, and then turning into a hang glider, presumably to "platform" and get to an otherwise unreachable area?

That sounds WAY cooler than Banjo 64 HD. Some of you are weird.
Well, vehicles have had a history of making some games bad. It's a legitimate concern. Don't want it to end up being this:
20p5209.jpg

Kobold

Coverly said:
I think i saw the co op demonstration you're talking about, but i thought it was an invite over live, not someone on the same 360.

If it's the same screen on 1 360 that would be awesome, in these types of games i really prefer sharing the screen and seeing things on a bigger scale than having things split in half.

That was the 'same screen on one 360' (hotseat) demo! They did not announce any co-op over live yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom