• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto V screens and interview

I hope they don't let you change Trevor into a suit or anything, that would suck the fun out of everything. I'm hoping he gets increasingly dirty as the game goes on, like Danny DeVito every season of Always Sunny.

The buildings look great compared to IV.

Please bring back hogtieing from RDR.

Have they had an FIB building in a game before? Hope it's one of the places you can enter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's a Dan Houser story, so
half the cast is made up of despicable human shit that will screw you.

The final mission is a Mexican stand off. You have to pick which character you use, he'll be the only character post-game.

oh yeah, Bullet in the Head -ending!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099426/combined
BITH%2Bstand%2Boff.bmp

Fjordson

Love the daytime (or dusk?) lighting.

Feels like California and is a nice change of pace from the somewhat dreary vibe of Liberty City.

Fo sho, but it's an issue I have with basically every game running on Rockstar's current generation engine. Red Dead Redemption, GTAIV PC, Max Payne 3 PC, etc. Something about the normal mapping and the way lighting/shadows are cast makes, to me, everything look like it was sculpted out of clay. Even when the games are maxed out and quite impressive on PC, like Max Payne 3.

This looks on par. And it's not really a console thing, so much as Rockstar's aesthetics. The lighting to me looks weirdly murky and gross, and everything is lit in a strangely drab, unattractive way. Not gritty, just really bland and gross.

It's an issue I've never had with Rockstar until this generation though. Maybe it's a product of their current generation engine optimisation and artistic choices that will fade out with superior power next generation.

Ah I see your point now. I never really noticed it in the past, imagine that. I guess I am OK with it - it is as you said a Rockstar signature look this gen.

SgtCobra

The game is still in development so I only expect the graphics to get better. But if those graphics on the screenshots mean that the framerate isn't like GTA IV then it's okay with me.

Why are those links in German? Or rather, how do I translate them :p
It's Dutch.
Use Google translate or something?

GlamFM

Banned
Thanks to Liltuner from the GTAForums:

InsideGamer.nl Translation

GTA 5 Preview
Article | November 12, 2012 - Translation by Liltuner

I hate proverbs which contain the words 'door', 'home' and 'fall', so Grand Theft Auto V has three main characters that you are playing instead of one. So, we had that fixed.

"Has GTA a number after his name, then you can assume that we are really doing something spectacular with the series," Told a Rockstar employee me once. Fans of Vice City and San Andreas that might dare to dispute, but the fact remains that those games entirely in the footsteps of Grand Theft Auto III occurred.
That game introduced the genre of the large, open world in full 3D. It was Grand Theft Auto IV that same world, or a more serious and realistic narrative, presented in high definition, which is the figure answered for the title. And Grand Theft Auto V gives for the first time in the series three main characters to play. Enough food for a V so I thought, right?

Trevor, Michael and Franklin

On a thick leather sofa in New York I stare at one of the filmmakers of Rockstar. A day earlier, I sat at breakfast even telling (though I caught some rumors that there's really something quite new in the game ") multiple playable characters expected.
I was on a story over several years in different periods and that we hoped for the first time in the series be a female lead could get, or someone who just are not on the wrong side of the law.

These last three ideas seem not yet to come, but at numero uno I was quite spot-on. But the Rockstar-man beside me on the couch just grins at me, as if I was not so right when I think. Minutes later I was actually kind of show next sitting. This is not 'just' a game which consists of three different storylines. And this is not 'just' a game with three different characters.

But let us first get acquainted with the three men (Rockstar chose again not for a woman because the three profiles are simply better lent to men, moreover, they make no distinction between man, woman, white or black, a character fills itself in response of the script).

First there is Michael. His career as a bank robber, he has left behind in favor of a lucrative witness protection program. Wife and children there too perfectly normal life, it delivers dad namely a huge villa in Rockford Hills and so is their bed spread.

Character number 2 is Trevor, not a bad fella, beyond the fact that he is mentally just as fine as the average serial killer in women's clothes, or a sincere Justin Bieber lover. (Sorry, I definately LOL'ed and laughed about that)

But Trevor is smarter than that. Or at least, that he once was when he and Michael's life led top criminal. Or more prior to this, during his time as a military pilot. Mr. So has a nice skillset in his pocket, but you would not say if you see him in his "doubt to" vomit smelling trailer in Blaine Country.
Trevor is an unshaven lubrication pipe pur sang that, and I've seen it myself or I would not say, not even wipe his ass after he has sh*t on the toilet.
If you see him you'd rather be surprised about the fact that he's still pervades.

Finally there is Franklin.

By far the youngest of the fresh gang that leads you through the vicissitudes of GTA V.

Franklin is working hard on the road as a professional fraudster, steals expensive cars as a profession and dresses, walks and talks like a confident womanizer, including that 'quiet mysterious' where the mean 50 Shades of Grey-reader immediately melts for.
Anyway, three crook men setting off in a world in a half hour of more vibrant impression than any other game in this genre ever made.

This is apparently possible, so soon impressed. And who is desperate for the make of three fatties, unfortunately, partly because of the technical press that so many different animations entail is not (as in San Andreas) possible to keep you busy for example the diet or training of the three men.

Watch 40%, 60% derived, 100% silent

Sitting on Rockstars bench for one and a half hours, I listened to innovative three characters who are not of the series (right).
How they let missions feel better with ability to stow action in it, because you can continuously switch between the characters together on mission and how there is now much less interpretation of a duller variant (also true).
How big GTA V is(It's huge, because five times larger than the world of Red Dead Redemption and that includes a large part under water to explore) and how many optional activities are not elaborated in the game to find (Are not seen, but I believe the friendly gentleman who presented on his blue eyes that yoga and golf are fantastic). But I listen to 40% to the stories of Rockstar. The other 60% of my thoughts are in fact already in Los Santos, Rockstar's version of LA.

The sight of this world is more impressive than any gameplay element that The developers can throw in our way.
Franklin who walks at a busy Santa Maria Beach between the "O-so-sportive" guys, Michael, who from his villa overlooks a ridiculously large part of the city, Trevor with his rotten pickup, driving kilometers from Mount Chilliad, seeing the colossus in the distance.
And then the presenter again, that I, with 40% of my brains hear you say, "Oh, there you can also go and it's not the end of the map , maybe it three quarters of the folder or something."
My mouth falls open... You'll see something and believe in trailers, but at the time the game is played in front of you and your own experience how much freedom there is, it really lives.
Ridiculously unfair. For the competition this generation still to come then, of course. For gamers - and especially those who are the freedom and openness of this series at heart - this is a wet dream made up of ones and zeros.

You can not imagine (even though I can imagine that you, and itching in your claws now you think you can imagine) how much you want to dive into this world as someone is a feet away from you and plays GTA V .
Simply walk around on the pavement must have a heavenly feeling. Totally frustrating as Franklin walks along an armored van. "Oh yes, you can overtake if you want or chase and underrun. It's one of the many optional things you can do. "Dude!!! Do it! I want it! But no, everything is neat because Rockstar channeled something much more important to us show today. Okay, here we go.
"But may I have the game or take home as I promise I now watch all your gameplay innovations?" () "Uh ... no. Believe me, I would like nothing more than that the game was done now so I'm able to give it to dyou. But we are still busy. "Sigh, okay proceed.

Which of the three

The disappointment over the fact that I can't take the game with me(hey, a guy can dream, right?) Disappears almost faster than he was when it appears that the introduction of three characters is indeed only half the story.
In a mission so crazy that we immediately rethink the exuberant work of The Ballad of Gay Tony, we get into a helicopter, rappelling us of a building, we get a sniper rifle, and shoot a few other helicopters down and fly quickly back to the precise orchestrated soundtrack of GTA V as a travel companion.

The reason I say that, because there, for the first time in the history of the series, there is an accompanying soundtrack.
And because it's a pack of atmosphere entails, makes me wonder why Mr developers have waited so long with this step.

Anyway, those three characters so, there lies the crux of the renewal.
Not even the fact that there are three, or the fact that at every free moment in real time in the lives of the main characters is avoided (so for example you unexpectedly can fall to Michael that is slightly moth with his wife or is chilling by the pool).
No, changing even during the missions, that's the thing that GTA V makes more than its predecessors.

You just read that there was shot with a sniper rifle, that there was abseiling and helicopter flying?
Well, that's because you as a player switch during missions quickly between the three characters (or two, if one story character technically just not participate).
Sometimes forced, often voluntary, but always to ensure that you get the best from the action that is currently taking place. An example: while Michael during abseiling smashes through the window, Franklin is like a dead sparrow waiting with his sniper rifle at the right time. Three guesses what role you prefer to perform.
By the way, speaking about roles, even with three characters simultaneously in a mission, this story has a single matter how much you like a co-op campaign had seen.

Wants. The. Games.

I hate proverbs which words appear as 'see', 'is' and 'believe', so I can not use that.
Well I say I am silent from what I saw. Firstly, because that which we saw in a half hour passed, was bizarre impressive.
The design and absurdity of that one mission, the ability to on the fly change of character, along the impact the world has on the current generation consoles knows it.
On the other hand my enthusiasm only increased tenfold by the knowledge that this is a Rockstar game and a Grand Theft Auto game.

Who played Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 knows that first a degree of certainty entails.
Certainty about the story that certainly any form of competition back to whining makes certainty about the dialogues, the characters, the madcap adventures you as a player himself and creates thousands playful references to real-life issues.

This second aspect, the fact that this is a Grand Theft Auto game, should say enough for anyone who ever played a part in perhaps the best (but at least "one of the best") series in history of games. It's okay. Or as I said in my very thin, personal proverbs-where-I-no-see-problems-with-you- booklet are: sometimes all gold that glitters.

I hope you guys can read it correctly!

Hindle

Banned
I think they've confirmed it's the most diverse instead of settings. Like California has deserts, snowed mountains, everything so I'm thinking this will have the same.

UrbanRats

- Underwater world (and underwater caves) and diving equipment confirmed
- Houser said that missions similar to Taxi, Ambulance and Vigilante ones will be back but "probably not identical to the ones in previous GTA cause they wouldn't fit in the 3 protagonists personalities, but the 3 protagonists will have odd jobs to do".
- About the 3 protagonists skills: Trevor will be the skilled helicopter pilot, Franklyn the skilled driver and sniper, Micheal the "smooth operator", skilled and versatile.
- Franklin is looking for a mentor and he finds one in Mike after they meet during one of Franklin repo man jobs.
- Trevor is inspired in the typical GTA player that only roams around the game creating havoc, death and destruction.
- According to Houser missions types will vary among "big and small events , explosive, infiltration, super spectacular, family, invasion, hostage recovery, heists and robberies. Plus classic GTA missions but updated and improved."
- Cover mechanics have been greatly improved and cover will be very important in the gameplay.
- About the economy Houser says: "you will be able to spend money to buy interesting and fun things… expensive toys. We are still working on the economy but it will be a strong element in the game and players will be eager to make money to spend money. Something along the lines of — I went through all of this to make all this money and now I'm going to spend it on this crazy item."
- Dynamic music during missions
- No co-op in single player
- Multiplayer has been developed by a separate team and it will has been developed as something as important and full of content as SP.
- COOP confirmed in MP

Source: GTAV.net

Also, whole map open from the start: michael has early access to luxury sports cars (being rich, in his garage) and Trevor to helicopters, apperntly being an ex pilot.

From GTAForums

New facts from gamesaktuell.de

-the map is 100% accessible from the beginning on
-from the start on Michael has a luxury car parked in his garange / trevor has access to a helicopter
-the story builds around 5 or 6 big robberies
-in many missions the three protagonists are working together
-in some missions you only have 2 or you are on your own
-the game decides which character you are controlling during a mission unless
-the character-switch-icon is saying you can switch, then you can play whoever you want
-the graphics shown on the screenshots are actually looking like that in the real game too
-Rockstar pushes the consoles to their limits
-some flickering and juddering still occur but they want to fix that
-radio stations feature weather repots and other news
-multiplayer won't have coop story missions but they might implement some sort of coop style missions

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I am really excited that the odd jobs and smaller scale missions are still around, even though the "do this, do that" aspect of GTA 4 received a lot of hate.

Not happy about lack of RPG elements though. As minor as they were in SA, at least it was some level of customization.

Salsa

crazy redneck dude is easily my favorite. I can already tell he's gonna be memorable. Based on looks alone he looks like such a stronger personality when compared to the other two

maybe too much of a lynch vibe tho

I'll kind of miss having to unlock some of the map. I remember wasting a ton of time in VCS trying to park a truck in the perfect spot so I could climb onto the bridge and run to the other side of the city.

jett

D-Member
I really dig the look of the lighting. However, I really did not like GTA4's controls at all, on-foot and diving controls, I hope they've altered those.

Majine

Banned
You guys think San Fierro and Las Venturas will appear sometime during this, maybe as expansions? God I hope so.

Top Bottom