• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

SinSilla

So they basically managed to combine the very best aspects of all their previous games and then made them even better and on top of that give us new and innovative features to enjoy?

OMG OMG OMG

Garjon

5BlJccm.png

Why do I get a feeling of deja vu? Weren't the pedestrians supposed to be able to call the police in every GTA since VC, along with many other touted features that never make the cut.

And the inclusion of shite like table tennis and golf is a turn off too. Ah well, hopefully they make do with the tightened controls at least. They really need to give us the option to choose who we do missions for as well. The way you always have to do missions for no reason for some guy you hate is annoying.

Pachimari

I wonder how the melee combat will be? Why haven't they said anything about that aspect yet. =/

Should I pick up GTA IV? I'm hyped for V lol.

20130502150729-gta001.jpg

Paparazzi? What the..

Maybe he has to get away from them for the lady.

Yup.

Passing a tattoo parlor (which you can enter if you wish), Michael notices a woman hiding behind a bus in a nearby alley. The woman is Lacy Jonas, a celebrity who calls herself the voice of a generation., This isn just one of the several dynamic missions that may pop up on your map when walking through a neighborhood. Why is she in the alley? Paparazzi have staked out her car (which is hilariously called a Benefactor Surano). Michael nonchalantly walks up to the vehicle, smarts off to the cameramen, and peels away to pick up Lacy.

The paparazzi don't give up that easily. As Michael takes off in the sportscar, they give chase in a van. Lacy angrily voices her reservations about being photographed right now because she feels fat (she's not). When Michael asks what she did to generate so much attention, she replies, "I'm really famous. I didn't do anything!" Michael eventually shakes their pursuers and heads up to the safety of Vinewood hills.

antitrop

The fact that this comes out during my first month in college is depressing. Won't be able to play until at least Thanksgiving.

:(

GTA IV came out just two weeks before my second deployment to Iraq started, I've never powered through a game so hard. No way was I waiting until 2009 to play it.

I like what I'm reading so far. All signs point to being able to co-op the campaign. My only concern is that with all Rockstar games, the price of variety comes at the expense of complexity. I get the feeling that writers are wrong to assume that there's multiple ways of attacking a given heist mission.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
From everything I've seen and heard this sounds like the most content in any game ever. I can't even imagine how much time it'll take to see and do everything.

I don't understand how it's even possible, but if there's one team I trust to pull it off, it's Rockstar.

I only care about two things, the mechanics and the mission design. Seems like the former had been addressed so it will come down to the missions themselves.

All this extra stuff is only a bonus for me.

Some of these shots have to be bullshots if they are current gen.

In the CVG video that state it looks exactly like what we've seen in screenshots.

Why do I get a feeling of deja vu? Weren't the pedestrians supposed to be able to call the police in every GTA since VC, along with many other touted features that never make the cut.

You can see a pedestrian in one of the screenshots taking a picture of Trevor on his phone.

And the inclusion of shite like table tennis and golf is a turn off too.

Not if its anything like Rockstar Table Tennis. That game was great fun.

Elixist

wtf happened with GTA4 ? who knows, at least this is sounding like a return to form and then some. I hope they can keep the framerate close to 30 when driving fast, probably not, we'll see.

dex3108

This is rear moment when journalists have mentioned graphic in preview of really big AAA game.

Kotaku
As for looks, I'm honestly not sure what to make of the V's graphics. I never played a Grand Theft Auto for graphics, but I appreciated how good GTA IV looked in its day. I popped that game into my Xbox 360 again on Wednesday morning. It doesn't look as good as I remembered it. The GTA V I saw running on PS3 hardware at Rockstar looked better. That GTA V, though, didn't look as good to me as the one we see in the trailers.

I suggested to the Rockstar reps I was talking to that their trailers are captured off of a PC, off of something that's pumping out better graphics. The version I was watching them play might be an older build, they said, but, no, the trailers are captured from PS3/360-standard machinery.

I asked them this again, hours later, to be sure.

Yes, they said. The trailers are, as always, running in the game's graphics engine, mixing gameplay and cutscenes, and—their phrase, not mine—it's current-gen footage. Maybe what they capture for trailers is just staged well. I don't know. Or maybe the graphics will look better and better as the game gets closer to release. GTA V is by no means ugly. It looks quite nice. But what I saw in trailers never looked current-gen to me. What I saw played in front of me did.

I wish Rockstar would say they're making a next-gen version or a PC version, but the company line is that they have no plans to do so. Take that for what you will. I'd still like a GTA V that looks as sharp as the game does in its trailers.

IGN
It’s easy to forgive older GTA games for their occasional technical shortcomings based solely on their ambitious nature, and it’s worth noting that Grand Theft Auto V is still a solid six months away from being released, so additional polish will no doubt be applied. But GTA V does currently have GTA IV’s texture pop-in issues, and graphically, it’s unimpressive. It looks like an enhanced version of Grand Theft Auto IV with an extra sheen added, but it also doesn’t stand up to its far more graphically-impressive contemporaries. It doesn’t look five-plus years newer than the game that came before it. The good news is that no one plays GTA for its aesthetics, but it’s nonetheless worth noting that the game looks decidedly dated this late in Xbox 360’s and PlayStation 3’s lifecycle.

But gameplay will be fantastic and rich and that is most important part :D

Aguirre

And the inclusion of shite like table tennis and golf is a turn off too. Ah well, hopefully they make do with the tightened controls at least. They really need to give us the option to choose who we do missions for as well. The way you always have to do missions for no reason for some guy you hate is annoying.
Lol what. Activities which you won't be forced to play is a turn off to you?? Crazy

dorkimoe

sounds awesome, but im still not looking forward to the 3 characters... i hate having to switch around..just wanna play 1 person

UrbanRats

"You choose a crew from more than just the 3 characters like hackers, lock pickers, etc. Their skills get boosted if they live onto the next mission."

Oh i'm gonna go Joker on their asses.
I don't split the booty.

Haha, in that Revision 3 segment Sessler keeps trying to talk about the larger themes and mythologies Rockstar is playing with, and the girl is like, "Totally! You can go underwater!"

Anth0ny

This all sounds good, but...

Please tell me they fixed the shitty driving controls from GTA IV. I'm not even asking for a return to VC/SA controls, just... better than IV.

The EDGE preview has me excited about the multiple characters having their own 'lives' away from player control - but I'm equally cautious about how this will really work.

Part of the appeal for open world games is immersion into the world, and it might be a bit jarring to switch characters to find them engaged in a gunfight or something drastically away from the player's mindset.

Lakitu

st5fu
When Michael pulls out his smartphone to take a picture of the Space Ranger, the actor strikes a pose for him. Whenever you take a picture in Los Santos, you can share it with friends via the Rockstar Social Club.

Pretty cool :)

Top Bottom