• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Announcing the next gen version now would cut into the double dipping.

Yeah, it's the same plan as Sony has for GT6. Get the cash from the current gen install bases then release and enhanced port down the line with some extra content and get people to buy it again. I think GTA and GT are two of the only franchises that could get away with it.

Fjordson

Yeah, I don't think a next gen version is ruled out. R* simply has no reason to announce anything other than the current gen versions at the moment. Maybe they announce them a little after release if V bombs, but I'd be surprised if that happens. Will probably wait until early 2014 to coincide with the PC release.

It makes no business sense whatsoever to talk about the PC version, let alone the next-gen version in any capacity.

I think late 2014 for PC at the earliest.

UrbanRats

Yeah as much as i fear it, i can't see them not milking a game like GTAV; just release it on ps360 and be done with it? Nah.
Like Bucket said, it would make no sense to reduce double dippers' sales, talking about PC/Next Gen versions now, when they can do that in 2014.

Yeah as much as i fear it, i can't see them not milking a game like GTAV; just release it on ps360 and be done with it? Nah.
Like Bucket said, it would make no sense to reduce double dippers' sales, talking about PC/Next Gen versions now, when they can do that in 2014.

This. We all know its coming to PC, Next Gen in 2014.

It is amazing the scope and scale of GTAV is able to acheive on current Gen. Are the trailers/screenshots PC?

Fjordson

This. We all know its coming to PC, Next Gen in 2014.

It is amazing the scope and scale of GTAV is able to acheive on current Gen. Are the trailers/screenshots PC?
All from PS3/360 according to R*. And the demo the press saw earlier this month (or was it late last month?) was on PS3.

zakislam

2ea2O.jpg

#GTAV’s real-time weather effects will create furious storms, rough ocean waves and rain forming puddles in mud.

https://twitter.com/GameStopUK/statuses/339696769262841856

RayMaker

Banned
Not necessarily. Maybe Sony or MS have it as an announcement on stage.

Which ever next gen console has this i will be getting, because i have to sell my 360 + ps3 to get a next gen console.

All GTA's suffer from framerate and aliasing issues, the next gen version must be able to have GTA5 smooth and jaggie free.

RayMaker

Banned
Absolutely not.

Talk about the next gen Version will start once they are done with DLC.

Late 2014 my guess.

Meh, that would be unacceptable, Would it really take that much tinkering to get GTA5 on next gen consoles!

I dont think it would be because they already have the RAGE engine working on PC'S and the X1 + PS4 are basically PC's So couldn't they just alter the PC code and slap it on the X1 and PS4?

I'am tired of the sub HD ,jaggies etc of this gen R* given me a version for next gen.

If they are delaying it just so ppl double dip thats more anti consumer that MS + sonys DRM shenanigans.

Hopefully sony or MS will have the decency and money to fund and port a next gen version. Especially that neither are offering BC

GlamFM

Banned
Meh, that would be unacceptable, Would it really take that much tinkering to get GTA5 on next gen consoles!

I dont think it would be because they already have the RAGE engine working on PC'S and the X1 + PS4 are basically PC's So couldn't they just alter the PC code and slap it on the X1 and PS4?

I'am tired of the sub HD ,jaggies etc of this gen R* given me a version for next gen.

If they are delaying it just so ppl double dip thats more anti consumer that MS + sonys DRM shenanigans.

Hopefully sony or MS will have the decency and money to fund and port a next gen version. Especially that neither are offering BC

"Anti consumer" is probably my most hated phrase on this board right now.

Tried to do a search and couldn't find anything. Cannot start a new thread so wanted to post in this one.

Did anyone else sign up to be a part of The Epsilon Program that Rockstar had on their site? They asked for your information about social networking. I just received an email saying that my application to attend a Los Santos Enlightenment Seminar is presently being considered. Anyone else receive that?

Here is a link to the site for it. The application period has expired but it explains it better.

http://www.epsilonprogram.com/

Fjordson

No one is saying it would be difficult. It's simply that they've been working on the current gen ones since 2007. And they'll sell a lot. Why bother delaying the current gen development even a single minute for the others if they don't have to? R* is in the business of making money and the PS3/360 are going to make them the most money.

In a perfect world, we'd get all versions (current gen, next gen, and PC) on day one so literally everyone could enjoy it on their platform of choice, but them's the breaks I guess. Though as far as I know we don't have a release date for PS4 or Xbone and this is launching September 17th. So it definitely makes no sense to delay the current gen versions for new consoles with zero userbase.

If you don't want to buy it twice then just wait for the PC/other versions.

Marleyman

Banned
Tried to do a search and couldn't find anything. Cannot start a new thread so wanted to post in this one.

Did anyone else sign up to be a part of The Epsilon Program that Rockstar had on their site? They asked for your information about social networking. I just received an email saying that my application to attend a Los Santos Enlightenment Seminar is presently being considered. Anyone else receive that?

Here is a link to the site for it. The application period has expired but it explains it better.

http://www.epsilonprogram.com/

Yeah, I got the same email yesterday.

You get to be an NPC? Damn, why did I ignore that. Didn't really read up on it and thus didn't even apply. Oh well.

It will probably be a model of you who is in the cult. Instead of them just puting in random people they will use a few real people to make NPCs out of.

Quite a genius way to get hype for a game that doesn't need any more hype. "I'm in this game!! Look!"

Marleyman

Banned
Anyone read any reports about Niko, amongst other older charactes from previous GTA's, being a playable character in MP for those that get the collectors edition?

Sethos

Banned
weather effects have improved so dramatically over the course of the gen. GTAIV was nice... RDR was gorgeous.. Max Payne 3 and Sleeping Dogs are just incredible. Can't wait for GTAV.

RDR Weather annihilates all the weathers you just mentioned, plus it has buckets of atmosphere. Something neither Sleeping Dogs or MP3 has.

Zep

Banned
RDR Weather annihilates all the weathers you just mentioned, plus it has buckets of atmosphere. Something neither Sleeping Dogs or MP3 has.

Yea...OK pal. You definitely have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Max Payne 3's atmosphere. Sleeping dogs atmosphere was lacking though, I agree.

Sethos

Banned
You definitely have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Max Payne 3's atmosphere. .

So I completed it twice, how can I have no idea? Do you have some insider trading tips? Because I think we have a fundamentally different view on 'atmosphere'.

Zep

Banned
Do you have some insider trading tips?

Yea, here's one.

You kinda suck at identifying atmosphere if you think MP3 has none.

If you can play through MP3 twice and go through levels like the favela, the club and the docks...With that soundtrack and say it has no atmosphere, then yea, something is wrong.

Sethos

Banned
Yea, here's one.

You must suck at identifying atmosphere if you think MP3 has none.

Yes, running through a game guns blazing with no dynamic weather, no immersion factor but just a hail of music, explosions, cutscenes and different levels is on the same page as one of the most beautifully crafted open world games where a dynamic weather effect like a thunderstorm that slowly builds in the distant with a low rumbling, moves closer and looks stunning only to end up in a dark scene, rain falling, seeing people take cover, puddles of water form where there previously was dust. You see the water getting caught by the roof outlining and when you walk inside a bar with the music playing, you can still hear the rain outside.

Walking through the forest in RDR as it rains, you can hear the animals and know there's a bear watching you is the most amazing atmospheric and immersive thing I've ever experienced.

Your "Atmospheric" threshold must be infinitely low.

Honestly, if a next gen version is ever announced, this would probably be the first game I double dip on.

Fucking quoted for maximum truth. I can't wait to play this on my Xbox 360, but I will happily wait until 2014 to play it on my PS4.

Make it happen, Rockstar. We WILL double-dip, if the game is as delicious as we all believe it will be.

Zep

Banned
Yes, running through a game guns blazing with no dynamic weather, no immersion factor but just a hail of music, explosions and different levels is on the same page as one of the most beautifully crafted open world games where a dynamic weather effect like a thunderstorm that slowly builds in the distant with a low rumbling, moves closer and looks stunning only to end up in a dark scene, rain falling, seeing people take cover, puddles of water form where there previously was dust. You see the water getting caught by the roof outlining and when you walk inside a bar with the music playing, you can still hear the rain outside.

Fuck you must find every game 'atmospheric' then if you compare MP3 to RDR, lawl.

Do everyone a favor here and instead of saying MP3 has no atmosphere, invest in some good headphones or something cause you're obviously missing a lot.

Oh yea, go back through the Favela level one more time and after
Fabiana gets killed
and pay attention to the surroundings...If that's not 'atmosphere', then yea, you really have no idea what you're talking about and just went guns blazing! through the game.

And another thing, nobody compared RDR & MP3's atmosphere...You did. I'm only arguing your asinine point that Max Payne had none.

Fjordson

I think Max Payne 3 had some nice spots of atmosphere. That outdoors docks level with the rain was pretty dope. I love the dynamic soundtrack during quiet moments like that since you're sneaking around in the beginning.

The club scene was great. Really fit the vibe of a hyped night club. Reminded me of Collateral.

I also loooved the atmosphere in the flashback levels in New Jersey. With the snow and everything.

Others not as much since there was a lot of action and they were mostly indoors (not a bad thing, just different from the aforementioned levels).

Sethos

Banned
Do everyone a favor here and instead of saying MP3 has no atmosphere, invest in some good headphones or something cause you're obviously missing a lot.

Oh yea, go back through the Favela level one more time and after
Fabiana gets killed
and pay attention to the surroundings...If that's not 'atmosphere', then yea, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, please tell me the amped HD650s I was using at the times weren't up for the job. Stop this desperate shit like I was sitting in a damp washroom with my $25 logitech headphones playing it at 3FPS on a 10" monitor. Atmosphere and immersion are two terms that go hand in hand, for either to be true the other has to be present -- A linear TPS that is riddled with unskippable cutscenes and a wildly varying soundtrack just doesn't ooze either of them. I didn't say it was void of 'atmosphere' but putting it ABOVE RDR is mind-boggling.

And I say again, our definition of atmosphere in games must differ.

Zep

Banned
Yes, please tell me the amped HD650s I was using at the times weren't up for the job. Stop this desperate shit like I was sitting in a damp washroom with my $25 logitech headphones playing it at 3FPS on a 10" monitor. Atmosphere and immersion are two terms that go hand in hand, for either to be true the other has to be present -- A linear TPS that is riddled with unskippable cutscenes and a wildly varying soundtrack just doesn't ooze either of them. I didn't say it was void of 'atmosphere' but putting it ABOVE RDR is mind-boggling.

Yea, we're finished here. You're clueless.

Huh.

Raiden

Banned
Yea, we're finished here. You're clueless.

Maybe he just liked Max Payne 2 more compared to that dumb bald guy you play in MP3 who is nothing like Max Payne besides sharing the same name.

MP3 has great mechanics and gunplay and thats about it.

iNvid02

for all its faults AC3 had some fantastic weather and seasonal cycles, added to the atmosphere massively

GTA V sounds better the more i hear

Sethos

Banned
Maybe he just liked Max Payne 2 more compared to that dumb bald guy you play in MP3 who is nothing like Max Payne besides sharing the same name.

Pretty much.

for all its faults AC3 had some fantastic weather and seasonal cycles, added to the atmosphere massively

GTA V sounds better the more i hear

The snow in AC was amazing, so well done.

If GTA V adds the RDR style of weather with slow build-ups, clouds slowly rolling in, distant rain clouds etc. I might have a heart attack.

He has hair for most of the game. And to say he's nothing like the Max from the first two games is plain wrong.

BigDug13

Hopefully they do make it also for the next generation consoles. That would hopefully result in the PC port running far better than GTA4 does on PC because it would have been more heavily developed for PC-type hardware that the PS4 and XBone will be sporting.

That's my hope, but we'll see.

Raiden

Banned
He has hair for most of the game. And to say he's nothing like the Max from the first two games is plain wrong.

Yes, the voice-actor is still the same. Its basically like Kojima would sell the MGS franchise and they made a simple shooter out of it. Perhaps you would still be playing as Snake but the soul is gone.

I'm just bitter at what happened to Max Payne 3 because i loved first two. It's still a pretty good game but just takes a big dump on what Max Payne used to be.

Marleyman

Banned
Yes, the voice-actor is still the same. Its basically like Kojima would sell the MGS franchise and they made a simple shooter out of it. Perhaps you would still be playing as Snake but the soul is gone.

I'm just bitter at what happened to Max Payne 3 because i loved first two. It's still a pretty good game but just takes a big dump on what Max Payne used to be.

What soul is gone? It isn't set in the same situation as the previous two. I think this take is more realistic than the previous 2 games actually; I loved it.

Marleyman

Banned
I didn't see this posted: some details from a guy who demo'ed game.

His rough drawing of the HUD http://puu.sh/3358J.jpg

Weapons can not be used whilst parachuting

The camera angle was different to RDR and IV, it wasn't as close to the protagonist but not too far away

The invite to the event http://i.imgur.com/k1px2a8.jpg

Merchandise he received http://i.imgur.com/1h3yKCJ.jpg

The new weapon wheel is very Red Dead Redemption like and of course replaces the weapon scroll system from IV

The game overall is more colorful, cheerful and relaxed than IV and the interactions between protags are "great"

The gore level wasn't any different from what we saw in the recent trailers

Framerate was smooth and stayed at 30 FPS all through the demo

When driving the radar becomes 3D and almost flat, like a Sat-Nav

The radar is now rectangular and panoramic

The graphics looked as good as Red Dead Redemption but weren't as good as seen in the trailer.

The HUD did not contain a speedometer.

The radar features a bar underneath formed of 3 smaller 1/4 bars of health, armour and special.

The car handling LOOKED alot better, almost like MCLA

The demo was played on a debug PS3

We need to carefully choose where we put our getaway vehicle (they put it under the bridge) since pedestrians could take a picture of suspect vehicle and cause problems for us.

The character control isn't awkward or glitchy like Niko's was

The minmap is in bottom left and when asked Klaus told us it wasn't styled like a blueprint

The pedestrians are more alive than in IV

Althought they didn't properly see the map it felt bigger than IV

When bringing up the weapon wheel, time slows down

Los Santos' small details include rats seen scurrying on the streets

The health regenerates to 50%, after that you need powerups to recover

Catchy radio songs were heard, including one Klaus (The Redditor) heard on a Polish radio last year

Lazlow was strongly hinted to be back

No mission complete music (or he didnt get to hear any)

Each character has the same running speed

The mission he saw (Van Heist from the recent trailers) was very cinematic and contained one long intro cutscene and 2 or 3 smaller cutscenes.

RATS

Top Bottom