• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

I just hope this game breaks some new ground.

Not just a "GTA4, but bigger" package.

well, having 3 characters is already something innovative and new. or when was the last time you played a huge open-world game where you could switch between 3 main characters at will, and when you weren't playing as them they would be out doing their thing? i think it's cool as hell, and probably much harder to incorporate into the game then we think, must have been a nightmare for the programmers. it's a really ambitious feature.

BigDug13

San Andreas was a masterpiece compared to GTA3 and came at the end of the PS2's lifecycle. I fully expect GTA5 to be a masterpiece compared to GTA4, coming at the end of the PS3/360 lifecycle.

Horns

San Andreas was a masterpiece compared to GTA3 and came at the end of the PS2's lifecycle. I fully expect GTA5 to be a masterpiece compared to GTA4, coming at the end of the PS3/360 lifecycle.

This is what I keep saying.

GTA III was an amazing game at the time and the baseline that they used to build on. GTA IV was much the same way as GTA III, it was the first title using new technology. The improvements that build on first title are what makes the sequels so amazing.

I just hope this game breaks some new ground.

Not just a "GTA4, but bigger" package.

Besides the fact it clearly is breaking new ground in many ways, its a whole new city. Look at SR4 which is the exact same Steelport but "bigger n craziezizier" and look what a better company will do for the same price.

dejay

Banned
I hope this is some sort of weird joke.

Nope. In fact I'm gonna pre-order it just to cancel it and when they ask me why I'm cancelling my pre-order, I'll murmur something about recycled bags and push a magazine rack over on the way out of the store.

GlamFM

Banned
Nothing wrong with posting the "scan" I guess.

This seems to be a promo card.

Apparently this GTA V pre-order promo card has been found in newly shipped Red Dead Redemption Game of the Year editions.

rn9J8U8.jpg

Fjordson

Hoping some cool stuff comes out of E3 and The Last of Us / Shadowrun Returns deliver. Will distract me from GTA V for a while.

Fjordson

Hope State of Decay will eat up a nice chunk of my time.
Oh yeah that's right, I meant to play the demo last night. My friend with mostly similar gaming tastes to mine is having a blast with it and the GAF OT is filled with positive impressions. Definitely looks promising.

News Bot

Banned
Reusing assets is fine. Would you rather a modeler wasted their time making yet another goddamn bag when there's a perfectly fine one already available in the exact same series?

GlamFM

Banned
Reusing assets is fine. Would you rather a modeler wasted their time making yet another goddamn bag when there's a perfectly fine one already available in the exact same series?

Correct.

Although that would have been a hot selling point.
"We´ve rebuilt all the bags from the ground up" -.-

UrbanRats

Agreed.
They also reused vehicles, the parachute models and probably a whole lot of other stuff.
As long as it fits the new setting and it's not jarring, i'm happy they didn't waste time and money on modeling useless crap.

Besides, it's the same gameworld, those bags are sold nation(probably world)wide. :p

Rashid

Banned
There has to be something wrong with this have. There's always something. Everything I've heard is so perfect. Imagine if it released on PC six months later with full mid tool support and a proper release with optimization and amazing ultra graphics.

Why would anyone bother customizing a car in GTA? It's just going to get exploded within 30 minutes of whatever mission/random chaos you embark on next. Unless it's persistent and will always respawn in, say, a particular house's garage, like you've got a taste for a certain souped-up mustang and it's like you're constantly rebuying them after the last one got blown up in a shootout.

Why would anyone bother customizing a car in GTA? It's just going to get exploded within 30 minutes of whatever mission/random chaos you embark on next. Unless it's persistent and will always respawn in, say, a particular house's garage, like you've got a taste for a certain souped-up mustang and it's like you're constantly rebuying them after the last one got blown up in a shootout.

I think this is pretty key here. With the reintroduction of garages, I'm hoping for some persistence in cars, at least for one character (say, Franklin). Saints Row 1 improved car persistence from the GTA games and I thought that GTA IV would end up borrowing the concept from them, where your cars are accessible in any of your garages, except they aren't automagically fixed up when you enter and exit the garage... you have to pay a small fee for those repairs. It really gave you a sense of vehicle ownership.

GTA IV took a big step back with this. Not only weren't their actual garages, but car ownership was practically nonexistence. I think you that you could park your car in front of your apartment in a designated spot, but it wasn't the same as in San Andreas where garages were obvious and worked consistently. I still think I'd park a rare car outside my apartment, and when I'd come out, it would change into an SUV.

So, with vehicle mods, I'm suspecting that Rockstar will be implementing some sort of vehicle ownership system... Even if maybe it's just for when you're racing or for designated times in the game. I just can't imagine implementing a robust modification system ALA Midnight Club, and then have the player junk every car like usual.

sunnz

and this first glimpse of GTA V’s vehicle handling suggests it’s more forgiving than the exacting system its predecessor employed

Well, that is quite disappointing. cars still better over/under steer and the traction control should be a lot less so you can actually spin out.

People should be punished for going too fast into corners, simple.

It took like 10 minutes for me to adjust to the driving in IV, very simple and once you know what to do, hardly even challenging.

I wish R* would make it simple and have a normal and simulation mode like mafia 2 does, that would be the best.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
GTA 5 Gameplay Details, Soundtrack Information Discovered

· You no longer gather ammo just by passing over it. Now you have to press a button.

· KWKR is the first confirmed radio.

· A HEALTH remix of a The xx song was played in said station.

· Crews can schedule their missions though Rockstar Social Club.

· Week days return and will affect gameplay.

· Each radio will comment on the aftermath of the missions, like SA and VCS.

· You can place a bike in the Bobcat.

· It's impossible to shoot friends.

· Line of sight system works as perfectly as a stealth game.

Muffdraul

Well, that is quite disappointing. cars still better over/under steer and the traction control should be a lot less so you can actually spin out.

People should be punished for going too fast into corners, simple.

It took like 10 minutes for me to adjust to the driving in IV, very simple and once you know what to do, hardly even challenging.

I wish R* would make it simple and have a normal and simulation mode like mafia 2 does, that would be the best.

It took me a lot longer than 10 minutes to adapt, but in the end I thought GTA IV had some of the best driving ever, including compared to many dedicated racing games. It was a major improvement over the previous GTAs. But it certainly wasn't perfect. It sounds to me like GTA V is going to be even more improved. Win-win.

dejay

Banned
There's a new scan from a Korean magazine just popped up - nothing new or exciting though.

You no longer gather ammo just by passing over it. Now you have to press a button.
I really hate that chore in games.

Top Bottom