• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Pachimari

I have RDR on 360 and Undead Nightmare on Ps3.
The difference in IQ is very visible.

Wait..

As preparation for GTA V, I'm thinking of going out and get Red Dead Redemption today (or tomorrow) as I have never played it before but which version is the better one?

Have in mind that I don't have Xbox Live Gold.

Wait..

As preparation for GTA V, I'm thinking of going out and get Red Dead Redemption today (or tomorrow) as I have never played it before but which version is the better one?

360 version. PS3 version has a Sub-HD resolution and a worse framerate.

UrbanRats

Wait..

I don't have XBL either.

The 360 version is better all around, but you have to pay to play online.
I barely play online, so it wasn't a big deal for me, i used the 48 hours trial included and was ok with that.

Some people seem to notice the IQ differences more than others, to me they were very obvious and distracting, other people barely seem to notice, so, YMMV.
EDIT: more obvious comparison:

iM35HkHsX56Rf.png

i4R4OK2baRGlM.gif

Fjordson

The RDR multiplayer is actually pretty fun, but I'm not sure how active it is these days. Probably should just go with 360.

That map doesn't look very big to me. Maybe I'm crazy or I'm remembering wrong or something, but it doesn't seem like it's much bigger than San Andreas.

The highway system doesn't look extensive, either. SA had more highways (but it also had three cities, so it was sort of logical, I guess).

I know it's a fan-made map and all, but yeah.

The blueprint is most likely scaled at 1 inch = 1/4 mile. Everything works well at that size - the 5 x RDR measurement fits and comparisons of the maps and screenshots of IV and V look good.

1 inch = 1/4 mile scale gives you this:

O2bA2aW.jpg

Disappointed to find out it's an island.

Prefer Red Dead style mountains.

Ones you can't fly over?

The blueprint is most likely scaled at 1 inch = 1/4 mile. Everything works well at that size - the 5 x RDR measurement fits and comparisons of the maps and screenshots of IV and V look good.

http://i.imgur.com/O2bA2aW.jpg

Although it's possible there are legends/guides that fill up some of that space, maybe.

UrbanRats

O2bA2aW.jpg

Isn't that SA map too big? The buildings should be huge, compared to GTA IV and V.

Also, GTA IV+GTA SA+RDR, with room to spare?

sunnz

I would have loved it instead of LARGE area of water ( around the map) there was just a LARGE land of sand/ desert, that would be awesome.

Or have the top half an endless desert, bottom half/ sides ocean.

equap

Banned
I don't have XBL either.

The 360 version is better all around, but you have to pay to play online.
I barely play online, so it wasn't a big deal for me, i used the 48 hours trial included and was ok with that.

Some people seem to notice the IQ differences more than others, to me they were very obvious and distracting, other people barely seem to notice, so, YMMV.
EDIT: more obvious comparison:

iM35HkHsX56Rf.png

i4R4OK2baRGlM.gif
was PS3 GTA4 this soft looking compared to the 360 version? I hope this isn't the case for GTA5.

was PS3 GTA4 this soft looking compared to the 360 version? I hope this isn't the case for GTA5.

RDR and GTA IV were both 640p on PS3 and 720p on Xbox, but overall I believe RDR had the most profound difference in visuals of the Rockstar RAGE games. Fortunately, Max Payne 3 was 720p for both, which is hopefully a result of optimizations to the engine and not just due to the smaller scale of the game.

Dug

Banned
This been posted yet?

GTA V at E3?

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=559161

http://www.e3insider.com/exhibitor/view/188/grand-theft-auto-v/28985/

Now, we have absolutely no information as to what exactly is going to be shown (or not). Could just be information we already know. Stalls with the pre-order posters to promote the game. A replay of trailers. A closed doors secret demo to press. Anything.

The only thing we do know is that this E3 Insider site is very real and is listing GTA V there, BUT we also know Rockstar do not normally attend E3 to showcase GTA games.

E3 is still over a week away, so we will not be allowing any topics on it for the time being or until something more solid comes to light.

I hope that's all cleared up, and I have my fingers crossed alongside everyone else that this really means they will be there this year!

Quote from
Kirsty on GTAforums

Dug

Banned
Interesting.. Maybe they want to be involved this time round, since it'll have a big focus on launching next-generation gaming.

They've even added a booth number. Hopefully they'll surprise everyone and announce GTA V for PC.
Funny thing is it says PC on the E3 insider website. It's probably a mistake though.

Isn't that SA map too big? The buildings should be huge, compared to GTA IV and V.

Also, GTA IV+GTA SA+RDR, with room to spare?

SA - 14 square miles (land and water)

IV - 6.5 square miles (land and water)

RDR - 5.5 square miles of reachable area

At the size I have it, the blueprint map would be around 30 square miles. That works with Rockstar's statement that the total area of V is 5 times RDR which is SA + IV + RDR with room to spare.

dejay

Banned
Anyone think that the highway speeds in this game are gonna be as insane as they were in SA? I had totally forgotten how fast they were until I played some of it over the weekend. Oh God, the crashes and pileups!

I thought Rockstar said that they would not be showing GTAV at E3?

Also, re: the square mileage... I just don't get why that gets people excited. The games are a different scale, a mile means something completely different in Red Dead Redemption than it does in GTAIV or GTA:SA. If you could drop a motorcyle from GTA:SA into RDR and traverse land at the same speed and way that you could in GTA:SA, then it would take no time at all to travel the entire length of the map.

RDR is a large landmass, but much of the sense of size comes in that your primary vehicle (horse) is slow, cannot jump off edges, and is limited to basically only traveling on defined paths that purposely do not take you in a straight line from point A to point B. Areas of Mexico especially are much smaller than they actually seem, because the roads cut through plateaus that are not easily traversed by your horse.

That all being said, I hope Los Santos is considerably larger than RDR... It has air craft.

Raptomex

Anyone think that the highway speeds in this game are gonna be as insane as they were in SA? I had totally forgotten how fast they were until I played some of it over the weekend. Oh God, the crashes and pileups!
Lol you know what's awesome, climbing Mt. Chiliad and watching the planes crash into the mountain.

Marleyman

Banned
Rockstar being @ E3 would be different for them. Could it be some type of exclusive deal w/ either MS or Sony for a next gen GTA V timed exclusive?

The Rockstar @ E3 rumors contradict what Rockstar has said about E3 this year:

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/gta5/news/rockstar_wont_be_showing_gta_5_at_e3.html

"Both Rockstar Games and 2K have instead decided to focus their marketing and PR efforts on a series of events throughout the spring and summer. Our team, however, will be present at the show, and we look forward to seeing many of you there."

"Our philosophy on the show is that we like the show, we participate in a meaningful way in the show," he later added. "It's a great place for the industry to get together, and we're highly supportive of it. This year it just didn't make sense for us at the same level."

Rockstar's E3 absence joins sister company 2K, which confirmed last month that it would not be exhibiting at the show.

The team will be at the show but not presenting anything.

That won't happen until after release. Rockstar's GTA videos are always cinematic. Trailers, usually.

They have been cinematic and yet include gameplay footage in the past. GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas all featured trailers that were both cinematic and featured actual gameplay.

I'm unsure about GTA4.

The trailers that have come out for GTA5 have by far been the most cinematic of any trailers for any GTA that came before it. There is also no discernible, confirmed gameplay shown in any of them, yet I can imagine the Franklin trailer shows some actual driving/helicopter gameplay.

i just think it will be GOTY

is that a problem?

I'm guessing the reaction is because you bumped a thread just to say "GOTY," no new info, no in-depth thoughts, and nothing truly important or interesting (no offense lol).

This thread is not really old, though. Just be careful when bumping old threads, especially with posts like that. It will likely lead to a ban.

RedSunday

Banned
I'm guessing the reaction is because you bumped a thread just to say "GOTY," no new info, no in-depth thoughts, and nothing truly important or interesting (no offense lol).

This thread is not really old, though. Just be careful when bumping old threads, especially with posts like that. It will likely lead to a ban.

ok, I apologize

Fjordson

It's alright, I don't think he's far off. I'll borrow a gif from a different GTA V thread to illustrate how I feel about GTA V:

graphics_horse.gif

Red I saw in the other thread that you weren't a fan of IV, what changes or additions to V make you excited? Just for curiosity's/discussion's sake.

Edit: annnd he's banned. Shit =[

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just saw a new scan of the jewelry store robbery.

Pretty cool.

UrbanRats

the two far right upper most small cities are clearly cut and paste, for someone who spent that much time doing photoshop I'm surprised he let that slide, makes it very fake.

It's not trying to make it pass as a fake, they're trying to piece together the map going by triangulations from screens and videos.

Sethos

Banned
the two far right upper most small cities are clearly cut and paste, for someone who spent that much time doing photoshop I'm surprised he let that slide, makes it very fake.

It's a fanmade map, it's not being passed off as a Rockstar official.

Top Bottom